Offseason Planning - regardless of outcome

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Dump Mikheyev, easy no brainer.

Of all free agents, I’d prioritize Lindholm first. If you can get him around $6.5-7M, that would be perfect. Use JT Miller as a bench mark. If he asks for anything above $7.5M, I’d let him walk.

Zadorov if you can sign him between $4.5-5.2M ish. I would not re sign him if he asks for well north of 5M.

Joshua is tricky for me. He didn’t have a good playoffs outside of 2 games. Garland is the engine of that line and has carried Joshua exponentially in the offensive department. That said, Joshua is a high volume hitter and a big body that is pretty important on the PK. I think there will be teams who will offer him $4M+ and if that’s the case then you let him walk and hope Podkolzin can take his role next year. Most I’d offer him is $2.8M-3.5M, the more money the shorter term he gets. 

Cole I’d be fine re signing him to a $1M contract as a 6th/7th D next year.

Guys who we should not bring back:

DeSmith - Silovs is here. Nuff said.

Lafferty - outside of his hot start the guy has been utter trash. 

Blueger - can walk tbh. He was a good player for us, but we should definitely use his spot for one of our Abby guys. Easy $1.9M shaved right there.

Myers - Admittedly had a terrific season but I highly doubt he’ll return for a team friendly deal. He posted top 4 numbers and might look to cash in on his last opportunity  to get a decent sized contract from a team looking for RHD experience.

I thought Blueger really showed his worth in the playoffs.  He was quietly insyrumental

• Cheers 1

Just because Lafferty wasn't a difference maker in the end doesn't mean we should rule him out. If he wants to sign cheap then just sign him. He at least fit into the team. He wasn't Curtis Lazar.

• Cheers 1

Hronek at 7x8 years 

zadorov at 4x6 years

joshua 3x4 years

blueger 1.25x3 years

I’m open to bringing back Myers but at a reduced price maybe around 3m on a 1 year deal or 2.5m x 2 years

Cole if he wants to come back on a Giodano type deal at 900k sure but he can’t play every night anymore 

lafferty bye bye 

Lindholm is the weird one cause I would love for him to come back at 5.5m x 5 years or something like that but it leaves no money to find a top 6 winger 

2 hours ago, Conscience said:

Hronek can go, not good defensively not great offensively.

why waste 6-7 mil on that. 

sign tanev until willander is ready

Hronek isn't a UFA and isn't going anywhere. Hronek is the only reason why Myers wasn't terrible this year. It is amazing how short of memories people have. 

• Confused 1

Just now, stawns said:

I thought Blueger really showed his worth in the playoffs.  He was quietly insyrumental

He’s one of those where you’d love to have him back, but Suter has had a much more positive impact and quite staggeringly has boosted each and every line he’s played in. 

Miller has played some of his best even strength hockey next to Suter. Now I don’t think Suter is a permanent solution to the top 6, but because of his versatility in that he can play wing and center, I would prioritize finding him a permanent spot in the line up and that would be as our 3C/W moving forward. And if you’re signing Lindholm to be a 3C/top 6 W, adding Blueger is a bit of an added luxury and his cap space can be used to improve or sign other areas of concern.

Suter reminds me of Trent Klatt from the WCE era. Just an overall line booster that lowkey tilts the ice and has a positive impact in whatever line he’s on.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Just because Lafferty wasn't a difference maker in the end doesn't mean we should rule him out. If he wants to sign cheap then just sign him. He at least fit into the team. He wasn't Curtis Lazar.

Lafferty has been a no show for majority of the year. His hot start was due to riding an abnormally high shooting percentage alongside Hoglander’s also incredibly high shooting percentage. He’s been ineffective for literally 5 months now and has not provided a consistent level of pace and energy he was meant to provide. He’s also not a good PK’er.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Hronek isn't a UFA and isn't going anywhere. Hronek is the only reason why Myers wasn't terrible this year. It is amazing how short of memories people have. 

What? This is literally the biggest off basest  comment I think I’ve seen in a long time.

Hronek has had nothing to do with Myers. Myers playing alongside Soucy and Cole is what neutered Myers’s defensive flaws alongside playing some stable minutes. I’m not sure how a largely defensively challenged player like Hronek had any bearing on Myers play. Unless you’re arguing ice time? But even then, the minutes have been largely shared equally among Soucy, Cole and Zadorov to go along with Myers. This is just a strange comment and not really based in any sort of reality or facts.

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, LaBamba said:

IMG_9772.thumb.jpeg.e45bbd206a0e32bc68684b655ce2f497.jpeg

Mikheyev is getting bought out. 1.55M over 4 years ain’t shit. 

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Shopping Hronek is probably on the table, but it will need to be a 1st and roster player or I think that they go to arbitration.

