[PGT] Divemonton at Vancouver - Round 2 - Game 5

Golden Girls Dancing GIF by TV Land

A little late but still feels good.

About five minutes before the game winner I was thinking 'JT is probably pissed he hasn't scored a goal in a while'   BAMMMMM!  lol

And how about a blowout next time. My heart can't take this. Time to add cardio to workout schedule.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't have called that, but would you agree it had to be the leaving of the feet?

McWiner Baby should have been called for unsportsmanlike like for his dive when Hogs got a penalty. Petey’s play was big boy hockey. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

Full credit to the players but Tocchet has been equally good. Shuffles the lineup and it pays off. Look at the TOI spread. Another shocker is to see how little physical play came from the Oiler roster. Canucks out muscled them plain and simple. Two ways to win a game, muscle and finesse, Canucks did both. 

Cap off to the fans. The Petey chant was classy and the JT Miller chant a salute to the leader of this playoff. No disrespect to Huggy. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Golden Girls Dancing GIF by TV Land

A little late but still feels good.

About five minutes before the game winner I was thinking 'JT is probably pissed he hasn't scored a goal in a while'   BAMMMMM!  lol

And how about a blowout next time. My heart can't take this. Time to add cardio to workout schedule.  

Yep, me too. I said it to my son....I saw how he skated to the bench after one shift and his body language completely showed that.

He hates to lose and when he struggles it really becomes a matter of him going into beast mode.

Those games are SO tough....couldn't watch when the Oilers were in our end for the dying minutes. Had my towel over my face and just listened for good news.

The Oilers are smug and arrogant so I expect them to come out hard and resort to some of their dirty tactics next game. Definitely get away with much more than our team does.

I hope we can close them out in 6 and bring them (and their fans) back down to earth.

• Cheers 2
  • MillerTime 2

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t think his right blade left the ice regardless of the referee making his own definition of that rule ..

The basis of “charging” as it applies to that rule is it has to do with “distance travelled by the skater” 

EP  stood still , pivoted, braced himself ..

many players jump when they get hit , you can absorb the velocity of the hit and stay on your feet .

Sometimes when things aren't going right, a refs got to get creative! Gotta give him credit!

Canucks played great last night,, as did the oilies..  was so impressed with everybody especially shilovs!   I usually dong comment on officiating but there were no doubt some interesting calls.  This leads me to think if the league truly wants the oil bags in the final 4 do they have sutherland ref game six or seven??  Hmmm

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

This is great. Petey the destroyer..🤬

This is playoff hockey for chrissake.

God, to cherry pick some good solid hits and penalize them is mind boggling.  Refs were garbage again last night...too much of that happening.

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm a referee, although I've obviously never worked a game at the NHL level....

I'll preface this by saying that I don't believe the league or the refs have it in for the Canucks, but this series is really testing my resolve. I don't believe McDavid deliberately high sticked Huggy, but I also don't understand why there was no huddle with the linesmen to see if anyone saw it.

I was okay with the one game suspension to Soucy and the fine to Z, because I know that professional sports leagues are always going to favor their "superstars". What I couldn't understand is zero repercussions for Hyman's cross check on Zadorov. Hyman's a very good player, but he should not be untouchable....

That being said, I've seen it all before. Strange decisions by refs and DoPS and weak attempts by commentators to justify them....until the "charging" call against Petey last night. I kept hearing it over and over from analysts and pundits...."I've never seen that call before". As a ref myself, and someone who's played well over 1000 competitive hockey games, neither have I.

It was an absolute head scratcher and whichever of the zebras made the call is going to feel pretty ridiculous watching that replay.

Thanks for your insight.  Perhaps I quibble, but that ref should be feeling something a hell of a lot stronger than ridiculous.

The entire hockey world was stunned.  Edmonton players had no idea who was getting the penalty.  The commentators were incredulous.

The league and the players' association should have a full investigation.  There should be repercussions.

We won; and that is a bloody good thing.  If we had not, that ref may have felt the repercussions long before any investigation produced conclusions.

The other pro leagues seem to be making inroads into corruption of officials; whether corruption or incompetence, that ref should be toast.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

This is playoff hockey for chrissake.

God, to cherry pick some good solid hits and penalize them is mind boggling.  Refs were garbage again last night...too much of that happening.

Hope you had a great time. We were all rooting for you as long as you didn't pass out.

Do you need a new cowbell?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yes, please. Fuhr has a career save percentage of .887 and a GAA of 3.38. He was lucky enough to play on a team could allow seven goals and still win with eight. On top of that he's 61 years old, so I like the idea of him starting Saturday...

not so sure of that... the cocaine is a lot stronger these days

• ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yes, please. Fuhr has a career save percentage of .887 and a GAA of 3.38. He was lucky enough to play on a team could allow seven goals and still win with eight. On top of that he's 61 years old, so I like the idea of him starting Saturday...

I remember one night after a win, Gretz called him "The best goalie on the planet".....

I remember even back then, wondering which planet Wayner was talking about.....Mars?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arsenalian said:

And Mikheyev can stay in the press box for now, 4th line was great too

Exactly. When he is buzzing he's still very effective as a defender who can at least give us some offensive zone time, but he was slowing down. If he recharges he can help again later. 

Reminds me of the adage, "Fast guys get tired and slow down, big guys get tired but they are still big" or some such thing, that is used to describe why big teams generally win the cup.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Combover said:

People  trying to justify the terribly stupid /fabricated call on petey.

so every time a player is along the boards and jumps to absorb a hit should now be called standing still charging. the refs were terrible I haven’t heard one plausible defence for that call just excuses.

ive heard a lot of be never seen that call I’ve never heard of that call charging requires travelling 

even ray Ferraro said the officiating was terrible

i guess petey should be called standing bull the only bull in the universe that can charge and hurt people while jumping vertically and standing still…. 

Hope Vancouver is talking with the officials about the oilers diving it’s making the refs look even stupider which seems impossible. 

Fkn loser oilers aren’t winning even with the officials attempting to hand them the game. 

good job Canucks now put these tired over played mcbitches to bed in game 6

Exactly. Players jump all the time to absorb contact. They “get up on the glass” which flexes. Terrible call and only a Coiler moran would see it otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

9 hours ago, BarneyKook said:

\

curious why Stetcher doesnt play? injured or scratched?

No room for him on that blueline, thanks to the immense talent of Cody Ceci.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

I wonder if Z and Kane will shake hands in the lineup after we eliminate them?

They'll have a manno-a-manno hug is my prediction.

It's one of the endearing things about playoff hockey - beat the crap out of each other then at the end, no hard feelings and best wishes to the winning team

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1