[Rumour] Hurricanes Not Expected To Re-Sign Brett Pesce, Martin Necas

16 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I'd love BT on this team!! But part of me wonders if he's US bound like his bro?

He is exactly what this team needs...but I don't dare think about it because there is no way we can have nice things like that in Canuck land....

Call me crazy but i'd totally trade Petey for Brady and then sign Lindholm as our 2 C

That move alone would really push our club further into the playoffs imo. 

Yes rumour was going around that he preferred NJD as a destination.

that said, we have QH and the Hughes’ and Tkachuk’s have a solid bond. That makes me hopeful it would work. I also don’t think it would take EP as a return in trade. We would obviously have to send serious value their way, and it might deplete our prospect pool and picks for the short term, but the value extracted from BT on this team would likely be worth it. 
I’m not sold on any prospect, especially one that has a limitation in size on a F squad already lacking. I realize we need goals but that’s still not a guarantee. What we also need more of is heart, leadership and durability. Expecting Lek to step in and just provide a solid running mate for EP, while still learning the game, is a recipe for repeating the same experience with EP…asking him to carry his line and hopefully the others benefit. He needs a complimentary player NOW. Not in 2 years 

• Thanks 1

you don't hear a tone of players pushing to keep Hronek like you heard JT miller and Demko joking with the media about trying their best to keep Lindholm, Hughes loves Tanev, that is obvious and RT loves him some Zads and Myers... 

Hronek to CAR for Necas and 2024 2nd (RD is the premium position)

Cap space is 23.7

Milky + Podkolzin to CHI for NYI 2nd 2024, CHI 6th they can always flip Milky in a year for picks 

Cap space 28.5

Lindholm 6.5 x 8

Necas 6x 3

Tanev 4.25 x 3

Zads 5.25x5

Myers 2.75 x3

Silovs 1.5

Bluegger 1.25x4

Joshua 3x6 yrs 

= 28.5

BOOM

Petey Lindy Necas

Hogz Miller Brock

Joshua Bluegger Garland

Suter Aman PDG

Hughes Tanev

Zads Myers

Soucy Juulsen 

lots of options 

Demko

Silovs

-can use Lindy between Joshua and Garland as well for the best "3rd line" in the league

- Also, Lekkeremaki could make the lineup at some point...this year, Wallander and D Petey year after 

Suter Miller Brock

Hogz Petey Necas

Joshua Lindy Lekkeremaki

PDG Aman Garland

Picks:  50th, 60th, 93rd, then round 6 x 3 and round 7 = 7 picks again 

31 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Yes rumour was going around that he preferred NJD as a destination.

that said, we have QH and the Hughes’ and Tkachuk’s have a solid bond. That makes me hopeful it would work. I also don’t think it would take EP as a return in trade. We would obviously have to send serious value their way, and it might deplete our prospect pool and picks for the short term, but the value extracted from BT on this team would likely be worth it. 
I’m not sold on any prospect, especially one that has a limitation in size on a F squad already lacking. I realize we need goals but that’s still not a guarantee. What we also need more of is heart, leadership and durability. Expecting Lek to step in and just provide a solid running mate for EP, while still learning the game, is a recipe for repeating the same experience with EP…asking him to carry his line and hopefully the others benefit. He needs a complimentary player NOW. Not in 2 years 

All good points.

I actually forgot Quinn and BT are best buds! There could be a chance it could work.

I do wonder about BT and Petey on a line tho...I feel like there may be too much ego there...lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

He's a good, young player on what could be a steal of a deal if a team can get him back on the track he was on..........to do that, he needs opportunity and a system he can thrive in.  I think Vancouver fits that bill

All reports seem to be that he wants to get paid like a 1st liner and you are looking at $7 million ish for him with term.

That isn’t a steal of a deal, especially when it costs you serious assets to end up paying what is effectively full market rate or more for him.

