Offseason Planning - regardless of outcome

So I would like to see what people's thoughts are on this. It might be early, but I'm considering the salary cap and other factors, which I am not fully versed with for both items.

Previously, I was fine with letting Lindholm go because he SUCKED in the season (likely due to injury and other factors), but is currently a beast in the playoffs. Now I see the value that everyone else was saying about this. I think we SHOULD keep Lindholm.

Joshua - keep

Hronek - not sure. If we trade for someone with a better cap hit, we could shed some salary space. I don't REALLY think he's worth 8M or whatever he's asking for. Worst case is that we get a 1st rounder pick back.

Mikheyev - was a fan, but at 5M and zero production, it really feels like he was a Loui Eriksson-esque signing, destined for a buyout.

Lafferty - a ghost. Release.

Blueger - keep

Myers - keep for ~3-4  million on a short term contract.

Ian Cole - release.

Big Z - re-sign!!!

I think based on the above moves, we should have enough money to retain most of the roster while upgrading some weaker spots. I think Woo should come in to replace a player like Cole, for example.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

So I would like to see what people's thoughts are on this. It might be early, but I'm considering the salary cap and other factors, which I am not fully versed with for both items.

Previously, I was fine with letting Lindholm go because he SUCKED in the season (likely due to injury and other factors), but is currently a beast in the playoffs. Now I see the value that everyone else was saying about this. I think we SHOULD keep Lindholm.

Joshua - keep

Hronek - not sure. If we trade for someone with a better cap hit, we could shed some salary space. I don't REALLY think he's worth 8M or whatever he's asking for. Worst case is that we get a 1st rounder pick back.

Mikheyev - was a fan, but at 5M and zero production, it really feels like he was a Loui Eriksson-esque signing, destined for a buyout.

Lafferty - a ghost. Release.

Blueger - keep

Myers - keep for ~3-4  million on a short term contract.

Ian Cole - release.

Big Z - re-sign!!!

I think based on the above moves, we should have enough money to retain most of the roster while upgrading some weaker spots. I think Woo should come in to replace a player like Cole, for example.

joshua- let go. cant afford him, and Garland is the key on that line. 

lindholm- keep. 7m a year i hope. 

hronek- 6.5m or trade. not more than that. 

mikheyev- buyout. thankfully not a bad contract to buyout.

lafferty- release

blueger- release (Aman can do his job)

myers- 3m

ian cole- release

Z - re-sign

desmith- release

bains needs a roster spot, he'll take laffertys. 

Raty has a good chance of making the team too based on his season in the AHL

juulsen takes cole's spot

all that said, that alone probably uses up any cap that we have, without really any room to make further improvements. so we'll see what kind of roster magic jr/pa can work. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

joshua- let go. cant afford him, and Garland is the key on that line. 

lindholm- keep. 7m a year i hope. 

hronek- 6.5m or trade. not more than that. 

mikheyev- buyout. thankfully not a bad contract to buyout.

lafferty- release

blueger- release (Aman can do his job)

myers- 3m

ian cole- release

Z - re-sign

desmith- release

bains needs a roster spot, he'll take laffertys. 

Raty has a good chance of making the team too based on his season in the AHL

juulsen takes cole's spot

all that said, that alone probably uses up any cap that we have, without really any room to make further improvements. so we'll see what kind of roster magic jr/pa can work. 

Interesting. We generally have the same ideas on this then, with some differences. Aman doesn't give much offense. Blueger at least chips in.

I agree with Bains. Not sure about Raty doing good or not, but hopefully he can surprise. Juulsen, yeah.

Regardless of what happens, Silovs is more than ready to be a backup haha. We'll save a lot of money just by having these players/prospects step up.

Posted (edited)

It’s going to be really tough to decide. Projected cap space according to capfriendly is 24.8 million. (Don’t know how poolman’s ltir factors into that). We need 4 forwards and 4 defencemen, at an average of 3 million each. I’ve never tried this before, let me know if you think any projected values are way off. 

Lindholm = 7 million

Bluegar = 2 million

lafferty = 1 million

sign a random forward = 2.5 million

Zadorov = 4.5 million

Meyers = 4 million

Random D signing = 2.5 million 

Random D signing = 1 million 

Hronek = trade. UNLESS you manage to get rid of Mikeheyev somehow.

If Zadorov or Meyers want to go to free agency and leave for more money, that could also be an avenue to keep Hronek.

This is also not counting on any help from Abby.

For me, keeping Lindholm is huge.

EDIT: Silovs replaces Desmith (as much as I love him)

Edited by Pianoman
  • Cheers 3

Joshua and Zads would be my priority. 
‘Getting out of Mik’s deal would be great boon but likely expensive. 

