[Speculation] Avalanche Could Be Interested in Spencer Martin

Just now, qwijjibo said:

Are you under the impression that Martin is thier only possible target ? 

They’re familiar with him as he was their draft pick, he’s competent behind a good team. 

Did I say he was their only target? There’s 32 teams I don’t think I should have to spell it out for you that they have other options? Maybe cut the condescension a tad. 

16 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

They’re familiar with him as he was their draft pick, he’s competent behind a good team. 

Did I say he was their only target? There’s 32 teams I don’t think I should have to spell it out for you that they have other options? Maybe cut the condescension a tad. 

You're asking for an overpay on a marginal player who plays a position that typically doesn't have much trade value.  Overpayment only happe. When there's a lack of options.  That's not the case here 

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

You're asking for an overpay on a marginal player who plays a position that typically doesn't have much trade value.  Overpayment only happe. When there's a lack of options.  That's not the case here 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

I doubt it to but don't ask don’t get 

Good thing I’m not saying it’s likely without an add or at all. 

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I think the issue is giving up a draft pick when they can pick him up for free on waivers.

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If they claim Martin do we get the entire $700k  in cap relief??

Not really.  If he was on waivers that mean he was being sent to Abbotsford so he wouldn't have counted against the cap anyway. For the record he's not currently showing against the Canucks cap in Capfriendly.  He's shown as a non roster player. 

On 9/24/2023 at 11:17 PM, Tusk said:

Dude, you are wrong. We are only possibly cap compliant this year because they off loaded Pearson and its now clear tucker will still be on LTIR.

Demko does not need a backup. DeSmith can play in Abby.

Martin is good enough to play 1 in 5 games and Canucks will be in playoffs even if he lost every game.

Looking at our defense, Martin will have more wins than losses I mean, look at his actual record from last year, with the team?

And then the previous year? 3 wins, 0 losses in 2022, when just a backup goalie instead of all this crap on his shoulders

You’re delusional. Is Demko winning 100% of his starts? Because if he’s not, your backup can’t be losing 1 in 5, aka 20% of the season. I think we all saw enough of Martin last year to know he won’t be the NHL backup this year, heck maybe not even the AHL backup.

edit for clarification, won’t be the Canucks NHL backup, he’s likely to land another NHL backup gig, just not with this org

Edited by arsenalian
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

What if Colorado is kicking tires on DeSmith rather than Martin? If they are serious about trying to contend again, he makes FAR more sense than Martin. I do not actually want this to happen but it wouldn't surprise me either

DeSmith isn't on the market though. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, tas said:

DeSmith isn't on the market though. 

As far as we know. At this point unless we are guaranteed a playoff berth this year, anyone outside of the main core is available via trade for the right price. Not saying it is going to happen, but if Colorado made an "offer we can't refuse" it might be hard for management to say no. Especially if there were other pieces moving

5 minutes ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

As far as we know. At this point unless we are guaranteed a playoff berth this year, anyone outside of the main core is available via trade for the right price. Not saying it is going to happen, but if Colorado made an "offer we can't refuse" it might be hard for management to say no. Especially if there were other pieces moving

If they were going to make someone an offer they couldn't refuse for DeSmith they likely would have done it with Montreal ( who have far more cap flexibility).  I think it's pretty clear Vancouver acquired DeSmith to use as thier backup.  Not to flip 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The Vancouver Canucks could have a goaltender to move

Daily Faceoff: Frank Seravalli on the Vancouver Canucks goaltending situation and who could be gone.

** NHLRumors.com transcription

“I think Casey DeSmith is probably a lock. There’s a familiarity there. Jim Rutherford, Patrik Allvin, they know him from Pittsburgh.

They have some familiarity there. I can’t remember if Rick Tocchet was there or not but, they would have known Casey DeSmith and there’s a reason they went out to get him.

I do think what that does though is it leaves Spencer Martin available. My guess is that there’s going to be a number of teams in the next 10 days that are trying to trade third goalies. Just because they know that they are going to have to lose them on waivers anyway.”

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-vancouver-canucks-and-patrick-kane/2023/09/27/

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

The Vancouver Canucks could have a goaltender to move

Daily Faceoff: Frank Seravalli on the Vancouver Canucks goaltending situation and who could be gone.