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

For me, if we’re losing Lindholm to UFA and potentially dealing Hronek and shelling out big $$$ for the top 6 addition, I’d prefer we go all in and secure a guaranteed 1st line C/W for EP. Not a potentially solid top 6 guy, but someone already bonafide and proven. 

Its thrown about a lot but a Brady Tkachuk added to our roster would be an immense boost and greatly improve the strength of our cup window while also fulfilling every aspect of what we’re desiring as an addition. 

im not sure we want to be taking on too many teams “castoffs” when we have such an opportunity to capitalize.

the money spent between Necas and KK could equate to two excellent adds to our roster.

id be willing to send Hronek, Lek, Podz, another B level prospect and a 1st round pick for Tkachuk and Zub. Both are under contract with term left and equate to the same cost as Necas (extended) and KK. We extend Blueger to play 3C and also provide Raty a chance to earn some reps in the 4C spot. We’d have enough $ left over to extend Z, Joshua, Silovs, and still shop for a solid UFA RHD to support QH as well as a few other assets. 

we then move out Mik or give him his chance to redeem as RW on the top line with EP and BT.

our D pairings would equate to QH+Zub (or UFA) or Zad+Zub (Zub is 60% cost of Hronek), Soucy+Myers (team friendly discount). Add Juulsen and a veteran depth Dman with size and grit and we are looking good.

id rather we go a route like this than try to reclaim some guys at what might still end up being an overpay (especially when factoring in cost to acquire + salary).

regardless, I’m happy either way, especially as it’s looking like we’re finally going to properly support EP.

Ottawa needs improved goaltending.  Silovs would be an attractive piece for them.

Tkachuk and Zub would be amazing targets.  Not sure what that does to our depth and would have to see how it fits under the cap.

Tkachuk-Petterson-XX

XX-Miller-Boeser

Podkolzin-Suter-Garland

Karlsson-Aman-PDG

Hughes-Tanev

Zadorov-Zub

Soucy-Myers

Juulsen

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Provost said:

All reports seem to be that he wants to get paid like a 1st liner and you are looking at $7 million ish for him with term.

That isn’t a steal of a deal, especially when it costs you serious assets to end up paying what is effectively full market rate or more for him.

I'm talking about Kotkaniemi, whom EF says the Canucks are interested in

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

In a perfect world, I would love to see the following....

Hronek for Necas (1 for 1) ... takes care of our top 6 winger needs for Petey and adds size & elite speed to our line up.

Hronek wants $7.5 -$8 million and Necas will probably be $6.5-$7 million so there might be a little savings. 

Mik & Hoglander & mid round pick for David Jiracek...creates cap space while adding depth (RD), youth and size for under a million bucks till 2025-2026

We need to add to our RD position if we lose Hronek while we wait another season or two for Willander.

I'd hate to lose Hoglander but he might be the trade asset we need in order to move Mikheyev contract. 

We'd free up roughly $4.95 million that we could use to resign...some of our UFA's. 

Hopefully we promote from within to fill the roster spot created by Mik's departure....Podz, Bains or Lek if he's ready. 

Oddly enough...Hronek, Necas & Jiracek are all Czech players 

Edited by Blitz-Pix

3 hours ago, canucks curse said:

you don't hear a tone of players pushing to keep Hronek like you heard JT miller and Demko joking with the media about trying their best to keep Lindholm, Hughes loves Tanev, that is obvious and RT loves him some Zads and Myers... 

Cap space is 23.7

Milky + Podkolzin to CHI for NYI 2nd 2024, CHI 6th they can always flip Milky in a year for picks 

Cap space 28.5

Lindholm 6.5 x 8

Necas 6x 3

Tanev 4.25 x 3

Zads 5.25x5

Myers 2.75 x3

Silovs 1.5

Bluegger 1.25x4

Joshua 3x6 yrs 

= 28.5

BOOM

Petey Lindy Necas

Hogz Miller Brock

Joshua Bluegger Garland

Suter Aman PDG

Hughes Tanev

Zads Myers

Soucy Juulsen 

lots of options 

Demko

Silovs

-can use Lindy between Joshua and Garland as well for the best "3rd line" in the league

