[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Right now, he is playing more like a Sedin, who were not doing much in the playoffs until

they were 26. Until then, they were treated with the same disrespect as EP by the opposition.

Eventually, the twins started focussing on building up their core strength and ended up

around 190 lbs during their peak years.  They took an incredible amount of pounding, but

were still able to produce huge offensive #s.

Difference is, Sedins had a partner to pass the puck to.

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He was doing just fine up until the All Star Break.

And then the hard core defensive hockey was implemented in the name of preparing for the playoffs and his production tanked after that.

RT needs to understand that not all players have the same tool box and that you need to work with the unique tools each player has.  

Are they just going to take sn $11.6m dollar bath because RT wants every player to "grind it out"?  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

If Demko is cleared and team facing elimination, as an organization you have to play the horse that got you there to begin with especially over a rookie.

It is the same as the Lack and Luongo situation. If we don't play Demko in that situation then be ready to lose Demko. There will be no coming back from that.  

Hmm, that is admittedly something I wasn’t considering that Demko would be upset if not given the opportunity. Good point. Demko strikes me as a good supportive teammate, so I think he’d get it, but…he’s a competitor. Good point!

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The Canucks were always going to be a grinding, defensive team it they wanted to make

the playoffs and have any lick of a chance to win a series or 2.  Providing playoff

experience for the core was the goal and they have certainly acheived it.

Pete has been targeted in both series so far and that won't change.  He can barely breathe

for the # of times he has an opposition player grabbing, hitting, holding, punching or

pounding his head into the boards.  I don't see how Kuzy would have fared any better. 

He certainly wouldn't bring anything to the defensive game.

Young Pete's favourite player was Forsburg and I doubt it was solely due to his tremendous

offensive efforts.  Forsburg was a superstar who played the complete NHL game, in the

regular season and playoffs.

Right now, he is playing more like a Sedin, who were not doing much in the playoffs until

they were 26. Until then, they were treated with the same disrespect as EP by the opposition.

Eventually, the twins started focussing on building up their core strength and ended up

around 190 lbs during their peak years.  They took an incredible amount of pounding, but

I agree with much of that and have been saying that for some time.  But, it's up to the coach to make adjustments to change that and he hasn't.

RT sticks with the status quo for better of worse and while I agree with that yo a point, his job is to adjust to the reality on the ice and he's not doing that and he'll be hitting the golf course sooner rather than later if he doesn't actually coach

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Hmm, that is admittedly something I wasn’t considering that Demko would be upset if not given the opportunity. Good point. Demko strikes me as a good supportive teammate, so I think he’d get it, but…he’s a competitor. Good point!

Game 5 is coming up and hrs not even practicing with the team or even taking NHL shots of any kind.

This is Arty's party to the end, imo

• Cheers 1

They will play much better tomorrow night. The hitting will come back. The hustle will come back. Take an example from Garland on the effort needed at this time of year.

GO CANUCKS GO

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The Canucks were always going to be a grinding, defensive team it they wanted to make

the playoffs and have any lick of a chance to win a series or 2.  Providing playoff

experience for the core was the goal and they have certainly acheived it.

Pete has been targeted in both series so far and that won't change.  He can barely breathe

for the # of times he has an opposition player grabbing, hitting, holding, punching or

pounding his head into the boards.  I don't see how Kuzy would have fared any better. 

He certainly wouldn't bring anything to the defensive game.

Young Pete's favourite player was Forsburg and I doubt it was solely due to his tremendous

offensive efforts.  Forsburg was a superstar who played the complete NHL game, in the

regular season and playoffs.

I think the grinding, defensive team theory left along time ago. I see the Canucks as a offensive team that wants to out score their opponent.

Pettersson is just going through something that he has to figure out.  Note; One Sedin was ok. The magic was two.

Been reading most of the comments on here, and feel a lot of great fans seems to forget, what their predictions prior to this round was at the start of the round... 

I had Canucks in 6 or 7, and seem to recall the majority said similar...

Canucks are learning the ropes, and maybe Tocchet as a coach too, and this was never going to be a cake walk... 

The series is 2-2  and we are well in it...  just keep the trend going w-l-w-l-w-l-w and we are through... 

The boys can do much better, and I'm sure they'll be well up for it Thursday.... pay back day...

Not sure how Kane doesn't get a call for a cross check to the face of Myers that draws blood...but guess it is, what it is...

Hanging out certain players doesn't work... A few years back it was JT that was being hounded, then it was Brock and now its Petey... Let them find their feet and be happy that we actually looks like a proper team again... 

From the start of the season to now.... amazing improvement... hopefully it continues...

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Man I hate that I'm agreeing with you so much this morning, but yes, the best thing that could come out of this right now is that his price drops because of his playoff performance.  We re-sign him in a long term deal, and then he hits his ceiling in the coming few years as he reaches his prime thereby giving us positive value on his cap hit.

You're talking about Hronek, but one could easily put Petey's name in there instead.

Petey wanted to wait until the Summer to sign. The Canucks should have resisted the pressure from media personalities and other chicken little idiots who were raising the false flag that his not signing, a year and a half before his next contract was up, was somehow causing disruption on the team.  And some even went as far as saying that if they waited, he'd be so insulted that he'd take the qualifying offer for one year and pull a Tkachuk.......even though Petey himself wanted to wait! 

