Offseason Planning - regardless of outcome

19 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Interestingly, the only year that Petey's new contract doesn't have a NMC is his first year of it. 

I wonder what management was thinking about that.

They were thinking they wanted a legal contract that tied to the CBA.

28 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Interestingly, the only year that Petey's new contract doesn't have a NMC is his first year of it. 

I wonder what management was thinking about that.

Can’t have NTC/NMC for a RFA year (which is that first year of his new contract).

• Thanks 1

I think Lindholm and Zadorov should be the highest priority extensions. Joshua, while I love him, the rumoured AAV for him is 3m, and I don't think he is worth that. Lafferty and DeSmith will both walk. Blueger I'm fine to bring back on a similar contract. Hronek is the tough one. Which Hronek is the real one: the first half of the year almost an all-star Hronek, or the second half of the year barely got 10 points Hronek.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Joshua - At a reasonable rate keep

Hronek - could care less, was a no show in the last half of the season

Mikheyev - BYE, any way possible, get him out.

Lafferty - Faded in the second half, BYE

Blueger - Don't care defensive centers are a dime a dozen.

Myers - Low contract and keep him.  He did good this season, the other seasons were crap, do not reward him for one ok season.

Ian Cole - BYE.   how many goals went off of him

Big Z - Get him a good number and keep him.

Get rid of Juulsen, I wouldn't even mind trading Hoglander and Podkolzin.  I think we have seen their ceilings and not much more to be expected from them.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, The Brock Star said:

I think Lindholm and Zadorov should be the highest priority extensions. Joshua, while I love him, the rumoured AAV for him is 3m, and I don't think he is worth that. Lafferty and DeSmith will both walk. Blueger I'm fine to bring back on a similar contract. Hronek is the tough one. Which Hronek is the real one: the first half of the year almost an all-star Hronek, or the second half of the year barely got 10 points Hronek.

$3M for Joshua is not bad for a 30pt player that hits and fights.  We need his toughness.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Brock Star said:

Hronek is an RFA in a rare position and is not a part of the discussion with the UFA's. 

1 minute ago, BPA said:

$3M for Joshua is not bad for a 30pt player that hits and fights.  We need his toughness.

Joshua also had an 18.8 shooting % this year, That number is not sustainable. He's due for regression.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Mikheyev is getting bought out. 1.55M over 4 years ain’t shit. 

Bullshit. Bouvillier wasn't negative worth at 4 million+. He can be traded for s struggling defensman or for a 7th or something. He wont be bought out

Edited by Blue

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Bullshit. Bouvillier wasn't negative worth at 4 million+. He can be traded for s struggling defensman or for a 7th or something. He wont be bought out

It’s the cleanest departure, we will need to have assets going the other way like Dickinson. Bouvillier was a UFA that Chicago planned to flip anyway. A struggling defenseman will have a cap hit. 

59 minutes ago, The Brock Star said:

I'd want to bring Blueger back. He's a great addition to the PK, and he was a great fit between Garland and Joshua, before Lindholm was slotted in there. 

I agree that Lafferty and DeSmith won't be coming back. 

Hronek didn't look good in these playoffs. He's had some weird blunders, and bobbled the puck a lot. I'm weary of resigning him to the rumoured ask of 8M. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I'd want to bring Blueger back. He's a great addition to the PK, and he was a great fit between Garland and Joshua, before Lindholm was slotted in there. 

I agree that Lafferty and DeSmith won't be coming back. 

Hronek didn't look good in these playoffs. He's had some weird blunders, and bobbled the puck a lot. I'm weary of resigning him to the rumoured ask of 8M. 

I could honestly see the team trading Hronek and signing Tanev as a placeholder until Willander is ready.

• Cheers 1

As much as Lindy was great for us this post season, reports are that he wants 8+ mill. That's a lot to be paying for a 3rd center, when we're already going to be spending close to 20m on Miller & Petey. Arguably, a scoring winger for Petey is a much bigger need right now to be spending that cap space on. 

I'd also priorize Zadarov over Joshua. As much as I appreciate what Joshua did on our 3rd line, I think what Z brings is much harder to find and more valuable to our team given how the rest of defense is structured.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Brock Star said:

Is Lindy worth 8-9m+ per (the amount he's rumored to be asking for) as a third center on this team? We're already going to paying almost 20m on Miller & Petey, and arguably that cap space could be better spent on a top 6 winger to pair with Petey.

Think Canucks need a bonafide winger for EP (if that’s not Lindholm).  EP was basically invisible these playoffs.  We need him to be better.  Lindholm as a 3rd C is a luxury that unfortunately Canucks can’t afford (cuz OEL buyout).

PA & JR have their work cut out for them this offseason.  They made tremendous strides already.  Now to figure out what other pieces are needed to take that next step.  Should be a fun summer.

