Offseason Planning - regardless of outcome

UFAs

Lindholm - Re-sign for $6, or let him walk

Joshua - Re-sign for $3.5 (give him $4 if Mikheyev is traded)

Blueger - Re-sign for $2

Lafferty - Let him walk

Cole - Let him walk

Zadorov - Re-sign for $6

Myers - If Hronek re-signs, let him walk

Friedman - Re-sign for $775 or let him walk

DeSmith - Let him walk

RFAs

Hronek - Offer him $6, or let him walk

Silovs - Re-sign to backup Demko next season

7 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I don't know what's going to happen to Hronek, Zadorov, Joshua and Lindhom, but need to find a top 6 winger for Pettersson to play with in the summer. 

Milller-Boes

Guentzel-Petey

that would be great as the main pairs in the top 6. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)

Priority sequence:

1. Joshua (age and fit) 4.55m x4

2. Zadorov (age and fit) 4.9m x6

3. Hronek (position of need) 7.25m x7

4. Lindholm (UFA to Boston at 8m+ per) 8m x7

Edited by Western Red

1 minute ago, Western Red said:

Priority sequence:

1. Joshua (age and fit) 4.55m x4

2. Zadorov (age and fit) 4.9m x6

3. Hronek (position of need) 7.25m x7

4. Lindholm (UFA to Boston at 8m+ per) 8m x7

I'd bump up Lindy over Hronek, according to Dhali he wants 8+.

The thing about Lindholm is we don't have any other RH C's. You could see how crucial that was to have a right side guy to negate Miller being overworked on his weak side too much.

Yes, its costly but also one of those key matchup things that can be overlooked, imo anyway. 

also (Im sure Ill have 100x more of these) but I think its time for Garland to move into the top 6.  Him and Miller are good friends and just how well he supports/digs/comes up w loose pucks would compliment Miller and boeser or joshua depending on what happens.  I do think Miller would thrive having Garland on his line.

Also, Brendon Dillon should be an off season target and could mitigate a loss of Big Z on the back end

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

One point about Hronek is that he was apparently playing through an upper body injury late in the season and in the playoffs. A lot of fan base has turned against Hronek and he was not flashy in the playoffs. But, in terms of overall ability and performance for the year as a whole, he is only D on the team, aside from Hughes, who is a legitimate top pairing guy.

That said, if he is holding firm at 8 I would trade him. I would go to 7.5 and would not feel good about it. I would be happy with something like 7.2 or 7.3 for a long term deal (6 to 8 years).

I like Hronek a lot. He has good chemistry with Hughes, has a cannon of a shot, is decently physical, and has a ton of runway left to grow on the defensive side. But for $8 million? HELL NAW

• Cheers 2

The thing that’s so hard with this offseason is that a number of players who showed up for the playoffs aren’t under contract.

This management team better be ruthless in terms of retaining playoff performers and moving on from the rest. I don’t care if a guy puts up 100 points before Christmas, if he can’t show up in the playoffs (ie. Pettersson). We just can’t do that for another decade…Jesus. 54 years and counting without a championship better sharpen the senses.

Anyway, those who performed in the playoffs: Lindholm, Zadorov, Myers

Those who were underwhelming: Cole, Joshua, Blueger…and to an extent Hronek.

Given the positions they play Hronek and Myers seem like they need to come back.

Zadorov is interesting, in that does he ever play above Soucey…? Would a longer term contract for him block D Petey…?

Lindholm seems like a must for me. I’d actually be okay with moving on from Joshua, because I think it was actually the Lindholm-Garland duo that mattered. Plus all the assets we gave up to get him. That one’s going to hurt if it doesn’t work out.

17 minutes ago, JamesB said:

One point about Hronek is that he was apparently playing through an upper body injury late in the season and in the playoffs. A lot of fan base has turned against Hronek and he was not flashy in the playoffs. But, in terms of overall ability and performance for the year as a whole, he is only D on the team, aside from Hughes, who is a legitimate top pairing guy.

That said, if he is holding firm at 8 I would trade him. I would go to 7.5 and would not feel good about it. I would be happy with something like 7.2 or 7.3 for a long term deal (6 to 8 years).

He had what, 12 points, after the all star break,?

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, if you want to get rid of Mikheyev, then you gotta attach a sweetener. Another first, I would be loathe to do. But do you bite the bullet on the next two years with Mikheyev and hope he regains some usefulness? He's just wasted space at this point. He doesn't do anything on the ice. He "looks" busy. Can't score, and he's not a threat on the ice when he's on. 

