Offseason Planning - regardless of outcome

My off-season to-do list wish list includes getting a strength coach, a skating coach and a sport psychologist for Pettersson.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Agreed. If it's a choice btw DK at 3 or Lindy at 8-9 (the amount he's rumored to want), then choosing DK allows us to fill more other holes in the lineup..

*And I'm a huge Lindy fan for what he brought to our lineup.

DJ will likely get in the 3's, but that's overpayment imo and it was Garland that made that line.  Move Garland into the top 6 and replace DJ with another guy they can develop into that kind of player for much cheaper, imo

• Like 1

Id dump pete if the right trade comes around for a bigger skilled forward. 

You get the return of pete and ur able to keep lindy as well.

Imagine brady tk on this team, good for Hughes too

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Ah. Sounds more like good media posturing by JR/PA.

If they could move Mik for a lesser sweetener (2nd or b prospect) they take that and run.

I dont think so........I don't like Seravelli, bug he's pretty good on his info and EF is usually reliable.  I think they like what Mik brings to the table and think he will come back with an off season where he can train properly.  I think they believe other teams think that too and with only two years left on his deal, he's a reasonable gamble for a lot of teams........Canucks included.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Id dump pete if the right trade comes around for a bigger skilled forward. 

You get the return of pete and ur able to keep lindy as well.

Imagine brady tk on this team, good for Hughes too

That will an impossible deal to make, imo.  He's my favourite Canuck, but I thought they should have dealt him before signing him to a new deal as I don't want any contract like that for one player.

But, it's too late now, imo

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think he'll get that from a playoff team and probably not a contender, so he has to weigh that in his decision.

I think there'd be a good chance Petey moves to the wing in that case

Petey Lindy Garland

Boston has the cap space and pursued him hard at the deadline...

2 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Boston has the cap space and pursued him hard at the deadline...

They'll definitely be in the mix, but the Canucks have the advantage of the next month and a half to make their case

• Like 1

When we get the season ending press conference, we'll get the real story on who is injured and heading for surgery.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Hronek and Pettersson need surgery for something.

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think he'll get that from a playoff team and probably not a contender, so he has to weigh that in his decision.

I think there'd be a good chance Petey moves to the wing in that case

Petey Lindy Garland

centers are more expensive than equally productive wingers, which is why im leaning towards lindy leaving and spending the cap on a winger for petey. petey is also a natural center, and we'll be paying him like one next year, so we lose a lot by putting him on the wing 

im a big fan of anthony duclair. extremely skilled, but wont drive play. perfect complimentary scorer, and he wont be getting more than 4 million. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

I dont think so........I don't like Seravelli, bug he's pretty good on his info and EF is usually reliable.  I think they like what Mik brings to the table and think he will come back with an off season where he can train properly.  I think they believe other teams think that too and with only two years left on his deal, he's a reasonable gamble for a lot of teams........Canucks included.

maybe a rebuilding team will take him for free? dunno, I can't see it without some kind of additional sweetener. 

41 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

centers are more expensive than equally productive wingers, which is why im leaning towards lindy leaving and spending the cap on a winger for petey. petey is also a natural center, and we'll be paying him like one next year, so we lose a lot by putting him on the wing 

im a big fan of anthony duclair. extremely skilled, but wont drive play. perfect complimentary scorer, and he wont be getting more than 4 million. 

I'm not sure they have to spend big on a winger when they've got Garland

Hogz Petey Garland

I think they'll do everything they can to bring Lindholm back though

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

maybe a rebuilding team will take him for free? dunno, I can't see it without some kind of additional sweetener. 

Again, I'm just saying what FS or EF said, but the indication was the Canucks are still high on him and also think other teams are too.  He didn't think the Canucks would get much back, but certainly didn't think the team felt they'd have to add to move him.

It's easy to forget he wasn't able to really train last off season 

55 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Hronek can go, not good defensively not great offensively.

why waste 6-7 mil on that. 

sign tanev until willander is ready

I don't see Tanev leaving Dallas.  That seems like a great fit

• Sad 1

Just now, stawns said:

Again, I'm just saying what FS or EF said, but the indication was the Canucks are still high on him and also think other teams are too.  He didn't think the Canucks would get much back, but certainly didn't think the team felt they'd have to add to move him.

