[Rumour] Hurricanes Not Expected To Re-Sign Brett Pesce, Martin Necas

Just now, stawns said:

I wouldn't listen to anything those morons say, personally

it's good off-season content lol. gets us talking, doesn't it? haha 

I get that everyone loves Necas, and want him in Canuck colours, but at what cost? Another 1st round in 2025 going the other way? Höglander going the other way? We're a cap strapped team with very little wiggle room to get better. How much is Necas going to cost once his current deal is over? 8M? 

20 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't understand why the Canucks would give up a 20 goal scorer in Höglander, who's only making 1.1M, for players that are making more money. I don't like this move. I think even with his extension (Höglander's), he's not going to be making 5M lol. Still think management can get a pretty good contract for Höglander when his current deal expires. 

"what Carolina prefers"? why would we be in a trade imbalance position with them?

IF we we to consider moving off Hogs, it would have to be a for an ELC or bridge RHD. He's solid value, but not sure he's worth that. 

17 hours ago, Gurn said:

Would Petey approve of them trading for Kot, given his dirty play as a Hab?

Wonder if that was the same knee he had tendinitis on this year

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, stawns said:

I just read an article from EF saying the Canes likely won't buyout Kotkaniemi and they like him, but are open to dealing him, with Vancouver (specifically mentioned) as one of several teams who really liked him.

Is there a deal here with Htonek involved?

Hronek for JK and the Hurricanes 1st pick?

Or

Hronek and Mik

For

JK and Necas?

I think something like this would work but only if we cannot dump Milky with an AHL sweetener or two

JK is a 4.82 cap hit and logged 10 min/game in the playoffs, yes at 23 he has like >50 playoff games but that make things even stranger, with that much h experience at a young age why is he not putting up points and why is he not playing more

I rather pay to dump milky and open cap space 

also CAR would have to add for 2 reasons:

1. Hronek RD is a premium position winger is not

2. JK total money is wayyyyy more than milky 

I say CAR would need to add their 2nd this year at least 

40 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I think something like this would work but only if we cannot dump Milky with an AHL sweetener or two

JK is a 4.82 cap hit and logged 10 min/game in the playoffs, yes at 23 he has like >50 playoff games but that make things even stranger, with that much h experience at a young age why is he not putting up points and why is he not playing more

I rather pay to dump milky and open cap space 

also CAR would have to add for 2 reasons:

1. Hronek RD is a premium position winger is not

2. JK total money is wayyyyy more than milky 

I say CAR would need to add their 2nd this year at least 

I think it's moderately well documented that the Canes are just a very good, very deep team and he's a young guy still developing his game .........he turns 24 in a month and a half.  As with most finnish players, he's solid in all zones, he's over 50% in the dot and he's got room to grow offensively. 

He does most of the things Lindy does, minus the offense which will, hopefully come.........and he's only 60% of the price.  He very much seems like a Tocchet kind of guy

Miller

Petey

Kotkaniemi

Blueger

That's a pretty deep team down the middle

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

it's good off-season content lol. gets us talking, doesn't it? haha 

I get that everyone loves Necas, and want him in Canuck colours, but at what cost? Another 1st round in 2025 going the other way? Höglander going the other way? We're a cap strapped team with very little wiggle room to get better. How much is Necas going to cost once his current deal is over? 8M? 

I'd say it's either straight up or the Canes actually add

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it's moderately well documented that the Canes are just a very good, very deep team and he's a young guy still developing his game .........he turns 24 in a month and a half.  As with most finnish players, he's solid in all zones, he's over 50% in the dot and he's got room to grow offensively. 

He does most of the things Lindy does, minus the offense which will, hopefully come.........and he's only 60% of the price.  He very much seems like a Tocchet kind of guy

Miller

Petey

Kotkaniemi

Blueger

he’s also 4.82mill per until the end of the 29-30 season and with an MNTC for the duration that kicks in after next year. If he doesn’t become what you say he could, then guaranteed you’ll be complaining about us being saddled with another shitty contract. 

Just now, RWJC said:

he’s also 4.82mill per until the end of the 29-30 season and with an MNTC for the duration that kicks in after next year. If he doesn’t become what you say he could, then guaranteed you’ll be complaining about us being saddled with another shitty contract. 

