[Report] Alex Formenton, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube & Cal Foote Charged with Sexual Assault in alleged incident during Hockey Canada event

There's an entire police report containing the victims account and some of what the players said. The names are redacted of course but it's a nasty read from what has been shown publicly.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Grandmaster said:

Just heard now that there were 8 players in the room.

So, if we're to take that at face value, at least they're not just charging everyone who was in that group. I think that is definately something to consider.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

Wow. It doesn't cover the crime. It prevents the Disclosure of information from those involved in Part of the crime.

Been through this a few times. Your comment needs a more thought on procedure of application of DNA.

You can literally not use an NDA to cover or hide a crime in Canada, it is not enforceable in anyway, You can make someone sign one pay them out and they can still go to the RCMP  and the media with zero repercussions because they're is no NDA that is enforceable by law to cover a crime in Canada. What is so goddamn hard to grasp about this.

Wish people like you would spend as much time actually educating yourselves as you do spreading pure bull shit. I'm getting sick of the never ending and growing pure ignorance.

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You can literally not use an NDA to cover or hide a crime in Canada, it is not enforceable in anyway, You can make someone sign one pay them out and they can still go to the RCMP  and the media with zero repercussions because they're is no NDA that is enforceable by law to cover a crime in Canada. What is so goddamn hard to grasp about this.

Wish people like you would spend as much time actually educating yourselves as you do spreading pure bull shit. I'm getting sick of the never ending and growing pure ignorance.

Not to mention that crowd seems to insist on bringing the discussion outside the political threads it belongs in.  This is a serious topic.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So, if we're to take that at face value, at least they're not just charging everyone who was in that group. I think that is definately something to consider.

It could be that they're watching. There could be different scenarios that happened in that room, which I'm not comfortable speculating. However, all it takes is for the woman to retract the consent and the whole thing should've ended. With the text to the woman on the next day, they evidently didn't secure consent and that suggests guilt (not meaning this as a guilty plea). That's pretty damning.

Edited by PureQuickness

Just finished watching the entire press conference. Not surprised by what happened overall and how the police very cagey with the information, but one interesting piece was when the Detective Sergeant revealed that other players on the World Junior team have had "varying" levels of cooperation with the investigation.  

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Just finished watching the entire press conference. Not surprised by what happened overall and how the police very cagey with the information, but one interesting piece was when the Detective Sergeant revealed that other players on the World Junior team have had "varying" levels of cooperation with the investigation.  

Anyone who didn't cooperate fully should be banned for life from representing Canada.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

I guess I can understand why the teams wouldn't be punished if they didn't know about this ahead of time. 

I mean, sure.. but assault = cap relief but player assistance program = no cap relief? How does this make sense?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

unless someone in the organization knew and signed them anyway. But I haven't head about anything like that.

I'm assuming a lot of actual information has been tied up in the legal process and that all they could assume was there's a chance 

Some of these guys have also been on deals for a while, during investigative processing no doubt

11 minutes ago, Dom said:

I mean, sure.. but assault = cap relief but player assistance program = no cap relief? How does this make sense?

It probably comes down to the CBA or other previously established rules/agreements, not some arbitrary league decision made up on the spot.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Dom said:

Because penalizing the teams would imply that the teams did something wrong. The league would pretty much be incriminating itself at that point.

If the league or one of its teams actually did something shady, this is one way to  help cover it up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

You can not use any NDA to cover up a crime in Canada. Enough with this BS lunatic Right Wing Maga wannabe garbage. 

lol what does usage of a NDA have to do with "lunatic right wing maga garbage" - you seem triggered by imaginary boogey men. Leave the politics elsewhere.

NDA's are part of settlements. I am guessing our friend may have meant "settlement that was under NDA".  In civil settlements there is usually an agreement that the person will not come after the other "criminally".

There was a settlement here, and I am not sure who brought the case back to the police but I don't believe it was the victim. This is why they are now able to be charged criminally.

Go smoke a joint man

• Confused 2
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bardown said:

lol what does usage of a NDA have to do with "lunatic right wing maga garbage" - you seem triggered by imaginary boogey men. Leave the politics elsewhere.

NDA's are part of settlements. I am guessing our friend may have meant "settlement that was under NDA".  In civil settlements there is usually an agreement that the person will not come after the other "criminally".

There was a settlement here, and I am not sure who brought the case back to the police but I don't believe it was the victim. This is why they are now able to be charged criminally.

Go smoke a joint man

The politics were brought up by the guy who brought up the made up Trudeau using an NDA to cover up assaulting minor, (Which btw is a Right Wing talking point) Not me, so maybe before butting in and telling me to leave the politics out of here read the conversation...

Further before being a smart ass.  NDA's CAN NOT COVER OR HIDE a crime. NDA's can be put in AFTER judgement but can NOT be used to hide or cover up a crime

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Slegr said:

That’s interesting. Did we get cap relief with the Virtanen trial?

I believe the Canucks bought out Virtanen's deal pretty immediately after the allegations were made public, therefore no leave of absence was rendered.

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, 112 said:

I believe the Canucks bought out Virtanen's deal pretty immediately after the allegations were made public, therefore no leave of absence was rendered.

Yup he was suspended then terminated almost immediately, between the legal issues being out of shape and consistently underperforming they were probably  sick of his shit at that point and just cut losses, they saved 2.5mill out of 3mill anyways 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

How is it “quite obvious”? Just because someone gets charged, that doesn’t mean automatically that he did it. We have court for a reason. There is a LOT we don’t know. 

With pretty basic knowledge of the statistics behind sexual assault actually making it this far in the criminal justice system, it's an entirely fair statement to say there is pretty conclusive evidences of some serious wrong doings if charges are being laid this far after the night in question. Not really rocket science.