[Report] Alex Formenton, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube & Cal Foote Charged with Sexual Assault in alleged incident during Hockey Canada event

• Elias Pettersson changed the title to [Report] Alex Formenton, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube & Cal Foote Charged with Sexual Assault in alleged incident during Hockey Canada event
25 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Guys with term on their deals are gonna get paid to do nothing for a while

Court sometime in 2026. Wheels of “Justice” at work.

Sucks for the victim if this is true and sucks for the accused, if they are innocent. Sucks for all of their family and loved ones.

Meanwhile, there will be lots of anxiety, depression, anger, embarrassment, guilt and shame. All horrible feelings that will go for a couple years before this gets resolved. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

So now that the 5 players that we already knew have been charged with sexual assault, I'm assuming their current contracts will be terminated or suspended.  The trials for the 5 players apparently won't start until 2026.  I wonder what is going to happen between now and then?  That's 2 years away.  Will there be plea deals arranged?  Talk about dragging this out until infinity.  Should be an interesting 2 years for Hockey Canada and the sport in general...

2 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Sucks for the victim if this is true and sucks for the accused, if they are innocent. Sucks for all of their family and loved ones.

Meanwhile, there will be lots of anxiety, depression, anger, embarrassment, guilt and shame. All horrible feelings that will go for a couple years before this gets resolved. 

Something about red / orange jerseys... fitting 😂

Edited by Integra250
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

You're not wrong, but a swift resolution wasn't ever all that likely 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

So now that the 5 players that we already knew have been charged with sexual assault, I'm assuming their current contracts will be terminated or suspended.  The trials for the 5 players apparently won't start until 2026.  I wonder what is going to happen between now and then?  That's 2 years away.  Will there be plea deals arranged?  Talk about dragging this out until infinity.  Should be an interesting 2 years for Hockey Canada and the sport in general...

I’m pretty sure the NHLPA is not going to just let their contracts be terminated like that. You’re innocent till proven guilty in this country. 

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

First:

Let’s remember that there were more than the five who will be surrendering to police. That means there are people who were investigated but will not be charged - perhaps because they “passive bystanders” (and I mean they did no touching - I am not saying they did nothing wrong by not stopping it from happening) or perhaps they entered the room and left - for whatever reason they have escaped being charged.

But that still means that other players who may still be in the league have narrowly avoided being charged. 

Second:

I understand innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. But the simple fact is that there was enough evidence to warrant bringing charges against at least these five individuals to be named. These charges would not be pursued if the facts and evidence were not clear and persuasive. Especially given the high profile nature of it all.

So, in my mind, whether the five are convicted or get a lesser sentence has little to do with it. They were there and took part. 

There was enough evidence to charge Jake Virtanen with sexual assault.  He was acquitted of the crime in a court of law.  There was enough evidence to charge the 3 Duke Lacrosse players of a gang rape.  They were all acquitted of the crime in a court of law and subsequently all 3 players were awarded $20 million each in a civil lawsuit settlement ...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hard to say given this is a very high profile case, I'd be a little surprised by plea deals 

I don't think this story will go away, every bit of news just reignites things 

Hard to see the guys getting off with nothing though

I think Hockey Canada's reckoning has just begun, there's a lot more public interest in the state of things now 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

I’m pretty sure the NHLPA is not going to just let their contracts be terminated like that. You’re innocent till proven guilty in this country. 

True.  I'm sure they will at least be suspended.  All players involved are RFA's in the summer and will obviously not be offered a new contract, so we are talking about only a few months of pay here anyways, so the contracts are a moot point...

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There was enough evidence to charge Jake Virtanen with sexual assault.  He was acquitted of the crime in a court of law.  There was enough evidence to charge the 3 Duke Lacrosse players of a gang rape.  They were all acquitted of the crime in a court of law and subsequently all 3 players were awarded $20 million each in a civil lawsuit settlement ...

