[Rumour] Hurricanes Not Expected To Re-Sign Brett Pesce, Martin Necas

23 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Would be nice - he’s not super old.  But he’ll still cost a good chunk and coming off a down year is concerning - not that I follow the Canes at all.  

I do think there’s opportunity to play Hughes with a guy who’s just all around solid but doesn’t command the 7.5-8 Hronek is after and still get very good results. 

Feels like there’s been a ton of opportunity to make moves with Carolina the past few years.  Maybe this is the summer something big happens.

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Necas

Joshua-Bleuger-Garland

Podkolzin-Kotkaniemi-Aman

PDG

Hughes-Pesce

Soucy-Myers
Zadorov-Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

It almost works cap-wise if they can find a way to offload Mikheyev.  I think that’s an easy playoff team but they’d need to make something happen at the deadline (or someone internally really steps up) or both to really contend. 

Going forward I don't think we can really take the next step if we still have Suter in the top six, so imo we need two top six forwards. I think if we can bring the same defense back we'd be better off using that space for those two wingers. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Pears said:

Going forward I don't think we can really take the next step if we still have Suter in the top six, so imo we need two top six forwards. I think if we can bring the same defense back we'd be better off using that space for those two wingers. 

I’ve had a few people say this, but I think it’s about duos and the fact Garland-Joshua represent above-average depth scoring and overall play on the 3rd line. 

Miller-Boeser

Petey-? (Necas?)
Garland-Joshua

If we want a sure-fire stronger top 6, Garland or Joshua move up. IMO, there just isn’t cap space to upgrade two forwards unless we’re letting Joshua, Zadorov, etc go. 

As it stands, we’re lucky to have Suter and Hoglander signed for cheap next year and we’re behind the 8 ball to move on from Mikheyev, which won’t be easy.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

@stawns👍

Ottawa Senators Not Shopping Brady Tkachuk

May 27th, 2024 at 6:31pm CST • By Brennan McClain

For the Tkachuk family, things could not be more different between the brother duo in the National Hockey League. Matthew Tkachuk, a member of the Florida Panthers, is competing for his second appearance in the Stanley Cup Final in as many seasons, while his brother Brady Tkachuk of the Ottawa Senators is once again enjoying a long offseason; a reality familiar to him for the last six seasons.

Even though the Senators have failed to make the playoffs since the 2016-17 season, they still have a flare for the dramatics. Less than one month into the 2023-24 NHL season, Ottawa fired then-General Manager Pierre Dorion, leading to a complete overhaul of the front office. With that change coming to an organization intent on contending in the next couple of seasons, many pundits wondered whether or not the Senators would look to re-engage in their rebuilding efforts.

One name that has begun to surface in the rumor mill lately is the aforementioned Tkachuk brother, Brady. Tkachuk, who has served as the team’s captain for the last three years, has been one of the league’s best competitors since his rookie campaign. Over the last three seasons as the team’s captain, Tkachuk has accrued 102 goals and 224 points in 242 games while throwing a whopping 806 hits against opposing teams.

Nevertheless, do not expect Ottawa to move their captain this offseason, as General Manager Steve Staios recently shut down those rumors while speaking to Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic (Subscription Article). In the article from LeBrun, Staios was asked about the rumors and bluntly said, “Complete B.S. We are building this team around Brady. His leadership and unique skill set are rare. There is absolutely no validity to it“.

Things could certainly change over the offseason, especially if Ottawa is approached with an offer they cannot refuse. However, judging by Staios’ remarks to LeBrun, it does not appear that any team will be able to reach a hypothetical asking price for Tkachuk.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/05/ottawa-senators-not-shopping-brady-tkachuk.html#ref=home

if OTT bombs again this season I expect his attitude might change 

Edited by RWJC

I doubt we can afford any of these Carolina guys and to be honest I'd rather we just keep our current group in tact if we're going to spend that much. Good playoff teams bond together over years, they don't get split up every 6-12 months. I know a lot's been said about Hronek and Lindholm and their asking prices but I'd rather try and keep them both than move/lose them and gain Pesce and KK/Necas.

Don't see how we can afford going out and acquiring a >7M player like Guentzel either at this current rate. Let's focus on our own guys first. I know Hronek has soured a lot of people in the playoffs but he's still a solid young top pairing RD so would rather work with him than just trade him after a season.