A Mik buyout has to be on the table with what @LaBamba just posted.

I'd let Cole walk and not overpay for DJ.

Silovs won the backup job, and he'll be cheap.

Really need to fit Lindy back in somehow, maybe letting dj walk, replace Cole with Juulson, Silovs at 1 mil, and a Mik buyout? 

Which is what they have with Mik anyway, and they get to add talent. I could see it if it's the difference to keep someone like Z or not.

It's really sad to see, but Mik is toast. Unless he agrees to go to robidas island I think a buyout is possible.

I can't see a first for a cap dump. 

We might also be handcuffed by miks NTC list.

I don't think LaBamba (Yuck Oilers lol) has the exact correct numbers. I get this:

image.thumb.png.3ca71dfcccfe1b060af40c2a87c6790b.png

That second year it goes up to $2.15 right during the OEL $4.75. I have to agree with @stawns I don't think they'll buy him out either. I hated the deal the second it was signed myself. 🤒 The last thing we needed was a $5 million 3rd/4th liner. I don't think they like this route but I'd just retain $1.2 or $2.35 for 2 years. Should be tradeable then. Frees up 2-3 mil for the next two years.

No way do I want to give up another first rounder, but we have so little in useable assets we may have to do it. If we did give up that much I would be hunting for a strong contributor on a great contract to help us navigate the next couple of years and still compete for a Cup run with Hughes being cheap and Miller still on top of his game. I would try to separate that from a Mik deal.

Can't see us fitting in Lindholm. This is the reason we traded Bo. You can't realistically expect any sort of competitive team when you're paying your third line center $8 mil. That means you'll have no wingers to play with them.

Having said this I wonder if the team might take a step back this year, intentional or unintended. Boeser, even if he can play will have had a huge setback to his summer and we might simply not have him get anywhere near 40 again this year. Also so many question marks about the line-up and the OEL hit. Will JR and PA attack this season or keep their eyes on a longer term approach?

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Hopefully they keep these players on the team

? - Miller - Boeser

Pettersson - Lindholm - ?

Joshua - ? - Garland

Hoglander - ? - Podkolzin

Lekkerimaki

Hughes - ?

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - ?

Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't think LaBamba (Yuck Oilers lol) has the exact correct numbers. I get this:

That second year it goes up to $2.15 right during the OEL $4.75. I have to agree with @stawns I don't think they'll buy him out either. I hated the deal the second it was signed myself. 🤒 The last thing we needed was a $5 million 3rd/4th liner. I don't think they like this route but I'd just retain $1.2 or $2.35 for 2 years. Should be tradeable then. Frees up 2-3 mil for the next two years.

No way do I want to give up another first rounder, but we have so little in useable assets we may have to do it. If we did give up that much I would be hunting for a strong contributor on a great contract to help us navigate the next couple of years and still compete for a Cup run with Hughes being cheap and Miller still on top of his game. I would try to separate that from a Mik deal.

Can't see us fitting in Lindholm. This is the reason we traded Bo. You can't realistically expect any sort of competitive team when you're paying your third line center $8 mil. That means you'll have no wingers to play with them.

Having said this I wonder if the team might take a step back this year, intentional or unintended. Boeser, even if he can play will have had a huge setback to his summer and we might simply not have him get anywhere near 40 again this year. Also so many question marks about the line-up and the OEL hit. Will JR and PA attack this season or keep their eyes on a longer term approach?

Well, if you want to get rid of Mikheyev, then you gotta attach a sweetener. Another first, I would be loathe to do. But do you bite the bullet on the next two years with Mikheyev and hope he regains some usefulness? He's just wasted space at this point. He doesn't do anything on the ice. He "looks" busy. Can't score, and he's not a threat on the ice when he's on. 

While I agree that you can't have an 8M third-line centreman, do we have a choice? You need depth in the playoffs; where else are we going to be that strong down the middle? We have no centre prospects that could take that third-line spot the way Lindholm took it and performed. Those kinds of players you'd have to pay for (like Lindholm). I also heard rumours about how hard it was for his wife to move here. I wonder if stability has any influence in his decision to remain in Vancouver. They're now probably settled. Would they risk moving again (maybe even to the East Coast)? I say if the Canucks counter with an offer of 7-7.5M, I think he signs. I'm not convinced he would get 9M on the open market, though I could be wrong since I'm no GM, and there are historically stupid GMs come July 1st. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I wonder if the team might take a step back this year, intentional or unintended. Boeser, even if he can play will have had a huge setback to his summer and we might simply not have him get anywhere near 40 again this year. Also so many question marks about the line-up and the OEL hit. Will JR and PA attack this season or keep their eyes on a longer term approach?