** NHLRumors.com transcription

“I think Casey DeSmith is probably a lock. There’s a familiarity there. Jim Rutherford, Patrik Allvin, they know him from Pittsburgh.

They have some familiarity there. I can’t remember if Rick Tocchet was there or not but, they would have known Casey DeSmith and there’s a reason they went out to get him.

I do think what that does though is it leaves Spencer Martin available. My guess is that there’s going to be a number of teams in the next 10 days that are trying to trade third goalies. Just because they know that they are going to have to lose them on waivers anyway.”

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-vancouver-canucks-and-patrick-kane/2023/09/27/

I don't think losing Martin to waivers would hurt the Canucks. Sure, a late round pick might be something and an extra goalie in case Demko or DeSmith get injured doesn't hurt but he really isn't needed in the organization anymore with the addition of DeSmith and continued development of Silovs.

• Cheers 1

If the Avs wanted DeSmith I think they'd have just negotiated with Montreal, doesn't to try and get him from Vancouver 

I do think Martin could be claimed on waivers though, if only to be waived again by another organization at some point, depth is important 

On 9/25/2023 at 1:06 AM, Tusk said:

the point is, Martin's salary is not ANY kind of issue. But DeSmith could be. I think this trade was amazxing cause without it we were over Cap, and we didnt need Pearson coming back anyway.

If Desmith goes to abby direct there is no waver issues. If Martin is backup and Demko gets hurt, DeSmith is the new Starter, martin still just backup.

I bet with another 5 or 6 wins Martin can get us a good trade at deadline and then we bring up Silvos or Desmith, 

DeSmith needs to go through waivers to be sent down. DeSmith would be picked up on waivers

41 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Difficult to decide if this would really be the right move to make.

Not really that difficult. As an Abbotsford season ticket holder, Silovs was easily the better of the two, and should be the undisputed #1 in Abby. Sawchenko and Tolopio make Martin expendable. He’s a good goalie, but not good enough to be an NHL regular.

Vancouver Canucks Expected To Waive Spencer Martin

The Vancouver Canucks are expected to place goaltender Spencer Martin on waivers today unless a trade materializes in the next few hours, reports Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman. Martin, a candidate to compete for the backup job behind Thatcher Demko just a few weeks ago, was pushed down the team’s depth chart after the Canucks acquired Casey DeSmith in a trade with Montreal last week.

Even without acquiring DeSmith, the path to a roster spot in Vancouver for Martin wasn’t solid. After falling flat in his first shot at full-time NHL duties last season, many speculated that 22-year-old netminder Arturs Silovs may get the backup spot to start the season after a strong showing at the World Championship, guiding Latvia to a bronze medal. With DeSmith now in the fold, however, that point is moot, and both netminders are slated for AHL Abbotsford to start the season.

However, sending both netminders down will make for quite the crowded crease in Abbotsford. Vancouver also has Zach Sawchenko and Nikita Tolopilo signed to two-way contracts, plus 22-year-old Jonathan Lemieux is signed to an AHL contract for 2023-24. Lemieux is likely destined for assignment to ECHL Kalamazoo, but that would still leave four goalies competing for ice time at the AHL level. It’s clear why Vancouver would look to move on from Martin, the most veteran of the bunch at 28 years old.

Martin had been an AHL netminder for all of his pro career up until last season. A six-game stint near the end of 2021-22 with Vancouver earned him the upper hand on capturing the backup spot behind Demko to start 2022-23, going 3-0-3 in six starts with a sparkling .950 save percentage and 1.74 goals-against average.

However, that momentum failed to translate when Martin did assume the backup role. He was arguably one of the worst netminders in the NHL last season – while his 11-15-1 record in 27 starts wasn’t awful, his .871 save percentage and 3.99 goals-against average fell far below the league average. To visualize it better, Martin conceded 27.5 more goals than the average NHL netminder would have given the same workload and shot volume.

That being said, he could still get some interest on the trade market from teams looking to fill a third-string-shaped hole on their goalie depth chart. The Columbus Blue Jackets come to mind with few options behind Elvis Merzlikinsand Daniil Tarasov, both of whom have recent injury histories. 130-game NHL veteran Aaron Dell is in camp on a professional tryout, however.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/09/vancouver-canucks-expected-to-waive-spencer-martin.html#ref=home