[Report] Alex Formenton, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube & Cal Foote Charged with Sexual Assault in alleged incident during Hockey Canada event

35 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

1000 people weren't posting in that thread.  I could open a new poll today and the numbers won't look great.  Maybe it'll just attract the worst crowd (aka the type of crowd that's gotten themselves banned), but this is indeed a hockey forum - full of older posters with an old-school outlook on life.  

@JayDangles you got like five people calling you out and you had the gall to accuse me of hiding?

Not all us old farts have "old-school outlooks" FWIW 😉 

I think you'll find, just like in real life, there's probably ~10% +/- of the population that are (unfortunately) just archaic, ignorant, bigoted a-holes. I think you'd find the majority of the forum to be more progressive, accepting and supportive. Or at the very least, somewhere in the middle.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

1000 people weren't posting in that thread.  I could open a new poll today and the numbers won't look great.  Maybe it'll just attract the worst crowd (aka the type of crowd that's gotten themselves banned), but this is indeed a hockey forum - full of older posters with an old-school outlook on life.  

@JayDangles you got like five people calling you out and you had the gall to accuse me of hiding?

To be brutally honest, the majority of people today do not know how to debate, discuss and respect each other. It turns into labeling and name calling when people making statements or suggesting things as facts for example cannot handle back and forth or simply cannot back up their statements.

This sadly is becoming more and more prevalent in today's society. The subject being Pride related is highly emotional and it shows in previous threads and discussions.

That said, threads should not be closed or locked, even if behind a screen on a keyboard keeping dialogue open is the best way to move forward.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 1/24/2024 at 12:14 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Their NHL careers are over but they will find employment in Europe or the KHL. Reid Boucher is currently making $700,000 a year in the KHL. Of course he was never charged but no North American professional team would touch him with a barge pole.

What happened with Reid Boucher?

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not all us old farts have "old-school outlooks" FWIW 😉 

I think you'll find, just like in real life, there's probably ~10% +/- of the population that are (unfortunately) just archaic, ignorant, bigoted a-holes. I think you'd find the majority of the forum to be more progressive, accepting and supportive. Or at the very least, somewhere in the middle.

14 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

To be brutally honest, the majority of people today do not know how to debate, discuss and respect each other. It turns into labeling and name calling when people making statements or suggesting things as facts for example cannot handle back and forth or simply cannot back up their statements.

This sadly is becoming more and more prevalent in today's society. The subject being Pride related is highly emotional and it shows in previous threads and discussions.

That said, threads should not be closed or locked, even if behind a screen on a keyboard keeping dialogue open is the best way to move forward.

The problem with some folks today is that they feel entitled to their opinion without the need to back it up with any follow-up or background knowledge.  I'll keep it brief for the purposes of not hijacking this thread.

When Reimer came out against the jersey, a bunch of fans celebrated his choice as freedom of speech.  None of those people followed up on his later comments about Kadri and wearing a theoretical "Muslim jersey".  They didn't care - they got all the info they wanted from that headline and expressed their opinion on it.  Those people are just straight-up stupid.  Eric Staal went out and claimed he never wore a pride jersey when there was literal proof he did.  These are all things that actually happened and the anti-jersey crowd just chose to completely ignore those facts.  The vast majority of anti-jersey folk were completely braindead and trying to debate them was a waste of time/effort.

Which brings us back to the issue at hand.  It's usually the same type of comments: "I have not looked into the details what happened, but I'm going to provide my opinion anyway and look stupid doing it".  I'm not saying you should have Rick Westhead levels knowledge before being able to speak.  But I am saying you should have some humility to put in a bare minimum amount of research before opening your mouth.  It's like going into a book club and trying to talk about the book without even having read the Sparknotes.  Who wants to listen to that person?

7 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

What happened with Reid Boucher?

