[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

13 minutes ago, YourHuckleberry said:

If he’s going to put the rookie in, putting him in at home make sense so he can try to shelter him, if needed. Might make more sense to try him in game 5 rather than game 7, if the series goes that far.

He could probably help the power play at the very least. I have not watched him play enough to know if his board play is strong enough for a regular shift though. 

I go back and forth about it. I could easily see him getting absolutely manhandled on the boards and struggling to keep up with the overall pace.

But god damn, we could really use his snipe ability on the PP since EP seems DOA.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Benching Petey?

line up was tongue in cheek

Not really serious, but it makes you wonder how much worse would we be without him in, considering all the ice time he uses.

:classic_ninja:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Psb_08 said:

Should have been 5 and a game at the very least,,if they at least called that correctly the last goal Kane played a pivotal role in (big hit) likely does not happen. 

yup. pretty crazy

14 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I'm no doctor, but Petey looks depressed. Just mumbling, short answers. I also don't get the feeling that he's about to break out and shine like a star next game. He looks lost.

I hope they can bring in Lek and maybe he and Petey get something going, get some points on the board. He needs to raise his confidence.

It's striking how different Miller and Petey react to game 4. Miller is emotional and expresses frustration at his play, while Petey is emotionally shut down and looks like he'd rather be somewhere else. Fans and teammates aren't going to be inspired by his unemotional and muted responses. Disappointing to see him choosing to respond this way.

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are Boeser and Miller suffering offensively right now?  What about Hughes and Lindholm?  They are doing just fine offensively.  Kuzmenko was a major liability defensively, he would have gotten eaten alive in this year's playoffs.  As for Petey, playing with Mikheyev where every puck goes to die isn't helpful.  Neither is playing with Lafferty or Karlsson.  Petey needs a legit top 6 winger just like everybody other elite centre does in the NHL, including Miller...

It really is that simple. It is tiring seeing his linemates every game then seeing people rip on him for not producing. He had a very good game earlier in the series and Hoglander had him open in maybe 3 prime spots and looked him off. That was frustrating to see no doubt. Maybe Pettersson does not elevate everyone he plays with but there has to be some common sense in that regard as well when seeing who he lines up with.

I get the coach wants the centre depth but we need to make adjustments to the top nine:

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Lindholm - Pettersson

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Lindholm and Pettersson elevates that line immensely and Blueger up to his old line with Joshua and Garland elevates him and utilizes his defensive reliability and puck distribution making three solid lines.

Aman has stepped in and played well. Karlsson has come in and provided speed, physicality and battle infront of the net, would be great to see him get some shots off. Podkolzin should be due to step back in. I would sit Mikheyev and likely Lafferty.

All this being said, the Oilers are very beatable and the Canucks are right there, may have to go seven games but the Canucks will win out against Edmonton. Exciting times.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

It's striking how different Miller and Petey react to game 4. Miller is emotional and expresses frustration at his play, while Petey is emotionally shut down and looks like he'd rather be somewhere else. Fans and teammates aren't going to be inspired by his unemotional and muted responses. Disappointing to see him choosing to respond this way.

Too true. The idea that some thought Pettersson would make a good captain makes me shudder. 

2 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Who ever is teaching the PP, Give them another job to do...even if it is the Sedins. Forget a goal. Barely any shots on a 4min PP! Would have been the difference maker right there.

The powerplay is crap. Has been for some time now. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Frankly we don't know what is up, we have no idea and you'd think if the guy just signed a long term deal to be a Canuck and is in the middle of the Playoffs I really don't think it is a choice that he is responding this way or his body language or interactions look less than heavily invested in what is at stake.

He is clearly not a forward that will drive the play, thats ok.

He is clearly not a forward that gaurantee will make those around him better or elevate their games, again thats ok.

This needs to be acknowledged and understood, he needs to play in a duo situation like he had with Kuzmenko last year. His best bet for most of the season has been Mikheyev and to be honest that is a damn shame and not even fair.  

I doubt it happens now but he needs to be wing on Lindholm's line and bring back in Hoglander or even Podkolzin as the third on the line. He can finish, he can make sick plays but he needs that player who can sneak him the puck ( Lindholm ) and the other linemate to get those pucks out of the dirty areas ( Hoglander, Podklozin ? was supposed to Mikheyev but.... ).

All that other stuff the reaction or facing the media he is a Swede and has always had that nature about him, its not indifference about the whole situation.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Guess he finally saw Mark Stone's doctor.

Fortunately for us, Goal-tending is the last of our worries. Hope he's 100& before he plays, Not 80-90%.

Edited by Canuck You

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

He looks like he’d rather be golfing. Maybe playoff hockey just isn’t for him. Clearly looks like it out on the ice. 

