[Rumour] Hurricanes Not Expected To Re-Sign Brett Pesce, Martin Necas

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

$3M is Ian Cole's cap hit.

No to bringing him back unless he comes back at cheaper than that. His play this postseason has been less than impressive. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Räty's gotta prove that he can earn a spot in the line up. What if he doesn't, who fills that spot that Lindholm would leave open? 

I dunno.  Someone who doesn’t require 7+ mill to play 3c

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

No to bringing him back unless he comes back at cheaper than that. His play this postseason has been less than impressive. 

Are you talking about Tanev???

I would definitely like Pesce for the right price. His injury history has to start to become a concern though. He has been pretty durable for most of his career, but he's also approaching the latter half of his prime.

However, if the reports are true that he turned down a 5x5 contract than he's probably looking for something like 6x6 or 6.5M+ if it's a shorter term. That becomes a much tougher decision.

Posted (edited)

Hurricanes Notes: Offseason Priorities, Nikishin, DeAngelo

May 20th, 2024 at 12:34pm CST • By Josh Erickson

Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell was quite transparent while giving his end-of-season media availability today ahead of what will be a hectic offseason in Carolina. He’s already got one big-ticket item checked off after the team got head coach Rod Brind’Amour and his staff locked into long-term extensions over the weekend, allowing him to focus on retooling a roster with multiple high-profile pending free agents.

One area he’d like to add from outside the organization is a right-shot center (via the Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander). All five of their routine faceoff-takers this season were left-handed, although their performance on draws wasn’t an area of concern (52.6 FOW%). It does give some insight into potential UFA targets the Hurricanes will speak to, with Elias Lindholm, Jack Roslovic and Tyler Johnsonamong the top right-shot centers available.

In terms of retaining his UFAs on expiring deals, Waddell said that keeping his group of defensemen intact is one of his top priorities. “We haven’t sat down to prioritize player by player, but we know we’d like to try to keep as much of our defense together. We think we have one of the best d-corps in the league,” he said (via the team’s Walt Ruff). Among their top six players at the position, Jalen Chatfield, Brett Pesce and Brady Skjei are without contracts next season. Chatfield may be a solid bet to re-sign, but Skjei is arguably the highest-value defenseman on the market and reports last week indicated Pesce has likely priced himself out of Carolina.

When asked about his situation between the pipes, Waddell also wouldn’t rule out trading one of his three netminders under one-way contracts next season (Frederik Andersen, Pyotr Kochetkov, Spencer Martin). He stopped short of saying they were actively seeking to make a move to upgrade after Andersen cooled off with a .895 SV% in 10 postseason games but did say they would explore a move if an opportunity to improve at the position arose. Moving the 24-year-old Kochetkov is likely out of the question – he made a career-high 42 appearances for the Canes in the regular season with a strong .911 SV% and is signed for three more seasons at a $2MM cap hit.

Elsewhere out of Carolina:

Waddell also said the team remains interested in bringing over defenseman Alexander Nikishin from Russia for next season and would like to get him signed before the NHL Draft next month (via the North State Journal’s Cory Lavalette). Nikishin, still just 22, is already an Olympic medalist and has led Kontinental Hockey League defensemen in scoring in each of the past two seasons. He’s still under contract with SKA St. Petersburg through next season, though, and would need to buy himself out of the deal to join Carolina. He was named the team’s captain in 2023-24, responding with 17 goals and 56 points in 67 games with a +32 rating. The 6’4″ left-shot defender could comfortably step into a top-four role next season to ease the potential loss of Pesce and/or Skjei.

Depth blue-liner Tony DeAngelo, also a UFA in July, needs hand surgery this summer, Waddell revealed (via Lavalette). After he was bought out by the Flyers last summer, the Hurricanes brought him back for his second stint with the club but used him sparingly during the regular season, playing him for a career-low 14:20 per game in 31 appearances. He stepped into the lineup during their postseason run after Pesce sustained an injury early in the first round against the Islanders, posting two assists and a -1 rating in nine games while averaging 17:03 per game. There’s no timeline for his recovery, but he’s low on Waddell’s list of pending UFAs to re-sign regardless.

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1

Necas would actually be a decent add if Lindholm is gone, depending on his price. Need an actual top 6 winger for Petey. Necas is 6'2, so he's not a smurf. Pesce would be massive. Hopefully Hronek's price goes down.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

No to both these guys. 

Yeah.  Pesce is buyer beware if he’s asking for more than 5 and frankly I can’t see us meeting Necas’ acquisition cost OR cap hit. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I dunno.  Someone who doesn’t require 7+ mill to play 3c

Is Pettersson a center? Didn’t take a single faceoff today. He’s a career 45% win rate maybe we’re better off with Miller and Lindholm center 1 and 2. Pettersson is a top line winger.

7 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Necas would actually be a decent add if Lindholm is gone, depending on his price. Need an actual top 6 winger for Petey. Necas is 6'2, so he's not a smurf. Pesce would be massive. Hopefully Hronek's price goes down.

