[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

The passengers:

Petey                4 points

Hronek              0 points

Mikhayev          0 points

Lafferty             0 points

While Cole hasn't been a 'passenger' his age, and speed are starting to show, also had a lot of bad luck recently.

guy has had a good pro career, but if he plays next year, I hope it is for a different team.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Hronek is lucky, that Petey, is struggling- and getting all the press.

#2 d man has been brutal, a bad second half of the season, and horrible in the play offs.

Demko injured, Hronek and Petey missing------ still made it to 2-2 in the second round.

Sadly, this could quickly turn into the 'what could have been' playoffs.

Would be wise to trade Hronek for Theodore? 

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Tocc has said publicly that Petey is not injured. He has also said that Petey needs to contribute more. He is also playing him 20min a game.

All things you wouldn't say or do if he was injured....

No, he said before Game 3 he was down with some kind of illness at that time.

Flu?  Something else longer term?   He wasn't specific.

But now Tocchet is pointing his finger at Pettersson and saying he needs to play better.

Let me be clear.  I really want him to turn it around.  For me, yes the play is awful, but its the interviews that have me more upset.  He treats the media with such diadain and arrogance.  Like how dare you ask me a question.  This is not the attitude of a leader or a mature adult.  I dunno...for the sake of the team, the fans and petey himself im just not sure 8 more years of this is good for anyone.

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

The passengers:

While Cole hasn't been a 'passenger' his age, and speed are starting to show, also had a lot of bad luck recently.

guy has had a good pro career, but if he plays next year, I hope it is for a different team.

I wouldn't call Petey a passenger though, as he's been quite good defensively.  Again, to me this is a coaching issue as much, or more, than it is a players issue.  RT has made absolutely zero adjustments to their game plan and the game plan of curling up and protecting your vital organs while the other guy kicks you repeatedly is not a good one.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, MathIsFun said:

I've seen Juulson make those hits up near the blue line only to leave an odd man rush behind him that results in a goal. I can remember three, maybe four times this year.

We've also seen Chaos Giraffe make mistakes in the regular season, and Ian Cole has cost us at least 4 goals this series.

Yet that seems to be ok?

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not sure if any team would want the guy, at this point.

RFA- and allegedly seeking a big raise.

Not at peak value, but perhaps some kind of return, and the cap space, would be enough?

More cap for Zads, Joshua and/or Lindholm?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

The passengers:

That's the list right there.

Petey needs to be given an opportunity with Lindholm.

Hronek is what it is.  He's still our best option as top pair RHD.

Mik is a solid bottom 6 guy.  He shouldn't be eating top 6 minutes.

Lafferty can do a lot more than he has in a 4th line role.  Hoglander should be on the 4th line in place of him. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

We'd have to add draft picks we don't have. But at this point.

I'd trade Petey and Hronek for Barzal and Dobson. Problem is I don't think that fits the Islanders salary cap.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I wouldn't want Juulsen to stop hitting because of it.  He will learn through experience when to go for the hit, and when not to.  Some coaching from Foote will help with that as well.

In basically playing 50% of the regular season the poster said he saw this 3 times; I'm okay with that. What he needs to understand now is he doesn't need to play like that in the playoffs; wait for your opportunity to hit vs seek it out against a fast talented team like Edm. I guarantee he will not make that mistake again on Thursday.

All in on the Cole out Juulsen in band wagon. IF we go on, we can revisit, but Cole is gassed at this point. He made WAY more mistakes last night that Juulsen's one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

No, he said before Game 3 he was down with some kind of illness at that time.

Flu?  Something else longer term?   He wasn't specific.

But now Tocchet is pointing his finger at Pettersson and saying he needs to play better.

This team had two highly skilled, high scoring players who could change a game with their skill.  One went from 39 goals to what, 8 in a half season and was run out of town because he didn't thrive in a grinding defensive system?

The other is, possibly, the most highly skilled individual player the org has ever had and whose offense has disappeared in this grinding, defensive system.  

At what point is it a coach's responsibility to adjust his own system  to let a player like Petey and Kuz do what they do best?  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

In basically playing 50% of the regular season the poster said he saw this 3 times; I'm okay with that. What he needs to understand now is he doesn't need to play like that in the playoffs; wait for your opportunity to hit vs seek it out against a fast talented team like Edm. I guarantee he will not make that mistake again on Thursday.

All in on the Cole out Juulsen in band wagon. IF we go on, we can revisit, but Cole is gassed at this point. He made WAY more mistakes last night that Juulsen's one.

