Darren Dutchyshen Has Passed Away

Posted (edited)

https://www.tsn.ca/long-time-tsn-broadcaster-darren-dutchyshen-passes-away-at-57-1.2121798

There was a time TSN wasn't so bad. Dutchy was a part of that; RIP dude. Keep cracking those jokes.

Long-time TSN personality and SportsCentre host Darren Dutchyshen passed away Wednesday. He was 57.

“Darren Dutchyshen was a legend of Canadian sports broadcasting, a great teammate, and an essential part of TSN for the last three decades,” said Stewart Johnston, Senior Vice President, Sales & Sports, Bell Media.

“A larger-than-life personality, Darren’s incredible sense of humour and magnetic energy made him a natural broadcaster who connected easily with viewers. His enthusiasm reminded us every day of why we love sports. Most significantly, Darren was a friend to all of us at TSN, and we will miss him dearly. Our thoughts and heartfelt condolences are with his loved ones.”

One of Canada’s most popular and engaging sports personalities, Dutchyshen began his TSN career in 1995, hosting weekend editions of SportsDesk and CFL Live.

Dutchyshen became a beloved mainstay on TSN’s flagship news program over the next three decades, hosting the late night editions of SportsCentre alongside co-anchor Rod Smith and later with Jennifer Hedger.

Dutchyshen played a key role in the Kraft Celebration Tour, taking SportsCentre on the road across the country for several years, and was the co-host of the boxing show In This Corner with Canadian trainer and cutman Russ Anber. He also hosted Olympic Prime Time on TSN during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games and London 2012 Summer Games.

Born in Regina and raised in Porcupine Plain, Sask., Dutchyshen’s first job as a sportscaster was with STV in Saskatoon, followed by a stint with IMTV in Dauphin, Man. He also spent seven years as the host of ITV’s Sports Night in Edmonton.

“He passed as he was surrounded by his closest loved ones,” the Dutchyshen family said. “His sharp wit remained until his final moments, classically delivering plenty of jokes – most of them pretty good and all of them inappropriate.”

We will be honouring Dutch here at TSN over the coming days, as some of his closest friends and co-workers will share their stories about what made him truly one of a kind.

Edited by Ralph.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 13
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

RIP.

FUCK CANCER.  

I think that sums up how I feel about this.  My wife has been battling breast cancer since May of last year, so this hits close to home.  

Seriously just FUCK FUCK FUCK CANCER.

I can't even imagine how that must feel. My thoughts are with you.

• Like 3

I will remember him fondly as a lovely character. He started out on local television in Edmonton many years ago. God bless you Dutch.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

TORONTO — Long-time TSN broadcaster Darren Dutchyshen has died, the network announced Thursday.

TSN said Dutchyshen died Wednesday at age 57. The cause of death was not provided, but his family said in a statement he was "surrounded by his closest loved ones."

"His sharp wit remained until his final moments, classically delivering plenty of jokes — most of them pretty good and all of them inappropriate," his family said.

Dutchyshen revealed he had prostate cancer on Sept. 9, 2021, and spent a year away from TSN while receiving treatment.

He began his TSN career in 1995 and became a mainstay on the network's flagship SportsDesk and SportsCentre news programs over the next three decades.

Born in Regina and raised in Porcupine Plain, Sask., Dutchyshen was part of the network's CFL broadcasts, and also hosted Olympic Prime Time on TSN during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games and London 2012 Summer Games.

"A larger-than-life personality, Darren's incredible sense of humour and magnetic energy made him a natural broadcaster who connected easily with viewers," said Stewart Johnston, senior vice-president for sales and sports at Bell Media, TSN's parent company.

"His enthusiasm reminded us every day of why we love sports.”

Dutchyshen's first job as a sportscaster was with STV in Saskatoon, followed by a stint with IMTV in Dauphin, Man. He also spent seven years as the host of ITV's Sports Night in Edmonton.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 16, 2024.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

RIP.

FUCK CANCER.  

I think that sums up how I feel about this.  My wife has been battling breast cancer since May of last year, so this hits close to home.  

Seriously just FUCK FUCK FUCK CANCER.

Fuck cancer, best wishes to your wife she’s fighting hard for you guys 

• Like 2