Offseason Planning - regardless of outcome

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I would hope so. I'd personally prioritize him over Joshua.

I'm considering Joshua as gone.  Unless he comes in at $2m or below, that's too much, imo.  They found Joshua, they can find another guy to replace him, imo.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Management has some really tough calls to make. They can't keep all of the players, so which ones do they keep? My hope is that they've watched enough of the playoffs and discussed with Tocchet's team and decided they only want the playoff performers to return.

My list of players who struggled in these playoffs

Pettersson - Petey gets a pass

Mikheyev

Suter

Blueger

Hoglander

Podkolzin - Podz gets a pass

Lafferty

Aman

Hughes - Huggy gets a pass

Hronek

Cole

DeSmith

2024/25 Team

? - Miller - Boeser

Pettersson - Lindholm - Lekkerimaki

Joshua - ? - Garland

Podkolzin - Raty/Sasson - DiGiuseppe/Karlsson/Bains

Hughes - ?

Zadorov - Myers (only if he takes a discount)

Soucy - McWard

Brisebois - Juulsen

Keep the playoff performers, add deserving prospects to learn from this core (saving $), and fill in the blanks with UFAs.

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Management has some really tough calls to make. They can't keep all of the players, so which ones do they keep? My hope is that they've watched enough of the playoffs and discussed with Tocchet's team and decided they only want the playoff performers to return.

Mikheyev

Suter

Blueger

Hoglander

Lafferty

Aman

Hronek

Cole

DeSmith

2024/25 Team

? - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - ? - Garland

Hughes - ?

Soucy - McWard

Brisebois - Juulsen

Keep the playoff performers, add deserving prospects to learn from this core (saving $), and fill in the blanks with UFAs.

I thought Blueger had a strong playoff.  Why do you think he didn't?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Mikheyev

Suter

Blueger

Hoglander

Lafferty

Aman

Hronek

Cole

DeSmith

2024/25 Team

? - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - ? - Garland

Hughes - ?

Soucy - McWard

Brisebois - Juulsen

id love to see lekerimakki make the lineup but i think pencilling him in now before hes seen any real AHL action is premature

+ this management likes to let prospects cook, i think hes going to get 1-2 years in abbotsford

i also dont think we should be judging all the players solely based on these playoffs. Hoglander is breaking out in a major way, only 23 years old and scored at a 25 goal pace, mostly from the bottom 6. 

Bluegar was very good as well, hes also pretty critical to our pk

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm considering Joshua as gone.  Unless he comes in at $2m or below, that's too much, imo.  They found Joshua, they can find another guy to replace him, imo.

yep. Tocc and his bench should be able to pull a lot of of any number of more affordable options in free agency. 

Pittsburg has been good at bringing guys into their system, and I see the same potential here for some roster rotation in a similar way. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Nicely set up @R3aL

I think getting rid of Mika is of massive priority, as they need his cap hit to make the other signing possible...

Also think that Myers maybe comes together with Hronek... If Hronek gets shifted, Myers would likely stay so we at least have 1 top 4 RHD...

Finally, wonder if they just sign Hronek to his qualifying offer or slightly above on a one year show me deal... They risk him walking, but that would be an easier way to make the numbers work next season...?

Thanks ya a I agree I think They might try to move mik regardless.

i think Myers gets resigned no matter what happens with hronek.

and I don’t know I’m super curious how they handle Hronek and how they’ll avoid arbitration. If we do the one year deal and keep him I think that’s the worse outcome we could do imo

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

id love to see lekerimakki make the lineup but i think pencilling him in now before hes seen any real AHL action is premature

+ this management likes to let prospects cook, i think hes going to get 1-2 years in abbotsford

i also dont think we should be judging all the players solely based on these playoffs. Hoglander is breaking out in a major way, only 23 years old and scored at a 25 goal pace, mostly from the bottom 6. 

Bluegar was very good as well, hes also pretty critical to our pk

I don't think it's even remotely realistic to have Lek in the lineup, especially when you have guys in Abby who had good years.

