[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Steaming Coilers, May 16, 7PM PDT (10EDT), Rogers Arena - the STOP PLAYING SO TIMID AND SMASH THEIR NARDS GAME!

It was the Best of Times! It was the Worst of Times!  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Coiler you would most like stuffed in a porta-potty and set on fire after the game tomorrow?

• McJesus - well he would be on everyone's top 10 so getting it out of the way!
    • Evander "I-will-bet-on-2-dogs-fucking" Kane
    • Corey "yes, I do enjoy being spanked with a tennis racket while wearing fishnet stockings and 6" heels" Perry
    • Zack "I will fight Zeke any time - NOT!" Hyman
    • None of the worthy contestants above, see my vote below
  2. 2. When will a Canadian Team finally win a Cup?

• This Year Baby - Our Beloved Canucks will go all the way!
    • When the Angel of Death visits Gary Bettman while conducting his morning constitution!
    • When Kelly Sutherland and the rest of the Donkeys are banned from reffing!
    • When the Quebec Nordiques are Resurrected!
    • None of the above, see my answer below!

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

Interested to see where all the Mikheyev defenders are. No goals in 60 games or something? What good is all that speed without any finish. Management should have found a way to move him before the deadline (would have required sweeteners for sure). How good would a 5M winger look right now on Peteys wing. Toffoli didn’t cost Winnipeg much to acquire…

I like his speed and his basic defense but sitting for a game has to be an option. Petey has set him up a number of times and he cannot score. I would put Hogs back in and keep Karlsson on the line. Joshua-Lindholm-Corolla play 2nd line TOI. 

Some fans have been calling for Juulsen as a winger which I didn't like but now warming up to the idea. Maybe his foot speed is slower but he is a smart player who plays a defensive game with physicality. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, I believe his body type is ectomorph (correct me if I'm wrong) and he might have trouble putting on weight/muscle. He can strengthen his core for sure and firm up his muscles but not sure if he'll get a whole lot bigger. When he's in pursuit of a puck he hunches over at the waist alot...maybe a different "stance" could give him better stability? Who knows?

Put Petey on a reconstituted 3rd line. Perhaps Hogs-Petey-Karlsson. Cut his TOI back except for the PP. We have to think that the Sedins are talking to him. Reduce the expectation somewhat and maybe he can rebuild from there. 

• ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

There's no way we will see 5 changes to the forward group in lines and roster moves.

2-3 Max.

Coach pretty much said he wont be splitting our top two lines up.

I am with you though I want to see Lindholm and Petey reunited and Hoglander put on the fourth line:

ButI have a feeling we could see this:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Lindholm-Garland

PDG-Petey-Lekkerimaki

Hoglander-Blueger-Mikehyev

He cant really mess with our two match up lines vs Mcdavid and Leon.

PDG is good on the forecheck and on the wall. Since Mik has been to soft on the forecheck his speed has been useless so maybe fourth Line deployment for Mik with Hoglander Blueger can really simplify things for him. Hoglander can play 10 Minutes of wrecking ball hockey maybe get a forechecking goal on Pickard, someone hes scored on before.

PDG-Petey-Lekkeriamki Deployment can be sheltered to offensive zone softer starts and MCleod matchups as we have the home line change adv

Petey can also be doubled situationally with other lines if we were to load up at times.

It sounds crazy because I dont know if JL has th strength, pace, details to play NHL hockey let alone play off hockey. But a few things are certain..

The team is high on him, he did get a NA taste, he does have a higher skill profile then another option available and he does have an NHL shot.

He could provide an offensive boost for Petey playing on adrenaline.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT BED TIME

It is indeed food for thought, but most likely all for naught.

Another thing about Letterkenny is that he sees the ice very well and has that future-sight the great players have.

He is very smart and this leads to him anticipating opposition moves resulting in overall very good defensive play.

Not to mention, he has a lightning-quick trigger-release and the puck is often behind the tenders before they see it.

Very tempting option and, we have last change so we may be able to shelter him from the Oily Goons.

5 hours ago, Mac said:

bains has sucked when he has played with Vancouver

That's a little harsh.

The guy has worked his way up to a pro gig, and is adapting to that.

"He's not ready" would have sufficed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

The more I watch the Oilers the more I think it is Draisaitl that carries that team, not McDavid. 
‘Not that McDavid isn’t really good. 

I’ve seen dry back checking but not McDavid. He saves his energy for offence

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

Interested to see where all the Mikheyev defenders are. No goals in 60 games or something? What good is all that speed without any finish. Management should have found a way to move him before the deadline (would have required sweeteners for sure). How good would a 5M winger look right now on Peteys wing. Toffoli didn’t cost Winnipeg much to acquire…

Defense and gaining the zone I guess. I wish he'd forecheck harder with that speed. As frustrating as he is, he doesn't cost us. Not sure who a better, or equally reliable, replacement is. I'd rather Mikheyev in than PDG.

