[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

Mmm, can't say I'm keen on the idea of throwing Lekkerimaki into the fire, I think we have the horses to win out there already. 

Yes, our offense has been wanting but for the most part I don't think our forwards have hurt us a ton defensively, I question whether Lekkerimaki would be capable of playing the Oil defensively. NHL playoffs is a big step up from both the SHL and the AHL. 

I've never heard Pettey sound great unless he's coming off a big performance. Probably has a bad cold and I'm still convinced he is injured, they won't release details of course, but he's playing it out. He's the 4th best center on our team in the playoffs over a whole game but he's not a defensive liability.

Our structure is there, compete level wasn't. I think a few tweaks and soucy back and we'll take them. I do hope hogs comes back with a vengeance, as i said 4th line him, he was great there earlier.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, YourHuckleberry said:

What things do you think Tocchet isn’t letting Petey do?

He's not giving him linemates he can succeed with and, while petey us great defensively, the pushing of the defensive, grind it out defense narrative drags down the offense.  

On the pp, every team line two guys up on Petey's side and as soon as there is a hint if the puck going to hum, both guys jump out to take the 1 timer away.  Petey has, essentially become the decoy on the pp.  RT has made no move to change the pp in any way and it is grossly predictable and stationary.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Petey was sick towards the end of the last series. He's streaky and just doesn't feel it now. He just has to play through it. Badgering him will make it worse. 

Myers was sick too. Is he streaky? Seems like a convenient excuse. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Not the finished version but, Yikes

This is a step in the right direction. Tocchet can't keep answering for him.

He needs to confront this head on. Something has to change. Embrace the accountability to overcome the adversity.

Running and hiding from it won't solve anything. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Holy fk, look at his body language, were more fked than i thought 

He's so down because he can't feel it right now. He's beating himself up over it. Put the lotto line together and let him play through it. He's a bit of a head case.

To all the people saying that Pettersson is playing injured, why would the organization allow a player slated to make $11.6M a year to play in a physical series but sit a $5M player for a whole series? 

It doesn’t add up. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Mmm, can't say I'm keen on the idea of throwing Lekkerimaki into the fire, I think we have the horses to win out there already. 

Yes, our offense has been wanting but for the most part I don't think our forwards have hurt us a ton defensively, I question whether Lekkerimaki would be capable of playing the Oil defensively. NHL playoffs is a big step up from both the SHL and the AHL. 

I would think  Lek is significantly down the depth list to get in the lineup.  He didn't do anything in the AHL, why would they toss him into the middle of a NHL playoff series?

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's also only 19 and hasn't played in the NHL let alone the NHL playoffs. I think Tocchet is trying to motivate players to stay in the lineup, but Lekkerimaki isn't really a chip to do that. Can we expect him to play better than any of the Canucks already playing?

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I would think  Lek is significantly down the depth list to get in the lineup.  He didn't do anything in the AHL, why would they toss him into the middle of a NHL playoff series?

Lekkerimaki is a great prospect but I don't think he's going to be some sort of offensive savior for this team, if anything I think it's more likely he could get burnt defensively. He simply hasn't played hockey at this level yet. 

I think the better move is to stick with the guys who've been playing and possibly shuffle up the lines a bit. They have the horses to score more than they have been, but with every game this series having been a one goal game I'm more inclined to stick with the players we already know to be defensively responsible.

Just now, AnotherCanucksFan said:

He's also only 19 and hasn't played in the NHL let alone the NHL playoffs. I think Tocchet is trying to motivate players to stay in the lineup, but Lekkerimaki isn't really a chip to do that. Can we expect him to play better than any of the Canucks already playing?

Defensively, I don't reckon so. Offensively? Hard to say, but the idea of turning to a guy who's never played an NHL game for offense isn't exactly comforting. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

He's so down because he can't feel it right now. He's beating himself up over it. Put the lotto line together and let him play through it. He's a bit of a head case.

No need to ruin that line too, he hasn't looked any better than suter there

Just now, Coconuts said:

Lekkerimaki is a great prospect but I don't think he's going to be some sort of offensive savior for this team, if anything I think it's more likely he could get burnt defensively. He simply hasn't played hockey at this level yet. 

I think the better move is to stick with the guys who've been playing and possibly shuffle up the lines a bit. They have the horses to score more than they have been, but with every game this series having been a one goal game I'm more inclined to stick with the players we already know to be defensively responsible.

Defensively, I don't reckon so. Offensively? Hard to say, but the idea of turning to a guy who's never played an NHL game for offense isn't exactly comforting. 

+ he hasnt had any tocchet systems training

i have a hard time believing tocchet is gonna throw anyone into the lineup that doesnt know his system

that said, we desperately need to put some skill beside petey or theres 0 chance he gets going. i dont know how it would work out, but i think putting petey on lindholms wing is our best shot. 

I wonder if Tocchet made the "I'm thinking about putting Lekkerimaki in" comment, as just a way to motivate his players.

Where he feels he has to turn to a 19 year old rookie to get adequate scoring. Wake up veterans, this is your time! 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It was intense playoff hockey. The way it should be.

Oilers were ridiculously desperate in their building. We didn't give up and kept fighting.

We almost got them. It didn't go our way. On to the next.

Simple. No essay required.

As T-Swift would say, "Shake it off!". Like omg, SO relatable!!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, HarbularyBattery said:

+ he hasnt had any tocchet systems training

i have a hard time believing tocchet is gonna throw anyone into the lineup that doesnt know his system

that said, we desperately need to put some skill beside petey or theres 0 chance he gets going. i dont know how it would work out, but i think putting petey on lindholms wing is our best shot. 

I know folks don't want to break up the Lindholm line but it's the move that makes the most sense. Let Garland and Joshua play off each other, give Pettersson Lindholm. Suddenly we might have three lines that are a threat instead of two.

Every game this series has been a one goal game, give Pettersson more talent to work with and that could very well be the difference. 

• Like 3

Just Stop Season 11 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Stop making excuses for Petey..

His wrist, His line mates, He was sick, The coaching, The best one - He looks depressed, 

This is a one the highest paid players in the league.  Play like one.

Enough with the excuses.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)

Watching Tocchet's Wednesday video. It seems like Tocchet wants to motivate players by suggesting players would come out / new players come in, but he also knows it's mostly an empty threat because we don't really have options beyond who is playing already. 

I think that we may be facing an issue with Tocchet's style as a player and a coach not fitting with players like Kuzmenko, Pettersson, or Ilya Mikheyev who are more stick handling / passing players. He's commonly praised Miller and Garland who are American players with a tougher / assertive style of play. 

Is he struggling to connect or even understand how to fit Petey or Mik into the style of play that he wants the Canucks to play.

Edited by AnotherCanucksFan
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Pettersson needs to see a counsellor STAT if he hasn’t done so already

His mind is fucked. Has zero confidence handling the puck. He needs to know he’s good enough and get that 11 million dollar price tag off his shoulder

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Regarding breaking up the Lindholm line, it's also more important to get Pettersson going than it is to keep that line together. Garland's driven the third line all year, let him do it. But bottom line is that if the Canucks can't find a way to get Pettersson going they're going to be in tough even if they get past the Oil.

They'd be hard pressed to beat Dallas (the likely series winner) without him producing, let alone a team like New York or Florida (I'd be surprised if it's Boston or Carolina who makes the final at this point). They've done well to get this far as he's struggled, but they really need to spark him somehow if they really have cup aspirations. 

15 hours ago, stawns said:

Do you know how far down the depth list Lek is?

Tocchet said today he would be open to using Lek. We don't have many shooters that we can put alongside EP. Plus could help power play.