If it takes more than 7 for Hronek I trade him to fill gaps. 
‘We need a centre and Lindholm is the best available. I prioritize him over Hronek. 
‘I would actually entertain offers on EP but you would need to blow me out of the water. (I am not an EP hater I think he is amazing but don’t like the lack of progress in his power game). 
Myers and Cole, was nice knowing you, good luck on your future endeavours. 

5 hours ago, J-23 said:

I am probably off on all of the contracts but something like this would be a nice scenario for the team in my opinion, but too many variables have to go right and I have no idea how we are going to trade the Mikheyev contract. Jani, is just a fill in, could be anyone else in that 3rd right handed defencemen spot: Cole, Juulsen, etc. Pesce is the one defencemen I hope the Canucks still have interest in, management was reportedly interested before. Very good defensive defencemen that the Canucks could use and he would really make life easier on the defensive side of things. I have no issue bringing back Hronek either. Lots of options in free agency, Tanev, Roy, Pesce, etc. There is not guarantee any of these guys choose the Canucks, but being on a line with Hughes is a good selling point. Not many teams can offer that. 

test.thumb.PNG.5e68772e5c328afd84d8b32e22f3e264.PNG

Didn't Silverberg retire? 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

We need to re-sign Hronek unless he asks for the moon and won't sign a reasonable deal.  Losing him leaves a massive hole in our top pair that we've been searching for for years.  There is absolutely ZERO guarantees that we can sign a UFA or even trade for a replacement.  ZERO guarantee.  We just hope that we would be able to, and if not, we'll be hunting for a top pair RHD for several years to come... AGAIN.

Joshua is a must keep.

Zadorov is clearly a must keep.

Lindholm is the same as Hronek.  If he is willing to sign a reasonable deal, then absolutely we keep him.

Mikheyev needs to be traded.  At his cap hit, we would need a 50pt season out of him.  He's never come close to that in his career (albeit he has been on pace for it in years past).

Would love to see Blueger back, but not at a higher cap hit.  Same goes with Myers.

Anyways, our priorities would be to re-sign Hronek, Joshua, and Zadorov.  Lindholm would be 4th on the list for me. 

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

24.7 cap space 

tbh with how bad EP is playing 

I would trade him 

11.6 is too much for a non playoff performer look at marner 

Petey + hogz to OTT for Brady and pinto 

= 4.5 in cap savings and pinto is a rfa 

sign for 2.25

cap space is now 27 mill

lindy 7

zads 5

tanev 4.5 

hronek 6.5

silovs 1.5

cap space 2.5

brady Miller Brock 

Joshua Lindy Garland 

Podz Pinto Suter  

Aman Blugger Milky (urregggh) 

Hughes Hronek 

zads Tanev 

Soucy —-

EP D Juulsen 

Edited by canucks curse

I understand all the comments about Hronek, and I’ve been flip flopping for a while. I think for me, I would prioritize Lindholm assuming we could get him at 7 or just over. It’s hard to find a scenario where we sign both of them. But if we can’t get lindholm then go for Hronek.

I think Joshua ultimately walks, I don't think we'll be able to afford him. I'm fine with that though, I'm confident management could find someone else to work with Garland. I'd have zero issues seeing him get a big bag via UFA. 

I think Hronek is retained, moving him means you have to try and replace him and there's no guarantee we'd be able to do so via UFA. 

I expect Mikheyev will be here next season. We've already got the OEL penalty to navigate, I don't see management wanting to buy him out. I don't think moving him would be cheap either, he's making almost 5M and he's shown little in the form of production. His trade value is likely negative right now, I reckon the Canucks just hope he can bounce back after a healthy summer of training. 

I think Lafferty is allowed to walk, he's replaceable. 

I think Lindholm hits UFA and we try to use his cap hit to add on the wing. I understand that folks like having him at center but I just don't see a three headed combo of Miller, Pettersson, and Lindholm being a thing down the middle long-term. Looking at the lineup as is, we're missing a top six winger or two. 

I could see Blueger staying. 

Myers coming back on a short-term deal wouldn't surprise me at all.

I don't think we bring Cole back.

I think Zadorov stays, but it'll be at the cost of another player folks would have preferred to have retained. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, J-23 said:

I am probably off on all of the contracts but something like this would be a nice scenario for the team in my opinion, but too many variables have to go right and I have no idea how we are going to trade the Mikheyev contract. Jani, is just a fill in, could be anyone else in that 3rd right handed defencemen spot: Cole, Juulsen, etc. Pesce is the one defencemen I hope the Canucks still have interest in, management was reportedly interested before. Very good defensive defencemen that the Canucks could use and he would really make life easier on the defensive side of things. I have no issue bringing back Hronek either. Lots of options in free agency, Tanev, Roy, Pesce, etc. There is not guarantee any of these guys choose the Canucks, but being on a line with Hughes is a good selling point. Not many teams can offer that. 

test.thumb.PNG.5e68772e5c328afd84d8b32e22f3e264.PNG

It would be great if the Canucks could pull this off. It is similar to my  "best case" cap friendly worksheet, but more optimistic.

