Offseason Planning - regardless of outcome

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Doubtful.

Canucks already have OEL buyout on the books.  Next season is about $2.5M followed by 2 yrs at $4M.  So that’s roughly $4M, $5.5M, $5.5M dead cap space for the next 3 yrs.

Which is what they have with Mik anyway, and they get to add talent. I could see it if it's the difference to keep someone like Z or not.

It's really sad to see, but Mik is toast. Unless he agrees to go to robidas island I think a buyout is possible.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Which is what they have with Mik anyway, and they get to add talent. I could see it if it's the difference to keep someone like Z or not.

It's really sad to see, but Mik is toast. Unless he agrees to go to robidas island I think a buyout is possible.

I don't think they'll buy Mik out, and it's been reported that the team is still pretty high on what he brings to the team and if they don't deal him, they're fine bringing him back.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Revised my post with more accurate numbers.  And looks worse than previously estimated.  Would rather they trade a 1st to get rid of Mik contract than be deeper in cap hell.

Just now, stawns said:

I don't think they'll buy Mik out, and it's been reported that the team is still pretty high on what he brings to the team and if they don't deal him, they're fine bringing him back.

High on what? His elite speed is gone, along with his hands.

I do think they will try to move him but if prices to do it are ridiculous I can see the buyout.

Would you want to lose Lindy eg over no buyout? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Revised my post with more accurate numbers.  And looks worse than previously estimated.  Would rather they trade a 1st to get rid of Mik contract than be deeper in cap hell.

I can't see a first for a cap dump. 

We might also be handcuffed by miks NTC list.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I can't see a first for a cap dump. 

We might also be handcuffed by miks NTC list.

Meant 1st + Mik for the ever popular Mr Future Considerations.  Not worried about the NTC.

Posted (edited)

I think they move Milky with sweetener with no retention to Chicago or Ana 

24.778 + 4.75 

= 29.6 

Lindy 6.5

hrinek 6.5

zads 5

tanev 4.5

Cole 1.5 x 2 yrs

bluegger 1x 4 yrs 

Joshua 3.75

Silovs 1.5

Edited by canucks curse

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

High on what? His elite speed is gone, along with his hands.

I do think they will try to move him but if prices to do it are ridiculous I can see the buyout.

Would you want to lose Lindy eg over no buyout? 

Just regurgitating what was reported by Frank Seravelli or EF........can't remember.  That person said the Canucks still very much believed in IM and that a buyout was not on the table......and though they'd be open to moving, they wouldn't add a sweetener

• Thanks 1

If the Canucks can re-sign Lindholm and Joshua, maybe go into next season with the top two lines as follows (fingers crossed Brock doesn't miss too much time).

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Lindholm-Garland

Hoglander-Suter together on the 3rd line and find a RW via free agency or trade to play with them.

For the 4th line I'd be okay with the Canucks bringing Blueger back to play center. Podz could be the RW. Canucks would need to find a LW with decent size and speed via free agency or trade. Preferably somebody with some snarl that brings lots of energy. I'd also be okay with the Canucks letting Blueger go and using Aman as the 4th line center if that means using the money saved to help keep some of our UFA players.

Canucks need to move Mikheyev out. He's still an NHL player with his defensive play, but the confidence in his offensive game is so low right now that it's dragging down whatever line he's on.

On defense the Canucks should prioritize Zadorov. I'm hoping that he's willing to take a bit of a discount to stay here, because I'm sure there are gonna be a number of teams willing to overpay for what he brings.

Re-sign Myers for 2 years in the 3 to 3.5 million range. I think there will be teams that offer him more, but I think he really likes it in Vancouver and might be willing to take less to stay.

Re-sign Hronek for something in the 6.5 to 6.8 million range. If he is wanting too much then trade him for picks/prospects and use those assets to make other moves to improve the team. I'm convinced that anyone playing regularly with Hughes over a full season for the past 3 seasons will have had their even strength point production boosted by 8 to 12 pts.

Ian Cole I would be willing to bring back if he takes a pay cut and has his ice time reduced to about 15 to 17 minutes per game instead of the 18:41 he averaged this season.

I'm okay with Mark Friedman as a #8 defenseman. Good wheels and moves the puck well. He should come cheap again.

Let DeSmith go and use Silovs as the backup. Play Demko around 50 games to keep him fresh and Silovs around 32 games so that he gets enough work to continue to improve.

Just now, stawns said:

Just regurgitating what was reported by Frank Seravelli or EF........can't remember.  That person said the Canucks still very much believed in IM and that a buyout was not on the table......and though they'd be open to moving, they wouldn't add a sweetener

Ah. Sounds more like good media posturing by JR/PA.

If they could move Mik for a lesser sweetener (2nd or b prospect) they take that and run.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

If they can move Mik without adding, then that would be ideal.  Fingers crossed.

