[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Game 4-Round 2

54 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

id like to hear it tbh

ive been wondering for a while if hes kinda isolated and lonely on the team. it seems pretty clear that jt/brock/huggy are friends off the ice. petey has such a different temperament to them, im wondering if hes the odd man out. 

Yeah I remember Petey and Brock used to be super close but doesn’t seem that way at all anymore. When Petey gave the puck away up the middle that resulted in a goal last series Brock was visibly pissed and shaking his head when Pettersson skated by him to grab a new stick.

Was also that video of the team winning a game and everyone celebrating and Petey was last to go on the ice and only fist bumped the trainers. Deff seems like it. I only ever see him interacting with Hoglander now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NucksNation said:

Yeah I remember Petey and Brock used to be super close but doesn’t seem that way at all anymore. When Petey gave the puck away up the middle that resulted in a goal last series Brock was visibly pissed and shaking his head when Pettersson skated by him to grab a new stick.

Was also that video of the team winning a game and everyone celebrating and Petey was last to go on the ice and only fist bumped the trainers. Deff seems like it. I only ever see him interacting with Hoglander now. 

dude if true thats super fking sad and i totally understand the impact on performance

i have never done well when i feel lonely, isolated, unappreciated. pretty sure thats the same for others.

i hope im wrong. also because as a human being everyone deserves a sense of community and camraderie. 

6 hours ago, Blue said:

Hronek is eating minutes and not making Cole level errors. And has Lidstromed Mcdavid a couple times. But yes I know, Hronek isn't the flavor of the week around here. He's not doing anything sexy so let's trash him.

Not trashing him at all and I’m on board fully with re-signing him. He needs to be better offensively though it can’t just be Hughes and Zadorov. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Watching the interview, I can clearly see Pettersson is under the weather with some kind of bug.

Have to wonder if its more than just a flu... maybe some other virus.

Looks exhausted and really low on energy.

You realize this is the form he's been in for a while now, right?

It's weird how some people are treating this poor form as something that just arose out of nowhere once the playoffs started. Since March, he has something like 18 pts in 32 games, including just 6 goals.

Either people just assumed he'd flip the switch once playoffs started, or they're only starting to take more notice now because of the higher stakes, and because the usual fallback of "he's still above point per game this season!!" is no longer relevant (not that it was ever relevant in the first place).

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I already said what I think Tocchet should do.  Thats his job.  I don't think he's holding Petey back on purpose, I just think he's not coaching Petey the way he needs to be coached.

Have you ever heard the term "differentiated learning"?  If I have a classroom of 30 kids, you can bet there going to be 10-11 different learning styles that need to be considered.  If the teacher only teaches one way and expects all the kids to respond positively to his or her ond style, then they are going to have a lot of kids who aren't progressing or, more likely, regressing.

Every student has a different style and a different way of learning and developing.  A teacher needs to understand every students needs and treat each one of them as individuals, so as to get the very best from each student 

The job of a head coach is exactly the same.  RT's job is to understand what kind of playing and learning style each one if his players has and make sure they put each player into best scenario he can, to get the absolute best out of them.  Right now, Tocchet is great with the players who naturally play the style he likes players to play........but that's the easy part. 

The true measure of a coach, or teacher, is his ability to get the best from the ones who don't.  Imo that's where RT has a lot to learn about being a head coach.

It's up to RT to figure out how to get the best out of Petey........he couldn't, or wouldn't, with Kuz.  After signing this new deal, he's not going to going to have luxury of just shipping him out.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

You go along for the ride and that's all you need, good for you.  I like looking deeper and who gives two shits if you don't like it?  I know I dont

Keep on scrolling

I appreciate the attempt at a response and understand the concept that everybody is different but, again, you didn’t really respond to anything I said, including the specific queries I had. I think we can call it a day and try again another day - if you truly “like looking deeper” maybe we can get to something more substantive in the future. Cheers

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, YourHuckleberry said:

I appreciate the attempt at a response and understand the concept that everybody is different but, again, you didn’t really respond to anything I said, including the specific queries I had. I think we can call it a day and try again another day - if you truly “like looking deeper” maybe we can get to something more substantive in the future. Cheers

Unless I gave them in a different post to a different poster, yes, I did.  I expressed three ways I thought Tocchet could adjust to help Peteys game improve

2 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

id like to hear it tbh

ive been wondering for a while if hes kinda isolated and lonely on the team. it seems pretty clear that jt/brock/huggy are friends off the ice. petey has such a different temperament to them, im wondering if hes the odd man out. 

I don’t think it has anything to do with that. I’ve talked to some people over the last few weeks. Let’s just say my circle of friends went to university with the owners of the team. I’ll leave it at that. It could all be bullshit. So I’m not gonna spread any rumours. 

Petey is my boy. I just hope he gets back to where he was last year. We need the old Petey back to win the cup. 