The numbers for Joshua, Lindy, Zad, and Myers are very optimistic, and getting Pesce is a longshot. Even the Silovs number is fairly optimistic.

On 5/16/2024 at 1:02 AM, JamesB said:

My views are similar to @Pianoman, @PureQuickness, and @HarbularyBattery.

I have run various combinations through CapFriendly. The problem is that the Canucks cannot afford to do all the things we would like. Here are some random comments.

1. Apparently the Canucks looked into the possibility of trading Poolman's contract (which is allowed) but that is unlikely to happen. So he just stays on LTIR. That means the Canuck will use LTIR space, which has some disadvantages but is not too bad.

2. @Pianoman did not mention Joshua. The Canucks would love to re-sign him but he is unlikely to be affordable. (He is currently making about the NHL minimum and is in line for a big raise).

3. I like the idea of trading Hronek if he will not accept a team-friendly offer. But his trade value has probably fallen over the second half of the season. And, although his numbers are inflated by playing with Hughes, he is still a good top-4 RHD and those guys are hard to find. In the first half of the season Hughes and Hronek were arguably the best pair in the NHL and maybe even for the regular season as a whole. I think the Canucks will make a push to re-sign him and we might be looking at a cap hit of 7.2 or 7.3

4. Myers wants to come back but would probably regard 4 million as giving a discount and is unlikely to sign for less. He probably wants more. I think he will come back and my prediction is 4 million.

5. We would all love to re-sign Lindy but I think that is unlikely. Even though he had a disappointing regular season, the playoffs have boosted his market value. I think he will ask for 8 million and won't settle for less than 7.5. I don't see how the Canucks can afford him.

6. Buying out Mikheyev is unlikely given that the team already has the costly OEL buyout to contend with. And, while Mik has been disappointing, he has had bad puck luck, is very good defensively, and might be better next year after another summer to continue to get over his knee surgery.

7. I agree that Cole is probably not coming back.

8. Zad's market value has risen a lot in the playoffs. I think he will ask for at least $5 million and might get it in free agency. I don't see how the team can re-sign Zad, Hronek, and Joshua. I think at most two of those guys come back and maybe only one.

I appreciate the run-down of ideas with this with more depth. I had a suspicion that we can't keep everyone, which is a shame, but I was hoping MAYBE if we traded away some of the more expensive items that it would be possible? 😞

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I think Joshua ultimately walks, I don't think we'll be able to afford him. I'm fine with that though, I'm confident management could find someone else to work with Garland. I'd have zero issues seeing him get a big bag via UFA. 

I think Hronek is retained, moving him means you have to try and replace him and there's no guarantee we'd be able to do so via UFA. 

I expect Mikheyev will be here next season. We've already got the OEL penalty to navigate, I don't see management wanting to buy him out. I don't think moving him would be cheap either, he's making almost 5M and he's shown little in the form of production. His trade value is likely negative right now, I reckon the Canucks just hope he can bounce back after a healthy summer of training. 

I think Lafferty is allowed to walk, he's replaceable. 

I think Lindholm hits UFA and we try to use his cap hit to add on the wing. I understand that folks like having him at center but I just don't see a three headed combo of Miller, Pettersson, and Lindholm being a thing down the middle long-term. Looking at the lineup as is, we're missing a top six winger or two. 

I could see Blueger staying. 

Myers coming back on a short-term deal wouldn't surprise me at all.

I don't think we bring Cole back.

I think Zadorov stays, but it'll be at the cost of another player folks would have preferred to have retained. 

Great comments. I pretty much agree completely. I think you are right that the Canucks will probably prioritize Zad over Joshua and will want to keep one of those guys as they want to retain some team toughness. But I still think there is a good chance Zad leaves.

• Cheers 1

Joshua, Zadorov, Lindholm - blank cheque, SIGN GOD DAMNIT

Hronek - my opinion has changed at this point. just sign him to a cheap bridge deal. if he sucks by the end of it, Willander can replace. 

Blueger - keep, but if there's no cap room, oh well, bye. 

Myers - keep if we can sign for cheap

Mikheyev - I'm open to giving him one more year. Still feel for him a little coming off a significant knee injury, but also won't be mad if we just buy him out. 

Lafferty - bye bye

Ian Cole - good riddance, bye

DeSmith - sorry, Silovs took your job. 