26 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, I believe his body type is ectomorph (correct me if I'm wrong) and he might have trouble putting on weight/muscle. He can strengthen his core for sure and firm up his muscles but not sure if he'll get a whole lot bigger. When he's in pursuit of a puck he hunches over at the waist alot...maybe a different "stance" could give him better stability? Who knows?

He's got a high center of gravity which is not the best for hockey; core strength and leg work can only do so much to overcome that.

Take a look at Quinn's thighs; powerhouse legs on a low center of gravity is best for hockey.

(And, just cuz I always thought this Kim Tiny Dick-Tater Sook Sum Yung Guy quote was hilarious,

"North Korea is Best Korea".)

95nT.gif

So I originally advocated for reuniting bluegs with garz and Josh and putting petey with lindy..

But after hearing tocchet, and i agree that not many drastic changes should be made, especially to our matchup/top lines that are producing.

Sooo...

I'd like to see

Suter Miller Boeser

Joshua Lindholm Garland

Hoglander Pettersson Lekkerimaki

Aman Blueger Karlsson

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Zadorov Juulsen

Silovs

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The disrespect continues. Bookies are saying the most likely outcome is Edmonton winning 2 in a row to close out the series in 6 games.

image.png.132ea3627e8682ca355bcaccbcb64bdc.png

Nah, we are winning this one, and could so easily win the next one in their barn.  Tough match up for sure, but our boys have literally proven they are equal to Edmonton in every way. 

Okay. New Day, New Chance. It’s a 3 game series. We’re not ahead or behind. Let’s boot some of the passengers out and get more Drivers. Hopefully we finally see Podkolzin draw in. Karlsson wasn’t bad… but he definitely wasn’t strong enough to play playoff hockey. He would try to hit people and was unnoticed. 

Looking forward to the pre game this morning to see who’s in. 

Posted (edited)

Has Evan Bouchard outplayed Hughs ? Hughs has had flashes but he's more like the 2021 Hughs right now. He is being targeted and is maybe banged up. But he's gotta get going. 

The whole natl media is saying that Bouchard has out played Hughs 

Edited by Blue
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The disrespect continues. Bookies are saying the most likely outcome is Edmonton winning 2 in a row to close out the series in 6 games.

image.png.132ea3627e8682ca355bcaccbcb64bdc.png

They don't realize that Vancouver hasn't yet played a very compete game all series. 

But this is good for us.

Edited by Blue
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Has Evan Bouchard outplayed Hughs ? Hughs has had flashes but he's more like the 2021 Hughs right now. He is being targeted and is maybe banged up. But he's gotta get going. 

I agree, Hughes looks a step below guys like Makar and Bouchard. Quinn is being targeted, but I find he hangs onto the puck too long, tries to do it all himself with skating out of trouble. He's got to get that pass off quicker, try to take less hits. 

19 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Radio guys petition fans to get a "Let's Go Petey!" chant started at the game tonight. 

Stupid idea on their part. Last thing Pettersson needs to hear. Just ask Silovs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Rekker said:

He's a competitor and hates, hates losing. I could definitely see this happening. He also has the Sedins in his corner who went through similar struggles.

Sedins had the advantage in that they were already two thirds of a line (the guy riding shotgun just had to take care of the defensive stuff).  Granted, the Sedins didn't each have a 10+ million cap hit.  Bottom line, next season, a guy making that kind of coin shouldn't have any excuses (regardless on who his wingers are).  Elite players should make those players better.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

They don't realize that Vancouver hasn't yet played a very compete game all series. 

But this is good for us.

What makes you think that will change?  

Haven’t seen the Canucks play up to their full potential in about 2 months now. And if they don’t wake up soon, they’ll be gone. If Edmonton doesn’t beat us, this is probably it for them… and they realize it… so don’t expect them to roll over and die either. We NEED our real team to show up these next 3!

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sedins had the advantage in that they were already two thirds of a line (the guy riding shotgun just had to take care of the defensive stuff).  Granted, the Sedins didn't each have a 10+ million cap hit.  Bottom line, next season, a guy making that kind of coin shouldn't have any excuses (regardless on who his wingers are).  Elite players should make those players better.

What if he has something like long Covid?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I agree, Hughes looks a step below guys like Makar and Bouchard. Quinn is being targeted, but I find he hangs onto the puck too long, tries to do it all himself with skating out of trouble. He's got to get that pass off quicker, try to take less hits. 

Do you want Hughes to change his style?  Did he look good in the regular season and in the Nashville series?  Last question; Was he invited to the Allstars?