They out GM’d themselves. All their moves turned to gold now we can’t afford them. However, their pro scouting is obviously off the charts. There is no doubt they’ll find more players that fit the brand they’re trying to create. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, if you want to get rid of Mikheyev, then you gotta attach a sweetener. Another first, I would be loathe to do. But do you bite the bullet on the next two years with Mikheyev and hope he regains some usefulness? He's just wasted space at this point. He doesn't do anything on the ice. He "looks" busy. Can't score, and he's not a threat on the ice when he's on. 

While I agree that you can't have an 8M third-line centreman, do we have a choice? You need depth in the playoffs; where else are we going to be that strong down the middle? We have no centre prospects that could take that third-line spot the way Lindholm took it and performed. Those kinds of players you'd have to pay for (like Lindholm). I also heard rumours about how hard it was for his wife to move here. I wonder if stability has any influence in his decision to remain in Vancouver. They're now probably settled. Would they risk moving again (maybe even to the East Coast)? I say if the Canucks counter with an offer of 7-7.5M, I think he signs. I'm not convinced he would get 9M on the open market, though I could be wrong since I'm no GM, and there are historically stupid GMs come July 1st. 

Again, according to frank seravelli, the Canucks don't believe that's the case and they also believe with a summer of bring able to train, he will be the player he can be

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Odd. said:

I’d prioritize Lindholm first. If you can get him around $6.5-7M, that would be perfect. Use JT Miller as a bench mark. If he asks for anything above $7.5M, I’d let him walk.

Then he's likely walking. Reports are he wants 8-9m per (which is why Calgary decided to ship him out), and I suspect he'd be able to get that on the open market. Boston, for example, has the cap space and really wanted him at the deadline.

As much as I love his compete and his ability to give us a second matchup line, he didn't help solve our need for a top 6 scoring winger to pair with Petey, which I think is a more pressing need right now. Nor am I convinced that we can solve this need internally by moving around existing pieces. 

From my advantage point, our biggest weaknesses in the playoffs were:

1. Petey's line not driving enough play / producing 5 on 5

2. Limited options / production on the power play

To address 1 & 2, I think we need to find a scoring winger that we don't currently have.

So then the question is whether we'd rather spend 8-9,  or even 7+, on Lindy or use that cap space to address 1 & 2.

Edited by syntheticity
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, according to frank seravelli, the Canucks don't believe that's the case and they also believe with a summer of bring able to train, he will be the player he can be

I don't have an issue with that, I think that's fair. 

The guy came off a major knee surgery, so was busy rehabbing instead of training last summer. He'll have a full summer of training this time around. I'd rather give him another year before strapping the team with another buyout so soon. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I don't have an issue with that, I think that's fair. 

The guy came off a major knee surgery, so was busy rehabbing instead of training last summer. He'll have a full summer of training this time around. I'd rather give him another year before strapping the team with another buyout so soon. 

I'm in the same boat.  If they can move him, great, if not, I'm fine with that too as I think he'll return to form after actually training in the off season 

What I'm not ok with is a buyout or spending assets just to get rid of him.  Imo, the went about dealing with OEL that way and it's going to be a very large thorn in their side for a long time 

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

I wonder what will happen w Boeser?  He’s a guy I could see trying to make it work in VAN, but if his $ ask is too high it would be better to move him before heading into the season.  

Possible ufa replacement: Toffoli

Ive been biting my lip during the playoffs but Hronek is gonzo unless he dramatically lowers his $ ask.  Nowhere near the type of impact player he seems to think he is.

Possible ufa replacement: Tanev

Lafferty: just not hungry/impactful enough

Replacement: Podzy

PDG: love the guy.  I’d strongly consider having him in the mix as a 13th forward, spot placement given how reliable and just a good person to have around (especially for younger guys)

Replacement: Bains, Karlsson 

Lindholm: love the player, but at his age Im not sure the Canucks should swing for him.  He’s a top 6 C and the Canucks already have Miller/Petey who need to perform

in those roles.

Replacement: re-sign Bleugar (perfect utility 3C and I think will continue to play well)

Joshua: like the player, but I really dont think the Canucks need to overpay to keep him.  He’s got a good thing going here but if he wants to chase as much $ as he can get-more power to him.  IMO Garland is the guy that stirs the drink and while Joshua is good, Garly deserves most of credit for how the line performs.

Replacement:  have to hope Bains, Karlsson  can develop into offensive contributors like Joshua did

Mikheyev: if they cant trade him, have to hope he can train properly this summer and bounce back 

Big Z: I love the swagger he brings.  He leads the wolfpack no doubt and the team really benefits from it.  Truly curious what his drawn in the line contract ask is.  

Possible replacement: Brendon Dillon

Canucks have a lot of internal options imo.  Podz, Bains, Karlsson, Sasson.  They arnt the sexy names but they are definitely the group of internal and hopefully hungry players that can inject some energy into the line up.