His contract is very buyout friendly if that's the way it goes.  He was 18 goals and 43 points last year with over 50% in the dot.....if they can get him back to that even, hes worth that contract

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

It does make you wonder why, since Kotkaniemi's contract is super buyout friendly, Carolina wouldn't just eat it if they're trying to free up cap space. 

Buyouts are not an option for all franchises, depends on ownership giving the thumbs up, not sure profits made for Carolina but I have a hard time seeing it be even top 20 in the league 

9 minutes ago, Pears said:

It does make you wonder why, since Kotkaniemi's contract is super buyout friendly, Carolina wouldn't just eat it if they're trying to free up cap space. 

Why eat up cap space and real dollars if you can trade a player?  It doesn’t make any sense.

Carolina isn’t just looking to free up cap

space, they are also trying to be better.  Losing years of cap liability is a win.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

Why eat up cap space and real dollars if you can trade a player?  It doesn’t make any sense.

Carolina isn’t just looking to free up cap

space, they are also trying to be better.  Losing years of cap liability is a win.

He's a good, young player on what could be a steal of a deal if a team can get him back on the track he was on..........to do that, he needs opportunity and a system he can thrive in.  I think Vancouver fits that bill

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller

Petey

Kotkaniemi

Blueger

Just thinking on this some more...JK and Raty would be a cool Finnish duo to see on the 3rd line! I'm not a Necas fan but JK I like.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Just thinking on this some more...JK and Raty would be a cool Finnish duo to see on the 3rd line! I'm not a Necas fan but JK I like.

I like Necas, but not at the price it'd take to sign him.  Id prefer a JK deal, with a pick and the cap space 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I like Necas, but not at the price it'd take to sign him.  Id prefer a JK deal, with a pick and the cap space 

For sure, i'm not saying Necas is a bad player. I just think he's gonna cost too much for what he brings. And I'd like to see more size WITH skill in the top 6. Hogz, Suter, Garland all great top 9 forwards but we need some size with that skill to push through tough play off teams.

Unfortunately not many guys like that are available...so maybe Necas is the best bet. At least he has size to him. Kinda tall and rangy build like Petey. 6' 2" 190 lbs

Him and Petey could be a good duo if he could be signed to a fair deal

5 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

For sure, i'm not saying Necas is a bad player. I just think he's gonna cost too much for what he brings. And I'd like to see more size WITH skill in the top 6. Hogz, Suter, Garland all great top 9 forwards but we need some size with that skill to push through tough play off teams.

Unfortunately not many guys like that are available...so maybe Necas is the best bet. At least he has size to him. Kinda tall and rangy build like Petey. 6' 2" 190 lbs

Him and Petey could be a good duo if he could be signed to a fair deal

And necas is no wilting flower, he plays a grittier game than many think.

Both he and JK are just the victims of depth I think 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

His contract is very buyout friendly if that's the way it goes.  He was 18 goals and 43 points last year with over 50% in the dot.....if they can get him back to that even, hes worth that contract

I understand what you’re saying and would be hopefully of the same. I guess my real concern is carrying too many MNTCs for players who rightfully shouldn’t have them. I worry about it handcuffing future plans, but as you mention a buyout could be manageable. Would obviously prefer to avoid any of those going forward if possible 

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Good to hear that about Necas. Watching him in the playoffs and he looked a lot like another Kuzmenko. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

Jarvis has definitely passed them by and deserves a bigger role. I agree. I think they need to resign him too this offseason. Only got so much money to go around.

I think my main beef with Necas is he tends to disappear as the season goes along. He's done it the last few seasons. He comes out of the gate like a cannon, scoring in bunches at pretty much a point per game, then slows down after the all star break and cools off... I know this because i've had him in my hockey pool the last 2 seasons lol.

The tighter the checking it gets, the less he's able to make his flashy plays...which obviously makes sense for a lot of players in this league. He's still young so he's got time to figure it out. But right now he's not worth that money he wants. Maybe him and Petey could figure it out together.

