Offseason Planning - regardless of outcome

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Who's the RHC then next year?

I'm not sure. We may not have one again. I don't know who is out there if RT needs that in his line-up. Maybe Tyler Johnson or Roslovic, hmm I don't know. I would probably just sign Blueger myself. Sasson possibly lol, kind of joking though.

$7.5 mil for a third liner just seems like a good way to ruin the team before we start. It really does seem outside the realm of reasonability to myself. Maybe I'm out to lunch, but seemed like the team simply didn't have enough firepower on their top lines during the playoffs. The third line is a secondary concern in my mind at this point. We also have Suter already signed just in case. This season was always going to be incredibly hard from a cap standpoint. We're going to have to sacrifice somewhere.

Saw a few suggestions of buying out Mikheyev and I'd not want to do that.

Cap hit would be pounding down on the stake, in their chest, that OEL's cap hit already is:

TOTAL         $3,496,667 $6,916,667 $6,316,667 $3,676,667 $2,126,667 $2,126,667
Ilya Mikheyev         $1,150,000 $2,150,000 $1,550,000 $1,550,000    
Oliver Ekman-Larsson         $2,346,667 $4,766,667 $4,766,667 $2,126,667 $2,126,667 $2,126,667

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Blue said:

He is the Kyle Burroughs of forwards.

Expect he's big, and his hits actually hurt, so not really and wasn't a 7th D.     Biega was that minus the fighting... move on nothing to see there. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm not sure. We may not have one again. I don't know who is out there if RT needs that in his line-up. Maybe Tyler Johnson or Roslovic, hmm I don't know. I would probably just sign Blueger myself. Sasson possibly lol, kind of joking though.

$7.5 mil for a third liner just seems like a good way to ruin the team before we start. It really does seem outside the realm of reasonability to myself. Maybe I'm out to lunch, but seemed like the team simply didn't have enough firepower on their top lines during the playoffs. The third line is a secondary concern in my mind at this point. We also have Suter already signed just in case. This season was always going to be incredibly hard from a cap standpoint. We're going to have to sacrifice somewhere.

Easiest season from a cap point we will have for the next half a decade likely. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey is a great centre. Miller is a great centre. Both are fabulous wingers. We can keep Lindholm and play Petey or Miller at wing. And still have the option for all three as centres if needed. The Empties think Lindholm is headed to Boston but wouldn’t mind if we keep him too. 

If we actually would use Lindholm on the top 2 lines that would be different but as we already saw if RT has him on the team he drops him to 3C. These are the types of problems we had under Benning that give the coach no chance and little lineup choices. I hope this group doesn't repeat that. They never played Petey with Lindholm at all outside of the first couple games.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Again, according to frank seravelli, the Canucks don't believe that's the case and they also believe with a summer of bring able to train, he will be the player he can be

The Canucks can believe whatever they want, doesn't make it reality. lol. 

21 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I can see management wanting to bring Lindholm back because being strong down the middle is better than not. Could you imagine if we didn't have Lindholm, and Petey was absent? It would've been Miller dragging the entire team into battle. That can't happen, and that's just asking for JT to get injured. 

If we can't afford Lindholm, how will we add firepower to an already anemic offence? 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Not out to lunch at all. I think your concern is a very reasonable. And I highly doubt that 7.5 gets it done, given that he was asking for closer to 9 from Calgary -- and that was during an off year (9 goals & 32 points before the trade, compared to 42 goals and 82 points in 2022), and also before everyone in the league saw what he did this postseason.

It wasn't too long ago that we traded Horvat (similar age, great at faceoffs, defensively responsible) because we didn't want to fork out 8m for a third center. We thought it would be better to allocate that cap space on other needs.

Now the question is whether we'd prefer to spend 8-9m per to resign a right shot center, when we're already committed to almost 20m on two other centers on the team (Petey & Miller), or if we'd be better off allocating that cap space to fill other needs, such as a top 6 scoring winger to pair with Petey and to give our powerplay more options.

Edited by syntheticity
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Blue said:

Hronek is thee reason why Myers minutes were reduced to a point where he can manage a game without looking like Darnell Nurse. That is indisputable. 

And yet myers still playing the harder match up minutes.

any decent right d will do

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Petey is a great centre. Miller is a great centre. Both are fabulous wingers. We can keep Lindholm and play Petey or Miller at wing. And still have the option for all three as centres if needed. The Empties think Lindholm is headed to Boston but wouldn’t mind if we keep him too. 