We can't keep going nuclear every off-season and TDL and expect these guys to develop chemistry with each other.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I doubt we can afford any of these Carolina guys and to be honest I'd rather we just keep our current group in tact if we're going to spend that much. Good playoff teams bond together over years, they don't get split up every 6-12 months. I know a lot's been said about Hronek and Lindholm and their asking prices but I'd rather try and keep them both than move/lose them and gain Pesce and KK/Necas.

Don't see how we can afford going out and acquiring a >7M player like Guentzel either at this current rate. Let's focus on our own guys first. I know Hronek has soured a lot of people in the playoffs but he's still a solid young top pairing RD so would rather work with him than just trade him after a season.

We can't keep going nuclear every off-season and TDL and expect these guys to develop chemistry with each other.

Even if it means overpaying him by $2m, after a good half of a season?

Hronek is a solid player but playing on the top pair doesn't necessarily make you a top pair player. Hughes will elevate anyone he plays with (remember Schenn). I would rather pay Zadorov and play him on the right side and use the cap savings on a forward.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

Hronek is a solid player but playing on the top pair doesn't necessarily make you a top pair player. Hughes will elevate anyone he plays with (remember Schenn). I would rather pay Zadorov and play him on the right side and use the cap savings on a forward.

Zadorov himself has stated very clearly he doesn’t like playing the right side 

The Canadiens are among the teams to have inquired about Hurricanes forward Martin Necas, Pierre LeBrun of TSN and The Athletic recently reported in an appearance on RDS (video link). The pending restricted free agent has been frequently mentioned in trade speculation in recent weeks with Carolina having a lot of players to re-sign and not enough cap space to bring everyone back.  Necas had 24 goals and 29 assists in 77 games during the regular season and added nine points in 11 postseason contests.  He’s owed a $3.5MM qualifying offer but stands to earn much more than that this summer while also carrying salary arbitration rights.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/05/snapshots-myers-necas-buyalsky-yeo.html#ref=home

NHL Rumors: 2 New Teams Emerge As Suitors for Martin Necas

Dave Litman Friday, May 31, 2024 

Safe to say, there is no shortage of suitors for Carolina Hurricanes' restricted free agent Martin Necas. In all, at least half of the teams in the NHL have inquired about the two-time 20-goal scorer already. Necas—and more notably, his father—have made it pretty clear that the player wants to get a fresh start elsewhere for his next contract. 

Over the past week, we've heard rumours of the Vancouver Canucks and Winnipeg Jets being interested, and now, according to TSN Insider Pierre LeBrun, two more Canadian teams have jumped to the forefront as well:

“My understanding is that Montreal (Canadiens) and Calgary (Flames) are two teams that have interest in Martin Necas. The question now is do they want to get serious, or was that just a phone call to say 'keep us in the loop'.”

“In terms of Montreal, he fits the age bracket of what the Canadiens continue to do there. He would fit nicely if they can find a way.”

Necas is just 25, and was a first-round pick (#12 overall) in the 2017 Draft by the Hurricanes. Fellow insider Darren Dreger also believes that the Canadiens "are right up there in level of interest."

Interestingly, as noted by LeBrun, the connection with the Flames being interested is an intriguing one, as two years ago, Carolina offered Necas to Calgary as part of the package to try to land Matthew Tkachuk (who the Flames eventually traded to the Florida Panthers). 

Could Necas finally land in Cow Town two years later? He fits their timeline as well in their rebuild. According to Necas's father, his son needs to have a bigger role on a team than he had in Carolina this season with more power-play time. That would be available in Calgary where he could slot right into the top-six, and even potentially take the 2C role formerly filled by Elias Lindholm. 

Necas finished the season with 24 goals and 53 points, a slight downturn from the 28 goals and 71 points he posted the season before.

Nevertheless, he's in line for a nice contract, one that Anthony DiMarco of The Fourth Period says, according to general consensus, will be anywhere from 6-8 years term, at a $7-7.5M AAV.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/05/nhl-rumors-2-new-teams-emerge-as.html

NHL Trade Rumors: Asking Price For Canadiens To Acquire Martin Necas

James Wilson Thursday, June 06, 2024

The Montreal Canadiens' pursuit of Martin Necas from the Carolina Hurricanes has intensified, with a significant asking price reportedly attached. 

The Hurricanes are apparently seeking an established NHL player plus a high draft pick, signaling their intent to strengthen their defensive lineup, particularly on the left side, according to Jean-Charles Lajoie of TVA Sports.