Report: Former NHLer Reid Boucher sentenced in closed-court sexual assault case

Former NHL player Reid Boucher has been sentenced to four years of probation with one year of suspended jail time, if he successfully completes the probation, in his 2011 sexual assault case Monday, both the now-23-year-old woman at the centre of the case and his lawyer told the Detroit Free Press.

Multiple attempts made by Sportsnet to contact Boucher's attorney, Pamella Szydlak, were not immediately answered.

The sentence comes after Boucher pleaded guilty to third-degree criminal sexual conduct against a minor in a Washtenaw County Trial Court on Dec. 13. He was originally being charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct.

"I'm so glad that even if this wasn't the outcome that I was hoping for, that it worked out in the end, in some capacity," the survivor told the Free Press.

Despite the third-degree charge usually carrying a penalty of up to 15 years in prison, Boucher was sentenced under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act (HYTA), meaning the charge is reduced and he will not be required to register as a sex offender upon completion of his sentence, according to the Detroit Free Press, the first outlet to report on the news.

Under the initial first-degree charge, Boucher would have faced 25 years to life in prison.

According to the Detroit Free Press, Circuit Judge Patrick Conlin let Boucher enter a plea for the lesser charge due to "unusual" circumstances like Boucher's age at the time of the incident and how long ago it happened.

During the hearing on Monday, the Free Press said, Conlin clarified to the survivor that he did not call the case "unusual" because of how long it took her to come forward, as can often happen with sexual assault survivors, but instead that his comment was meant to refer to it being an older case.

The incidents occurred in 2011, when Boucher, then 17, assaulted a 12-year-old girl whose family hosted him as a billet family in Ann Arbor, Mich., when Boucher played for the USA Hockey development program.

"In March of 2011, we spoke to parents of both minors and there were no accusations made, but Boucher was proactively removed from the billet home," a USA Hockey spokesperson told The Athletic. "In March of 2021, we were notified by police of allegations of sexual misconduct and have fully cooperated with their investigation."

Should Boucher break the conditions of his sentence under the HYTA, he could still face a penalty of up to 15 years in prison and the ramification of registering as a sex offender.

After Boucher pleaded to the lesser third-degree charge, the survivor, now 23, said she has dealt with severe trauma, self-harm and substance abuse issues since being assaulted and is "disgusted" by the judge's reasoning, according to the Detroit Free Press.

“I feel like a lot of the progress I’ve made over the last 10 years – that’s been undone," she said.

The survivor also said she wrote a letter to the judge before the December hearing asking him not to make any concessions, she told the Detroit Free Press.

After Boucher's sentencing, the survivor said she was grateful for "some semblance of closure," according to the Detroit Free Press.

The Free Press also reports that Boucher was "prepared to go to trial but made the best choice for his family," according to his lawyer.

Beyond the 2011 incidents, The Athletic's Katie Strang reported on Jan. 21 that two women said Boucher had solicited photos of them when they were teenagers.

One of the occurrences reportedly happened in October 2014 when Boucher, then 21, attempted to solicit photos from a 15-year-old Canadian girl by messaging her through Facebook. The other occurred in January of the same year, when Boucher attempted to solicit photos of a 17-year-old woman in New Jersey, also via Facebook messages.

Boucher, 28, was drafted in the fourth round of the 2011 NHL Draft by the New Jersey Devils. He played in parts of six NHL seasons with the Devils, Nashville Predators and Vancouver Canucks, and now plays for Yaroslavl Lokomotiv of the KHL.

Former Devils general manager and current New York Islanders general manager Lou Lamoriello told The Athletic that he was not aware of the incident before New Jersey drafted Boucher.

"Unequivocally, our organization did not know about this incident," Lamoriello said.

10 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The problem with some folks today is that they feel entitled to their opinion without the need to back it up with any follow-up or background knowledge.  I'll keep it brief for the purposes of not hijacking this thread.

