[Report] Alex Formenton, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube & Cal Foote Charged with Sexual Assault in alleged incident during Hockey Canada event

8 hours ago, 112 said:

I'm noticing language in this thread which seems to diminish the players' culpability for the allegations.

If true, these were mature individuals committing an aggravated sexual assault, not "kids" making "mistakes."

I understand what it's like to be facing time in jail/prison and do have "empathy" for the players; I don't wish a bad existence or suffering on other people, and I wish we had more progressive facilities than we do. But I think the way some people are talking about this really underestimates how fucked in the moral compass someone has to be to commit sexual assault. These players were privileged and spoiled and thought they were above the law, and they showed their characters in their actions that day.

I do hope that one day they can get their lives back and live peacefully in society, but there is a lot of sitting down, thinking and reflecting that needs to happen with those responsible.

This is a tragic story and an absolute embarrassment to any Canadian hockey fan. These players should never have been in any major league to begin with.

... if true :classic_blush:

This forum is a cesspool of old school hockeyheads who think (Canadian) hockey is truly the best thing for everyone and the players can do no wrong.  They typically have a very strong stance against cancel culture and feel the need to defend anyone accused of sexual assault.  "Don Cherry would never have allowed this"

I mean, the first reaction for some here was to feel bad for the accused players.  What the fuck?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

This forum is a cesspool of old school hockeyheads who think (Canadian) hockey is truly the best thing for everyone and the players can do no wrong.  They typically have a very strong stance against cancel culture and feel the need to defend anyone accused of sexual assault.  "Don Cherry would never have allowed this"

I mean, the first reaction for some here was to feel bad for the accused players.  What the fuck?

you're equating feeling empathy for sympathy.  Not a single person here is excusing their behaviour and every person thinks justice needs to be served.  It doesn't mean they aren't human and have painful feelings of their own.  I can empathize and understand those feelings and it doesn't mean I think what they did wasn't horrific and heinous

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Ok CFF detectives... who do we got for 2002-03?

One rumour is Jordin Tootoo. Apparently it's described in his autobiography.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He talks about assaulting someone in his autobiography??? 😕

I didn't read it myself, so I can't really confirm - just parroting what I heard from a comment on a different site.

5 minutes ago, 112 said:

This is the excerpt from Tootoo's book.

It's not a great look but is also sufficiently vague that the rumours may not have substance.

Could be something there, could just be Tootoo being honest, ain't that most young hockey players

If I remember correctly wasn't Hoglander originally found out to be in Vancouver because he was on tinder?

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Ok CFF detectives... who do we got for 2002-03?

There are only a few guys left that age.  Marc-André Fleury is the only active player from Team Canada.  Suter and Ovechkin are the other participants from that tournament.

1 minute ago, 112 said:

This is the excerpt from Tootoo's book.

It's not a great look but is also sufficiently vague that the rumours may not have substance.

I have heard there is/was a video of a bunch of guys running a train on someone who was non-responsive.  Whether that video still exists or has been destroyed is unclear.  Westhead talked about (but hadn't seen) the video on Fifth Estate.  Maybe there's a copy somewhere.

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

As someone who frequently has opposing views to a number of us, you do realize there is no collective group think here, we all have wildly different opinions.

Personally in something like this I am going to first believe the victim.  These young men are put on a platform and treated like royalty above everyone else until their professional careers don't work out.  It is amazing that these things don't come out more than they do when you have a group of young men in a macho culture, surrounded by adults that had much the same experience growing up.  I am sure they happen much more than gets reported but money and power make these things go away most of the time.

I also am not going to make the assumption that there aren't some people that target these young men for exactly these reasons, though clearly this is not the case here.  I am sure the number of NHL players that have fallen into some sort of honeypot situation is staggering.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Hockey has a brutal history with rape. Whether it’s this or even back in the day when Stevens/Ciccarelli/Courtnall/Sheehy gang raped a 17 year old in a limo. All traded after the incident. 

retracted

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

Hockey has a brutal history with rape. Whether it’s this or even back in the day when Stevens/Ciccarelli/Courtnall/Sheehy gang raped a 17 year old. All traded after the incident. Doug Gilmour raping a 13 year old who he was babysitting and then being traded out of St Louis for it. Some of these guys are hall of famers ffs

Hockey culture being cancerous definitely isn't new

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Wow, do you intentionally take what people say and spin it to create your own narrative and try to make yourself feel morally superior? 

Pretty sure no ones first reaction was to feel bad for the accused. Was it part of the discussion? sure. Are they humans also? Sure.. Were a lot of good points raised about human empathy, people making mistakes, you bet. But I challenge you to quote one, or multiple posts where someone is defending their actions, or supportive of their actions, or mention cancel culture, or say in any way that they feel the players are the only victims here. (sure one guy mentioned cherry and that got shut down)

Maybe actually read the posts and consider whats said instead of looking for ways to try and throw people under the bus.

Trust me, if you're devoid of human empathy, youre more of the problem than anyone on this board.

• Cheers 3

Why do I have a feeling we are going to see each of their contracts terminated? I mean the potential P.R. shit storm bringing any of them back will cause........... even if found innocent, that could still happen.

• Like 1