Offseason Planning - regardless of outcome

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks will re-sign Zadorov, but it won't be for anything under $5M a season. They know how rare a commodity he is and how seamlessly he's woven himself into the team's fabric. He's in tight with Miller, Garland, and Myers. Alvin won't let him hit the open market. 

I have him at $5.75M (around Gavrikov numbers) and it still works for us:

• Cheers 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, snowman955 said:

Exactly...no defenceman reaches Hughes salary. Joshua is the big forward we cherish. Lindholm the face-off forward we seemed. Joshua and Lindholm are great defensive. 

Hroneck is riding Hughes success. But never get his salary.

Hronek had a solid game yesterday, his best of the playoffs. That being said, his impact falls behind Hughes, Zadorov, Myers, and Soucy in the post season. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Oh. Hahaha. I was looking at your sig. 

Oh haha, that was as of March 25th lol... my numbers are much different now with seeing the playoff performances 😆

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Your proposals are solid. Ever consider being a capologist?

I do work with numbers as my profession, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with finding the channels to be hired as a capologist lol

PS - updated my signature for today haha

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh haha, that was as of March 25th lol... my numbers are much different now with seeing the playoff performances 😆

Let me know if I am missing something here, but assuming the Canucks give out the contracts in your sig, they will still need to sign like 4 more players and have no cap room to do it. 

Just now, Pianoman said:

Let me know if I am missing something here, but assuming the Canucks give out the contracts in your sig, they will still need to sign like 4 more players and have no cap room to do it. 

The Canucks would have 12F, 6D, and 2G on the roster with close to $2M to round out the roster with bottom of the roster guys (ideally rookies from our prospect pool).

You can see the numbers and lineup here in my thread:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The Canucks would have 12F, 6D, and 2G on the roster with close to $2M to round out the roster with bottom of the roster guys (ideally rookies from our prospect pool).

You can see the numbers and lineup here in my thread:

I actually just saw that thread and commented there before I saw your reply haha

• Cheers 1

On 5/16/2024 at 10:48 AM, Coconuts said:

I think Joshua ultimately walks, I don't think we'll be able to afford him. I'm fine with that though, I'm confident management could find someone else to work with Garland. I'd have zero issues seeing him get a big bag via UFA. 

I think Hronek is retained, moving him means you have to try and replace him and there's no guarantee we'd be able to do so via UFA. 

I expect Mikheyev will be here next season. We've already got the OEL penalty to navigate, I don't see management wanting to buy him out. I don't think moving him would be cheap either, he's making almost 5M and he's shown little in the form of production. His trade value is likely negative right now, I reckon the Canucks just hope he can bounce back after a healthy summer of training. 

I think Lafferty is allowed to walk, he's replaceable. 

I think Lindholm hits UFA and we try to use his cap hit to add on the wing. I understand that folks like having him at center but I just don't see a three headed combo of Miller, Pettersson, and Lindholm being a thing down the middle long-term. Looking at the lineup as is, we're missing a top six winger or two. 

I could see Blueger staying. 

Myers coming back on a short-term deal wouldn't surprise me at all.

I don't think we bring Cole back.

I think Zadorov stays, but it'll be at the cost of another player folks would have preferred to have retained. 

The more i think about it the more i think youre right about Lindholm, but that would hurt so bad

• Huggy Bear 1

35 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I do work with numbers as my profession, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with finding the channels to be hired as a capologist lol

PS - updated my signature for today haha

Your take on Hronek is solid. You are a great Hronekologist! 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

It's worth noting Mikheyev's buyout is very reasonable, only 1.15M cap hit 1st, 3rd, and 4th year. on the 2nd year its 2.15 mil.

I don't think Joshua is going to replicate his season, his shooting % is off the charts. He won't be worth the contract he would likely be signed to. With Joshua gone and Mikheyev being bought out, you likely can afford Zadorov, Lindholm, and Hronek. If not, trade Hronek and sign Hakanpaa/Tanev/Pesce. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

It's worth noting Mikheyev's buyout is very reasonable, only 1.15M cap hit 1st, 3rd, and 4th year. on the 2nd year its 2.15 mil.

I don't think Joshua is going to replicate his season, his shooting % is off the charts. He won't be worth the contract he would likely be signed to. With Joshua gone and Mikheyev being bought out, you likely can afford Zadorov, Lindholm, and Hronek. If not, trade Hronek and sign Hakanpaa/Tanev/Pesce. 

I say move on from Hronek if his asking price is more than 7M. 

I think Joshua I wouldn’t try to let go.

Posted (edited)

Zadarov asked for a 5x5M which Calgary rejected, I'm hoping he keeps within that. Zadarov of course is a must keep

Elias Lindholm was projected when he was a flame to be at $8.7M x 8 years, I don't want him to walk if possible. Wonder if we can make it work. @HKSR what does your latest spreadsheet say? It's hard to imagine Lindholm settling less than 8M for me especially with the playoff run. What's the max we can afford to pay Joshua in your estimation?