It's easy to forget he wasn't able to really train last off season 

I get it, I just don't agree with frank. But with my opinion and $3 you can ride the bus 😁

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure they have to spend big on a winger when they've got Garland

Hogz Petey Garland

I think they'll do everything they can to bring Lindholm back though

that line would be possession beasts but i do think petey leans more playmaker, and garland is pure playmaker. both love to have the puck on their sticks, i wonder if we're best off separating them. Garland can absolutely drive a line, and he had great chemistry with Bleuger, maybe we can recreate the joshua/bleuger/garland magic as podkolzin/bleuger/garland?

Henrique will probably be discounted due to age and injury, but hes still pretty fast and a great finisher. sub 4m id take a crack at him and try him on the miller line or beside petey. 

ive always wanted us to get duclair as well, maybe this will finally be the year. great speed and unlike mikheyev has consistently been able to find the back of the net too

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I get it, I just don't agree with frank. But with my opinion and $3 you can ride the bus 😁

I'm perfectly fine with Mik back..........there's a lot more to the game than offense (especially under RT) and there's no issue with him there.

If he can find some offense at the beginning, he'll have more value.......as an asset, but to the team as well 

17 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

that line would be possession beasts but i do think petey leans more playmaker, and garland is pure playmaker. both love to have the puck on their sticks, i wonder if we're best off separating them. Garland can absolutely drive a line, and he had great chemistry with Bleuger, maybe we can recreate the joshua/bleuger/garland magic as podkolzin/bleuger/garland?

Henrique will probably be discounted due to age and injury, but hes still pretty fast and a great finisher. sub 4m id take a crack at him and try him on the miller line or beside petey. 

ive always wanted us to get duclair as well, maybe this will finally be the year. great speed and unlike mikheyev has consistently been able to find the back of the net too

I think Petey needs a forechecker and retriever and I think Hogz and Garland do that very well.  Petey does drive the play, but maybe simplifying his game for awhile is a good thing 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think Petey needs a forechecker and retriever and I think Hogz and Garland do that very well.  Petey does drive the play, but maybe simplifying his game for awhile is a good thing 

i completely agree, the forechecker/retriever on each line is key

im very disappointed in mikheyev though. 60 games without a goal is just.. something else. especially considering who he's had the privilege to play beside. 

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm perfectly fine with Mik back..........there's a lot more to the game than offense (especially under RT) and there's no issue with him there.

If he can find some offense at the beginning, he'll have more value.......as an asset, but to the team as well 

its cap allocation, he's just too much money for only defence. 

Just now, stawns said:

Well, Tocchet puts defense above all else

even if true, he's still too much cap for what he brings now. I'm not dismissing Mik's effort or knowledge, but if he can't sustain that elite speed he once had, he's pretty average otherwise. 

Posted (edited)

Silovs is an RFA this summer. Anybody worried that a goalie needy team might try to poach him for say 2.1 mill a year on a multi year deal? Compensation is only a 3rd round pick. Silovs might turn down a little money now to continue his process with Ian Clark. Still something to think about though.

Edited by flickyoursedin

Dump Mikheyev, easy no brainer.

Of all free agents, I’d prioritize Lindholm first. If you can get him around $6.5-7M, that would be perfect. Use JT Miller as a bench mark. If he asks for anything above $7.5M, I’d let him walk.

Zadorov if you can sign him between $4.5-5.2M ish. I would not re sign him if he asks for well north of 5M.

Joshua is tricky for me. He didn’t have a good playoffs outside of 2 games. Garland is the engine of that line and has carried Joshua exponentially in the offensive department. That said, Joshua is a high volume hitter and a big body that is pretty important on the PK. I think there will be teams who will offer him $4M+ and if that’s the case then you let him walk and hope Podkolzin can take his role next year. Most I’d offer him is $2.8M-3.5M, the more money the shorter term he gets. 

Cole I’d be fine re signing him to a $1M contract as a 6th/7th D next year.

Guys who we should not bring back:

DeSmith - Silovs is here. Nuff said.

Lafferty - outside of his hot start the guy has been utter trash. 

Blueger - can walk tbh. He was a good player for us, but we should definitely use his spot for one of our Abby guys. Easy $1.9M shaved right there.

Myers - Admittedly had a terrific season but I highly doubt he’ll return for a team friendly deal. He posted top 4 numbers and might look to cash in on his last opportunity  to get a decent sized contract from a team looking for RHD experience.