[PGT] Divemonton at Vancouver - Round 2 - Game 5

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Boy, when the breaks go your way, they really go your way.  

That almost never happens and gooc on the linesman for recognizing that that's how it went down.  I'd say most times that play just gets blown down and it's chalked up to a bad call.  I think many times, even the Canucks (or any team) hesitate there to see if it gets blown down, but kudos to them, they kept playing  without hesitation.

Talk about a play when everything falls into place

I was watching the game delayed a bit, as usual, fast-forwarding past commercials and most breaks in play. I was sure that was whistled down, and was surprised to see the goal after the fast-forward stopped.

Pleasant surprise!

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

there are some realistic ones. finally realizing their leadership is inept when the times get tough.

image.png.27b8eed71e701c240209d7d08e35a3c2.png

I agree with these Reddit posts.

If the Oilers played like they really cared, they could actually dominate the league. But unfortunately for them, this isn't the NBA where the likes of Kobe Bryant and Lebron James can completely overtake a game and win with dominant skill while disregarding the team. 

The NHL is different, you need the entire team to chip in to win. Hockey by nature is probably the most team-oriented sport out of all the major sporting leagues. Soccer is probably the closest. 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I've never seen it called before...

People wonder why Vancouver Fans feel there's a referee conspiracy...

That charging penalty was a joke...even if it fits within the parameters of the definition, why has it NEVER been called before.

Coaches, Broadcasters, Players and Fans had no idea what the call was, because they've never seen it called.

I was not a fan of the Joshua penalty either, it looked like McDavid took a dive. Would like to see a different camera angle on it though.

Although I thought is was a weak call by the Refs,  at least you could make a case for it.

I'm not a big "conspiracy" believer but sometimes you see a call like Petey's charging and wonder if all the crazies were right. LOL

There my rant is over....FYI, I also think most fanbases feel that there's a conspiracy against there team as well, so we are not alone. Haha

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

To be fair, McDavid and Draisaitl alone make the Oilers one of the top teams in the league on paper

But their depth never shows up and depends on their two juggernauts to do all the work. They don't play as a team.  

In the playoffs, you need depth and D.

Oilers are lacking in both departments.

Resilience is a big deal too. But why be resilient when whining and diving can give you a boost?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

was not a fan of the Joshua penalty either, it looked like McDavid took a dive. Would like to see a different camera angle on it though.

Although I thought is was a weak call by the Refs,  at least you could make a case

Was a total typical McD dive. Later on in the third the exact same instance played out and Joshua powered around the player, not dive. Perfect example of why most of the hockey world is cheering against that diving, douchebag team.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

To be fair, McDavid and Draisaitl alone make the Oilers one of the top teams in the league on paper

But their depth never shows up and depends on their two juggernauts to do all the work. They don't play as a team.  

2 star players does not make them one of the top teams in the league, on paper or otherwise

they have a ridiculously top heavy roster with arguably the worst d-core in the nhl, and certainly bottom-5 goaltending

theyre delusional if they think theyre a good team. like one of their posters said, they need to blow it up and completely restructure their roster

Two minutes for jumping. What a joke. 

So if a player in front of the opposing net jumps vertically  to avoid or screen  a shot and someone hits him while off the ice why is that not also “charging”?

You see that happen virtually every game and it’s never been called. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, jimboB said:

The oilers are Canada's team with 4 Stanley cups and legendary players. They have a storied history. 

Who gives a fuck, troll. The Canucks are BC’s team. Your Soilers worship is stinking up these boards.

• ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

image.png.d77b57405023406d6d87001f4cc5f419.png

imagine being this delusional

losing every single game to the canucks in the regular season

finishes behind the canucks in the division

has a losing record against the canucks in this series despite the canucks running with their AHL starting goaltender and their most important star player not producing

"its so frustrating how much better we are than the canucks"

the fuck are they smoking over there

his second paragraph actually explains why we are the better team 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

2 star players does not make them one of the top teams in the league, on paper or otherwise

they have a ridiculously top heavy roster with arguably the worst d-core in the nhl, and certainly bottom-5 goaltending

theyre delusional if they think theyre a good team. like one of their posters said, they need to blow it up and completely restructure their roster

Draisaitl, McDavid, RNH, McLeod, Janmark as your centers sound pretty good on paper to me. 

Ekholm-Bouchard i would say is top pairing bonified. Not Makar or Hughes level, but those two can eat minutes. I will admit the rest of their d-core is lacking. I thought Skinner had settled in for them, but I guess this round has put the OIlers goaltending back into questioning. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

Ever since watching the 94 playoffs, it really does seem there has been a conspiracy against Canucks and referees. There's been phantom calls against them for years, calls that no one has ever seen and make you scratch your head, reviews from referees that never happen in other games but somehow happen against the Canucks to try and call something or overturn something, this is just stuff that has been going on for years. Especially in 2011 it was noticeable, but it's like the Canucks are almost always 2 on 1, playing against a team and the refs. 