Arber Xhekaj, a promising young defenseman for the Canadiens, emerges as a potential key piece in such a trade. Despite the potential discomfort of losing a talent like Xhekaj, reminiscent of the unease when Alexander Romanov was traded, securing Necas's services could necessitate such a high-profile sacrifice.

Lajoie suggests that the Canadiens might need to offer more than just Xhekaj to clinch the deal, possibly including the 26th overall pick they acquired from Winnipeg or their own second-round pick. 

This season, the 25-year-old Necas recorded 24 goals and 29 assists for 53 total points across 77 games played, coming off a career-best season with 71 points the year before.

Analysts like Elliotte Friedman and Pierre LeBrun have also weighed in, noting that Carolina's demand likely includes a top prospect or a straightforward significant trade piece, highlighting the steep price for acquiring a player of Necas’s caliber.

This potential transaction presents a complex negotiation for the Canadiens, balancing the immediate impact of losing a key defensive asset against the long-term benefits of adding Necas, a skilled top-six forward.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/nhl-trade-rumors-asking-price-for.html

NHL Trade Rumors: Bruins & Hurricanes linked to blockbuster trade

Shane Seney 

Thursday, June 06, 2024

The Boston Bruins and Carolina Hurricanes are rivals within the Eastern Conference, however this offseason, they could wind up doing some significant business together.

The Bruins are looking for help up front and want to become a much deeper team this summer, meanwhile the Hurricanes are trying to trade Martin Necas and are looking to find some more stability in net. Both teams also have a number of pending free agents to make decisions on. So what could a blockbuster trade look like between the two clubs? Necas heading to Boston for goaltender Linus Ullmark?

32 Thoughts co-hosts Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman were discussing the potential deal and mentioned these two teams have been linked to one another in the past.

Ullmark has one season left on his deal at $5 million against the cap and holds a 15-team no-trade clause. He used this protection to stay in Boston last season and denied a move to the LA Kings. Meanwhile Necas is a pending restricted free agent who is looking for a significant pay raise. Necas, 25, scored a 24 goals last season and ended the year with 53 points in 77 games. He also chipped in with nine points in 11 Stanley Cup Playoff game and showed off his elite speed throughout the postseason.

Meanwhile, Ullmark won the Vezina trophy in 2022-23 and has become an elite tandem with Jeremy Swayman for the Bruins. Swayman is a pending restricted free agent and is reportedly looking to cash in on a long-term lucrative contract, which is one of the many reasons Ullmark has found himself on the trade market this summer.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/nhl-trade-rumors-bruins-hurricanes.html

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

NHL Trade Rumors: Asking Price For Canadiens To Acquire Martin Necas

James Wilson Thursday, June 06, 2024

The Montreal Canadiens' pursuit of Martin Necas from the Carolina Hurricanes has intensified, with a significant asking price reportedly attached. 

The Hurricanes are apparently seeking an established NHL player plus a high draft pick, signaling their intent to strengthen their defensive lineup, particularly on the left side, according to Jean-Charles Lajoie of TVA Sports.

Arber Xhekaj, a promising young defenseman for the Canadiens, emerges as a potential key piece in such a trade. Despite the potential discomfort of losing a talent like Xhekaj, reminiscent of the unease when Alexander Romanov was traded, securing Necas's services could necessitate such a high-profile sacrifice.

Lajoie suggests that the Canadiens might need to offer more than just Xhekaj to clinch the deal, possibly including the 26th overall pick they acquired from Winnipeg or their own second-round pick. 

This season, the 25-year-old Necas recorded 24 goals and 29 assists for 53 total points across 77 games played, coming off a career-best season with 71 points the year before.

Analysts like Elliotte Friedman and Pierre LeBrun have also weighed in, noting that Carolina's demand likely includes a top prospect or a straightforward significant trade piece, highlighting the steep price for acquiring a player of Necas’s caliber.

This potential transaction presents a complex negotiation for the Canadiens, balancing the immediate impact of losing a key defensive asset against the long-term benefits of adding Necas, a skilled top-six forward.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/nhl-trade-rumors-asking-price-for.html

I could absolutely see Montreal making a deal with Carolina.  As it stands, Montreal has a logjam of young defencemen.  Moving one of them (arguably one of their better ones) for Necas makes a lot of sense.

Only way I see Canucks competing is if they traded a guy like Hronek to recoup assets to then flip to Carolina.  Then again, IF the Canucks were to move Hronek, I'd rather they target a young NHL ready player on a cheap contract (a la Hoglander).  Gives us the cap flexibility we need.