Edit: quite timely, i see the link!

Edited by DSVII
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I've butted heads with a lot of folks here on Benning, but I'll admit, the Hughes contract bridge is a fine piece of work and how it overlaps with both of OEL's max dead cap years, that may be our saving grace in the next two years.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I've butted heads with a lot of folks here on Benning, but I'll admit, the Hughes contract bridge is a fine piece of work and how it overlaps with both of OEL's max dead cap years, that may be our saving grace in the next two years.  

I'd rather he didn't waste our cap space so we could've signed both him and Petey for 7-8 years for 8/9 mil. Also he could've just not traded for that boat anchor OEL. 

Edited by AK-19
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, DSVII said:

One of those people you butted heads with likely was me. The thing is: Benning made plenty of mistakes to deserve being fired - and I'm clear about that. There's no holding punches about that. However, it sucks that the narratives ABOUT Benning have been focused solely on the negatives while the positives that he did do are continually downplayed.

Benning shouldn't have extended Green. It seems one of the many weaknesses of Benning's regime was the inability to assess staff members, with Green being one of those. It's a bit ironic considering Benning's scouting pedigree. Maybe this speaks to Benning being a poor manager in general, which is different than his familiar job of scouting.

I recently watched TSN talk about Green's hiring with the Sens and it's baffling to me that they (along with some people in this fanbase) making excuses about Green not having the best tools to work with under Benning. This is a totally untrue narrative as Green, year after year, had requested players that he had worked with. Tocchet has done the same thing, but we see radical differences with Green's coaching and Tocchet's, we CLEARLY see the elevation in the improvements.

I think we can both agree that the Canucks are much better off seeing Benning in the rear view mirror, but it's also a good thing that Benning did SOME good things (also an equal amount of bad things in the process) that allowed the Canucks to flourish.

We'll see what Green does with his new opportunity in Ottawa, but this is a coach that has seen the likes of: Pettersson, Boeser, Demko, Hoglander, Quinn Hughes, Hischier, Jack and Luke Hughes, and soon Brady Tkachuk.

How many more star players on their roster will it take for any of Green's teams to get past mediocrity? How I see it: Canucks were hampered by both Benning and Green (Benning's hiring). Benning would make great moves and then shoot himself in the foot in the process.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

I'd rather he didn't waste our cap space so we could've signed both him and Petey for 7-8 years for 8/9 mil. Also he could've just not traded for that boat anchor OEL. 

There was zero indication that Petey would've signed for that little. Pettersson was absolutely sky-high in confidence and so was his production.

On 5/15/2024 at 10:20 PM, PureQuickness said:

So I would like to see what people's thoughts are on this. It might be early, but I'm considering the salary cap and other factors, which I am not fully versed with for both items.

Previously, I was fine with letting Lindholm go because he SUCKED in the season (likely due to injury and other factors), but is currently a beast in the playoffs. Now I see the value that everyone else was saying about this. I think we SHOULD keep Lindholm.

Joshua - keep

Hronek - not sure. If we trade for someone with a better cap hit, we could shed some salary space. I don't REALLY think he's worth 8M or whatever he's asking for. Worst case is that we get a 1st rounder pick back.

Mikheyev - was a fan, but at 5M and zero production, it really feels like he was a Loui Eriksson-esque signing, destined for a buyout.

Lafferty - a ghost. Release.

Blueger - keep

Myers - keep for ~3-4  million on a short term contract.

Ian Cole - release.

Big Z - re-sign!!!

I think based on the above moves, we should have enough money to retain most of the roster while upgrading some weaker spots. I think Woo should come in to replace a player like Cole, for example.

I’d take a run at Tanev if he will do a 2 year deal

• Cheers 1

Our window is now, give these guys more term with a lower cap. 

I hate to say it because both goalies have been incredible but I bet 3/4 of the NHL will take some cap for Silovs and 3/4 of the league will pay a ransom for Demko. Trading Demko shouldn’t be an option, but there are some tough decisions to be made if we don’t want to take a step back. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 11:31 AM, HKSR said:

We need to re-sign Hronek unless he asks for the moon and won't sign a reasonable deal.  Losing him leaves a massive hole in our top pair that we've been searching for for years.  There is absolutely ZERO guarantees that we can sign a UFA or even trade for a replacement.  ZERO guarantee.  We just hope that we would be able to, and if not, we'll be hunting for a top pair RHD for several years to come... AGAIN.

Joshua is a must keep.

Zadorov is clearly a must keep.

Lindholm is the same as Hronek.  If he is willing to sign a reasonable deal, then absolutely we keep him.

Mikheyev needs to be traded.  At his cap hit, we would need a 50pt season out of him.  He's never come close to that in his career (albeit he has been on pace for it in years past).