When Reimer came out against the jersey, a bunch of fans celebrated his choice as freedom of speech.  None of those people followed up on his later comments about Kadri and wearing a theoretical "Muslim jersey".  They didn't care - they got all the info they wanted from that headline and expressed their opinion on it.  Those people are just straight-up stupid.  Eric Staal went out and claimed he never wore a pride jersey when there was literal proof he did.  These are all things that actually happened and the anti-jersey crowd just chose to completely ignore those facts.  The vast majority of anti-jersey folk were completely braindead and trying to debate them was a waste of time/effort.

Which brings us back to the issue at hand.  It's usually the same type of comments: "I have not looked into the details what happened, but I'm going to provide my opinion anyway and look stupid doing it".  I'm not saying you should have Rick Westhead levels knowledge before being able to speak.  But I am saying you should have some humility to put in a bare minimum amount of research before opening your mouth.  It's like going into a book club and trying to talk about the book without even having read the Sparknotes.  Who wants to listen to that person?

You're proving @Mike Vanderhoek's point.

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

And you're just being selective.  If one didn't even do your homework, why do they feel the need to speak up?  Answer that first.

People will have uninformed opinions in every thread, but things will go nowhere if it just becomes labeling/name calling.

It's best to criticize the idea, not the person (or group of people). Once the latter is done, things devolve really quickly.

8 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

People will have uninformed opinions in every thread, but things will go nowhere if it just becomes labeling/name calling.

It's best to criticize the idea, not the person (or group of people). Once the latter is done, things devolve really quickly.

If they emboldened enough to begin their diatribe with "I haven't read anything about it,  but my opinion is..." then it is a pure waste of time to try and debate them.

And to no one's surprise, the folks most sympathetic to the players in this assault case are the least informed.

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

People seem to take some kind of satisfaction or confirmation baise from making conclusions before knowing all the facts. That is what courts are for. Brush aside all the BS and get to the facts. It doesn't take a genius to see that these hockey players are used by many people and companies that benefit financially from certain outcomes.   

Exactly.

Some people act like these guys had a pact and were gonna sacrifice a woman via Gang rape. Or as another poster said " hiding in a van down around the corner".

This story obviously runs deep

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Gall? Lol. I'm sorry you felt targeted by my post.

Unlike you, I don't mind people calling me out or disagreeing. I'm a big boy and that doesn't make me feel insecure.

You got called out for over exaggerating and basically using drama and BS to stir the pot. Making things up for attention. 

The fact it still bothers you says a lot. 

58 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

And you're just being selective.  If one didn't even do your homework, why do they feel the need to speak up?  Answer that first.

He literally made his post in reference to people like you. People who can't have a normal conversation or disagreement without feeling threatened and needing to lash out.

The fact you don't even realize that is pretty funny. Lol

4 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Gall? Lol. I'm sorry you felt targeted by my post.

Unlike you, I don't mind people calling me out or disagreeing. I'm a big boy and that doesn't make me feel insecure.

You got called out for over exaggerating and basically using drama and BS to stir the pot. Making things up for attention. 

The fact it still bothers you says a lot. 

Just now, JayDangles said:

He literally made his post in reference to people like you. People who can't have a normal conversation or disagreement without feeling threatened and needing to lash out.

The fact you don't even realize that is pretty funny. Lol

Well, you felt the need to call me out for not responding right away (which I did later on).  Now that four or five people have called you out, still nothing.

Still nothing.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Well, you felt the need to call me out for not responding right away (which I did later on).  Now that four or five people have called you out, still nothing.

Still nothing.

So you're feeling sorry for yourself? You feel picked on?

I'm just bored of talking with people like you so I move on with my day. 

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

If they emboldened enough to begin their diatribe with "I haven't read anything about it,  but my opinion is..." then it is a pure waste of time to try and debate them.

And to no one's surprise, the folks most sympathetic to the players in this assault case are the least informed.

Why is everything a debate with you? It's so strange. I didn't read any of this thread but I am sure you are the same here as in other threads. It's some weird contest where you have to win every 'debate'. Some things are just opinions and don't require debate. 