- Also, Lekkeremaki could make the lineup at some point...this year, Wallander and D Petey year after 

Suter Miller Brock

Hogz Petey Necas

Joshua Lindy Lekkeremaki

PDG Aman Garland

Like this but can’t see us giving 6 years to Joshua. Maybe 3?

and I’d imagine we’d stack the top 6 and have Lindholm center EP and Necas.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Cap space is 23.7

Cap space 28.5

Lindholm 6.5 x 8

Necas 6x 3

Tanev 4.25 x 3

Zads 5.25x5

Myers 2.75 x3

Silovs 1.5

Bluegger 1.25x4

Joshua 3x6 yrs 

= 28.5

BOOM

Petey Lindy Necas

Hogz Miller Brock

Joshua Bluegger Garland

Suter Aman PDG

Hughes Tanev

Zads Myers

Soucy Juulsen 

lots of options 

Demko

Silovs

Suter Miller Brock

Hogz Petey Necas

Joshua Lindy Lekkeremaki

PDG Aman Garland

I think Lindholm, Necas, Tanev and even Myers will get more than your suggesting.

Lindy $7.5-$8  million

Necas $6.5-$7 million 

Tanev $4.5-$5 million 

Myers $3.25-$3.75 million  

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 2

Not really understanding why everyone is so crazy about Necas. Not sure how familiar you are with the player but he literally might turn into a Kuzmenko 2.0.

The reason he isn’t working out In Carolina is the same reason Kuzmenko didn’t work here. But if that kid plays to his full potential you gotta a steal, but if our window is now Guentzal is the safe pick not to mention probably the more productive pick, also giving up on Hronek might be a massive mistake(I know he had a rough second half)

13 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

it would be insane to get rid of hoglander in any deal, we'd be even worse off in our top-6, no matter who comes back. hogs is a top6 winger who excels 5 on 5, at 1.1 million dollars. 0 shot we could replace that

im coming around a bit to absorbing kotkaniemi as long as mikheyev went the other way.. i didnt realize that because kotkaniemi is so young, the buyout impact if we ever needed to buy him out would only be 850k a year. 

hronek + mikheyev for necas + kotkaniemi + 2nd round pick would be worth consideirng, if we could land Roy or Demelo in UFA to take the RHD Spot

We really don’t know Hog’s full upside yet. It took him half the season to gain Tocchet’s trust. He could easily be a + 30 goal scorer with a strong physical edge. We also don’t know how he matures in his Cup play. This year he struggled. Hogs has a strong pedigree coming out of Sweden. If the decision is to move him he should bring a very solid return. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

We really don’t know Hog’s full upside yet. It took him half the season to gain Tocchet’s trust. He could easily be a + 30 goal scorer with a strong physical edge. We also don’t know how he matures in his Cup play. This year he struggled. Hogs has a strong pedigree coming out of Sweden. If the decision is to move him he should bring a very solid return. 

it just feels like we cant be trading away the rare outperformers that we draft. These are the types of players we can get locked up on long term value deals with minimal risk b/c theyve done all their development in our system. Hes young and will only get better over the next couple seasons. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Not really understanding why everyone is so crazy about Necas. Not sure how familiar you are with the player but he literally might turn into a Kuzmenko 2.0.

The reason he isn’t working out In Carolina is the same reason Kuzmenko didn’t work here. But if that kid plays to his full potential you gotta a steal, but if our window is now Guentzal is the safe pick not to mention probably the more productive pick, also giving up on Hronek might be a massive mistake(I know he had a rough second half)

Necas is a far better two way player than Kuz.  Hes more like Petey than Kuz, as far as defensive acumen goes

• Cheers 2

23 hours ago, Pears said:

It does make you wonder why, since Kotkaniemi's contract is super buyout friendly, Carolina wouldn't just eat it if they're trying to free up cap space. 