Just now, HarbularyBattery said:

Just look at how many of their players were discarded due to character issues by other teams. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

24 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

image.png.d77b57405023406d6d87001f4cc5f419.png

imagine being this delusional

losing every single game to the canucks in the regular season

finishes behind the canucks in the division

has a losing record against the canucks in this series despite the canucks running with their AHL starting goaltender and their most important star player not producing

"its so frustrating how much better we are than the canucks"

the fuck are they smoking over there

He's also missing the fact that in game 4, the Oilers played their best game while the Canucks played their worst.....and only beat them by 1.....in the dying minutes.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Love how Ekholm says they are the better team and that they don’t have the D or goaltending for that. Which is it?  
Do you realize as a D man that the D is part of the team. 
‘We have better forward depth, maybe they have the best 2 forwards in the game but our top 6 can match theirs and our bottom 6 is way better.  Our D is way better than theirs even with Cole’s struggles and we are beating them with our third string tender. Silov’s has been great but Demko is significantly better. 
Should be a great game tomorrow even when they throw Sutherland at us.
Close out these cheap shot artists tomorrow in front of their fans so we can watch them cry oily tears. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

People wonder why Vancouver Fans feel there's a referee conspiracy...

That charging penalty was a joke...even if it fits within the parameters of the definition, why has it NEVER been called before.

Coaches, Broadcasters, Players and Fans had no idea what the call was, because they've never seen it called.

I was not a fan of the Joshua penalty either, it looked like McDavid took a dive. Would like to see a different camera angle on it though.

Although I thought is was a weak call by the Refs,  at least you could make a case for it.

I'm not a big "conspiracy" believer but sometimes you see a call like Petey's charging and wonder if all the crazies were right. LOL

There my rant is over....FYI, I also think most fanbases feel that there's a conspiracy against there team as well, so we are not alone. Haha

As long time fan (been watching them since '83) I have seen the charging penalty called before. However, the caveat to that is that it has not been consistently called since probably '93 and certainly never called in the playoffs. It is like the ridiculous "holding the stick" penalty that rarely gets called during the playoffs, except against the Canucks

Edited by BTueyCanucksFan
Spelling and grammar

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Draisaitl, McDavid, RNH, McLeod, Janmark as your centers sound pretty good on paper to me. 

Ekholm-Bouchard i would say is top pairing bonified. Not Makar or Hughes level, but those two can eat minutes. I will admit the rest of their d-core is lacking. I thought Skinner had settled in for them, but I guess this round has put the OIlers back into questioning. 

they have dylan holloway in their top-6

their bottom-6 is basically just embodying jayce hawryluk (no disrespect to jayce), no finish, contributes nothing of value, cant even make a physical impact on the opposing team

they have 3 good forwards, McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH. Hyman is Cheechooing because of being on mcdavids wing. Kane is a piece of shit who causes an equivalent amount of issues as value that he creates. 

Bouchard is a major defensive liability. Maybe he solves that, but hes been personally responsible for multiple Canucks goals. Ekholm is a good defenseman. The rest all belong in the AHL.

And still bottom-5 goaltending in the nhl

just a poor poor poorly constructed roster. and because they extended the douchebag discount to a couple of real dirtbags, clearly they dont like eachother/have no desire to play hard for eachother. i cant imagine any of them are texting kane or perry asking to go to dinner together. 

6 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Just look at how many of their players were discarded due to character issues by other teams. 

you get the douchebag discount on those players for a reason

save money upfront, pay for it later when youre hoping to have a team that bonds and plays hard for eachother

6 minutes ago, Canucks164cup said:

Ever since watching the 94 playoffs, it really does seem there has been a conspiracy against Canucks and referees. There's been phantom calls against them for years, calls that no one has ever seen and make you scratch your head, reviews from referees that never happen in other games but somehow happen against the Canucks to try and call something or overturn something, this is just stuff that has been going on for years. Especially in 2011 it was noticeable, but it's like the Canucks are almost always 2 on 1, playing against a team and the refs. 

I've been watching a lot of the other games these first two rounds, there's a lot of bad/questionable calls going on all over. The Rangers e.g., certainly seem to be getting a lot going their way.

Our 1st round was quite fair, other than maybe that final call against us. 

This round is where I do think we see league bias. I don't think there's an order coming down from Gary, but McDiver clearly gets the benefit of his position as league poster boy, and it sucks. 

But it is what it is. The guys need to find a way to beat that too.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sargon said:

I thought Aman didn’t look out of place nor a liability.Sam’s podz!

That was the overall difference last night....  It could have gone either way (Pickard was keeping them in it)...  A bounce here a bounce there.   But the ENERGY and relentless pressure the 4th line gave,  in my opinion, gave that just a little more juice to the other lines to close the game out.   I was very impressed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1