For example, Justin Trudeau is the worst PM in history. (Don't let your head explode too much). 

• Vintage 1

On 1/28/2024 at 11:30 AM, Breadnbutta said:

Maybe this lady had a fantasy of being shorthanded against the powerplay.

I have a hard time believing 5 dudes on team Canada just gangraped a woman.

There was probably consent but when she was treated like a sl*t when people found out cause things like this rarely stay a secret. Consensual or not. She decided to play the victim.

We will see throughout the investigation.

Maybe a refresher is needed here. These were not boys but rather young men selected to represent Canada. Put as much lipstick on a pig as you want and even in the best possible light these idiots decided it was a good idea to be drinking and having sex with one woman at a Hockey Canada Foundation Gala and Golf event.

TSN reports that a source contacted Conservative MP John Nater and described a video showing about six players who were with Canada's world junior team at the time having sex with a woman who was non-responsive and lying face up on a pool table.

What are the allegations?

A woman who was 20 at the time alleges eight unnamed CHL players, including some on Canada's U20 men's world junior hockey team, sexually assaulted her on June 19, 2018, according to her statement of claim filed in a $3.5 million lawsuit in April 2022.

World Juniors champions were in London, Ont. at that time as part of the Hockey Canada Foundation Gala and Golf event. 

The woman alleges an unnamed hockey player bought her alcoholic drinks at a local bar. She claims that she became visibly drunk and was seen stumbling and slurring her speech.

The statement of claim alleges the complainant went to the player's hotel room and engaged in sexual acts. At some point, says the statement of claim, the player allowed seven others to enter the room without her "knowledge or consent." The statement of claim said the men brought "golf clubs with them, knowing it would further frighten and intimidate her."

Over several hours, according to the statement of claim, the group of hockey players placed their genitals on her face, slapped her buttock, spit on her, ejaculated on her and engaged in vaginal intercourse while she was too intoxicated to consent.

The young woman said at some points she was crying and tried to leave the room but was "directed, manipulated and intimidated into remaining," her statement of claim said.

"Any reasonable person, acting reasonably, would have concluded that [she] was not freely consenting in those circumstances and would have ceased the confinement of [her] and the sexual behaviours toward her," says the statement of claim.

The claim says that after the sexual assault ended, the players filmed the young woman, instructed her to say she was sober and told her to shower.

The statement of claim also alleges the players pressured the young woman not to report the allegations or cooperate with a police investigation.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

So you're feeling sorry for yourself? You feel picked on?

I'm just bored of talking with people like you so I move on with my day. 

Well, not everyone who called you out is like me.  In fact, probably none of them are like me.

You tried to portray the five guys like they are victims.  They made a mistake and now we should feel bad that their NHL careers are potentially over.  That's some fucked up logic.

3 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Why is everything a debate with you? It's so strange. I didn't read any of this thread but I am sure you are the same here as in other threads. It's some weird contest where you have to win every 'debate'. Some things are just opinions and don't require debate. 

For example, Justin Trudeau is the worst PM in history. (Don't let your head explode too much). 

If you lack context, why are you trying to get involved?

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Well, not everyone who called you out is like me.  In fact, probably none of them are like me.

You tried to portray the five guys like they are victims.  They made a mistake and now we should feel bad that their NHL careers are potentially over.  That's some fucked up logic.

I don't know exactly what was said, but the five guys are victims to an extent. They will pay dearly, and rightfully so, if found guilty. They are vicitms of thier own stupid mistake. And if guilty, will pay. I don't know exactly what JD said but I can agree that it's sad when five young men have thrown their lives away because of mistake. It's not absolvoing them of their possible acts. Just a statement on how it's sad to see youth throwing away such talents. I repeat though, if found guilty, then they deserve all they have coming to them. 

