[Report] Alex Formenton, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube & Cal Foote Charged with Sexual Assault in alleged incident during Hockey Canada event

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Yeah, but at the same time, Cal is a 25 years old adult.  He has is own agent and lawyers as well.  Not saying as a father he can't or shouldn't support his son, but he hasn't even been charged yet.  Legal procedures on this could take 3-5 years.  Adam can't just sit home and do nothing during that period.  Probably knew this was coming for a while too.

Andy Reid's son was convicted 5 yeras for drunk driving and he hasn't missed a beat.

You think a DUI is equal to gang rape?

And my post clearly indicated short term following the arrest.  He's his dad, I'd be shocked if he wasn't there to support him

Edited by stawns

1 minute ago, stawns said:

To be fair, I'd expect their mental health is of concern right now.  

I guess you could look at it that way too.  I remember when I first read the tweet i was out to lunch and didnt connect it with what had happened in 2018.  I Read the well wishes and felt bad for the guy...kinda rubs me the wrong way now that i know he might be implicated in this.  Im trying to be objective, he might be innocent or maybe this is all a coincidence (doubtful on that).

10 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Wrong. Don Cherry is a proud Canadian and he would not endorse what went down. His last few years were suspect but he is of a generation that talked and looked at things differently than this generation. It does not make him a piece of shit. He is of a generation that fought wars to defend our freedoms. Do I agree with all he and his generation says? No. Times change and we learn from the past and the peoples that lived it. Calling him a "piece of shit" is out of line. He's a good man, out to lunch on some subjects, but he can fight with me in a trench anytime. 

I'll keep it light here since I don't want to hijack the thread.  Cherry is not part of the generation you are thinking of.  He is part of the silent generation, the one born during the depression/WW2 years.  The WW2 generation you're thinking of (the "Greatest Generation") is all in their late 90s or dead.

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well if you don't think there will be press asking Foote or Tocchet about, what they know about this, you are a better person than me...

They will.  For a minute or two.  But they're not going to keep asking about it as the news continues to develop over the weeks/months/years.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, 5forFighting said:

Do we know the 5? Sounds like Comtois, Hart, Dube?

Based on the lia

Dube

Hart

McLeod

Foote

The 5th is up for speculation but likely comtois or formenton 

Just now, Darius said:

I guess you could look at it that way too.  I remember when I first read the tweet i was out to lunch and didnt connect it with what had happened in 2018.  I Read the well wishes and felt bad for the guy...kinda rubs me the wrong way now that i know he might be implicated in this.  Im trying to be objective, he might be innocent or maybe this is all a coincidence (doubtful on that).

I'd say the police wouldnt be taking this step of they did t have overwhelming evidence

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

I'll keep it light here since I don't want to hijack the thread.  Cherry is not part of the generation you are thinking of.  He is part of the silent generation, the one born during the depression/WW2 years.  The WW2 generation you're thinking of (the "Greatest Generation") is all in their late 90s or dead.

They will.  For a minute or two.  But they're not going to keep asking about it as the news continues to develop over the weeks/months/years.

Yeah, the generation who swept sexual assault of players like Kennedy and fkeury under the rug.  The generation that ran a club like the Portland winterhaeks where it was very clear that the owner and GM was a sexual predator.  The generation that turned a blind eye to hazing and who knows how many rapes of young women.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Safe to assume we know the names now.

Hart, Dube, Foote, McLeod, and Comtois.

I doubt these leave of absences are just a coincidence.

I feel bad for Max Comtois. His name has been dragged through the mud so much and it doesn't appear he was involved.

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Technically the girls identified 8 players, but seems like only 5 will get charged.  There are still 2-3 players that maybe was present but did not participate actively with the girls?  So there may be 2-3 mores guys that faces lesser charge or none.

Comtois might be a "bubble" guy?   Not included yet, but not out of the woods either?

Being there, watching is guilty.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd say the police wouldnt be taking this step of they did t have overwhelming evidence

It's not just police, its Crown counsel. It's not my area, but in BC, and I believe also Ontario, police do not "charge" anyone. Police are required to submit a report to a specialized Crown counsel who looks over the evidence to see if, among other things, the evidence is overwhelming enough to secure a conviction. 

So basically, there is someone who is trained to look at the case and have the evidence that there is an extremely high likelihood of conviction. Combine this with the fact that to mess up this particular case would be a political nightmare, you can bet the house that there is a lot of evidence in the prosecution's favor.

If the players in this case are found not guilty, it's probably because police/Crown effed up some procedure and not because of a lack of evidence. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, ManbeastMARK said:

I feel bad for Max Comtois. His name has been dragged through the mud so much and it doesn't appear he was involved.

That's not necessarily the case.  He may not end up being one of the five charged, but he might be one of the 8 accused by the victim.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

You think a DUI is equal to gang rape?

And my post clearly indicated short term following the arrest.  He's his dad, I'd be shocked if he wasn't there to support him

First of all the allege charges are sexual assaults, not rape.

And the guy seriously hurt a 5 year old girl in the incident (traumatic brain injury), so, that's pretty serious yeah.  He's also convicted, while these guys are only accused, not formally charged yet.

5 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Technically the girls identified 8 players, but seems like only 5 will get charged.  There are still 2-3 players that maybe was present but did not participate actively with the girls?  So there may be 2-3 mores guys that faces lesser charge or none.

Comtois might be a "bubble" guy?   Not included yet, but not out of the woods either?

More likely these 5 are the ones that they feel they have a good chance of convicting, with the possibility of others to be added as the investigation and legal process continues and uncovers enough incriminating evidence for police/prosecutors to take action.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

First of all the allege charges are sexual assaults, not rape.

And the guy seriously hurt a 5 year old girl in the incident (traumatic brain injury), so, that's pretty serious yeah.  He's also convicted, while these guys are only accused, not formally charged yet.

Sexual assault is rape in Canada.  "Rape" hasn't been in the criminal code for 40 years.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Down By the River said:

It's not just police, its Crown counsel. It's not my area, but in BC, and I believe also Ontario, police do not "charge" anyone. Police are required to submit a report to a specialized Crown counsel who looks over the evidence to see if, among other things, the evidence is overwhelming enough to secure a conviction. 

So basically, there is someone who is trained to look at the case and have the evidence that there is an extremely high likelihood of conviction. Combine this with the fact that to mess up this particular case would be a political nightmare, you can bet the house that there is a lot of evidence in the prosecution's favor.

If the players in this case are found not guilty, it's probably because police/Crown effed up some procedure and not because of a lack of evidence. 

^ what he said.  🙃

That's not necessarily the case.  He may not end up being one of the five charged, but he might be one of the 8 accused by the victim.

That's purely speculation though. He doesn't appear to be one of the 5 members charged and he specifically has been attached to this more than most other memebers of the team you could equally speculate about. 

I would remove the word "overwhelming" from this statement. Yes, they have evidence if they are going to be pursuing action, but at this point, they have been asked to go to the police station. They may or may not be charged. And if charged, it's innocent until proven guilty. Police don't always have *overwhelming* evidence before they make an arrest. That's what court is for.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The only thing is hockey Canada already completely overhauled their leadership, and faced criticism from the feds when this story along with the fund for payouts originally came out. 

No doubt there will be another round of public backlash, but what is going to be the next step?

Not sure, but given this and the turmoil at junior A level in Western Canada, a complet disbanding of Hockey Canada could well be in the cards?