Just now, BPA said:

If they can move Mik without adding, then that would be ideal.  Fingers crossed.

I think that's the only way they do, if that report is accurate 

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Ah. Sounds more like good media posturing by JR/PA.

If they could move Mik for a lesser sweetener (2nd or b prospect) they take that and run.

Yah, it's not going to get any better with Mik. He's a streaky player and that makes it hard for the coach, for everyone.

Skates well, shoots, ok. So damned unpredictable. That's hard to work with.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stawns said:

Priorities for the off season, for me, as far as bringing guys back

Zadorov

Myers

Lindy

Blueger

I think all 4 guys were key contributes to the team, both in the reg season and especially the playoffs.  

Zad is going to get a raise, but he reportedly loves it in Van, so hopefully his number starts with a 5.  

Myers probably doesn't want to uproot his family at this point for $500k or so....... hopefully his number starts with a 3

Lindy is a tough one because he'll be a coveted UFA as a RHC.  However, I'm betting he wants to win at this point and hopefully he sees Van as his best chance.  There'll be a few contenders who can afford him, but not many.  UFA's who chase big money usually get it from lower tiered teams.  I hope they could get him in a long term deal for something starting with a 7.

Blueger shouldn't be a tough one to settle.  He's had a good year, and was instrumental as C depth in the playoffs.  Still, players get paid for numbers.  Something in the lower 1 millions is a good deal for both clubs.

DJ is likely going to price himself out of Van and I'm ok with that.  He's great, but he was largely a byproduct of garland having a great season.  It also frees up Garland, who needs to be in the top 6, likely with Petey.  The x factor is where to put Lindholm, if they bring him back.........does Petey move to the wing then?

Obviously a decision has to be made on Hronek, but I hope they low ball him (in his eyes) with a short term, moderate raise.  If he rejects it, move him at the draft.  

I agree that all four performed well for us this post season. But Lindy is rumored to want 8-9m (an amount that Boston could fork out on the open market). Even closer to 7m seems like a lot to be spending on our 3rd center, when we're already committed to almost 20m on Petey & Miller. I worry that devoting that much cap space to a third center creates (or prevents us from filling) other more pressing holes in the lineup... 

Edited by syntheticity
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Yah, it's not going to get any better with Mik. He's a streaky player and that makes it hard for the coach, for everyone.

Skates well, shoots, ok. So damned unpredictable. That's hard to work with.

he hasn't been the same since that Cowtown plug injured Mik's knee in preseason. I really hate how we run preseasons, we get too much time vs division rivals and Cowtown always puts plugs out to go head/knee hunting on us. 

• Like 1

Scary thing with Zadorov is his agent could ask for the moon after his run with the canucks.  Darnell Nurse is the same age and makes 9.25 a year.  Let that sink in

If we don't end up keeping Lindholm and Joshua, I wanna see if we can make a play of Nikolaj Ehlers to be on Petey's wing. We really need that extra spark in the top 6 with Petey this playoffs. Could be what we need on the PP too.

10 hours ago, BPA said:

$3M for Joshua is not bad for a 30pt player that hits and fights.  We need his toughness.

Agreed. If it's a choice btw DK at 3 or Lindy at 8-9 (the amount he's rumored to want), then choosing DK allows us to fill more other holes in the lineup..

*And I'm a huge Lindy fan for what he brought to our lineup.

Posted (edited)

PA will need to do everything he can to convince Tanev to come home, and pray he stay's healthy. Playing beside Hughes on the top pairing with Hronek anchoring the 2nd pairing. My guess is Myers money will be used on Tanev so he'll likely be gone, especially since we need to re-sign Zadorov and Hronek. If we don't re-sign Zadorov, I'd like to see us target Brendan Dhillon.

Edited by Integra250
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

he hasn't been the same since that Cowtown plug injured Mik's knee in preseason. I really hate how we run preseasons, we get too much time vs division rivals and Cowtown always puts plugs out to go head/knee hunting on us. 

Yah; Preseasons are necessary but simply playing the three teams closest to us, is bad business to me. Hard to fathom things are so cheap. What's wrong with a little

Canucks, Leafs or whoever ? Be good for business all round.

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

I agree that all four performed well for us this post season. But Lindy is rumored to want 8-9m. Even closer to 7m seems like a lot to be spending on our 3rd center, when we're already committed to almost 20m on Petey & Miller. I worry that devoting that much cap space to a third center creates (or prevents us from filling) other more pressing holes in the lineup... 

I don't think he'll get that from a playoff team and probably not a contender, so he has to weigh that in his decision.

I think there'd be a good chance Petey moves to the wing in that case

Petey Lindy Garland

20 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Somehow acquire a first round pick

Have Ryan Kesler announce the pick at the draft

Draft baby Iginla

he’s slated to go around 9, no way the flames don’t move whatever it takes to have little iggy play for them. We can’t afford the assets needed to move into the top 10