Necas in Carolina "Slipping Away"; 3-Way Deal Possible 

Dave Litman 

Tuesday, June 11, 2024

One of the hottest names on the rumor mill continues to be Martin Necas. There was some talk that maybe the Carolina Hurricanes haven't given up on re-signing him, but that appears to no longer be the case. The latest report, from insider Elliotte Friedman on his 32 Thoughts podcast on Tuesday, indicates that things picked up over the weekend, and that Necas is pretty much done in Raleigh.

“I heard that initially Carolina looked at it like if worse came to worst, they could bring Necas back next year. But I think that feeling has kind of slipped away. There is an understanding... Privately, he's made it pretty clear he wants to move on.”

What's been happening in talks, is that Carolina has told certain interested teams that they don't have what they're looking for in a potential Necas trade. Friedman has heard that some of those spurned clubs will be trying to bring in a third team to find the assets that the Canes are looking for, and work out the machinations of a three-way deal.

The 25-year-old forward's two-year, $3 million AAV deal has expired, and he is currently a restricted free agent this summer. He had his second straight 20+ goal season in Carolina, but his usage diminished, as his ice time dropped by a full minute per game, and his points decreased from 71 in the 2022-23 season to just 53 this year. 

And while Necas has supposedly made his intentions "private" as Friedman noted, the player's father hasn't been shy about going public about wanting to get his son to a new situation. Expect a trade by the Draft at the end of this month.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/necas-in-carolina-slipping-away-3-way.html

58 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Necas in Carolina "Slipping Away"; 3-Way Deal Possible 

Dave Litman 

Tuesday, June 11, 2024

One of the hottest names on the rumor mill continues to be Martin Necas. There was some talk that maybe the Carolina Hurricanes haven't given up on re-signing him, but that appears to no longer be the case. The latest report, from insider Elliotte Friedman on his 32 Thoughts podcast on Tuesday, indicates that things picked up over the weekend, and that Necas is pretty much done in Raleigh.

“I heard that initially Carolina looked at it like if worse came to worst, they could bring Necas back next year. But I think that feeling has kind of slipped away. There is an understanding... Privately, he's made it pretty clear he wants to move on.”

What's been happening in talks, is that Carolina has told certain interested teams that they don't have what they're looking for in a potential Necas trade. Friedman has heard that some of those spurned clubs will be trying to bring in a third team to find the assets that the Canes are looking for, and work out the machinations of a three-way deal.

The 25-year-old forward's two-year, $3 million AAV deal has expired, and he is currently a restricted free agent this summer. He had his second straight 20+ goal season in Carolina, but his usage diminished, as his ice time dropped by a full minute per game, and his points decreased from 71 in the 2022-23 season to just 53 this year. 

And while Necas has supposedly made his intentions "private" as Friedman noted, the player's father hasn't been shy about going public about wanting to get his son to a new situation. Expect a trade by the Draft at the end of this month.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/necas-in-carolina-slipping-away-3-way.html

Does anyone know what Carolina is actually looking for?

I wonder if we could pull something off with Buffalo as the third.

Hronek to Buffalo for their 1st + Jokiharju

Höglander + Buffalo 1st to Carolina for Necas?

Out

Hronek

Höglander 

In

Necas

Jokiharju

• 2 weeks later...

TSN’s Pierre LeBrun tweeted that a few teams around the NHL are wondering if an offer sheet is a possibility for Carolina Hurricanes forward Martin Necas. Carolina’s ask for the 25-year-old remains quite high, and the team has reportedly talked to almost every team around the league. Necas is a two-time 20-goal scorer who posted 24 goals and 29 assists in 77 games last season. The former first-round pick is a restricted free agent after making $3.5MM last season and will likely sign a lucrative long-term deal whether it’s an offer sheet or otherwise.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/metro-notes-shesterkin-necas-mercer.html#ref=home

57 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Since we re-signed Hronek we're probably out of they're looking for a hockey trade. Obviously Höglander has value but not enough for a one-for-one and the other players we have locked up that have value are all core pieces.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Since we re-signed Hronek we're probably out of they're looking for a hockey trade. Obviously Höglander has value but not enough for a one-for-one and the other players we have locked up that have value are all core pieces.

Yeah, hard to see us being a partner in a Necas trade given the pieces we have 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

depends if other gm's are lowballing, which could happen. 

Maybe, but if the goal is to make a trade than lowballing for Necas probs ain't gonna get you near the finish line