Going back to Boeser, top 6 needs a couple of wingers.  Hoagie and Boeser if they stay put work but some extra offensive punch would help immensely.  But they cant be soft either.  Both Petey and Miller need an extra winger who can win battles/leading to more o zone possession.

Gonna be an interesting off season for sure.  PA/JR will have a lot of eyes on them.

Edited by AngryGoose

12 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

I wonder what will happen w Boeser?  He’s a guy I could see trying to make it work in VAN, but if his $ ask is too high it would be better to move him before heading into the season.  

Possible ufa replacement: Toffoli

Ive been biting my lip during the playoffs but Hronek is gonzo unless he dramatically lowers his $ ask.  Nowhere near the type of impact player he seems to think he is.

Possible ufa replacement: Tanev

Lafferty: just not hungry/impactful enough

Replacement: Podzy

PDG: love the guy.  I’d strongly consider having him in the mix as a 13th forward, spot placement given how reliable and just a good person to have around (especially for younger guys)

Replacement: Bains, Karlsson 

Lindholm: love the player, but at his age Im not sure the Canucks should swing for him.  He’s a top 6 C and the Canucks already have Miller/Petey who need to perform

in those roles.

Replacement: re-sign Bleugar (perfect utility 3C and I think will continue to play well)

Joshua: like the player, but I really dont think the Canucks need to overpay to keep him.  He’s got a good thing going here but if he wants to chase as much $ as he can get-more power to him.  IMO Garland is the guy that stirs the drink and while Joshua is good, Garly deserves most of credit for how the line performs.

Replacement:  have to hope Bains, Karlsson  can develop into offensive contributors like Joshua did

Mikheyev: if they cant trade him, have to hope he can train properly this summer and bounce back 

Big Z: I love the swagger he brings.  He leads the wolfpack no doubt and the team really benefits from it.  Truly curious what his drawn in the line contract ask is.  

Canucks have a lot of internal options imo.  Podz, Bains, Karlsson, Sasson.  They arnt the sexy names but they are definitely the group of internal and hopefully hungry players that can inject some energy into the line up.

Going back to Boeser, top 6 needs a couple of wingers.  Hoagie and Boeser if they stay put work but some extra offensive punch would help immensely.  But they cant be soft either.  Both Petey and Miller need an extra winger who can win battles/leading to more o zone possession.

Gonna be an interesting off season for sure.  PA/JR will have a lot of eyes on them.

No mention of Raty?  Guy had 52 points as a 21 year old.  Aside from Karlsson, he's probably #2 on the depth chart.

People shouldn't sleep on Klim either, he's also only 21

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Wait till you hear about a thing called trades.

hronek and myers improvements unrelated. 

thanks for coming out

• Cheers 1

Also the Canucks need an aggressive PP player who can make life hell for the opposing PK battling/winning loose pucks.  The net front/bumper spots need someone w an aggressive style of play.

3 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

Also the Canucks need an aggressive PP player who can make life hell for the opposing PK battling/winning loose pucks.  The net front/bumper spots need someone w an aggressive style of play.

I think they just need to change the way they run their PP, to be honest.

1 hour ago, Conscience said:

Wait till you hear about a thing called trades.

hronek and myers improvements unrelated. 

thanks for coming out

Hronek is thee reason why Myers minutes were reduced to a point where he can manage a game without looking like Darnell Nurse. That is indisputable. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Billabong said:

Hronek at 7x8 years 

zadorov at 4x6 years

joshua 3x4 years

blueger 1.25x3 years

I’m open to bringing back Myers but at a reduced price maybe around 3m on a 1 year deal or 2.5m x 2 years

Cole if he wants to come back on a Giodano type deal at 900k sure but he can’t play every night anymore 

lafferty bye bye 

Lindholm is the weird one cause I would love for him to come back at 5.5m x 5 years or something like that but it leaves no money to find a top 6 winger 

I suspect PA / JR will, sadly, do something like packaging up the Garden Gnome / Mik / draft pick for a stud winger to play with Petey - bit of pay to jettison and take on a contract plus a good player being sold high. Will be sad to see Garland go if that is what actually happens but then that is why PA / JR get paid the bucks - bring a Stanley Cup here rather than assemble players to sit around a campfire singing Kumbaya My Lord ...

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm not unconvinced on the Mik buyout option, JR/PA are pretty gangster and if that was the one thing in the way of retaining who they want, I can see it.

Burning a 1st would really suck tho, I'd rather they try to attach someone like Podz instead and maybe make it a hockey trade with a d coming back our way.

I really hope Lindy sees Boston for the shit town it is, and likes coastal life more. 

• Upvote 1