Posted (edited)

Priorities in order:

Lindholm - top six centers are not often available in FA and cost a lot at the deadline.

Zadorov - big and snarl which the team has always needed

Myers - ditto plus he's right handed 

Joshua - if they have space his skillset is hard to find

Hronek - don't think he'll fit

Gone:

Blueger - (if we sign Lindy) Suter and Aman can play 4C

Cole - Juulsen in; he's younger, hits harder, is a better skater, and when playing every game was something of a revelation. His first pass ability is underrated.

Lafferty - Pods is better

Mik - work a trade for cap space.

Friedman - Woo, Johansson, and McWard for D6 - D7

A chance to make the team in camp (I think 3 will make it to save money):

Pods - he will make the team this fall

Karlsson - didn't hurt himself in the playoffs and has more upside than Baines

Baines - smart, but undersized and might need one more year of seasoning

Raty - decent size, got better as the season progressed, can play both center and the wing, all depends on his skating

Woo - until his injury right before the playoffs, he had revived his career and his prospect status. Good skater and offensive upside, he ran the PP when Wolanen got hurt. He might be a replacement for Hronek.

McWard - 

Johansson - had a great year in Abby, don't know why he doesn't get more press. Could be depth or a callup.

Tocc loves the young guys and has the ideal staff to bring young talent along and help them approach their potential. 

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan
  • Cheers 1

Priorities for the off season, for me, as far as bringing guys back

Zadorov

Myers

Lindy

Blueger

I think all 4 guys were key contributes to the team, both in the reg season and especially the playoffs.  

Zad is going to get a raise, but he reportedly loves it in Van, so hopefully his number starts with a 5.  

Myers probably doesn't want to uproot his family at this point for $500k or so....... hopefully his number starts with a 3

Lindy is a tough one because he'll be a coveted UFA as a RHC.  However, I'm betting he wants to win at this point and hopefully he sees Van as his best chance.  There'll be a few contenders who can afford him, but not many.  UFA's who chase big money usually get it from lower tiered teams.  I hope they could get him in a long term deal for something starting with a 7.

Blueger shouldn't be a tough one to settle.  He's had a good year, and was instrumental as C depth in the playoffs.  Still, players get paid for numbers.  Something in the lower 1 millions is a good deal for both clubs.

DJ is likely going to price himself out of Van and I'm ok with that.  He's great, but he was largely a byproduct of garland having a great season.  It also frees up Garland, who needs to be in the top 6, likely with Petey.  The x factor is where to put Lindholm, if they bring him back.........does Petey move to the wing then?

Obviously a decision has to be made on Hronek, but I hope they low ball him (in his eyes) with a short term, moderate raise.  If he rejects it, move him at the draft.  

• Upvote 1

I wonder if Hronek would take a 2 year “show me” bridge deal around 5.5ish. I don’t think he’s worth above 6 given the past 3 months and I don’t want to commit long term to him, given the past 3 months. His early numbers are inflated by playing with Hughes. He’s a heck of a skater and still definitely a good dman but I think we were overvaluing him for a while. 

If there is a way to get Tanev back on a team Friendly deal, that would thrill me. I miss that guy. Keep Myers and replace Hronek with Tanev if Hronek won’t take a bridge deal like that is a good option. Hronek will definitely have trade value if needed. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksFan26 said:

I wonder if Hronek would take a 2 year “show me” bridge deal around 5.5ish. I don’t think he’s worth above 6 given the past 3 months and I don’t want to commit long term to him, given the past 3 months. His early numbers are inflated by playing with Hughes. He’s a heck of a skater and still definitely a good dman but I think we were overvaluing him for a while. 

If there is a way to get Tanev back on a team Friendly deal, that would thrill me. I miss that guy. Keep Myers and replace Hronek with Tanev if Hronek won’t take a bridge deal like that is a good option. Hronek will definitely have trade value if needed. 

That's exactly what Id offer him and iyd be a line in the sand, for me.  He had a good first half, that's it......hrs got a lot to prove still.

I like Hronek and prefer they keep him, but it has to make sense

• Like 1

Shopping Hronek is probably on the table, but it will need to be a 1st and roster player or I think that they go to arbitration.

A Mik buyout has to be on the table with what @LaBamba just posted.

I'd let Cole walk and not overpay for DJ.

Silovs won the backup job, and he'll be cheap.

Really need to fit Lindy back in somehow, maybe letting dj walk, replace Cole with Juulson, Silovs at 1 mil, and a Mik buyout? 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

That's better than I thought it would be. Makes it a legitimate option.

Doubtful.

Canucks already have OEL buyout on the books.  Next season is about $2.3M followed by 2 yrs at $4.75M and $2.1M So that’s roughly $3.8M, $6.25M, $6.25M, $3.6M dead cap space for the next 4yrs.

Edited by BPA