Yes, I understand. It’s why I tried to be clear that the evidence and facts to bring the charges is enough for me to understand they were there. SA prosecutions are difficult enough without adding alcohol into the mix. Some people may feel that these individuals should be given another shot or something if found not guilty or are charged for a lesser offence. I am not one of those people.

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ban all Canadians from playing in international competition!!!!!!!@112#1#!#!111!!  🙃

Having read all the publicly available information on this case I think it's glaringly obvious the players committed a crime and they knew it. We'll see in some years if there's enough to convict.

Don't blindly trust the police and courts, especially not on SA.

I for the next an not going to say innocent or guilty until it's over, but for now they are innocent.

I think they should be suspended until it's over which will ruin their careers.

But if they did play imagine other players might want to either be traded from the teams,or even in practice hit them harder.Games same thing players will go out of their way to hit them and the NHL will have a problem.

Not to mention the refs and coaches.Hiw will they feel and what will they do?

Edited by cripplereh

8 minutes ago, KZA said:

Having read all the publicly available information on this case I think it's glaringly obvious the players committed a crime and they knew it. We'll see in some years if there's enough to convict.

Don't blindly trust the police and courts, especially not on SA.

Too many people here seem to think not guilty verdicts mean "he didn't do it" instead of "we can't conclusively prove he did it".

• Vintage 2

Really hits home once charges are laid. What a complete waste of youth for all involved. If found guilty they will pay dearly, and the victim scarred for life. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Too many people here seem to think not guilty verdicts mean "he didn't do it" instead of "we can't conclusively prove he did it".

This thinking is why false accusations can ruin people’s lives.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

If they can’t prove they did it in a court of law then they are not guilty. Which means unless you have enough proof you can’t send someone to jail. 

You are inferring that they are guilty and that there just isn’t enough proof to convict them. What gives you the moral authority to say someone is guilty of a crime when you weren’t even in the room?  

There were many people, maybe you included, who 100% said Jake Virtanen was guilty. Some people still call him a rapist. I read all of the evidence in that trial. And the evidence showed he was innocent. Right down to the woman sleeping with him in the same bed the entire evening after the so called sexual assault and then asking him for cab money the next day to get home. She even said he assaulted her for the first time on the balcony.  Unfortunately for her the evidence showed there wasn’t even a balcony in the hotel room. 

The evidence also showed that she attended a Canucks practice a few days later to watch her alleged attacker play hockey. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, ManbeastMARK said:

This thinking is why false accusations can ruin people’s lives.

Do the crime; do the time. These guys might get off but their big money NHL careers are over. Rather Taoist’s go to prison, of course, but losing millions works too. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True.  I'm sure they will at least be suspended.  All players involved are RFA's in the summer and will obviously not be offered a new contract, so we are talking about only a few months of pay here anyways, so the contracts are a moot point...

I'm sure the teams will just bite the bullet, pay up and try to wash their hands clean of this mess.  I didn't realize they were all impending free agents.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

If they can’t prove they did it in a court of law then they are not guilty. Which means unless you have enough proof you can’t send someone to jail. 

You are inferring that they are guilty and that there just isn’t enough proof to convict them. What gives you the moral authority to say someone is guilty of a crime when you weren’t even in the room?  

There were many people, maybe you included, who 100% said Jake Virtanen was guilty. Some people still call him a rapist. I read all of the evidence in that trial. And the evidence showed he was innocent. Right down to the woman sleeping with him in the same bed the entire evening after the so called sexual assault and then asking him for cab money the next day to get home. She even said he assaulted her for the first time on the balcony.  Unfortunately for her the evidence showed there wasn’t even a balcony in the hotel room. 

Really that all matters not. These guys’ nhl careers are over. They each just lost millions. Might even see them flipping burgers one day, like Jake? 

Just now, Miss Korea said:

I'm sure the teams will just bite the bullet, pay up and try to wash their hands clean of this mess.  I didn't realize they were all impending free agents.

These losers are all done in the national league.