[Rumour] Ehlers is available

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If Ehlers goes they might as well rebuild.

Not necessarily, that frees up cap to keep one of Toffoli and Monahan. If they can work their cap out they could even potentially keep both. 

I'd assume that they may also be looking for a hockey trade if they move Ehlers. It really boils down to whether they plan on extending him after the coming season or not imo, or whether they think he'll want to stay. 

Ehlers is a very talented player but there are ways to be competitive without him. 

If Ehlers is actually available there will probably be quite a bit of interest. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Not necessarily, that frees up cap to keep one of Toffoli and Monahan. If they can work their cap out they could even potentially keep both. 

I'd assume that they may also be looking for a hockey trade if they move Ehlers. It really boils down to whether they plan on extending him after the coming season or not imo, or whether they think he'll want to stay. 

Ehlers is a very talented player but there are ways to be competitive without him. 

I'm sure it should be a damn good haul.

I guess Hronek for Ehlers wouldn't fly huh?

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

I think the Jets need to build their defense up more; probably need to do something similar to what Vancouver did last off-season.

I'm not sure Mark Sheifele is their guy either, but getting a center is hard.

Maybe Couturier if he is available. A shakeup is needed in Winnipeg.

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If Ehlers goes they might as well rebuild.

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If I were Cheveldayoff and I traded away Ehlers, my thinking would be to just rip the bandage off and start (somewhat) fresh.  They've had issues in the past with the current crew (and transients like Dubois) and with two coaches resigning(/retiring) in a period of three years, they might as well reset the culture by booting out the old guard players and bringing in hungrier young punks to fill the ranks so that they can build a team that will grow together.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Winnipeg definitely needs a RHD.  That is probably their biggest need.  I would definitely explore a trade with them to get both Ehlers and Lowry.  Problem is what would it take to re-sign Ehlers?  He's basically a 60-point guy, 25-30 goal scorer.  Could play with Petey on the left hand side.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think it'd cost Winnipeg too much to keep him in Winnipeg, hard to see Hronek going anywhere without an extension having been worked out beforehand. Which isn't to say they couldn't use an upgrade at RD, but Winnipeg has a tougher time reeling in talent. Hronek would have to be willing to stay in Winnipeg.

Wouldn't be surprise if Ehlers is moved for a D though, with both Dillon and DeMelo being pending UFA's. 

35 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

If I were Cheveldayoff and I traded away Ehlers, my thinking would be to just rip the bandage off and start (somewhat) fresh.  They've had issues in the past with the current crew (and transients like Dubois) and with two coaches resigning(/retiring) in a period of three years, they might as well reset the culture by booting out the old guard players and bringing in hungrier young punks to fill the ranks so that they can build a team that will grow together.

I think we've seen that already with the Wheeler buyout and the Dubois trade. Vilardi's fit in nicely.

I think we'll see a decent amount of turnover with the Jets sooner than later. Their defense is very much in flux this offseason, only Morrissey, Pionk, Schmidt, and Samberg are signed through next season and both Pionk and Schmidt will be pending UFA's next season. Iafollo's 4M will also come off the books after next season, amongst other smaller cap hits. 

I think we'll see guys like Vilardi and Perfetti get larger roles, and maybe prospects like McGroarty, Vesalainen, Barlow, Lambert, Lucius, Chibrikov, Heinola, Lundmark, and Salomonsson getting looks sooner than later. Vesalainen is on the older side but it's not like the Jets have nothing in the pipeline. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Winnipeg definitely needs a RHD.  That is probably their biggest need.  I would definitely explore a trade with them to get both Ehlers and Lowry.  Problem is what would it take to re-sign Ehlers?  He's basically a 60-point guy, 25-30 goal scorer.  Could play with Petey on the left hand side.  

60pt guys usually would be in the $6M range... maybe $6.5M with the cap going up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

60pt guys usually would be in the $6M range... maybe $6.5M with the cap going up.

Yeah.  My concern is how much of an upgrade he would be on Hoglander.  I mean Hoglander is already a 24 goal scorer and is only 23.  What if Hoglander can hit 30 next season?  Then he is basically the equivalent of Ehlers.  So, I would be hesitant to trade for Ehlers unless it also involves Lowry.  With Lowry, he could be a 3C or even a 3LW.  So, he could replace either Lindholm or Joshua depending on what they want as UFA's.  Lowry/Lindholm/Garland would make a remarkable 3rd line.  Even better than with Joshua...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah.  My concern is how much of an upgrade he would be on Hoglander.  I mean Hoglander is already a 24 goal scorer and is only 23.  What if Hoglander can hit 30 next season?  Then he is basically the equivalent of Ehlers.  So, I would be hesitant to trade for Ehlers unless it also involves Lowry.  With Lowry, he could be a 3C or even a 3LW.  So, he could replace either Lindholm or Joshua depending on what they want as UFA's.  Lowry/Lindholm/Garland would make a remarkable 3rd line.  Even better than with Joshua...

That is a LOT of cap for a 3rd line lol.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd argue that he doesn't need to be an upgrade, because if we acquire Ehlers ideally both him and Hoglander are in the top six. 

Looking at the roster as is, we already need at least one more top six winger. Sutur isn't a top six winger, Mikheyev hasn't played like one this season, and I wouldn't put money on Lindholm coming back but you never know. I'm leaning towards Mikheyev being back though, so he may end up in the top six again. 

If we brought in Ehlers somehow our top six would be something like Miller, Boeser, Pettersson, Ehlers, Hoglander, and then a question mark. Maybe Mikheyev. 

I don't see Lowry going anywhere, they just named him captain in September. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is interesting. Both have a year left, they both would fit their acquiring teams needs. Hmmm 

Just now, Alflives said:

Ehlers? He’s small and plays on the perimeter. Perfect for the Haberdoodles. 

cute we posted at the same time the same thoughts!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

1st pairing RHD for winger should not fly.  Would need a big sweetener IMHO

Posted (edited)

On the Winnipeg jets over the years he’s:

- 1st in CF%

- 1st SF%

- 2nd in GF/60 (behind Vilardi)

- 1st in GF% (62.07%!!!)

- 1st in xGF/60

- 3rd in xGF% (behind Nino and Lowry)

- 2nd in SCF% (behind Nino)

- 4th in high danger chances/60 (behind PLD + a collection of bottom sixers)

- 7th in high danger chances % (again, behind PLD + a collection of bottom sixers)

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Are you sure you want Ehlers? He doesn't score many goals, production has been dripping for years. Gonna be asking for a pay raise something like 7+mil x 8 years, and then we have Boeser and Hughes we need to pay as well. Be careful what you wish for lol. 

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek for Ehlers. Make it happen.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Are you sure you want Ehlers? He doesn't score many goals, production has been dripping for years. Gonna be asking for a pay raise something like 7+mil x 8 years, and then we have Boeser and Hughes we need to pay as well. Be careful what you wish for lol. 

Hmm, good point. Maybe Hronek can be swapped for another need.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

I'd rather keep Lindholm over Ehlers.  Lindholm could probably be locked in at $7M AAV.  Ehlers would probably be $6.5M AAV.  I'd pay the $500k extra for what Lindholm brings.

If you can get Lindholm for 7 yes. But doubt we can het him at that price. 
He'll look at Peteys money and want more than $7M AAV...

• Cheers 1