[Report] Alex Formenton, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube & Cal Foote Charged with Sexual Assault in alleged incident during Hockey Canada event

Just now, timberz21 said:

WHAT?!?!?   That's a pretty big generalization IMO.  Sexual assault has broad definition and range.   I'm not a lawyer, but isn't all rape act considered a sexual assault, but not all sexual assault are rape?

In fact, I just read recently that in the case of Trump vs E. Jean Carroll, the jury stopped short finding him guilty of rape, but rather sexual assault instead, because it couldn't be determined if he penetrated her with his "genitals" or something else.  Because the former is the definition of rape in the US, not the latter.

Anyways, not trying to defend these guys, but I'm pretty sure if anyone referred to them as rapist, they'd get a slander lawsuit against them pretty fast.

There is no "rape" in the criminal code of Canada.  It is sexual assault and, yes, there are varying degrees based on different factors

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

How credible is the victim.

Is this going to be another Patrick Kane?

I feel bad victim shaming but it's so common. Before I get attacked I have not followed this story at all.

Credible enough for there to have been a lengthy investigation. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Well I’m glad we don’t have any Canucks wrapped up in this. 

It’s sure is something to have these teams grant a “leave of absence” when they should have been suspended. 

These accused players ought to be removed from the game until the outcome of this matter and if found guilty, they should be banned.

If this goes to trial, it could take a couple years. We are not going to see a resolution for some time. 

So, Alex Formenton, Dillon Dube, Cal Foote, Michael McLeod and Carter Hart have all taken leave of absences.  Sounds pretty much like we have the 5 guys.  Not sure if anyone else will be charged as an onlooker.  I thought Maxime Comtois might be one of the guys, but I guess he wasn't signed because he is just bad at hockey...

One thing to note is out of those 5 players, McLeod and Foote were both signed to new contracts in the summer, the others weren't.  They both play for New Jersey.  So the question becomes what did New Jersey know, or didn't know?  Could it be possible they didn't have a clue or they just took a chance on these guys knowing there may be something up?  

I think an investigation into what New Jersey was thinking is in order...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

There is no "rape" in the criminal code of Canada.  It is sexual assault and, yes, there are varying degrees based on different factors

Edited by timberz21

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

It’s sure is something to have these teams grant a “leave of absence” when they should have been suspended. 

These accused players ought to be removed from the game until the outcome of this matter and if found guilty, they should be banned.

If this goes to trial, it could take a couple years. We are not going to see a resolution for some time. 

Well, there's certainly peripheral connections with foote.  Both as a parent and coach of two players

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

I'd say thats what the loa's amount to.  They won't be back until it's resolved most likely.  I'd bet all 5 have played their last professional hockey game

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The gala was on June 18, well after the junior season ended.  So, Foote wasn't coaching them at the time...

Foote wasn't hired until October, but there's no way he either hasn't been interviewed or will be interviewed about what he knew or didnt know.  There aren't many secrets on a hockey team

5 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

They can't suspend them as they were not under contract at the time.  The LOA's allow them to still get paid while being under investigation and having to go through a trial process that could take up to 2 years...

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, there's certainly peripheral connections with foote.  Both as a parent and coach of two players

Hopefully Adam keeps his professional hat on and carries on his duties.  End of the day, Cal is an adult now.  Doesn't need daddy to be involved.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

They can't suspend them as they were not under contract at the time.  The LOA's allow them to still get paid while being under investigation and having to go through a trial process that could take up to 2 years...

So in other words, we won't be seeing these guys back for a long time.  Yes, I think they'll be back because ... well, you know... Bettman... NHL... blah blah blah.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Foote wasn't hired until October, but there's no way he either hasn't been interviewed or will be interviewed about what he knew or didnt know.  There aren't many secrets on a hockey team

The junior season ended before the gala event.  So, the incident happened after Foote coached them.  The players never returned to Kelowna after the gala.  Dube signed a contract with Calgary in the summer after the gala and Foote signed with Tampa Bay.  Both played in the AHL in 2018...

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, Alex Formenton, Dillon Dube, Cal Foote, Michael McLeod and Carter Hart have all taken leave of absences.  Sounds pretty much like we have the 5 guys.  Not sure if anyone else will be charged as an onlooker.  I thought Maxime Comtois might be one of the guys, but I guess he wasn't signed because he is just bad at hockey...

One thing to note is out of those 5 players, McLeod and Foote were both signed to new contracts in the summer, the others weren't.  They both play for New Jersey.  So the question becomes what did New Jersey know, or didn't know?  Could it be possible they didn't have a clue or they just took a chance on these guys knowing there may be something up?  

I'd just assume that Jersey didn't know as much as some folks think they knew tbh, if things were in the hands of the law and legal system there's a good chance some details weren't set in stone 

Jersey was in a position where both were pending RFA's, they were going to have to sign them sooner or later and it's hard to say whether they knew when the news would drop or not when they extended said players 

At the end of the day it's an easy fix, if either or both players are charged it'll probably be a pretty straightforward termination process 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, Comtois is definitely playing hockey right now.  He just scored for the Chicago Wolves (AHL) the other night.  He's just not signed to an NHL team.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

Don’t put this on his parent / coach. 

There is going to be far reaching fallout within the hockey community beyond these 5 players, there's no doubt about that.  If I know anything about high level hockey players it's that they love to brag about their sexual conquests and think they're untouchable.  

The ripples of the coverup will follow soon 

I'm not saying foote is a part of it, but guaranteed he was either questioned or will be questioned about what he knew.  

• Like 1