As I said last night, I wasn't crazy about that choice of action there, but why weren't the nearby fwds back checking and covering his ass?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't call Petey a passenger though, as he's been quite good defensively. 

I'd say we can agree, he is not driving the bus.

So if he isn't the bus driver, and he's not a passenger; does that make him the  guide, on one of those excursion tours?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Not sure if any team would want the guy, at this point.

RFA- and allegedly seeking a big raise.

Not at peak value, but perhaps some kind of return, and the cap space, would be enough?

More cap for Zads, Joshua and/or Lindholm?

It might work out well for Van if they can keep him at a much more reasonable price.  

• Cheers 2

I'm ok if Hogs is in place of Lafferty, or even Mik.

But remember he has 1 assist in the playoffs so far. Why would Hogs suddenly turn on the Jets?

Is he better than PDG, or Lafferty? Yes.

But would he suddenly turn into a gamebreaker? He's not playing the way he was in the regular season. When checking gets tight he's not as effective.

I'd rather give Podz a shot, if anything to help out with the forechecking, and crashing the Oilers.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't call Petey a passenger though, as he's been quite good defensively.  Again, to me this is a coaching issue as much, or more, than it is a players issue.  RT has made absolutely zero adjustments to their game plan and the game plan of curling up and protecting your vital organs while the other guy kicks you repeatedly is not a good one.

Good description of what has been happening in both the Nashville and Edmonton series.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

This team had two highly skilled, high scoring players who could change a game with their skill.  One went from 39 goals to what, 8 in a half season and was run out of town because he didn't thrive in a grinding defensive system?

The other is, possibly, the most highly skilled individual player the org has ever had and whose offense has disappeared in this grinding, defensive system.  

At what point is it a coach's responsibility to adjust his own system  to let a player like Petey and Kuz do what they do best?  

I’d probably argue that Pavel Bure is the most gifted individual player we’ve ever had. That system helped the team to its first division title and 100 pt season in nearly a decade. Kuzmenko was traded to Calgary and Lindholm came here, a player who’s played a big part in our best playoff run since 2011. Pettersson has zero excuses, great players find a way to contribute. 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's the list right there.

Petey needs to be given an opportunity with Lindholm.

Hronek is what it is.  He's still our best option as top pair RHD.

Mik is a solid bottom 6 guy.  He shouldn't be eating top 6 minutes.

Lafferty can do a lot more than he has in a 4th line role.  Hoglander should be on the 4th line in place of him. 

Couldn't agree more. All this POs is doing is driving Hronek's value down; we still need to resign him, and hopefully at a lower cap. I think people lose sight how much him and QH have been tasked to skate with McDs stacked line.

Having 4 competent centers gives u the opportunity to do as you are suggesting, and Petey needs to be given this opportunity. I appreciate Mik's skating and speed, but the guy has hands of stone and is invisible in the physical dept. He isnt a liability, and should have to work himself off the 4th at this point. The following lineup gives us the best chance to compete in my opinion:

Suter-Miller-Beoser

Petey-Lindholm-Podz

Dakota-Blueger-Garland

Laff-Aman-Mik

Hughes-Hronek

Zad-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm ok if Hogs is in place of Lafferty, or even Mik.

But remember he has 1 assist in the playoffs so far. Why would Hogs suddenly turn on the Jets?

Is he better than PDG, or Lafferty? Yes.

But would he suddenly turn into a gamebreaker? He's not playing the way he was in the regular season. When checking gets tight he's not as effective.

I'd rather give Podz a shot, if anything to help out with the forechecking, and crashing the Oilers.

What good will that be when the style  they're playing is to let the Oilers have the puck for 75% of the game?  There are many better forecheckers on the team than Podz and they're doing nothing, so why would podz make a difference?

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

As I said last night, I wasn't crazy about that choice of action there, but why weren't the nearby fwds back checking and covering his ass?  

In fairness, Juulsen took one out too 😆

2 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

I’d probably argue that Pavel Bure is the most gifted individual player we’ve ever had. That system helped the team to its first division title and 100 pt season in nearly a decade. Kuzmenko was traded to Calgary and Lindholm came here, a player who’s played a big part in our best playoff run since 2011. Pettersson has zero excuses, great players find a way to contribute. 

That's fair

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yep, at a certain point, the coach needs to realize we need to be able to create offence, and not just on a transition.  A strong offence with forechecking can easily eat up 2 to 3min.  That's 2 to 3min NOT in our end of the ice.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'd say we can agree, he is not driving the bus.

So if he isn't the bus driver, and he's not a passenger; does that make him the  guide, on one of those excursion tours?

He's a RT "needs to get going"...not a pure passenger.