It’s shocking. It’s something I’ve referenced before but when I saw an 165lb Petterson dominate the SHL playoffs and lead his team to a championship with him being the playoff MVP I never would have foreseen such a lackluster Stanley Cup playoff performance such as we are witnessing.

I’ve watch sports for a long, long time and what I’m watching with Petey right now is how someone performs when struggling with a sports hernia. That injury just robs you of your “quick twitch”. If he is 100% healthy then it’s a big YIKES from me. Pulling for the kid, both because I like him and we NEED him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Too true. The idea that some thought Pettersson would make a good captain makes me shudder. 

I understand that players from Sweden express their emotions differently than Canadian / US players, but Petey needs to know that he is the 3rd points producer on the team.  Miller, Hughes, Petey, and Boeser are the engine that drives the Canucks and they need to understand that fans and teammates view them that way. Where's the fire to win in a 2nd round series where you're tied 2-2 - I don't see any fire. "I need to play better" said in a dull muted voice isn't inspiring or even believable.

• Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What's the scenarios that could happen?

1.  He doesn't do anything really... just another warm body.  Doesn't do anything good.  Doesn't do anything bad.

2.  He goofs and gives up a play that costs a goal against.  Not like that hasn't happened before.

3.  He comes in and pulls a Wyatt Johnston for a couple games.

I like the possibility of #3.  #1 feels like a Lafferty.  Replacing Lafferty with Lekkerimaki would be fine with me.

theres also no scouting report on him, thats a huge plus

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I think the grinding, defensive team theory left along time ago. I see the Canucks as a offensive team that wants to out score their opponent.

Pettersson is just going through something that he has to figure out.  Note; One Sedin was ok. The magic was two.

I know they have an offensive game, but they're not getting the shots on goal in this series.

When they play a team that has a generational player, as well as, a super elite franchise player;

they have to gear up the defensive grinding game.

Both the Sedins were awful in the playoffs until they were 26

4 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

If Demko could score on the PP I’d be more excited for that Tweet, lol. Goaltending is the least of our current issues.

I agree with those that say we should just put Demko out of mind for the duration of this series at least. Let’s revisit when/if we get past the Oil.

2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

It’s shocking. It’s something I’ve referenced before but when I saw an 165lb Petterson dominate the SHL playoffs and lead his team to a championship with him being the playoff MVP I never would have foreseen such a lackluster Stanley Cup playoff performance such as we are witnessing.

I’ve watch sports for a long, long time and what I’m watching with Petey right now is how someone performs when struggling with a sports hernia. That injury just robs you of your “quick twitch”. If he is 100% healthy then it’s a big YIKES from me. Pulling for the kid, both because I like him and we NEED him.

Honestly this was my initial thought. Just can't seem to get that extra gear when he needs it.

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

Agreed. I don’t think the organization would let him play injured if they’ve kept Demko out to recover. To me, it’s a mental thing. He can’t seem to handle the pressure. Lalji spoke to Tocchet having to coach Pettersson differently than other players, that he was more sensitive to criticism. 

3 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Frankly we don't know what is up, we have no idea and you'd think if the guy just signed a long term deal to be a Canuck and is in the middle of the Playoffs I really don't think it is a choice that he is responding this way or his body language or interactions look less than heavily invested in what is at stake.

He is clearly not a forward that will drive the play, thats ok.

He is clearly not a forward that gaurantee will make those around him better or elevate their games, again thats ok.

This needs to be acknowledged and understood, he needs to play in a duo situation like he had with Kuzmenko last year. His best bet for most of the season has been Mikheyev and to be honest that is a damn shame and not even fair.  

I doubt it happens now but he needs to be wing on Lindholm's line and bring back in Hoglander or even Podkolzin as the third on the line. He can finish, he can make sick plays but he needs that player who can sneak him the puck ( Lindholm ) and the other linemate to get those pucks out of the dirty areas ( Hoglander, Podklozin ? was supposed to Mikheyev but.... ).

All that other stuff the reaction or facing the media he is a Swede and has always had that nature about him, its not indifference about the whole situation.

I understand he's a Swede and I commented on that in another comment. That being said, he's 3rd in points on the team, so he needs to Tocchet he'd rather not do media or show form of leadership when he's interviewed. This isn't a regular season game loss - it's a 2nd round playoff series and he has 4 pts in 10 games. Miller has 11, Boeser has 12, and Hughes has 9. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. I don’t think the organization would let him play injured if they’ve kept Demko out to recover. To me, it’s a mental thing. He can’t seem to handle the pressure. Lalji spoke to Tocchet having to coach Pettersson differently than other players, that he was more sensitive to criticism. 

Petey was sick towards the end of the last series. He's streaky and just doesn't feel it now. He just has to play through it. Badgering him will make it worse. 

• Haha 1