[PGT] Divemonton at Vancouver - Round 2 - Game 5

6 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Cammi's husband chimes in 

I don't know if both teams would be shaking their heads. Edmonton should be happy with the reffing. It's tilted in their favour

• Cheers 2

To see Bouchard and McDavid directly scored on sums things up. Our top defenceman Hughes isn't getting stripped like that, and the Miller vs McDavid battle has been so epic but that goal sums it up - JT just out-hustled McDavid on the GWG.

Good to know we can play with this intensity, we just have to bring it. Don't have to play every playoff game like this but certainly in the important games and this was a big one. If this series goes to 7 games you know we'll play our best.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't know if both teams would be shaking their heads. Edmonton should be happy with the reffing. It's tilted in their favour

Oilers haking their heads up and down (Yes) vs the Canucks side ro side (No). 

Both teams shKimg their heads with the officiating. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BornMello said:

Man, what an AMAZING game! I watched it at the outdoor screen at brentwood outdoor screening which was a pretty descent place to watch. I can honestly say that when i saw the line up going into this game i said to myself, finally the lines i had been waiting for!

I thought they had much better balance and finally Petey had some line mates. Like people have said, we need to find a way to get rid of Micheyev this off season and put it towards other players. Speed is not enough for what hes being paid. I though our defence was really good from the 2nd period forward. I dont whats going on with this reffing but something has to be done about it. It seem extremely biased to the point that im actually questioning if theres actual corruption. Also so much for the league cracking down on embellishment. I have never seen a team dive and look for calls in my life.

Also got a chance to rewatch in slow mo some moment in the game. For the ones saying the 2nd goal was a trip on Soucy, it wasnt, unfortunately they hit the puck before it looked like soucy stepped on the stick blade making him fall. Another unfortunate i noticed on replay of the first goal was it looked like when Silovs was hugging the right post before kane scored that his left pad got a bit stacked on top of hit right pad and he couldnt flatted his pads out leaving it wide open below him. Sucks but we STILL GOT EM!

WOOOOO I LOVE THIS TEAM. Regardless if we take the cup or not i hope we send these embarrassing little divas home!!

GCG!!

Yesh, it definitely was not a trip on Soucy.  He just blew a tire on a bad pinch

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If they go to arbitration there's no way he'll get an 8M award. Probably in the 6's.

You risk him walking after 1 more season but it might be worthwhile to have him at a good # next season if we are contending, then let the chips fall where they may.

I'm happy with Roy, Dumba, or Tanev at a cheaper contract.  Hronek is like my oldest daughter, always want the most expensive thing on the shelf. 

5 hours ago, Win2024 said:

Amazing, but won't lie am still nervous. 97 had an uncharacteristically bad game tonight and the oilers top guys will bounce back next game. 

Im really hoping mcdrai are gassed. 

They've logged alot of minutes...

They are great players and it wouldn't surprise me if they turned in an amazing performance next game but here's to hoping they are tired and at 70%

2 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Needs more cowbell…

Solid reference, but still not the one I was going for.  Gotta be pretty olf to know the Blue Oyster Club.

Soucy was influential all over the ice, made some great plays, great goal, absolutely dumb move on the pinch. Hronek played the 2 on 1 so badly, took the pass away for ages then left it at the last moment which lead to the pass across. He was probably thinking they shot on the last 2 on 1 (RNH) but he had to know who was out there - their plugs who don't have good shots, so really should have focussed on the pass.

That being said he has played well sometimes during the series man on man against McDavid which isn't easy but yeah they looked bad there.

Meanwhile Myers a +3 and veru deservedly so, he was a beast everywhere and especially on the PK broke up so many passes. 

These playoffs our best defencemen have been Zadorov, Myers, Hughes, Soucy, Hronek and Cole in that order.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

So glad Miller rose above cancel culture, did better, improved as a player and person. He's a winner, leader, and leaves everything on the ice ... exactly what we need to get a cup!

Tap that net!!!

hqdefault.jpg

But but but he's toxic! @stawns as he sits on his couch munching on Doritos. 

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Soucy was influential all over the ice, made some great plays, great goal, absolutely dumb move on the pinch. Hronek played the 2 on 1 so badly, took the pass away for ages then left it at the last moment which lead to the pass across. He was probably thinking they shot on the last 2 on 1 (RNH) but he had to know who was out there - their plugs who don't have good shots, so really should have focussed on the pass.

That being said he has played well sometimes during the series man on man against McDavid which isn't easy but yeah they looked bad there.

Meanwhile Myers a +3 and veru deservedly so, he was a beast everywhere and especially on the PK broke up so many passes. 

These playoffs our best defencemen have been Zadorov, Myers, Hughes, Soucy, Hronek and Cole in that order.

He didn't play it great, I agree, but soucy should not have pinched there either.

Soucy left hronek out to dry and hronek left silovs out to dry

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm happy with Roy, Dumba, or Tanev at a cheaper contract.  Hronek is like my oldest daughter, always want the most expensive thing on the shelf. 