But is he the offensive play driver we need to pair with Petey and help boost our power play? Is what he brings worth spending close to 9m of our cap on? 

To make things more concrete, suppose hypothetically that Guentzel makes it to free agency and that he'd sign here for around 9m. Then let's also suppose that the reports are accurate that Lindolm also wants around 9m, and that this is what it would take to resign him here. Who would you rather spend 9m per on moving forward? 

I think a big thing about going to the offseason how confident are we in some up and coming AHL guys. Silovs is clearly back. How do we view guys like McWard and Woo? On offense, are we ready for guys like Podz, Bains, Karlsson, maybe Raty? We can save money on moving on from guys like Lafferty and Blueger and possibly one or two more if we think the kids can come play. Obviously we need veterans and we definitely need to keep some guys but we definitely are going to have a lot of interesting decisions. 

I'm good to trade Hronek's rights - who knows, maybe we can get our 1st round pick back if we have an eye on a certain prospect. Myers and Zadorov stepped up more when it mattered, and we have Willander coming up soon. Juulsen/FA can fill the void in the meantime, should be serviceable enough.

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The next 3 will be quite hard. After that it all depends on the decisions we make going forward. Don't we currently only have something like 3 players signed in 3 years time?

But yeah I guess. Kind of depressing lol, but this group has given me faith. Hopefully they can improve the team again!

1 hour ago, syntheticity said:

It wasn't too long ago that we traded Horvat (similar age, great at faceoffs, defensively responsible) because we didn't want to fork out 8m for a third center. We thought it would be better to allocate that cap space on other needs.

Now the question is whether we'd prefer to spend 8-9m per to resign a right shot center, when we're already committed to almost 20m on two other centers on the team (Petey & Miller), or if we'd be better off allocating that cap space to fill other needs, such as a top 6 scoring winger to pair with Petey and to give our powerplay more options.

Yeah, I just don't see the logic. This is an extreme example but it's kind of like adding a $6 million dollar back up goalie. Like sure it would be great to have but it's simply too much money for that position. I would rather find a player to put on Petey's wing so that line can score and tilt the ice in our favor. I'm not sure why we would run back the exact same plan that didn't get the job done in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I can see management wanting to bring Lindholm back because being strong down the middle is better than not. Could you imagine if we didn't have Lindholm, and Petey was absent? It would've been Miller dragging the entire team into battle. That can't happen, and that's just asking for JT to get injured. 

If we can't afford Lindholm, how will we add firepower to an already anemic offence? 

But tell me which teams have an $8 million center playing on the third line just to backup their first two centers?

We should use that money, or what we have, to bolster our top 2 lines. I mean we're going absolutely nowhere further with Mik and Hoglander flanking Petey all next year.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well, I guess I like the versatility Lindy brings. Having him as our 3C in the playoffs helped to get us as far as we got. As Alf said we can also have him in the top 6 too.

But we also need better wingers.

Maybe it's Joshua that's the guy easier to replace on the cheap?

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Well, I guess I like the versatility Lindy brings. Having him as our 3C in the playoffs helped to get us as far as we got. As Alf said we can also have him in the top 6 too.

But we also need better wingers.

Yeah, I'm not going to tell anyone they're wrong. It's a bit of a conundrum. It's going to be an interesting summer, that's for sure. I'm sure we're in for a couple shocks along the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, I just don't see the logic. This is an extreme example but it's kind of like adding a $6 million dollar back up goalie. Like sure it would be great to have but it's simply too much money for that position. I would rather find a player to put on Petey's wing so that line can score and tilt the ice in our favor. I'm not sure why we would run back the exact same plan that didn't get the job done in the playoffs.

But tell me which teams have an $8 million center playing on the third line just to backup their first two centers?

We should use that money, or what we have, to bolster our top 2 lines. I mean we're going absolutely nowhere further with Mik and Hoglander flanking Petey all next year.

I mean, technically, Lindholm is a forward who's a centre. He doesn't have to play centre. He could play wing, or you move him up to the 2C and move Petey to the wing. There are options for moving players around, but the team needs more offensive pop. Signing Lindholm would be an improvement towards that. He plays a key position, but he should also be able to play wing right with more team chemistry. 

Höglander I feel is a border 2nd line winger. He's probably more suited to play the third line. Either that, or you leave Höglander on the second line with Petey, and the team needs to add a top six winger during free agency. 