I've been pretty unimpressed with EP lately and I really didn't like that press conference yesterday.  But it had me wondering if he just needs a shot of energy and support from the crowd?  When the crowd cheers out "J....T.....Milllerrrrrr!!!!", it's pretty uplifting to JT.  What would it take to get Crazy P or whatever his name is to start a chant for EP?  Or one of you attending?  It would be an amazing turnaround for the crowd to support EP and hopefully see him turn things around quickly.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I've been pretty unimpressed with EP lately and I really didn't like that press conference yesterday.  But it had me wondering if he just needs a shot of energy and support from the crowd?  When the crowd cheers out "J....T.....Milllerrrrrr!!!!", it's pretty uplifting to JT.  What would it take to get Crazy P or whatever his name is to start a chant for EP?  Or one of you attending?  It would be an amazing turnaround for the crowd to support EP and hopefully see him turn things around quickly.

At this level of performance and pay, no one should need a participation ribbon. The crowd will support him when he starts deserving support. All athletes need to tune out the noise and just focus on what they need to do to be better and more involved. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

dude if true thats super fking sad and i totally understand the impact on performance

i have never done well when i feel lonely, isolated, unappreciated. pretty sure thats the same for others.

i hope im wrong. also because as a human being everyone deserves a sense of community and camraderie. 

Keeping Miller & Brock together & removing EP from the Lotyo-line created a rift. They continued to have extra-ordinary success & EP’s lines, not being as gritty, dynamic or talented, have not.

Mikheyev can’t be given any more prime opportunities & yet NOT score! It’s a puzzlement!  Why does he have  such an atrocious shooting  percentage, with all the prime gifts that he’s been awarded this season, in goal mouth passes & break away launches, etc??

EP is being  under-utilized & facilitated by Tocchet, other than for his defensive place in the Canucks structure & getting a fortuitous broken play or mixed line up change that results in something more, now & then That needs fixing, to say the least! Playing with Brock was like having a bonefide wingman! Petey’s missin’ all of the good synergy he used to enjoy with that! 

Miller made Brock so much more this season, with his intensity & high expectations. Perhaps Miller can mentor someone else next season & RT will let Brock mentor Petey, in return. 

But, next season isn’t NOW!

This Cup-run is ON & this SCup pursuit is everything! I wish there were a very quick & easy fix &/or fit for Petey’s line to light-up that fire of his ultra-confident & aggressive competitiveness of his, once again. 

Canucks Nation: please unite our mental energies to make this so! And - go!!

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, stawns said:

You go along for the ride and that's all you need, good for you.  I like looking deeper and who gives two shits if you don't like it?  I know I dont

Keep on scrolling

that's fair and i can respect that. apologies for the way i came off

For purpose of discussion i just feel it's too early in the process to assume that Tocchet's style will not work for the team and/or Petterson. Changing the culture does not take 1 season, and the results Tocchet and the coaching staff have yielded so far can't be discounted in my opinion.

19 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I'm not saying Cole has been the best guy out there obviously, but if you don't think he's added physicality on the D throughout the year, you're the one not watching.  Blaming a high sticking penalty because Cole should have had the puck out earlier is just reaching man.....but sure, I have thought he could have been better at clearing the puck. 

I have been watching and my point stands - as much as he could be better, he's had some awful luck and I think you may be forgetting how bad our D has been over the past decade. 

Have you read these boards. I am sure if we had a vote to scratch Cole. It would be a landslide.

Miller took that penalty out of frustration...because that oaf couldn't do his job that he gets paid millions to do. Kid in Peewee do that with out effort.

Miller texted Tocc and apologized for taking that dumb penalty...He knew he should not have taken it. But he was frustrated with the HORRIBLE play and the HORRIBLE PLAYER that Cole is. 

He won't be year next season. And that's FACTS.

33 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Have you read these boards. I am sure if we had a vote to scratch Cole. It would be a landslide.

Miller took that penalty out of frustration...because that oaf couldn't do his job that he gets paid millions to do. Kid in Peewee do that with out effort.

Miller texted Tocc and apologized for taking that dumb penalty...He knew he should not have taken it. But he was frustrated with the HORRIBLE play and the HORRIBLE PLAYER that Cole is. 

He won't be year next season. And that's FACTS.

Settle down there Silver.  I think you're overthinking my comments here.  Cole hasn't been great, but he's been unlucky.  Cole certainly won't be back next year at $3M. 

But do you put Juulsen in?  Did he not make 2 bonehead plays that cost us (leaving coverage to make a hit leading to a goal)?  Who else do you put in?  The voters you talk about should think about the devil you know vs the devil you don't know.  Cole vs Juulsen isn't an easy choice right now.  It is next year (cost-wise).

3 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

At this level of performance and pay, no one should need a participation ribbon. The crowd will support him when he starts deserving support. All athletes need to tune out the noise and just focus on what they need to do to be better and more involved. 

That's not working out so well right now....

3 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Settle down there Silver.  I think you're overthinking my comments here.  Cole hasn't been great, but he's been unlucky.  Cole certainly won't be back next year at $3M. 

But do you put Juulsen in?  Did he not make 2 bonehead plays that cost us (leaving coverage to make a hit leading to a goal)?  Who else do you put in?  The voters you talk about should think about the devil you know vs the devil you don't know.  Cole vs Juulsen isn't an easy choice right now.  It is next year (cost-wise).

COLE proving me right once again

3 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

COLE proving me right once again

Way to go buddy.....now read my message again.  Shall we be upset at the other two guys who took a penalty too?  

Pour yourself a cold one and enjoy the game man.