[Report] Alex Formenton, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube & Cal Foote Charged with Sexual Assault in alleged incident during Hockey Canada event

Just now, stawns said:

I've told the story a few times here, but when I got to Portland, the veterans took all the new players aside and warned us to never, ever go into the GM's office by ourselves, to always go in with a teammate.  I know of at least two former players who have some severe trauma following their days in Portland

Jesus. Hadn't heard that one before. 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Same era as fluery and Kennedy and those were just the ones to come out.

There didn't use to be a whl draft.  You were recruited and you signed a "card" and became property of said team.  The scout for portland, in the Okanagan, used to bring young players, bantam age, into his hotel room and give them booze........and he was a creeper.  He targeted the kids with broken families or minorities because he could leverage them.  Luckily, I had a string family and a strong personality and he never once made that offer to me, but he did to at least three of my teammates and they never revealed anything that went on, but two have had major mental.heakth issues over the years.

I probably should have known better than to sign with the Hawks, but we had several high profile players from my town go there and have great success.  For our town the winterhaeks were as much our team as our local junior team and wearing that winterhawk jersey was all I wanted to do.

If I recall, I remember seeing were from the same okanagan town… I think I’m a few years behind you but remember a buddy getting drafted by the winterhawks. Guy decided not to go… don’t know if the team was still a shmauzzle then, but maybe it was for the best. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

If I recall, I remember seeing were from the same okanagan town… I think I’m a few years behind you but remember a buddy getting drafted by the winterhawks. Guy decided not to go… don’t know if the team was still a shmauzzle then, but maybe it was for the best. 

I think the draft probably helped because those in power lost some of their leverage.  The owner/gm, Brian Shaw died a couple years after I left.......of lymphoma, but rumour was it was aids related.  He was later accused of making sexual advances, but nothing ever came of it and because he was dead, if was brushed away.

On a related note, my favourite guy, Ray Ferraro went through a few years before me, as did Neely, Glen Wesley and many others 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_C._Shaw

Brian Shaw sitting at desk.jpg

Edited by stawns

I'm noticing language in this thread which seems to diminish the players' culpability for the allegations.

If true, these were mature individuals committing an aggravated sexual assault, not "kids" making "mistakes."

I understand what it's like to be facing time in jail/prison and do have "empathy" for the players; I don't wish a bad existence or suffering on other people, and I wish we had more progressive facilities than we do. But I think the way some people are talking about this really underestimates how fucked in the moral compass someone has to be to commit sexual assault. These players were privileged and spoiled and thought they were above the law, and they showed their characters in their actions that day.

I do hope that one day they can get their lives back and live peacefully in society, but there is a lot of sitting down, thinking and reflecting that needs to happen with those responsible.

This is a tragic story and an absolute embarrassment to any Canadian hockey fan. These players should never have been in any major league to begin with.

... if true :classic_blush:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 112 said:

I'm noticing language in this thread which seems to diminish the players' culpability for the allegations.

If true, these were mature individuals committing an aggravated sexual assault, not "kids" making "mistakes."

I understand what it's like to be facing time in jail/prison and do have "empathy" for the players; I don't wish a bad existence or suffering on other people, and I wish we had more progressive facilities than we do. But I think the way some people are talking about this really underestimates how fucked in the moral compass someone has to be to commit sexual assault. These players were privileged and spoiled and thought they were above the law, and they showed their characters in their actions that day.

I do hope that one day they can get their lives back and live peacefully in society, but there is a lot of sitting down, thinking and reflecting that needs to happen with those responsible.

This is a tragic story and an absolute embarrassment to any Canadian hockey fan. These players should never have been in any major league to begin with.

If you read the CBC article I posted, it certainly sounds like it could be aggravated sexual assault.  In Ontario, ASA carries a minimum term of 7 years and a max of life

Just now, stawns said:

If you read the CBC article I posted, it certainly sounds like it could be aggravated sexual assault.  In Ontario, ASA carries a minimum term of 7 years and a max of life

Yes, I read the article before I posted - I wouldn't have included "aggravated" without your post. 🙂

5 minutes ago, 112 said:

it’s been a few years since I last looked… but there was a time within the last 15 years where it was estimated 1 in 3 women in the US (and our stats aren’t often that different) were the victims of sexual abuse/assault. 

