[PGT] Divemonton at Vancouver - Round 2 - Game 5

Watching the Presser with Miller and Pettersson, its good to see they were not too high on the victory.

Maintaining a level keel and not looking too far ahead is crucial in this series.

They know the next game is going to be a circus in Edmonton and they will need to play just as well.

Listening to Petey, I think he still has this bug... his voice sounds husky and he doesn't look 100%... better than the last presser he did, but still not great.

Hopefully he is fully recovered by Saturday.

8 minutes ago, Shekky said:

Funny cause in the clip the announcer explains why it was called. The rule is dumb and I don't think this should have been called. But leaving your feet can make this "charging" based on the letter of the law. But yeah, it was a really dumb call to make, especially in the playoffs.

36 minutes ago, trek604 said:

they also had freakin Wayne Gretzky

For 4 of them yes.

The 1984 Oilers were voted the best nhl team of all time.

Just filled with hofers. 

Late 70s Canadians, early 80s islanders and 2002 red wings I believe were the runner ups

3 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

For 4 of them yes.

The 1984 Oilers were voted the best nhl team of all time.

Just filled with hofers. 

Late 70s Canadians, early 80s islanders and 2002 red wings I believe were the runner ups

Mid '70's Canadians were a better overall team.  Better defense and goaltending.

And that Canadians team still holds the record for the highest points percentage based on their 132 pts from 80 games...  .825 record.

The only team that comes close in point percentage are the 2022/2023 Bruins, but they had the advantage of getting a lot of OT wins... the Canadians played in the era where a tie is a tie... one point... whereas in the current era with OT wins in the Regular season, there is much more of an opportunity to pick up points.

That Canadians team didn't quite have the offensive firepower of the Oilers, but they had probably the best overall defense ever, with guys like Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe, Serge Savard, etc.  They also had Ken Dryden in net... far superior to Grant Fuhr.

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jimboB said:

The oilers are Canada's team with 4 Stanley cups and legendary players. They have a storied history. 

Actually, the Oilers are widely loathed in Canada outside of Edmonton. Their fan base's argument that past success makes them more deserving of future success & recognition, just makes them seem entitled, in the douchiest way possible. There are very few things that Vancouverites and Calgarians agree on, but they've wholeheartedly joined forces in rooting against the Oilers in the playoffs. 

Edited by syntheticity
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Posted (edited)

Wow - Awesome effort from the boyz tonight as everyone contributed in their own way.  Great goal by JT in the last minute which was eerily similar to the time of Bouchard's goal when JT was trying for the block. Congrats to PDG and his wife for the new member in the family.

Not much else to say but just to rest up for the night and then begin prep for game 6. 

Playoff hockey is just brutal in terms of expended energy compared to sports like baseball.  You really have to balance rest levels / expended energy and mental preparation.

justwin.jpg

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Actually, the Oilers are widely loathed in Canada outside of Edmonton. Their fan base is perceived as entitled, in the most douchey way possible. There are very few things that Vancouverites and Calgarians agree on, but they've wholeheartedly joined forces in rooting against the Oilers in the playoffs. 

Ha! Yeah, I saw on the Flames reddit when it was clear it was going to be Canucks vs Oilers in round 2, we're the lesser of two evils. Plus we have 2 of their flames; Zadorov & Lindholm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Tonight's win was the first game where I was like damn, the team is dominating and they deserve this win because they were lights out good in all three zones all game long...cough cough cept for Cole. 

I love Silovs, and was an advocate for him to be the #1 in Demko's absence. Aside from probably wanting the third goal back last game, he was sensational, playing like a real NHL starter and not like a #3 pressed into service. I know he's had Tocc's confidence since game 4 of the 1st round, I wonder if his performance last game opened the rest of the team's eyes and allowed themselves to feel more confident, feeling like they could go out and win the game rather than stealing it. This was the first post-game where Tocc wasn't really asked much about Arty, like he's just part of a winning team.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

The interview w PDG on TNT after the game-wow.  Lets get this fella to the Western Conference Finals!!!!

Let's get him a cup, at his age this might be last chance. I don't see him making the team next year,  we have too many good young guys vying for his spot.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

They found their Mojo 

Isn’t he that blowhard from that radio station that used to have broadcast rights to Canucks games?

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

I think that JimboB is just a pissy, jilted Jim Benning…couldn’t even come up with a decent fake name 

he has 5 posts, so u know he a oiler fanboy and doubt he will last long here anyway