[Report] Alex Formenton, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube & Cal Foote Charged with Sexual Assault in alleged incident during Hockey Canada event

20 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Perhaps there needs to be more pressure from the media. At this point NHL is harbouring and allowing sexual predators to make millions of dollars.

Almost certainly (considering the long delay in releasing names) there’s at least one bee big named player who is important to one team’s revenues. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

This is frankly getting silly.  They know all the who, what, where, and how by now.  They will have consulted all the lawyers about penalties, possible civil litigation, etc.

Why not release it in the middle of summer so the story dies down before the season and affected teams can adjust their rosters.

There are absolutely players with a a cloud over them who didn’t do anything, and there are players on the ice for NHL teams who did do something.

If they are waiting for charges to be laid, that is chicken shit and doesn’t have any basis in labour law.

Criminal convictions need to be proven “beyond a reasonable doubt” and prosecutors won’t pursue cases without a significant likelihood of conviction.

in civil courts and labour relations, you only need to prove something “on the balance of probabilities”, meaning it is slightly more likely that it happened than didn’t happen.

That difference is because the penalties are vastly different.  If you are just “probably” a rapist, throwing you in jail isn’t how the system works.  It is designed to let a lot of guiltily people free to ensure it doesn’t convict an innocent person. That is a feature of the system and not a bug.

If you are “probably” a rapist, it is certainly appropriate and reasonable for an employer to suspend you or terminate your contract.  You aren’t losing your civil liberties or all the fallout a criminal conviction gets you.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Guntrix said:

Refraining from publishing the names in order to avoid ruining a big-name player’s career would really darken the stain. 

Just when you think Hockey Canada can’t get any lower, they really out-do themselves.

Who is the biggest name that played on that club? 

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who is the biggest name that played on that club? 

I don’t want to get myself accused of slander but there’s several players with considerable NHL experience, including one big-name defenseman who now plays on the Avalanche. 

1 hour ago, Guntrix said:

Refraining from publishing the names in order to avoid ruining a big-name player’s career would really darken the stain. 

Just when you think Hockey Canada can’t get any lower, they really out-do themselves.

Is this case still in the hands of the London police? If the police have not released any names why would Hockey Canada? I can't imagine the shit storm that would happen if Hockey Canada released names of players they thought were involved only for the police report to clear those named players.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

ffs.  They're going to cover this up until every player involved has retired from old age 

More like until the players can no longer be prosecuted - ie. after they die.

Speaking of which, I wonder if any members of the media have filed for ATIP release of information related to Hockey Canada and their files in relation to this (and other allegations)?

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Gotta wonder how long an appeal would take

Considering they've had the report for a full year already I'm not optimistic that the appeal process will happen in a timely manner.  The London police need to just go ahead and lay charges if there's enough evidence to do so.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/23/2023 at 10:35 PM, Jeremy Hronek said:

The NHL is a corrupt and garbage league.  

As a Canucks fan that watched the Canucks get constantly screwed by the refs between 2009 and 2013 (and even 2015 was quite fishy with Ferland allowing to perform actions that would have been called charging, boarding, and roughing in most instances), I have no reason but to assume that the NHL is very corrupt.

Do you think Bedard going to Chicago is just coincidence?   Lafrenniere to NYR?  

So yeah......I'm not surprised at all that the league is trying to cover up 2018.  

I only follow the NHL because of the Canucks, but my passion for the sport isn't anywhere near what it was 10-15 years ago.  

💯 I feel exactly the same. NHL and all professional sports has changed from sports to pure business and greed. NHL is 100% managed for profit, which is why No Canadian team has won a cup in 30 years. The Canucks were by far the best team in 2011 and once they went up 2-0 on Boston the NHL decided to change the rules to better suit a bigger more physical Bruins team. 

I still love watching the Canucks and cheer them on but I do so now knowing full well that in the end they will lose.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

On 11/14/2023 at 1:14 PM, Coconuts said:

Gotta wonder how long an appeal would take

The appeal has nothing to do with the actual police investigation.  So, the question becomes are the prosecutors in London going to file charges or not?  The London police most likely referred all of their evidence already to crown counsel and probably recommended charges.  However, it is up to crown counsel to actually file charges...

• Cheers 2