As in the Canucks do?   At some point, the more success the team has, will create a bit of a cap bind.    Tanev has a lot of miles and also a little too much sentimentality.    He's a warrior for sure, and maybe he's got some gas left in the tank for a re-union.   Hronek's lack of success/performance so far, doesn't mean it's not coming, and also gives the brass a negotiating point on a long term deal.   Some players get you to the playoffs, others shine once there.     The best ones, do both.     Was pretty vocal on the Hronek thread that high 6's low 7's was a fair deal and got ripped for it.    What has he done, that Myers hasn't so far?    Caps gone up, and going up, as far as cap percentage goes Hronek has proven he's a top four guy and deserves a decent deal (just like Myers did, and he was a UFA).  

Just because he's not doing it now, doesn't mean it won't come.   It's a gamble for sure.   A 5-6 year deal makes sense for the team.    A full term deal, those should be reserved for the real deals.   Something like 6.75 x 6 or 7.25 x 5.    Given we'd be buying 4-5 years of UFA.    Not even sure that's what we should do either. 

As in JT Miller.   EP, QHs.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Im more of an old dutch guy actually

Good chips.   I'm not a Lay's guy, Ruffle's are good too. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Im more of an old dutch guy actually

Not sure why you're not joining in on the fun man.   This is fun.   Epic series, and we are just as deserving to be where we are as any other team left in the show. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Myers with a solid game today. +3 and physical 

Myers was IMO, the best D in the bubble.   No he didn't get on the scoreboard like QHs did,  also has never been on the first PP unit (rightly so).    Tanev insulated QHs mistakes, and once we hit Vegas was completely nuetralized.   Even after his shoulder injury and coming back at 80%,  Myers did just fine against their monster sized forwards and D.    And since his WNP days, steps in up come the post season.    

Allvin and JR did a great job signing Soucy in the off season, and trading for Zadorov.     He's no longer the only D with some bite to his game.    And he's no longer the 2-3rd best option either. 

It takes a village, and he's a big part of that village.    His best season as a Canuck and more to come. 

Edited by IBatch

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not sure why you're not joining in on the fun man.   This is fun.   Epic series, and we are just as deserving to be where we are as any other team left in the show. 

What makes you thinking I'm not enjoying it?  I posted plenty last night

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Shekky said:

Fitting that the whole media crew laughs when Petey says he didn't get an explanation on his penalty 

We all know what happened there. Canucks looked dominant on the PP and we took over the game starting the 2nd period. Refs had to do something lol

• ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

As in the Canucks do?   At some point, the more success the team has, will create a bit of a cap bind.    Tanev has a lot of miles and also a little too much sentimentality.    He's a warrior for sure, and maybe he's got some gas left in the tank for a re-union.   Hronek's lack of success/performance so far, doesn't mean it's not coming, and also gives the brass a negotiating point on a long term deal.   Some players get you to the playoffs, others shine once there.     The best ones, do both.     Was pretty vocal on the Hronek thread that high 6's low 7's was a fair deal and got ripped for it.    What has he done, that Myers hasn't so far?    Caps gone up, and going up, as far as cap percentage goes Hronek has proven he's a top four guy and deserves a decent deal (just like Myers did, and he was a UFA).  

Just because he's not doing it now, doesn't mean it won't come.   It's a gamble for sure.   A 5-6 year deal makes sense for the team.    A full term deal, those should be reserved for the real deals.   Something like 6.75 x 6 or 7.25 x 5.    Given we'd be buying 4-5 years of UFA.    Not even sure that's what we should do either. 

As in JT Miller.   EP, QHs.   

No that's still too much for Hronek. 

He's playing like a 2nd pairing type right now. Why should we overpay him. Because a 7 x 6M or 7.5M  contract is for basically a placeholder for our soon to be studs coming in. I'd like Roy at 6 x 5.5M instead. A lower cost solid vet. 

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

What makes you thinking I'm not enjoying it?  I posted plenty last night

Wasn't following that GDT.    Usually stay out of it and just enjoy the game in my own time.  Wet blanketing is a choice, and well an Olive branch suggesting maybe it's time to cut that out.    Some of us believed in this team going back to our rapid start.   It's not the same team we had a year ago.    Join us!   Cheerleading is fun too. 

• Cheers 2

Two good rallying points for us in the audience last night. Mind you we were all cheering on the fly. Either reffing or promoting Petie, or just making it loud. 

There were 2 quiet spots that got the crowd pumped one was for a cancer survivor in the audience  'Sam' and everyone REALLY cheered!!

Another one was when, believe it or not, Kesler said MAKE SOME NOISE!! And waved the towel. It got us back in the groove. So much cheering and I thought we quieted the Edm fans good too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wasn't following that GDT.    Usually stay out of it and just enjoy the game in my own time.  Wet blanketing is a choice, and well an Olive branch suggesting maybe it's time to cut that out.    Some of us believed in this team going back to our rapid start.   It's not the same team we had a year ago.    Join us!   Cheerleading is fun too. 

I'm not a zealot, nor do I enjoy being one.  I watch the game and enjoy analyzing the game as it is.  I've been a Canucks fan for 50 years, I don't need people telling me how to be a fan of the team.

I was also one of the very few who said this was a playoff team if they dumped BB and got a coach who would implement a defensive system. 

So, Id say I'm far more positive than most who, boringly, throw around the term "wet blanket", as most of them are only "cheerleading" when the team is doing well.

Fortunately, I could not possibly care less about people like that.

Edited by stawns
  • Thanks 1