[Speculation] Avalanche Could Be Interested in Spencer Martin

Avalanche Could Be Interested in Martin

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman said the Avalanche might be interested in adding Martin. Colorado is looking for a goalie, as backup Pavel Francouz is out to start the season.

Meanwhile, Martin spent the past two seasons playing 35 games with the Canucks, posting a 14-15-14 record.

The 28-year-old previously played for the Avalanche, as the organization drafted him with the 63rd overall in the 2013 Draft. However, he only played three games for the club in the 2017-17 season, spending most of his time in the American Hockey League.

September 23, 2023 by Sartaaj Bhullar

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-news-rumors-martin-pettersson-podkolzin/

Edited by RWJC

• RWJC changed the title to [Speculation] Avalanche Could Be Interested in Spencer Martin
28 minutes ago, Tusk said:

tell them fuck no. Let martins play backup for first 4 months and then sell him. Let DeSmith and Silvos crush in Abby and one of them can come to play when we get a good price on Martin 

Why would you want to destroy better talent and screw Nucks if Demer got injured?We saw that movie last year

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Avalanche Could Be Interested in Martin

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman said the Avalanche might be interested in adding Martin. Colorado is looking for a goalie, as backup Pavel Francouz is out to start the season.

Meanwhile, Martin spent the past two seasons playing 35 games with the Canucks, posting a 14-15-14 record.

The 28-year-old previously played for the Avalanche, as the organization drafted him with the 63rd overall in the 2013 Draft. However, he only played three games for the club in the 2017-17 season, spending most of his time in the American Hockey League.

September 23, 2023 by Sartaaj Bhullar

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-news-rumors-martin-pettersson-podkolzin/

To Colorado:  Spencer Martin

To Vancouver:  A bag of shit

Lets get errr done.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I bet the best we can get is probably a 5th round pick. Depends how desperate they are I guess.

I'll take it.  We know it'll get flipped at the deadline for something stupid, but it's still something.

And it gives Martin a solid opportunity since his prospects of playing here are almost zero now.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Why don't they just sign Halak to a PTO. Then sign him.

He has indeed been linked to Colorado.  It's a no-brainer for a team that desperately needs an NHL calibee goalie.  Even in that brutal year with us, he put up ordinary numbers you'd expect from a backup.

I'm kind of annoyed we traded assets to get DeSmith when we could've signed Halak again for free.  Then again... I guess since DeSmith has proven himself as a 1B goalie, we can afford to lose Demko and not have the wheels completely fall off.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

He has indeed been linked to Colorado.  It's a no-brainer for a team that desperately needs an NHL calibee goalie.  Even in that brutal year with us, he put up ordinary numbers you'd expect from a backup.

I'm kind of annoyed we traded assets to get DeSmith when we could've signed Halak again for free.  Then again... I guess since DeSmith has proven himself as a 1B goalie, we can afford to lose Demko and not have the wheels completely fall off.

I doubt Halak wants to be a third string goalie. If he insists on a NMC it'll screw Col when Francouz returns. Martin is on league minimum and could be sent down with little risk of being claimed.

The DeSmith move got us cap compliant and a reliable back-up. Signing Halak wouldn't have done the first, he's declining so the second isn't guarenteed, and we don't know if he'd even want to come back.

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dunno how preseason rosters work.. but don't all players under contract that plays in the preseason have to go thru waivers when sent back to the ahl? if so wouldn't colorado just wait till he's on waiver and grab him for free?

Got nothing to do with preseason, but Martin is waiver eligible so Col could get him for free (assuming no one before them makes a claim and DeSmith is our back-up, which some people here seem to be doubting 🤷‍♀️). Signing him before waivers would give them certainty and probably only cost them the legendary Future Considerations who hasn't even played in the AHL yet. If someone is crazy enough to offer a 5th that'd be great, but I can't see it happening.

• Like 1