Would love to see Blueger back, but not at a higher cap hit.  Same goes with Myers.

Anyways, our priorities would be to re-sign Hronek, Joshua, and Zadorov.  Lindholm would be 4th on the list for me. 

Off season: 

Zadarov is the priority one.    Lindholm almost as high.  Then Joshua, then Hronek (we still have time there).  Zadarov has taken shifts with QHs.    And he's been our best D when it matters the most.   Lindholm, because i'm pretty sure,  Geuntzal will command a similar AVV, he could be EPs pair.   One of those guys anyways.   And EP needs a pair, next season.   Hronek is important, sure he's had a less the spectacular playoffs so far,  you still need guys who can get you to the playoffs, and he played a big part in that, especially the first half of the season.    I'm not a fan of this 8 x 8 talk.    Edler never got a deal like that (term) and sorry, don't think Hronek is better than Eagle was.   It's a big risk modest reward.    He's no Devon Toews.   Not yet anyways.   To me Hronek doesn't need to get done this summer.   If talks are far apart, then qualify him.    And see how it goes during the regular season.   A term deal to me anyways, should be in the high 6's, at most 7.    Know he's a unicorn (RHD), that's factored in.   As Miss Korea pointed out in that thread, he's no Devon Toews.    LE 2.0 on the D it's a scary proposition.   Look at how many of those great Canucks from the early 2010's were on 5ish year deals, how much we lamented over their term's and clauses.    To me 8 year deals are for stars.   

Joshua.   Without him our forward group has little teeth.   I'd sign him.   A 3 year deal is fair, somewhere in the 3.5-4 range.   

Bluegar a lateral deal is fine. 

My order is big Z,  Lindholm (we are going to end up paying in the 7's to find a UFA top six winger anyways, or another Mikheyev type middle six free agent who could go ok or could suck, time to bite the bullet) ... Lekkermaki is the gravy, if he works out, can't expect it too though, not right off the hop.   Same as Linus Karlsson, look at Podz' career arc.    

Myers likely re-signs at around 4. 

Cole is gone. 

Juuslen replaces someone.   And his story is just starting.   

Edit:  Expect to see Ilya Mikheyev off the team.   Likely costs us one of Hogs, Podz, Karlsson and a pick.   That's tough.   Have to find the cap space somewhere.   They moved one time almost 40 goal scorer Kuzmennko, moved Bevuellier,  Horvat ... shown a willingness to create cap space.    

Also agree, can't just slot in any free agent.   Often that goes to the highest bidder.   Loyalty and how things are going with the team they are often traded too if they were on a bad team before, factors in too.    We have time with Hronek.    For sure we can't slot Tanev in as a patch job.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 10:37 PM, HarbularyBattery said:

joshua- let go. cant afford him, and Garland is the key on that line. 

lindholm- keep. 7m a year i hope. 

hronek- 6.5m or trade. not more than that. 

mikheyev- buyout. thankfully not a bad contract to buyout.

lafferty- release

blueger- release (Aman can do his job)

myers- 3m

ian cole- release

Z - re-sign

desmith- release

bains needs a roster spot, he'll take laffertys. 

Raty has a good chance of making the team too based on his season in the AHL

juulsen takes cole's spot

all that said, that alone probably uses up any cap that we have, without really any room to make further improvements. so we'll see what kind of roster magic jr/pa can work. 

Joshua may have priced himself out of Van, i agree.  That said, he's got great chemistry with garland 

Lindy, I'd love to keep, but the playoffs have been a boon for him.  He'll be tough to keep around.

Hronek - I dont think he's worth $6.5m anymore.  It's a tough situation with arbitration rights etc.

Mik - no more buyouts.  Trade him and if not, try and re-invent him 

I like Laffy, he's a good 4th liner, but not irreplaceable.

Blueger - I'd keep around

Cole - I wouldn't be surprised if he hung them up.

Zad - agreed

Desmith is not signed for next year and it's pretty clear how vans goaltending situation is going to go.

Myers - after this run, you don't get him.at $3m, probably closer to $4m

And they still, absolutely, have to find someone to play with Petey.  Additionally, both Boes and Hogz are due for new contracts after next season 

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1

Lindholm keep 7.5 max

Zadorov will get 6 on the open market.

We would be in good shape if we got him for 5.5

Hronek 6 mil max or trade

Myers 3.5.  He'd get more on open market but let's hope for a discount especially if hroneks gone

Blueger is better than Aman. Keeper

Mik is still a good player for the fourth line. Just overpaid.  Don't compare him to LE.   Will have to retain 2 mil to make him tradable and still won't get anything back.  We need that cap. 

1 minute ago, chris12345 said:

Tucker Poolman still "here" next year I forgot about him.

It's too bad about TP, his style would have fit well with this system