I know people are writing off Bains, but very few mid season call ups do much other than maintain, he's still in the mix imo.  Further to that Raty is coming off a 52 point season as a 21 year old, he'll be much higher up the depth chart than Lek.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Meaning what?  Trade him?  Id say he's a pretty key guy in their lineup.  Move him to top 6 and fund a third line replacement for him........a lot cheaper and easier to find than a top 6 winger

Yes meaning trade him.

I seem to remember Garland being tried in the top 2 lines plenty times before with limited success, which was one of the reasons he is on the 3rd line in the first place... If he doesn't fit on the top 2 lines, there will never be a better time to trade him and get a good return, if they are looking for a top scoring winger for Petey?

The Garland - Petey - Hogs looks like a line that will be taking a fair beating, good or not... Lindholm together with Petey and Garland looks better, but it depends on whether they think Garland and Petey clicks and Garland scores enough.

In the end it's about numbers... and somethings have to give. Can't afford all the goodies we have at the moment with pay rises, without there being sacrifices... 

If they are looking for a scoring winger for Petey, money needs to be found somewhere...

I think, they'd be after Lindholm to centre a line with Petey on his wing.

11 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Thanks ya a I agree I think They might try to move mik regardless.

i think Myers gets resigned no matter what happens with hronek.

and I don’t know I’m super curious how they handle Hronek and how they’ll avoid arbitration. If we do the one year deal and keep him I think that’s the worse outcome we could do imo

The advantage of keeping Hronek for 1 year would obviously be they think Tom will be ready in another year... it's a gamble, would keep money around instead of the big numbers being thrown around. 

If they trade Hronek, they have to find another RHD instead, and if the keep him ($8M), somebody else gives it up...

And yes I also expect Myers on a 2-3 year deal to give Willander extra time to develop, but again it depends on the numbers...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

If they move Garland up, I think they won't have to overpay for another winger.  I know you have hogz as a bottom 6, but at 24 goals, he's a top 6, imo.  

Hogz Miller Boes

Petey Lindy Garland 

Exactly what I was thinking.  

Hogs Miller Boeser

Petey Lindy Garland

xxxx Suter xxxx

xxxx Blueger xxxx

Hughes - xxxx

Soucy - xxxx

Z - xxxx

Would love to keep Hronek but it sounds like he priced himself off the roster a la Horvat, though will be much harder to replace.

1 minute ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Hogs Miller Boeser

Petey Lindy Garland

xxxx Suter xxxx

xxxx Blueger xxxx

Hughes - xxxx

Soucy - xxxx

Z - xxxx

Would love to keep Hronek but it sounds like he priced himself off the roster a la Horvat, though will be much harder to replace.

Yes as you say yourself, problem with this is zero RHD... they cost more than any LHD and are harder to replace...

It might be that they end up having to find at least 2 RHD (Juulsen can play bottom pairing) but we also need room for Tom, when he is ready...

And we also need some strength in the line up...

Joshua will not be that easy to replace, although Management has show a good talent for getting in the right players... they may still have a few aces up their sleeve... Not sure we have a replacement for him in the system (hitting and dropping the gloves as well as being a goal threat...  

Yep somethings gotta give...

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes as you say yourself, problem with this is zero RHD... they cost more than any LHD and are harder to replace...

It might be that they end up having to find at least 2 RHD (Juulsen can play bottom pairing) but we also need room for Tom, when he is ready...

And we also need some strength in the line up...

Joshua will not be that easy to replace, although Management has show a good talent for getting in the right players... they may still have a few aces up their sleeve... Not sure we have a replacement for him in the system (hitting and dropping the gloves as well as being a goal threat...  

Yep somethings gotta give...

Agreed spook. The bottom 6 wingers are less a priority than the RHD and may even be filled internally.  I am hoping, like many of us, that Myers stays to anchor the bottom 4 pairs.  That still leaves the top 2 RHD pairs open.  