Domi-Miller-Boeser

Pettersson-Lindholm-Toffoli 

Hoglander-Suter-Garland

Bains-Aman-Podz

Hughes-Roy

Zadorov-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

Lindholm 5 years 6.5 million 

Domi (2 yrs 3 million)

Toffoli (2 years 5 mill)

Zadorov ( 6 years 4.5 million)

Roy (4 years 4.5 million)

Myers 2 years (3.5 million)

Trade Hronek for 1st and top prospect 

Let Joshua,Blueger,Cole,DeSmith all walk

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Domi-Miller-Boeser

Pettersson-Lindholm-Toffoli 

Hoglander-Suter-Garland

Bains-Aman-Podz

Hughes-Roy

Zadorov-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

Lindholm 5 years 6.5 million 

Domi (2 yrs 3 million)

Toffoli (2 years 5 mill)

Zadorov ( 6 years 4.5 million)

Roy (4 years 4.5 million)

Myers 2 years (3.5 million)

Trade Hronek for 1st and top prospect 

Let Joshua,Blueger,Cole,DeSmith all walk

Why does this board have a fascination with Domi?  Domi is not a first liner and frankly I don’t want his inconsistency in our lineup at all. 
‘So much I don’t like here. Letting Joshua go is nuts especially in favour of a scrub who lives off his father’s name. 
If 5x6.5 got it done for Lindholm it would have been done already.

Edited by DrJockitch

On 5/16/2024 at 8:31 AM, HKSR said:

We need to re-sign Hronek unless he asks for the moon and won't sign a reasonable deal.  Losing him leaves a massive hole in our top pair that we've been searching for for years.  There is absolutely ZERO guarantees that we can sign a UFA or even trade for a replacement.  ZERO guarantee.  We just hope that we would be able to, and if not, we'll be hunting for a top pair RHD for several years to come... AGAIN.

Joshua is a must keep.

Zadorov is clearly a must keep.

Lindholm is the same as Hronek.  If he is willing to sign a reasonable deal, then absolutely we keep him.

Mikheyev needs to be traded.  At his cap hit, we would need a 50pt season out of him.  He's never come close to that in his career (albeit he has been on pace for it in years past).

Would love to see Blueger back, but not at a higher cap hit.  Same goes with Myers.

Anyways, our priorities would be to re-sign Hronek, Joshua, and Zadorov.  Lindholm would be 4th on the list for me. 

You're absolutely bang on! Hronek should come in more reasonable now that he's lost some leverage. We absolutely should be re-signing him. Especially for his value as an RHD. That top pairing is set and will become even better. Like you say, it just needs to be reasonable. You don't break that up now that it's known and successful for the endless search for the unknown. Besides, look what happened when we actually got what everyone wanted. They couldn't wait to get rid of him and start that process all over again. I'm convinced that would only happen again no matter who we get. 

Also agree with the others you listed. Zad and Joshua for sure. If Lindholm doesn't want to go to market and wants to be part of this, he may be more reasonable if there's unfinished business. 

It's clear Mik needs to go. 

There is a way to do this and make it work.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Great comments. I pretty much agree completely. I think you are right that the Canucks will probably prioritize Zad over Joshua and will want to keep one of those guys as they want to retain some team toughness. But I still think there is a good chance Zad leaves.

The thing about Zadorov is that he's having a lot of success on the NHL's biggest stage and likely every other franchise has people watching the Canucks

He's not a secret, other GM's are likely seeing him too and likely more than a few of them would be willing to pay him via UFA

I think he stays, but I think the playoffs have likely driven up what he'll cost, I wouldn't be surprised if he walks to UFA either though

Same goes for Joshua imo, his price has probably gone up too, but I think he walks

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The thing about Zadorov is that he's having a lot of success on the NHL's biggest stage and likely every other franchise has people watching the Canucks

He's not a secret, other GM's are likely seeing him too and likely more than a few of them would be willing to pay him via UFA

I think he stays, but I think the playoffs have likely driven up what he'll cost, I wouldn't be surprised if he walks to UFA either though

Same goes for Joshua imo, his price has probably gone up too, but I think he walks

Take a look at my thread in Proposals... I've got top dollars on all of our free agents, and it'll work out.  It's very promising once you look at the numbers.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks are going to make Zadorov the first priority to re-sign, Joshua the second and Lindholm the third. 

Exactly...no defenceman reaches Hughes salary. Joshua is the big forward we cherish. Lindholm the face-off forward we seemed. Joshua and Lindholm are great defensive. 

Hroneck is riding Hughes success. But never get his salary.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Take a look at my thread in Proposals... I've got top dollars on all of our free agents, and it'll work out.  It's very promising once you look at the numbers.

The Canucks will re-sign Zadorov, but it won't be for anything under $5M a season. They know how rare a commodity he is and how seamlessly he's woven himself into the team's fabric. He's in tight with Miller, Garland, and Myers. Alvin won't let him hit the open market. 

• Cheers 1