[Rumour] Abbotsford Head Coach Jeremy Colliton declines extension

Posted (edited)

Evening Notes: Colliton, Henrique, Wheeler

May 16th, 2024 at 9:21pm CST • By Josh Cybulski

Donnie & Dhali are reporting that the future of Vancouver Canucks AHL coach Jeremy Colliton is up in the air at the moment as there have been rumblings that the Canucks may go in a different direction with the AHL club. The former Chicago Blackhawks bench boss has guided the Abbotsford Canucks to back-to-back playoff appearances with nearly identical records posting a .604 points percentage in each of his first two seasons at the helm.

Rick Dhaliwal said on the show that he’s heard from sources that the Canucks have fired Colliton, but he reached out to both Colliton and the Canucks to try and get confirmation of this but hasn’t heard any word back.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/05/evening-notes-colliton-henrique-wheeler.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC

Seems an odd move to me considering his record. Perhaps he has a chance as an NHL assistant elsewhere and they have agreed to mutually terminate…?

Yeah, no way they figured he was so bad they'd just let him go, or that he'd run his course after years of mediocrity. The team made some strides this year. I'm sure he played a part in that along with players stepping up and other factors, so it would be nice to have some continuity, hence the two year offer.

• Cheers 1

@RWJC Maybe it would be good to change the title of this thread. As confirmed by a Canucks spokesperson, Colliton's contract was up. Therefore, he could not be "fired". The Canucks also confirmed that an offer was made. "Sources" say the offer was for two years and Colliton declined it but there is still a chance something could be worked out. Colliton might want to wait and see if he gets any NHL offers, maybe as an assistant coach, as I think head coach offers are unlikely. 

Of course, the Canucks won't wait around for long to fill that spot.

Colliton is the best AHL coach the organization has had for a long time.

• Cheers 1

• RWJC changed the title to [Rumour] Abbotsford Head Coach Jeremy Colliton declines extension
35 minutes ago, JamesB said:

@RWJC Maybe it would be good to change the title of this thread. As confirmed by a Canucks spokesperson, Colliton's contract was up. Therefore, he could not be "fired". The Canucks also confirmed that an offer was made. "Sources" say the offer was for two years and Colliton declined it but there is still a chance something could be worked out. Colliton might want to wait and see if he gets any NHL offers, maybe as an assistant coach, as I think head coach offers are unlikely. 

Of course, the Canucks won't wait around for long to fill that spot.

Colliton is the best AHL coach the organization has had for a long time.

Done. Posted off the rumour of what Dhaliwal reported. I should have known better hah

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2024 at 8:06 PM, CaribouCanuck said:

I'm guessing Colliton feels confident that he can land an NHL gig? that's the only reason I can think of why he'd turn down a contract extension. 

Most contracts have an out clause for a promotion.  Maybe he is confident he has one lined up right away, so is just done with the AHL.

3 hours ago, RomanPer said:

From what I hear, Dhali’s report was close to the truth. Colliton will not be back with Abbotsford next season.

Well he did a good job with Abby while he was there. I'm not surprised that he's looking for an NHL coaching opportunity. There's a lot of opportunity in the league with so many coaches having lost their jobs. 

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Well he did a good job with Abby while he was there. I'm not surprised that he's looking for an NHL coaching opportunity. There's a lot of opportunity in the league with so many coaches having lost their jobs. 

I'm not sure if Canucks management is sharing the same opinion about how good of a job he did.