One things for sure, though, this team is going to look quite different next season. Will they be better than this year's regular season team? I don't think so. 

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Joshua in the last few playoff games in the series against Edmonton, has been really quiet. Even with Garland's goal that kick started the comeback that fell short, was more noticeable, but Joshua felt like he was invisible. Where did he go? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

I'm good to trade Hronek's rights - who knows, maybe we can get our 1st round pick back if we have an eye on a certain prospect. Myers and Zadorov stepped up more when it mattered, and we have Willander coming up soon. Juulsen/FA can fill the void in the meantime, should be serviceable enough.

I mean, we should get more than a 1st for Hronek's rights to negotiate. Whoever's getting Hronek is getting a good, young RHD. Just that for us, he's not worth 8M, but maybe he's worth 8M to some GM and some team out there. 

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Joshua in the last few playoff games in the series against Edmonton, has been really quiet. Even with Garland's goal that kick started the comeback that fell short, was more noticeable, but Joshua felt like he was invisible. Where did he go? 

I worry a bit about paying for one decent season..... Don't really want to see another Baertschi. 

• Like 1

lindy is prob going to end up in boston at 8.5mil for 6-7 yrs great 2 way guy i just dont think we have the cap to fill out our roster 

im just wondering what discount contracts look like if the morale in the room is high do agents sway players away from working with the team to keep the banf together knowing how close they were? 

joshua could go to open market and bag 5mill 

coming from paid under a mill lol so youd think money is more important than winning to get the bag while he can 

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I worry a bit about paying for one decent season..... Don't really want to see another Baertschi. 

Joshua and Zadorov are the most likely to underperform whatever contract we give them this year. 

Lindholm will be pricey but hes got a good shout of outperforming his contract. We'd be paying him based on a pretty shit season + a good playoff run. Hes not that far removed from being a 40 goal guy. 7.5m for Lindholm could end up looking super cheap if he finds his old form again. 

Joshua is a 3rd line winger, Zadorov is a 3rd pair LD. Both the easiest to replace either from within, or UFA/trade. Theres a reason why we didnt have to give up much to get Zadorov in the first place. 

If we keep Lindholm it also means we can probably let Bleuger walk, as we'd have 5 centers in our lineup (miller, petey, lindy, suter, aman). 

Petey-Lindholm-Hoglander

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Suter-Podkolzin

Bains-Aman-PDG

We'd probably be under the cap with that, and could go get a winger at the deadline if we're lacking scoring

i have a feeling though that management is gonna try to keep Joshua b/c of Garland

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, TopCheese said:

lindy is prob going to end up in boston at 8.5mil for 6-7 yrs great 2 way guy i just dont think we have the cap to fill out our roster 

im just wondering what discount contracts look like if the morale in the room is high do agents sway players away from working with the team to keep the banf together knowing how close they were? 

joshua could go to open market and bag 5mill 

coming from paid under a mill lol so youd think money is more important than winning to get the bag while he can 

on a personal level im rooting for him to go get the bag tbh

once in a lifetime opportunity potentially, hes got a chance to secure his entire familys future

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, IBatch said:

yeah they actually have choices they can make in how they wanna construct the roster for next year, without having to pay to move out toxic contracts

we havent been in that position in a LONG time

Edited by HarbularyBattery

39 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Joshua and Zadorov are the most likely to underperform whatever contract we give them this year. 

Lindholm will be pricey but hes got a good shout of outperforming his contract. We'd be paying him based on a pretty shit season + a good playoff run. Hes not that far removed from being a 40 goal guy. 7.5m for Lindholm could end up looking super cheap if he finds his old form again. 

Joshua is a 3rd line winger, Zadorov is a 3rd pair LD. Both the easiest to replace either from within, or UFA/trade. Theres a reason why we didnt have to give up much to get Zadorov in the first place. 

If we keep Lindholm it also means we can probably let Bleuger walk, as we'd have 5 centers in our lineup (miller, petey, lindy, suter, aman). 

Petey-Lindholm-Hoglander

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Suter-Podkolzin

Bains-Aman-PDG

We'd probably be under the cap with that, and could go get a winger at the deadline if we're lacking scoring

i have a feeling though that management is gonna try to keep Joshua b/c of Garland

The thing about Z is you can't teach size, yes he'll be overpaid but if we don't, Trotz will.

• Like 1