Cheapie owner 

• ThereItIs 1

22 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I'd love BT on this team!! But part of me wonders if he's US bound like his bro?

He is exactly what this team needs...but I don't dare think about it because there is no way we can have nice things like that in Canuck land....

Call me crazy but i'd totally trade Petey for Brady and then sign Lindholm as our 2 C

That move alone would really push our club further into the playoffs imo. 

One thing no one explains is why in the world Ottawa trades their best player and captain........ especially for a guy with an eight year, $11.6m contract

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, stawns said:

One thing no one explains is why in the world Ottawa trades their best player and captain........ especially for a guy with an eight year, $11.6m contract

Because there is rumour/speculation going around that he’s unhappy and would welcome a trade. 6 seasons without even a taste of the playoffs and playing an average of 75 games per. 

btw, I’m not condoning moving EP for him, but I’d back up a Brinks truck for his services. 

Edited by RWJC

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sure a 100 point Selkie level number one centre for a 60 point career huge minus winger. And Ottawa says no? LMAAOAV 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Apparently like RWJC said, the word on the street is he’s looking for a trade.

Plus it’s offseason now so rosterbation begins big time now…

Don’t be ashamed, we all do it 😇

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, RWJC said:

Because there is rumour/speculation going around that he’s unhappy and would welcome a trade. 6 seasons without even a taste of the playoffs and playing an average of 75 games per. 

btw, I’m not condoning moving EP for him, but I’d back up a Brinks truck for his services. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5521952/2024/05/27/hurricanes-senators-tkachuk-necas-trade-rumors/

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Mega deals never happen but it would sure be nice to pull something along the lines of Hronek for Necas, Kotkaniemi and maybe then we sign Pesce. 

Obviously at that point Lindholm walks… but I can’t see us outbidding Boston for him. 

We get a lot younger and more skilled up front.. but I’m not as sure about Pesce as a Hronek replacement.  

I guess there’s Roy, Hakanpaa, Tanev.. a lot of older guys who will still command substantial contracts.  

Trading Hronek is a big gamble.. but the shakeup up front could pay off big time… for a long time.

Edited by The Duke

38 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Mega deals never happen but it would sure be nice to pull something along the lines of Hronek for Necas, Kotkaniemi and maybe then we sign Pesce. 

Obviously at that point Lindholm walks… but I can’t see us outbidding Boston for him. 

We get a lot younger and more skilled up front.. but I’m not as sure about Pesce as a Hronek replacement.  

I guess there’s Roy, Hakanpaa, Tanev.. a lot of older guys who will still command substantial contracts.  

Trading Hronek is a big gamble.. but the shakeup up front could pay off big time… for a long time.

I think Pesce fits in well to RT's vision of a dcorp.  Big, mobile and very good defenders.  They don't really have to create offense, just be able to move the puck quickly in transition

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Apparently like RWJC said, the word on the street is he’s looking for a trade.

Plus it’s offseason now so rosterbation begins big time now…

Don’t be ashamed, we all do it 😇

giphy_s.gif

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think Pesce fits in well to RT's vision of a dcorp.  Big, mobile and very good defenders.  They don't really have to create offense, just be able to move the puck quickly in transition

Would be nice - he’s not super old.  But he’ll still cost a good chunk and coming off a down year is concerning - not that I follow the Canes at all.  

I do think there’s opportunity to play Hughes with a guy who’s just all around solid but doesn’t command the 7.5-8 Hronek is after and still get very good results. 

Feels like there’s been a ton of opportunity to make moves with Carolina the past few years.  Maybe this is the summer something big happens.

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Pettersson-Necas

Joshua-Bleuger-Garland

Podkolzin-Kotkaniemi-Aman

PDG

Hughes-Pesce

Soucy-Myers
Zadorov-Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

It almost works cap-wise if they can find a way to offload Mikheyev.  I think that’s an easy playoff team but they’d need to make something happen at the deadline (or someone internally really steps up) or both to really contend.