[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Good point. Hronek is about Hronek only. Might be best to not look for a player in return and just move on from the player. 

Is he? All we have heard is a rumour he turned down a low offer. In the end, he's an RFA, and this is how negotiations with RFAs go; there is no fire drill. 

Having said this, we need some resolution to allow the team to plan beyond. Devoting time to negotiating fair offers with Zad and Lindholm is a priority, BUT you have to know what your 2024/25 compensation will be for Hronek before then.

6 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Yeah, just enjoying it myself. 

So many good moments already and it's only second round.  Rollercoaster ride for sure.   

Not sure why people are talking about contracts now.  It's playoffs.  Leave that for the off season. 

i do have to keep reminding myself that the 2nd round is beyond what i was expecting from the season

the future is bright. 

i just hate hate hate the oilers. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Is this a serious question?

Yes.

Does Pettersson improve whatever line he's on?  Can he drive a line? 

Last they reunited the Lotto Line, he struggled - and that line struggled (if I recall)

He turned a 24 goal Hoglander into a playoff dud.

Petey's in a Super Funk, got the Yips. Hope he figures it out before it's over.

Edited by Nucker67

3 minutes ago, Psb_08 said:

They had a strong forecheck all year and kept pushing forward at the red line. I feel like, as good as Silovs has played, this conceding has to do with protecting him from too many high danger chaces. Wtih demko in net they don't sit back, we seen it all season. 

If this is the case, then RT needs to adjust. Arty has shown he can at least play at a competent level, and will win the goalie battle with whatever the oil can roll out. Once again, defensive play is ok...passive is not.

Anyone caught the potential high stick last minute of the 3rd period when we shot the puck out and Draisatle knocked it down which appears to look like a high stick near the blue line and 8seconds later the Oilers scores the game winner? Not sure why we didn't challenge that. Looks like the Ref missed it!! 

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They had a chance to put the Oilers on the brink and played their most uninspired game this series.

And that's experience IMO.  Champion teams know that when you have a team on the brink, that's when you play even harder.  You finish them off when they're already down. 

• Cheers 4

13 minutes ago, 24K said:

Our best course of action is to trade Hronek for a legit scoring winger for Petey. Doesn't have to be a long term contracted player as Leki is waiting in the wings. 

Use that money to resign one or two of Zadorov/Lindholm/Joshua and a ufa stay at hime d man to play with Hughes. 

We have Willander coming in to take #2 stop in a year or two so we really only need a stop gag so signing Hronek to 6 or 7 year for what he wants is not the wisest use of cap. 

So write off next year or two and back to being short on RHD?

So who takes Hronek's spot? McWard? Johansson? Woo?

Put Petey on Lindholm's wing, and either Karlsson, or Hogs on the other wing.

Lekk is possible next year too.

And trade for a big all around defenceman, someone who can be physical, and still put up 30 points-ish.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

And that's experience IMO.  Champion teams know that when you have a team on the brink, that's when you play even harder.  You finish them off when they're already down. 

Yup, playoff experience is huge. They're going to have to be better though, particularly if they get past the Oilers. That kind of  performance would have them buried by a team like Dallas. 

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

True. 

Nux not even playing well yet.  

Last night was the first regulation loss vs Oilers this season. 

Guys need to step it up big time for game 5.  Not just EP.  JT, QH, Hronek Mik etc. 

Geoff Courtnall just said on DD that there can be no passengers on a big run.  Everyone is needed. 

This is how the nux played all year, and why Kuz is now gone. I'm not 100% sure why some guys aren't jazzed to be in this opportunity. I thought guys like Hogs would find another gear like Garland; he just disappeared, though he played physical and got the same treatment all year. Actually kind of pathetic for a guy trying to prove he belongs.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So write off next year or two and back to being short on RHD?

So who takes Hronek's spot? McWard? Johansson? Woo?

Put Petey on Lindholm's wing, and either Karlsson, or Hogs on the other wing.

Lekk is possible next year too.

And trade for a big all around defenceman, someone who can be physical, and still put up 30 points-ish.

What. I never said that. 

I am talking about signings an older veteran rhd that can pair up with Quinn. They don't have to be flashy just solid in his own end to allow Quinn to do what he needed to do. This have to be a shorter term ufa as we don't have one in house. Ideally a 4 year term. Two to cover Willander development time in ncaa and ahl and two more before he needs a second contract. 

For what Hronek wants, it is inadvisable to re-sign him and what he can bring back can address other needs. 

I think I'd like to see these line changes too:

Lindholm - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Pettersson - Garland

As shown in the last few games, Lindholm + Boeser are great together. Slot Pettersson in with Joshua & Garland in Lindholm's place so he has better linemates and hopefully generate as well.

• Like 1

If Petey was 19 or 20 or 21, then I would give him a lot of leeway. But Petey is 25 years old (26 in November), playing in his 6th season, his 2nd playoffs. 

Petey is struggling under Tocchet because I don't think he can play Tocchet hockey, and he has no confidence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Or, he has a personality issue with the coach, who doesn't seem to do well with highly skilled players 

Imagine being the top C and looking at the lineup and seeing the other C's get Garland, Joshua and Boeser and you get stuck with Mikhaev and an AHL black ace?  And then get crucified in the media for lack of production?

On top of that every pk you face loads up on your side to take you out of the pp and the coach makes zero adjustments to that pp to change that?

Yeah maybe... nevertheless, I refuse to believe a top player and competitor would down tools during the SC playoffs... 

Its the pinnacle of every hockey players career unless they win it... 

If Petey is unhappy with the coach, we'll find out soon enough, cause he'll get traded if that is the case...

1 minute ago, 24K said:

Have to be buyout. Don't think we can trade him for anything. 

Can they just waive him to play in Abby? (next season) Mik needs to re-earn his spot on this team. 

19 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

i do have to keep reminding myself that the 2nd round is beyond what i was expecting from the season

the future is bright. 

i just hate hate hate the oilers. 

This. Very much this. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Canuck-Man said:

I think I'd like to see these line changes too:

Lindholm - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Pettersson - Garland

As shown in the last few games, Lindholm + Boeser are great together. Slot Pettersson in with Joshua & Garland in Lindholm's place so he has better linemates and hopefully generate as well.

Would hate to see our 2 best face off guys on the same line... Those two are supposed to play as much as possible against McD...

13 hours ago, Foamys Ghost said:

If I was told at the start of the season that we'd be tied 2-2 in the 2nd round of the playoffs I would have thought it was a huge over achievement.

And with home ice advantage !

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1