[Report] Alex Formenton, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube & Cal Foote Charged with Sexual Assault in alleged incident during Hockey Canada event

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Grow up.

Its really easy to talk big like that... It takes a bigger person to understand how empathy works. Even perpetrators are people too.

I suppose if it was your son, or your dad, or your brother that did this you would feel the same way? Disown them, hate them for the rest of their lives? Go around talking hate towards them? I doubt it.

It's ok to hate what they did, its ok to take a position on the actions, but it takes a much bigger person to look beyond that and see a human and have empathy for them. 

Nope. Rapists, including family, deserve all the disgust I can muster. I have zero sympathy or empathy for rapists.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

There are no “perps” yet just accused. 

Each player has different levels of involvement as well. One agent claims that their client simply walked in on it and didn’t know what they were witnessing (whether you believe that or not)

Lots more info still to come out of this.

If there's a victim, there's a perpatrator

Just now, stawns said:

If there's a victim, there's a perpatrator

Yes but you’re claiming that he has connections to “two of the perps” when you don’t know if they are or aren’t. 

Let’s wait for the justice system to decide who is a perpetrator and who isn’t.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Possibly, but that doesn't mean this is all going to wrap up in the next couple weeks, or even months.

Wow what an awesome response by Tocchet. Off the cuff like that. Damn right he is standing tall. Neither Adam or the Canucks organization have any reason to hang their head.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yes but you’re claiming that he has connections to “two of the perps” when you don’t know if they are or aren’t. 

Let’s wait for the justice system to decide who is a perpetrator and who isn’t.

Fair, until the names are released.  But I think it's pretty obvious, no?  When the police tell you to surrender, you are being arrested

4 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Nope. Rapists, including family, deserve all the disgust I can muster. I have zero sympathy or empathy for rapists.

I didn't know they were being charged with rape... or did you intentionally add that to make you seem morally righteous?

I also don't have sympathy for murderers... should we just accuse them of that too?

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nope, but they do with teammates and do you think coaches don't know the gossip?  I'm a teacher and I know most of what the kids in my class are up to, both in school and away from it.

There have been too many scandals, too many cover ups not to turn over every rock.  Highly doubtful anything comes from it, but like it or not, Foite is wrapped up in this on two fronts

I think you are reaching here. 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

You can feel empathy for the victim and the perpetrator of the crime and especially for the families on both sides.  Empathy doesn't mean you excuse their behavior 

Some people are not emotionally mature enough to understand the concept of empathy.

Just now, Grandmaster said:

I think you are reaching here. 

How so?  Foote is the father of one and was the coach of two in the months following the incident.  He was the adult closest to two of the players involved, like it or not he is involved

That doesn't imply guilt in anyway, but he is directly connected to it

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There are no “perps” yet just accused. 

Each player may have different levels of involvement as well. One agent claims that their client simply walked in on it and didn’t know what they were witnessing (whether you believe that or not)

Lots more info still to come out of this.

This is going to be a long investigation, court trial, and all the correct info will come out in that trial. This is going to get ugly before it gets to a verdict. Not a good look for any of those players right now, but until a verdict is reached, we can all argue back and forth without any knowledge of what went on. 17 - 20 year old kids should know better than to be put in this situation to begin with, jmo! These kids were selected by Hockey Canada for their leadership qualities, their demeanor, their skill, and their ability to play at the highest level Junior Hockey allows. The vetting committee needs to be fired if any of these guys are found guilty.

Edited by Johngould21
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Fair, until the names are released.  But I think it's pretty obvious, no?  When the police tell you to surrender, you are being arrested

There’s levels of charges though.

Some charges ended up getting dropped some end up leading to community service. 

Being arrested does not necessarily mean the player had direct involvement in the assault.

Just now, Johngould21 said:

This is going to be a long investigation, court trial, and all the correct info will come out in that trial. This is going to get ugly before it gets to a verdict. Not a good look for any of those players right now, but until a verdict is reached, we can all argue back and forth without any knowledge of what went on. 17 - 20 year old kids should know better than to be put in this situation to begin with, jmo!

The bulk of the investigation is done.  I'm sure they'll be digging deeper for other involvement, but if they arrest these players, they've got the best evidence from an investigation already conducted

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

There’s levels of charges though.

Some charges ended up getting dropped some end up leading to community service. 

Being arrested does not necessarily mean the player had direct involvement in the assault.

There are, 100% agree.  Nonetheless, they are still perpetrators of an alleged crime that has been investigated.  Obviously it is deemed, by police, that a crime has been committed if they are arrested

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

Are you being serious?  If convicted, they are going to prison, likely for at least 5 years

Exactly. If found guilt they will serve time, never play pro hockey again, and probably get regular jobs where they don't look too hard into your background. Contrary to many opinions, their lives are not over, just their careers.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Do you think players don't brag about their sexual conquests?   I'll save you the time, they definitely do.  My guess is all coaches of players involved have either been interviewed or will be interviewed to see what they did or didnt know.  Foote was the coach of 40% of the players involved.  It's definitely relevant to the discussion.

Hockey Canada is in for a reckoning and that includes coaches

Yes, believe it or not, I also played high level hockey, and know exactly what goes on in the dressing rooms.

Foote was not their coach when this happened, he was their coach before this happened. Therefore, any dressing room talk would not have happened on his team, and if it did, at that point it is second hand information, as neither of the players were in the dressing room anymore. He could have asked Cal about it, but pretty sure most kids don't openly discuss their sexual escapades with their kids.

There definitely is a possibility that Adam was interviewed, but it's REALLY far-fetched that he had any information about it.

• Cheers 2

Just now, StrayDog said:

Exactly. If found guilt they will serve time, never play pro hockey again, and probably get regular jobs where they don't look too hard into your background. Contrary to many opinions, their lives are not over, just their careers.

That's a fair point, yes

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

There are, 100% agree.  Nonetheless, they are still perpetrators of an alleged crime that has been investigated.  Obviously it is deemed, by police, that a crime has been committed if they are arrested

There was definitely a crime no doubt.

But that doesn’t mean we are close to finding out who is directly responsible. There is likely going to be a long trial.

Just now, greenbean30 said:

Yes, believe it or not, I also played high level hockey, and know exactly what goes on in the dressing rooms.

Foote was not their coach when this happened, he was their coach before this happened. Therefore, any dressing room talk would not have happened on his team, and if it did, at that point it is second hand information, as neither of the players were in the dressing room anymore. He could have asked Cal about it, but pretty sure most kids don't openly discuss their sexual escapades with their kids.

There definitely is a possibility that Adam was interviewed, but it's REALLY far-fetched that he had any information about it.

He was their coach after it happened.  He was hired in October of 2018

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

You can feel empathy for the victim and the perpetrator of the crime and especially for the families on both sides.  Empathy doesn't mean you excuse their behavior 

I did not mean the family of the rapists. I mean if the rapist is a member of my family. I have a great amount of sympathy for the victim and the families of the victim and perpetrators.