Hopefully JR/PA have more rabbits to pull out of the hat.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Hogs Miller Boeser

Petey Lindy Garland

xxxx Suter xxxx

xxxx Blueger xxxx

Hughes - xxxx

Soucy - xxxx

Z - xxxx

We need an injection of talent in the top 6 beyond what is shown here. We need to get another RW (fills void until Lekkermaki is ready) to create flexibility if we want to load up a 3rd scoring line (like this year). As such, I would look for some of our abby guys to fill holes in the bottom 6 FT to save $$. Raty, Podz, Bains, Karlsson, etc come to mind. I love Blueger, but if he wants more that he is making now, we cant afford him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think it's even remotely realistic to have Lek in the lineup, especially when you have guys in Abby who had good years.

I know people are writing off Bains, but very few mid season call ups do much other than maintain, he's still in the mix imo.  Further to that Raty is coming off a 52 point season as a 21 year old, he'll be much higher up the depth chart than Lek.

Raty is looking like a 3rd-4th line LW with a nasty attitude. 
‘Does look like we have bottom 6 wing options but not really much else coming soon. 

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Raty is looking like a 3rd-4th line LW with a nasty attitude. 
‘Does look like we have bottom 6 wing options but not really much else coming soon. 

I'd love to see Raty learn his game alongside Blueger for 2 more years. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I'd love to see Raty learn his game alongside Blueger for 2 more years. 

Since we only have 2 NHL centres on the roster, one of which is sometimes a winger, and nothing else coming good chance he will be back. 
a 4th of Raty-Blue_Podz could be nasty and have a lot of potential though at least one of the wingers will need to kill penalties. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Since we only have 2 NHL centres on the roster, one of which is sometimes a winger, and nothing else coming good chance he will be back. 
a 4th of Raty-Blue_Podz could be nasty and have a lot of potential though at least one of the wingers will need to kill penalties. 

thats the line I was thinking. Would we miss Joshua with that line? 

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Mikheyev

Suter

Blueger

Hoglander

Lafferty

Aman

Hronek

Cole

DeSmith

2024/25 Team

? - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - ? - Garland

Hughes - ?

Soucy - McWard

Brisebois - Juulsen

Podz gets a pass, but Hogs doesn't?  Hogs was more noticeable than Podz pretty much all season in Vancouver and in the playoffs.

I hope Podz was still recovering from his concussion, and a summer off training will help him get back on track.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I don't 100% hate that for our 3rd to be honest. We have other moving pieces too (Suter, PDG) that can shuffle in and out too

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I completely agree re bains and raty

idk why people sleep on bains, the guy has made massive strides every single year and is clearly a very gifted playmaker. Hes got as good a shot as any to take a top-6 spot if he improves by the same amount he did last year. 

raty id like to see cook for one more year personally. hes got great natural offensive gifts, i think if he makes the jump to the nhl right now he'll be stunted by fourth line minutes and responsibilities. 20 mins of ice time / first line role in abby for one more year should help him

4 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

I completely agree re bains and raty

idk why people sleep on bains, the guy has made massive strides every single year and is clearly a very gifted playmaker. Hes got as good a shot as any to take a top-6 spot if he improves by the same amount he did last year. 

raty id like to see cook for one more year personally. hes got great natural offensive gifts, i think if he makes the jump to the nhl right now he'll be stunted by fourth line minutes and responsibilities. 20 mins of ice time / first line role in abby for one more year should help him

Because when he was up to Vancouver for a cup of coffee, he had wheels, but he couldn't finish.

Once again, maybe a good fitness routine, and work in the offseason could change things.

A lot of young players need to take a next step at training camp. It's great to have options.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because when he was up to Vancouver for a cup of coffee, he had wheels, but he couldn't finish.

Once again, maybe a good fitness routine, and work in the offseason could change things.

A lot of young players need to take a next step at training camp. It's great to have options.

he averaged less than 12 minutes of ice time per game in the nhl, hes also not a finisher hes a playmaker. he'll be more of a garland type player when hes up here for good. 

id be shocked if he fails to make the jump next year