While I agree that you can't have an 8M third-line centreman, do we have a choice? You need depth in the playoffs; where else are we going to be that strong down the middle? We have no centre prospects that could take that third-line spot the way Lindholm took it and performed. Those kinds of players you'd have to pay for (like Lindholm). I also heard rumours about how hard it was for his wife to move here. I wonder if stability has any influence in his decision to remain in Vancouver. They're now probably settled. Would they risk moving again (maybe even to the East Coast)? I say if the Canucks counter with an offer of 7-7.5M, I think he signs. I'm not convinced he would get 9M on the open market, though I could be wrong since I'm no GM, and there are historically stupid GMs come July 1st. 

Yeah, Mik is a mess. Are there any other teams out there running an $7.5 - $8 mil dollar 3C though, or remotely close to that? If we do it that pretty much means the team isn't going to be any better next year, with even less depth on the wings (Raty, Aman, Bains, Pods) than we have now. That's an extra $6.5 - $7 million for him and Petey alone. I would probably run a guy like Blueger or another defensive ufa there at far less price. Ah, well I trust this group to make good decisions whichever route they go.

4 hours ago, NoHeart said:

They out GM’d themselves. All their moves turned to gold now we can’t afford them. However, their pro scouting is obviously off the charts. There is no doubt they’ll find more players that fit the brand they’re trying to create. 

Yeah, I think our pro scouting is very strong. We should concentrate on finding the right support players again. I wonder if Joshua is pricing himself out for sure though.

i think they will try and move poolman and mikheyev first. then they take stock of cap space and then add the right pieces. i can't stop thinking that necas will be added. i'ld like to see lindholm and petey share center on same line. maybe necas with them.

imo, hughes can thrive with a good defensive defenseman.

JR and PA are not afraid to trade anyone. i trust their vision.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

You definitely need to take a real good run at Lindholm. Just for the option of putting EP on the wing more. 
We need to find more speed on the wing. 
I think Dak was very important and Tocch’s system needs more of that. 
Mik is almost as frustrating as PlayerName. Worse hands than Honey Badger. 
Smart management group. Happy to see what they do.

Hopefully Arty Party comes in and we can keep Demko at a steady pace for 50ish games next year. 
JR has always tended toward big fast wingers to complement his stars and that is what we need more of. 

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

I don't know what's going to happen to Hronek, Zadorov, Joshua and Lindhom, but need to find a top 6 winger for Pettersson to play with in the summer. 

That's my biggest worry with Lindholm. We need a quality 1st line winger far more than a way over qualified and expensive 3C. It's just math.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's my biggest worry with Lindholm. We need a quality 1st line winger far more than a way over qualified and expensive 3C. It's just math.

Who's the RHC then next year?

JR said when coming to the canucks that the mix was wrong. they added some of those pieces but we need another joshua and another boeser.

i'm sure they will try to find them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JamesB said:

I agree but if he's not budging then no thanks..8 mill is over-payment.

Edited by Canuck You
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Canuck You said:

I agree but if he's not budging then no thanks..8 mill is over-payment, Some team like Toronto will prob give it to him.

Hronek is an RFA. We control him for another season. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Petey is a great centre. Miller is a great centre. Both are fabulous wingers. We can keep Lindholm and play Petey or Miller at wing. And still have the option for all three as centres if needed. The Empties think Lindholm is headed to Boston but wouldn’t mind if we keep him too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hronek is an RFA. We control him for another season. 

Yep we can go team elected arbitration if we want to play hardball. Forces Hronek to have to have another great year, and it comes with injury risk too.

Not ideal for us, but it's an option if his agent won't budge.

• ThereItIs 1

The canucks defenietly have some tough decisions upcoming but I think the key here is just that... we have decisions, options and flexibility.

There's also a lot of talent available on the FA market this year and if JRs history shows anything is that you need to find surplus value on your contracts. Bringing everyone back and giving them a pay day won't give us any surplus value.

If wete going to pay 8+ million on a defenseman than my vote is for Montour not Hronek. Montour  is a xfactor on both sides of the rink

And for upfront, Jake Debrusk looks intriguing to me, even Chandler Stephenson. Better options in top 6 LW if you ask me

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Trebreh said:

Garland