Our societal moral compass isn’t all that great often times. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Interesting are you suggesting these players’ crimes are lesser because it occurred in Ontario? Isn’t gang rape the same super bad thing no matter wher it happens? 

Hand over the scotch.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Interesting are you suggesting these players’ crimes are lesser because it occurred in Ontario? Isn’t gang rape the same super bad thing no matter wher it happens? 

To me, it sounds like aggravated sexual.assault as they had weapons and used intimidation and forced coercion.  Until all the details are revealed, it's hard to say.b it could also be level 2 sexual assault.

Edited by stawns

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Aggravated sexual assault is a very serious crime. I don't get how this can be bought out with hush money from Hockey Canada, or how it has taken this long to press charges. 

4 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Aggravated sexual assault is a very serious crime. I don't get how this can be bought out with hush money from Hockey Canada, or how it has taken this long to press charges. 

According to the CBC, the cops didn't really do much "investigating" in 2019.and just brushed it off.  It wasnt until the hush money account and settlement came out that the shit hit the fan and public outrage forced them to actually do their jobs

Edited by stawns
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

According to the CBC, the cops didn't really do much "investigating" in 2019.and just brushed it off.  It wasnt until the hush money account and settlement came out that the shit hit the fan and public outrage forced them to actually do their jobs

Oh boy, many layers to this story. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

To me, it sounds like aggravated sexual.assault as they had weapons and used intimidation and forced coercion.  Until all the details are revealed, it's hard to say.b it could also be level 2 sexual assault.

I have no true understanding of such a terrible crime but think it must be really bad. Ad an aside, if these guys did this to one of my kids then old Alf might get retribution by doing some very bad things.. so I’m guessing there are family (of the victim) who would do similar. 
And maybe the old “eye for an eye” is actually the right punishment? 

4 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Absolutely it is and on a deeper look, based on the article, it sounds a little more like level 2 sexual assault.......but the definitions don't refer to multiple assailants

"SEXUAL ASSAULT

Common sexual assault describes a sexual assault where the complainant's sexual integrity is violated. This kind of sexual assault does not have to involve any injuries, and if it does, they are only minor injuries.

SEXUAL ASSAULT CAUSING BODILY HARM (LEVEL 2)

This is a step up from the first level and is more likely to come with a heftier sentence. This kind of sexual assault involves sexual assault with a weapon, threats or causing bodily harm.

AGGRAVATED SEXUAL ASSAULT (LEVEL 3)

Aggravated sexual assault is a sexual assault that results in the wounding, maiming, or disfiguring of an individual, or that endangers the life of the victim. 

The maximum sentence is life imprisonment. With a firearm, a minimum mandatory sentence for aggravated sexual assault begins at 5 years in prison."

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Stupid police if that’s the case. Hunt these rapists down and lock them up. 

3 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Holy shit!

I didn't realize the extent of the payouts. 

$7.6 million paid out for 21 sexual misconduct allegations over the years!

Jesus that looks bad. Really bad.

This is not exclusive to the sport of hockey. Basketball, football, etc. have certainly had these kind

of scandals.  A variety of male dominant workplaces has had similar accusations. 

In Canada, we just need to look at the army and police forces (not just RCMP).

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

This is not exclusive to the sport of hockey. Basketball, football, etc. have certainly had these kind

of scandals.  A variety of male dominant workplaces has had similar accusations. 

In Canada, we just need to look at the army and police forces (not just RCMP).

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Anywhere people work or play, you will find sexual assault.

Churches, school, workplaces, soccer fields---- no walk of life is immune from crime.

I don't disagree with either of you, but there has to be something that can be done on the hockey culture front. Over the years this story has been developing, we've learned a lot about Hockey Canada and its approach to these types of situations, and it's not good. We have people growing up in this country being told that they're gods because they can shoot a disc into a net. And they're treated like gods, too. They need to be better educated than this. There has to be an approach to this sort of conduct that nips it in the bud before it's a national disgrace.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, StrayDog said:

My kids are my kids. I do not honestly know that I could stand behind them in such a moment. I will also say I don't know if I could easily turn my back, but I probably would.

If one of my kids was found guilty of rape of course I wouldn’t condone it but I sure as hell would do anything to make sure they came out the other end of it better people and help then any way I could for them to do so.