Because IF Petey continues this way until the team eventually bows out, (if we don't win the Cup), and the team had waited until Summer to start serious negotiations, we may have landed him for a much lower cap hit. Which of course would have helped to re-sign others. And as you stated about Hronek could also apply to Petey:  "and then he hits his ceiling in the coming few years as he reaches his prime thereby giving us positive value on his cap hit"

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Some of these question from Tocchet are extremely interesting. Top 2 lines stay together but everything else up in the air, including Podz/Hogs/Bains/Lekkerimaki(!?)

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Lindholm - Garland

Hoglander - Pettersson - Podkolzin/Lekkerimaki

Mikheyev - Blueger - Lafferty

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

yea and it doesnt make sense to put petey with joshua and garland. blueger already proved he can do the job there VERY well. 

petey-lindholm-hoglander

suter-miller-boeser

joshua-blueger-garland

mikheyev-aman-lafferty

amen put Petey on wing with Lindholm

play the crap out of those top 3 lines 2 wins left to get, lean on your top players now 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

yea and it doesnt make sense to put petey with joshua and garland. blueger already proved he can do the job there VERY well. 

petey-lindholm-hoglander

suter-miller-boeser

joshua-blueger-garland

mikheyev-aman-lafferty

Yeah something like that is what I would want  as well....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 24K said:

What. I never said that. 

I am talking about signings an older veteran rhd that can pair up with Quinn. They don't have to be flashy just solid in his own end to allow Quinn to do what he needed to do. This have to be a shorter term ufa as we don't have one in house. Ideally a 4 year term. Two to cover Willander development time in ncaa and ahl and two more before he needs a second contract. 

For what Hronek wants, it is inadvisable to re-sign him and what he can bring back can address other needs. 

You said trade Hronek for a winger for Petey. What RHD veteran did you have in mind?

I say trade Hronek for an all around RHD. On a team that needs offence.

You'd probably find a veteran winger to work with Petey easier than finding a RHD veteran.

Posted (edited)

A couple have mentioned it before and got me thinking.

The Canucks goal this year was to make the playoffs. They did that, and anything beyond the 1st Round would be gravy.

Here we are, enjoying the gravy.  Our team is tied with the Cup favourites, and we still have home ice advantage. Thee Canucks have a chance to turn it around next game and if they can win 2 of the next 3, they will have done something few of us imagined. We're so close. Coach Tocchet is pissed, the team is probably pissed. Soucy is back.

But for whatever reason, if the Canucks don't get passed the Oilers in the 2nd Round, they still achieved more than most expected. 

Vegas, Toronto and Winnipeg could only wish they were in our shoes. I'm going to really try and just appreciate this for what it is and enjoy the games while they're on. The offseason is long enough without Canucks hockey. Great to still be watching them.

Edited by Nucker67
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Some of these question from Tocchet are extremely interesting. Top 2 lines stay together but everything else up in the air, including Podz/Hogs/Bains/Lekkerimaki(!?)

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Lindholm - Garland

Hoglander - Pettersson - Podkolzin/Lekkerimaki

Mikheyev - Blueger - Lafferty

The big question is will lekkerimaki do worse than mik or Karlsson? No not really, put him with petey you have home ice and can get the matchups you want. Lekkerinaki is a shooter mik has a muffin for a shot, 1 goal in 50 games yet still playing with petey, not letting petey off the hook for his play but fuck me that’s gotta frustrate a guy to have that anchor stuck to you 

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

The Canucks goal this year was to make the playoffs. They did that, and anything beyond the 1st Round would be gravy.

Here we are, enjoying the gravy.  Our team is tied with the Cup favourites, and we still have home ice advantage. Thee Canucks have a chance to turn it around next game and if they can win 2 of the next 3, they will have done something few of us imagined. We're so close. Coach Tocchet is pissed, the team is probably pissed. Soucy is back.

But for whatever reason, if the Canucks don't get pasted the Oilers in the 2nd Round, they still achieved more than most expected. 

Vegas, Toronto and Winnipeg could only wish they were in our shoes. I'm going to really try and just appreciate this for what it is and enjoy the games while they're on. The offseason is long enough without Canucks hockey. Great to still be watching them.

bingo. We still have a great shot at curbing Edmonton. No one saw this team being this good, so fast. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

But for whatever reason, if the Canucks don't get pasted the Oilers in the 2nd Round, they still achieved more than most expected. 

100% 

Thats it !!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You said trade Hronek for a winger for Petey. What RHD veteran did you have in mind?

I say trade Hronek for an all around RHD. On a team that needs offence.

You'd probably find a veteran winger to work with Petey easier than finding a RHD veteran.

Sure that works as well. Point was we can use Hronek and his potential cap to address other needs or to resign some other players. 

Edited by 24K
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pycnotic said:

The big question is will lekkerimaki do worse than mik or Karlsson? No not really, put him with petey you have home ice and can get the matchups you want. Lekkerinaki is a shooter mik has a muffin for a shot, 1 goal in 50 games yet still playing with petey, not letting petey off the hook for his play but fuck me that’s gotta frustrate a guy to have that anchor stuck to you 

That's the thing, 1 look for Lek & it could be in the back of the net with his shot.

But to have never played a game then come right into the playoffs, for a 19 year old kid who's not overly strong & hasn't played the structure all year like other Abby guys...

I'm curious to see it but Tocchet would really be going out on a limb.