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

I don't know exactly what was said, but the five guys are victims to an extent. They will pay dearly, and rightfully so, if found guilty. They are vicitms of thier own stupid mistake. And if guilty, will pay. I don't know exactly what JD said but I can agree that it's sad when five young men have thrown their lives away because of mistake. It's not absolvoing them of their possible acts. Just a statement on how it's sad to see youth throwing away such talents. I repeat though, if found guilty, then they deserve all they have coming to them. 

Don't bother dude. He doesn't know empathy and therefore is incapable of comprehending this.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Don't bother dude. He doesn't know empathy and therefore is incapable of comprehending this.

You want us feel empathy for a group of guys who allegedly gangraped an unconscious girl?

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Maybe a refresher is needed here. These were not boys but rather young men selected to represent Canada. Put as much lipstick on a pig as you want and even in the best possible light these idiots decided it was a good idea to be drinking and having sex with one woman at a Hockey Canada Foundation Gala and Golf event.

TSN reports that a source contacted Conservative MP John Nater and described a video showing about six players who were with Canada's world junior team at the time having sex with a woman who was non-responsive and lying face up on a pool table.

What are the allegations?

A woman who was 20 at the time alleges eight unnamed CHL players, including some on Canada's U20 men's world junior hockey team, sexually assaulted her on June 19, 2018, according to her statement of claim filed in a $3.5 million lawsuit in April 2022.

World Juniors champions were in London, Ont. at that time as part of the Hockey Canada Foundation Gala and Golf event. 

The woman alleges an unnamed hockey player bought her alcoholic drinks at a local bar. She claims that she became visibly drunk and was seen stumbling and slurring her speech.

The statement of claim alleges the complainant went to the player's hotel room and engaged in sexual acts. At some point, says the statement of claim, the player allowed seven others to enter the room without her "knowledge or consent." The statement of claim said the men brought "golf clubs with them, knowing it would further frighten and intimidate her."

Over several hours, according to the statement of claim, the group of hockey players placed their genitals on her face, slapped her buttock, spit on her, ejaculated on her and engaged in vaginal intercourse while she was too intoxicated to consent.

The young woman said at some points she was crying and tried to leave the room but was "directed, manipulated and intimidated into remaining," her statement of claim said.

"Any reasonable person, acting reasonably, would have concluded that [she] was not freely consenting in those circumstances and would have ceased the confinement of [her] and the sexual behaviours toward her," says the statement of claim.

The claim says that after the sexual assault ended, the players filmed the young woman, instructed her to say she was sober and told her to shower.

The statement of claim also alleges the players pressured the young woman not to report the allegations or cooperate with a police investigation.

"Allegations" is the key word in that post.  We don't know exactly what happened yet, we are all just speculating at this point.

I was on Twitter yesterday and someone made a good point about this case being similar to the Duke Lacrosse case.  I'm not going to say I'm an expert on the Duke Lacrosse case, but it did also involve an alleged gang rape by several members of the Duke Lacrosse team.  They were ripped in the media and called rapists for over a year.  They were found not guilty in a court of law and the three players who were involved subsequently filed a lawsuit against Duke University where all 3 players won a $20 million judgement each.

I have no idea what actually happened the night of June 18 in that hotel room, but nobody else does either.  People here are still calling Jake Virtanen a rapist even though he was found not guilty of sexual assault in a court of law...

• Vintage 2

Just now, Miss Korea said:

You want us feel empathy for a group of guys who allegedly gangraped an unconscious girl?

No, not empathy for the act. Everyone can agree that if found guilty, full punishment will be deserved.  Empathy for a future thrown away for committing a crime while so young is separate. The punishment is deserved, but the fact that this event had taken place, and ruined the many lives it has, is sad. 

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I don't want you to do anything. I'm totally fine and happy with my opinion and I'm happy to discuss it with anyone capable of controlling themselves long enough to have a civil discussion.

You seem to have a real problem separating your emotions from the issues And therefore I won't waste any more of my time responding to you.