Necas would be a great add if we can’t retain Lindholm but I’d push for Chandler Stephenson first!

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Necas would be a great add if we can’t retain Lindholm but I’d push for Chandler Stephenson first!

Thing is Petey needs actual wingers. Not centers pushed to the wing. I think that's partially why Lindholm and Petey aren't a seamless pair. They both want to be at center. I'd love Chandler. But if we go after him, I'd trade Petey for those wingers we actually need.

7 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Is Pettersson a center? Didn’t take a single faceoff today. He’s a career 45% win rate maybe we’re better off with Miller and Lindholm center 1 and 2. Pettersson is a top line winger.

EP was on the wing with Miller since Boeser was out.  

Posted (edited)

I’m just gonna say this and likely will be roasted for it, but I do not underestimate the trigger finger of PAJR. If we had serious discussions with teams about EP prior to him being extended, and his new contract for some odd reason involves his first full season without any trade/movement protection, it alludes to me that PAJR want to keep their own options open when it comes to the entire roster, even EP.

Just a very strange aspect of the contract to me given how EP at times has appeared to be unhappy with himself here. 

It’s a reach yes but it’s not speculation, it’s fact that we control him completely next season. 

edit: EP would either have to be 27 or have 7 seasons of NHL experience to have trade protection, hence why it doesn’t start until the 25-26 season of his contract. Currently only played 6 NHL seasons. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

Pesce at 5.5M or Hronek at 7.5M?

I think I'd rather the big physical Pesce with Hughes for the next 3-5 years and save that 2M to give to someone like Lindholm. Hronek was awful in the playoffs despite such a strong regular season which is a real shame, he just wasn't physical enough.

• ThereItIs 1

On 5/19/2024 at 4:56 PM, J-23 said:

Because Pesce is elite defensively 

Outside of the playoffs, I don't want a ton of Canes games. Canes fans seem to be happy he's walking and speak of caution to anyone who signs him stating a pretty sharp decline in his play recently. Obviously I take everything coping fan bases say with a grain of salt, but makes me not sure if Peace is a guy you overpay.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, RWJC said:

I’m just gonna say this and likely will be roasted for it, but I do not underestimate the trigger finger of PAJR. If we had serious discussions with teams about EP prior to him being extended, and his new contract for some odd reason involves his first full season without any trade/movement protection, it alludes to me that PAJR want to keep their own options open when it comes to the entire roster, even EP.

Just a very strange aspect of the contract to me given how EP at times has appeared to be unhappy with himself here. 

It’s a reach yes but it’s not speculation, it’s fact that we control him completely next season. 

edit: EP would either have to be 27 or have 7 seasons of NHL experience to have trade protection, hence why it doesn’t start until the 25-26 season of his contract. Currently only played 6 NHL seasons. 

"Players are only eligible for No Trade or No Movement clauses in years when they meet the eligibility requirements for Unrestricted Free Agency."

That 1 year is because he's not a UFA till the following season. The only reason it starts a year in is because that's the rules set by the CBA

Edit, just saw your edit. Same wave length. Nothing nefarious about the clause, it's just the rules. 

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 1

Suter Miller Boeser

Hoglander Petey Necas

Joshua Lindholm Garland

Podz Blueger Aman/Karlsson 

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Pesce

Zadorov Myers

Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

Would be difficult given our cap situation, I know, but....wow, would that be something. 

16 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Suter Miller Boeser

Hoglander Petey Necas

Joshua Lindholm Garland

Podz Blueger Aman/Karlsson 

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Pesce

Zadorov Myers

Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

Would be difficult given our cap situation, I know, but....wow, would that be something. 

looks great and all, but what did we give up to acquire Necas?

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think I'd rather the big physical Pesce with Hughes for the next 3-5 years and save that 2M to give to someone like Lindholm. Hronek was awful in the playoffs despite such a strong regular season which is a real shame, he just wasn't physical enough.

Pesce isn't that physical. He's an excellent defensive defenseman. Far more reliable than Hronek and his streakiness. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would Hronek really demand 7.5? I think we could get him at around 6 on a 2-3 year bridge deal. 

A bridge deal would give Allvin the flexibility to replace him with Willander if he proves to be NHL top-4 caliber by then. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Hughes - Burns

They can have Hronek and his 8m cap hit.  

And what makes you think we are part of Burns 3 team trade list?   Or that they'd consider trading him either.   Get the why.   We don't need to or should we be considering a 8 x 8 cap hit. 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

And what makes you think we are part of Burns 3 team trade list?   Or that they'd consider trading him either.    

Also the guy is 39 yrs old

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Also the guy is 39 yrs old

Pretty sure Pesce is safe, as in CAR will use their week and give him another go.   Necas is a maybe (Guentzal).    Maybe they still want EP.   Not for AHO though.   He wasn't part of it. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1