[Report] Alex Formenton, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube & Cal Foote Charged with Sexual Assault in alleged incident during Hockey Canada event

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Yes, I understand. It’s why I tried to be clear that the evidence and facts to bring the charges is enough for me to understand they were there. SA prosecutions are difficult enough without adding alcohol into the mix. Some people may feel that these individuals should be given another shot or something if found not guilty or are charged for a lesser offence. I am not one of those people.

Oh they were definitely all in the hotel room. I don’t think the lawyers are going to go the route that they weren’t even there. I’m sure the 3 players that weren’t charged will have to testify and confirm everyone was in the room. 

This is going to be a he said she said case and their defence will be it was all consensual.  That’s my feeling. What may push this case against the players is if the other players testify against them. If that happens then these 5 players are screwed.  That would be the game changer in this case IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Really that all matters not. These guys’ nhl careers are over. They each just lost millions. Might even see them flipping burgers one day, like Jake? 

Jake is playing hockey in Germany. Germany is a beautiful country. Apparently he is there with his girlfriend. It’s not as great as being in the NHL but I am sure he is making more money than someone flipping burgers at McDonalds. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jake is playing hockey in Germany. Germany is a beautiful country. Apparently he is there with his girlfriend. It’s not as great as being in the NHL but I am sure he is making more money than someone flipping burgers at McDonalds. 

IMHAO these kinds of people (jske and these rapists) are short sighted please my worst instincts types. They are exactly the types who end up with nothing and flipping burgers. These are the losers of society. 

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If they can’t prove they did it in a court of law then they are not guilty. Which means unless you have enough proof you can’t send someone to jail. 

You are inferring that they are guilty and that there just isn’t enough proof to convict them. What gives you the moral authority to say someone is guilty of a crime when you weren’t even in the room?  

There were many people, maybe you included, who 100% said Jake Virtanen was guilty. Some people still call him a rapist. I read all of the evidence in that trial. And the evidence showed he was innocent. Right down to the woman sleeping with him in the same bed the entire evening after the so called sexual assault and then asking him for cab money the next day to get home. She even said he assaulted her for the first time on the balcony.  Unfortunately for her the evidence showed there wasn’t even a balcony in the hotel room. 

Jake earned his reputation in the Lower Mainland over the years as a womanizing philanderer.  Local, very good looking, NHL player.  All the girls around his age knew someone who slept with him.  And they all knew him as a total sleazeball.

Does that make him guilty?  No.  But he did not do himself any favours with his behaviour.

This case seems a bit different, though. 

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Jake earned his reputation in the Lower Mainland over the years as a womanizing philanderer.  Local, very good looking, NHL player.  All the girls around his age knew someone who slept with him.  And they all knew him as a total sleazeball.

Does that make him guilty?  No.  But he did not do himself any favours with his behaviour.

Curious. If a woman acts like Jake did, a "sleazeball" as you put it, and is raped. Does she not do herself any favours proving her case as well?

Edited by Rekker

29 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I'm sure the teams will just bite the bullet, pay up and try to wash their hands clean of this mess.  I didn't realize they were all impending free agents.

now that seems like too much of a coincidence. 

I will be very curious if the court case isn’t until 2026, at what point (or have they already) will one of their agents go to the PA and say they are innocent until proven guilty and so should be able to play. 
Especially for the players that are higher profile and making more money. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

one of my nieces worked at a cactus club out in the valley for a bit, according to her Jake was a total asshole. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I will be very curious if the court case isn’t until 2026, at what point (or have they already) will one of their agents go to the PA and say they are innocent until proven guilty and so should be able to play. 

Unless there’s something in the PA contract that says they’re to stay away from criminal activity. One could argue that getting charged could be not staying away. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

one of my nieces worked at a cactus club out in the valley for a bit, according to her Jake was a total asshole. 

I am in Kelowna, many stories here as well. He is not the guy you want your daughter with. Lol.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Oh I agree. Jake didn’t have the greatest reputation. But you can be a sleazeball and sleep with every woman you meet and still not be a rapist. 

This case is different I agree. Apparently there were 8 players in total in the hotel room. I wonder if the other 3 took some type of deal and will be testifying in court against the 5 players. We will see. If those 3 players testify against them then they are all screwed. 

9 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Curious. If a woman acts like Jake did, a "sleazeball" as you put it, and is raped. Does she not do herself any favours proving her case as well?

You're not actually trying to take on the slut-shaming position, are you?  Are you being for real right now?

• Tank 1
  • Upvote 2

I have literally shook Jake’s hand while entering the Roxy while he was leaving with a girl. 

I was kind of drunk and was like oh shit you’re Jake Virtanen.  

It was during an all-star break. 

I can see how he is a womanizer. I hear stories. 

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You're not actually trying to take on the slut-shaming position, are you?  Are you being for real right now?

You started it by calling a Jake a sleazeball, thus doing himself no favors defending his rape conviction. Are the two instances so different?

Edited by Rekker

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Oh they were definitely all in the hotel room. I don’t think the lawyers are going to go the route that they weren’t even there. I’m sure the 3 players that weren’t charged will have to testify and confirm everyone was in the room. 

This is going to be a he said she said case and their defence will be it was all consensual.  That’s my feeling. What may push this case against the players is if the other players testify against them. If that happens then these 5 players are screwed.  That would be the game changer in this case IMO. 

I doubt anyone rolls on another. This has been brewing for years. It will definitely be argued that it was consensual, and if she couldn’t consent because she was intoxicated neither could they because they were intoxicated too.

However, the constellation of material facts reported so far is that, and regardless of which individuals were overly intoxicated as well, that this young lady was brought into a situation that changed from what she had consented to at first and then forced videos were taken with a damning paper trail of texts thereafter.

Consent is not absolute or irrevocable. It changes moment to moment. For example: someone may consent to be choked during the act of sex, including to the point of unconsciousness, but if you do something that was not consented to after consciousness was lost, it was not consensual. Consciousness here is similar to being in intoxicated.

These individuals participated in an act that will forever change this young woman’s life. It was not an accident. They were not boys. They were in a position of prestige and influence. I hope they are punished to the full extent of the law and suffer harsher social consequences.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I’m guessing morality clauses in contracts prohibit them from being eligible to play while subject to a criminal investigation. See Lucic from earlier this year as an example. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Rekker said:

You started it by calling a Jake a sleazeball, thus doing himself no favors defending his rape conviction. Are the two instances so different?

Yes.  What you are doing is textbook slut-shaming.  There's no way around it.  I'm legitimately shocked you just said that.

27 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Am I a bad person if my first thought upon hearing this is "Gee, I hope we don't lose our D coach"?

Not at all, I'm pretty self centered. Whenever something happens around me, my first thought is "how does this effect me?" Lol.

Edited by Rekker
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I simply made the comparison to your statement on Jake being a sleazeball thus hurting his defense at a rape trial. I asked if the two instances are comparable, which they most definitely are. Difference being is that I will say that in neither  case do past sexual escapades have anything to do with a rape case. But you are sticking to your double standard?

His defense was 100% successful.  So I don’t know what the fuck you're talking about.  It seems like you've never been accused of slut-shaming, or you just don't know what it is?

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

His defense was 100% successful.  So I don’t know what the fuck you're talking about.  It seems like you've never been accused of slut-shaming, or you just don't know what it is?

Deflecting I see. Figured as much.