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't understand why the Canucks would give up a 20 goal scorer in Höglander, who's only making 1.1M, for players that are making more money. I don't like this move. I think even with his extension (Höglander's), he's not going to be making 5M lol. Still think management can get a pretty good contract for Höglander when his current deal expires. 

it would be insane to get rid of hoglander in any deal, we'd be even worse off in our top-6, no matter who comes back. hogs is a top6 winger who excels 5 on 5, at 1.1 million dollars. 0 shot we could replace that

im coming around a bit to absorbing kotkaniemi as long as mikheyev went the other way.. i didnt realize that because kotkaniemi is so young, the buyout impact if we ever needed to buy him out would only be 850k a year. 

hronek + mikheyev for necas + kotkaniemi + 2nd round pick would be worth consideirng, if we could land Roy or Demelo in UFA to take the RHD Spot

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

it would be insane to get rid of hoglander in any deal, we'd be even worse off in our top-6, no matter who comes back. hogs is a top6 winger who excels 5 on 5, at 1.1 million dollars. 0 shot we could replace that

im coming around a bit to absorbing kotkaniemi as long as mikheyev went the other way.. i didnt realize that because kotkaniemi is so young, the buyout impact if we ever needed to buy him out would only be 850k a year. 

hronek + mikheyev for necas + kotkaniemi + 2nd round pick would be worth consideirng, if we could land Roy or Demelo in UFA to take the RHD Spot

I like necas, but I'd prefer a deal with just JK.  I'd like to see a first come back, but if you add Mik, there'd be no pick 

• Like 1

For me, if we’re losing Lindholm to UFA and potentially dealing Hronek and shelling out big $$$ for the top 6 addition, I’d prefer we go all in and secure a guaranteed 1st line C/W for EP. Not a potentially solid top 6 guy, but someone already bonafide and proven. 

Its thrown about a lot but a Brady Tkachuk added to our roster would be an immense boost and greatly improve the strength of our cup window while also fulfilling every aspect of what we’re desiring as an addition. 

im not sure we want to be taking on too many teams “castoffs” when we have such an opportunity to capitalize.

the money spent between Necas and KK could equate to two excellent adds to our roster.

id be willing to send Hronek, Lek, Podz, another B level prospect and a 1st round pick for Tkachuk and Zub. Both are under contract with term left and equate to the same cost as Necas (extended) and KK. We extend Blueger to play 3C and also provide Raty a chance to earn some reps in the 4C spot. We’d have enough $ left over to extend Z, Joshua, Silovs, and still shop for a solid UFA RHD to support QH as well as a few other assets. 

we then move out Mik or give him his chance to redeem as RW on the top line with EP and BT.

our D pairings would equate to QH+Zub (or UFA) or Zad+Zub (Zub is 60% cost of Hronek), Soucy+Myers (team friendly discount). Add Juulsen and a veteran depth Dman with size and grit and we are looking good.

id rather we go a route like this than try to reclaim some guys at what might still end up being an overpay (especially when factoring in cost to acquire + salary).

regardless, I’m happy either way, especially as it’s looking like we’re finally going to properly support EP.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, RWJC said:

For me, if we’re losing Lindholm to UFA and potentially dealing Hronek and shelling out big $$$ for the top 6 addition, I’d prefer we go all in and secure a guaranteed 1st line C/W for EP. Not a potentially solid top 6 guy, but someone already bonafide and proven. 

Its thrown about a lot but a Brady Tkachuk added to our roster would be an immense boost and greatly improve the strength of our cup window while also fulfilling every aspect of what we’re desiring as an addition. 

I'd love BT on this team!! But part of me wonders if he's US bound like his bro?

He is exactly what this team needs...but I don't dare think about it because there is no way we can have nice things like that in Canuck land....

Call me crazy but i'd totally trade Petey for Brady and then sign Lindholm as our 2 C

That move alone would really push our club further into the playoffs imo. 

4 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I'd love BT on this team!! But part of me wonders if he's US bound like his bro?

He is exactly what this team needs...but I don't dare think about it because there is no way we can have nice things like that in Canuck land....

Call me crazy but i'd totally trade Petey for Brady and then sign Lindholm as our 2 C

That move alone would really push our club further into the playoffs imo. 

I have had all the same thoughts 

• Cheers 1