[Report] Alex Formenton, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube & Cal Foote Charged with Sexual Assault in alleged incident during Hockey Canada event

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

"Allegations" is the key word in that post.  We don't know exactly what happened yet, we are all just speculating at this point.

I was on Twitter yesterday and someone made a good point about this case being similar to the Duke Lacrosse case.  I'm not going to say I'm an expert on the Duke Lacrosse case, but it did also involve an alleged gang rape by several members of the Duke Lacrosse team.  They were ripped in the media and called rapists for over a year.  They were found not guilty in a court of law and the three players who were involved subsequently filed a lawsuit against Duke University where all 3 players won a $20 million judgement each.

I have no idea what actually happened the night of June 18 in that hotel room, but nobody else does either.  People here are still calling Jake Virtanen a rapist even though he was found not guilty of sexual assault in a court of law...

Quite right they are just allegations at this point but keep in mind I was responding to a post that preferred to believe that the woman wanted to be gang-banged.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I don't want you to do anything. I'm totally fine and happy with my opinion and I'm happy to discuss it with anyone capable of controlling themselves long enough to have a civil discussion.

You seem to have a real problem separating your emotions from the issues And therefore I won't waste any more of my time responding to you.

Then do so and engage with the numerous others who think you are wrong.

Just remember that you are the one who taunted me for not responding.

I have a real problem separating emotions from issues but here you are asking us to feel empathy for alleged rapists.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Why is everything a debate with you? It's so strange. I didn't read any of this thread but I am sure you are the same here as in other threads. It's some weird contest where you have to win every 'debate'. Some things are just opinions and don't require debate. 

For example, Justin Trudeau is the worst PM in history. (Don't let your head explode too much). 

I think that’s a fact, not open for debate.

6 minutes ago, Rekker said:

No, not empathy for the act. Everyone can agree that if found guilty, full punishment will be deserved.  Empathy for a future thrown away for committing a crime while so young is separate. The punishment is deserved, but the fact that this event had taken place, and ruined the many lives it has, is sad. 

I agree and think we all should be more empathetic - but first for the victim , and then for the perpetrators, should they be convicted, punished and are remorseful. They are no winners in this. Sad to see young men cause so much harm to a young woman’s life and to lay waste to their own futures.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I agree and think we all should be more empathetic - but first for the victim , and then for the perpetrators, should they be convicted, punished and are remorseful. They are no winners in this. Sad to see young men cause so much harm to a young woman’s life and to lay waste to their own futures.

Bang on, you put it into words a lot better than I did.

• Cheers 1

On 1/26/2024 at 3:44 AM, Dumb Nuck said:

Damn, guess I got egg on my face, my apologies.

Today Dumb Nuck wins the internet. 
My god that is the most adult and reasonable thing that has been said on the internet in time immeasurable.  It is just so fucking refreshing. 

I am not in any way being facetious it is just amazingly fabulous to see someone say that they made a mistake and make a reasonable apology in life, much less on the internet, these days. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

No you put perfectly, I just wanted to chime in.

I have a son and daughter exactly in this age group. Makes it easy to imagine the pain all families involved are feeling. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I think that’s a fact, not open for debate.

That's what I thought, but you should stumble over to the off-topic Canadian politics thread where your qualification for being allowed to state your opinion is to know who is on all the Canadian currency or else ninnies like Korea come reeeeeeeeeeing in to tell you that you can't have an opinion of who is the worst if you don't have a degree (like she apparently does) or something. It's pretty comical. 

• Like 1

Throw the book at the lot of em. Whether their convicted of a crime or not as far as I'm concerned if you have to coheres a woman to make a video saying she wasn't just raped by you and 7 dudes you're all probably scumbag pieces of shit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5forFighting said:

That's what I thought, but you should stumble over to the off-topic Canadian politics thread where your qualification for being allowed to state your opinion is to know who is on all the Canadian currency or else ninnies like Korea come reeeeeeeeeeing in to tell you that you can't have an opinion of who is the worst if you don't have a degree (like she apparently does) or something. It's pretty comical. 

We already established that you don't really knownwhat youre talking about in that thread.  And then you come on here having no clue what's going on (your own) words but wanting to get involved anyway.

Your colleague really thinks it's important for us to realize that these five dudes made a mistake and they've victims of circumstance.  What great loss to the NHL.

First:

Let’s remember that there were more than the five who will be surrendering to police. That means there are people who were investigated but will not be charged - perhaps because they “passive bystanders” (and I mean they did no touching - I am not saying they did nothing wrong by not stopping it from happening) or perhaps they entered the room and left - for whatever reason they have escaped being charged.

But that still means that other players who may still be in the league have narrowly avoided being charged. 

Second:

I understand innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. But the simple fact is that there was enough evidence to warrant bringing charges against at least these five individuals to be named. These charges would not be pursued if the facts and evidence were not clear and persuasive. Especially given the high profile nature of it all.

So, in my mind, whether the five are convicted or get a lesser sentence has little to do with it. They were there and took part. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2024 at 4:04 PM, Blue said:

You are making it sound like the 5 accused were sitting on the side of the road in a van and grabbed the accuser off the street. That is most definitely not the case. 

I'm not at all, but I'm sorry that's the connotation you inferred on what I said. 

Merely taking advantage of someone who is intoxicated is predatory, no matter how you slice it bud.

• Cheers 1