[Report] Alex Formenton, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube & Cal Foote Charged with Sexual Assault in alleged incident during Hockey Canada event

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Scared Uh Oh GIF by Boomerang Official

That's going to come down on the Canucks.  We'll see if Sergei takes on a bigger role for the next little while

Only if Adam Foote or the Canucks let it. The sins of the son are not the sins of the father and vice versa. Adam Foote should make a statement to some degree and make sure to ignore all media bullshit trying to drag him or the Canucks into the mix.

Don't give the media any attention on the matter. (in relation to Adam and the Canucks)

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

My last OT post on this clearly diversionary tactic by the league to minimize the stain on themselves before I hand it back over to scandalous speculation:

the league would do well to move the desert dogs up I-17/US89 instead of expanding to 33+ teams.

That is all.  Carry on, speculators!

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Assuming the names suspected are actually NHL players...

If you know you're one of the players on that list, how have you been able play NHL games knowing you're being suspected of such an egregious crime?  What kind of moral gymnastics would you be having to do in your head to justify the salary you're collecting on a game-by-game basis knowing what you did, let alone being actively investigated for it.

Crazy. 

Most folks learns to carry on... time heals... unfortunately...

And then there are the totally immoral empty heads.... and there are plenty of those... Women throwing themselves at them basically made them think they were above the law....

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Ok so here's what I dont understand.

None of the players were playing for an NHL team at the time. So how can the NHL suspend anyone for something that happened before their employment? Before they signed a code of conduct?

I can totally understand the players being banned from any Hockey Canada type things. Spengler Cup, Olympics etc. But if a player didnt "work" for an employer when an incident happened, how the hell can that employer discipline someone for it?

Maybe thats why players are taking a voluntary leave of absence

Well, if arrested that will likely be the end of their season and probably grounds for contract termination.  If convicted, likely the end of their careers

• Cheers 3

None of the players were playing for an NHL team at the time. So how can the NHL suspend anyone for something that happened before their employment? Before they signed a code of conduct?

I can totally understand the players being banned from any Hockey Canada type things. Spengler Cup, Olympics etc. But if a player didnt "work" for an employer when an incident happened, how the hell can that employer discipline someone for it?

They have to go to London and report to the police.

Now we have to track flights Ohtani style.

Just now, Goalie29 said:

A - The NHL hasn't suspended anyone.

B - It's sexual assault.  I don't give a shit when it happened.  They don't deserve to be on an NHL roster.

Relax man, im not condoning or advocating. I'm asking questions.

Lots of tweets and statements out there suggesting NHL suspensions are coming. I'm just asking how thats possible

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Only if Adam Foote or the Canucks let it. The sins of the son are not the sins of the father and vice versa. Adam Foote should make a statement to some degree and make sure to ignore all media bullshit trying to drag him or the Canucks into the mix.

Don't give the media any attention on the matter. (in relation to Adam and the Canucks)

You don't think Foote will want to be with his son during that time?  I know I would 

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

Scared Uh Oh GIF by Boomerang Official

That's going to come down on the Canucks.  We'll see if Sergei takes on a bigger role for the next little while

I wouldn't be surprised to see Adam step back for a bit, wouldn't be surprised to see him ride it out either 

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

You don't think Foote will want to be with his son during that time?  I know I would 

It's going to take a lot of time. Surrendering for charging should happen quickly and then it will run through the system. This might take years.

• Upvote 1

good question- perhaps the players-that have yet to be officially named, were already drafted at the time of the alleged crime?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Well, if arrested that will likely be the end of their season and probably grounds for contract termination.  If convicted, likely the end of their careers

Totally, I get that if the situation results in them not being able to fulfill their contract conditions then the team will dump them... But if the NHL specifically suspends them for something that happened prior to a contract, things could get really messy. 

Finding out the names is really just the start, not the end.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Lots of tweets and statements out there suggesting NHL suspensions are coming. I'm just asking how thats possible

I suspect there's a standard NHL code of conduct, and breaching that would be grounds for suspension or termination. I'm sure being convicted of sexual assault would breach the code of conduct, even if it happened before they were playing in the NHL. Nobody has been convicted of course, but if they are, the hammer will come down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Some of them may have signed ELCs... I suppose under a player's current contract their morality clause might include things like "do not cover up/interfere with a criminal investigation" and so it could be covered under that. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

It's going to take a lot of time. Surrendering for charging should happen quickly and then it will run through the system. This might take years.

Agreed, I just meant short term, as in 2-3 weeks.  If, indeed, foite is one of the peeps and is arrested, I'd fully expect his father to be there with him through a very difficult time

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

I suspect there's a standard NHL code of conduct, and breaching that would be grounds for suspension or termination. I'm sure being convicted of sexual assault would breach the code of conduct, even if it happened before they were playing in the NHL. Nobody has been convicted of course, but if they are, the hammer will come down.

True, maybe theres a clause that says "being charged with a crime while under contract is grounds for termination", this way it doesnt matter when the incident happened, but rather when the charges were laid.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Short statement would be he has no knowledge of anything that may/may not  have happened, and for further questions, please contact Canucks head office.

That should be that... 

Don't let the vultures get any blood....

• Cheers 1

Just now, Down By the River said:

Some of them may have signed ELCs... I suppose under a player's current contract their morality clause might include things like "do not cover up/interfere with a criminal investigation" and so it could be covered under that. 

If Corey Perry's contract can be terminated for getting drunk and being inappropriate with a female employee, then the NHL players involved may never play in the league again.

Obviously that's down the road, but it's not looking good

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Agreed, I just meant short term, as in 2-3 weeks.  If, indeed, foite is one of the peeps and is arrested, I'd fully expect his father to be there with him through a very difficult time

Really hard to say. Cal probably feels pretty bad about what his dad will be dealing with publicly, and may ask him not to come? Dunno. I guess with the asg break coming up maybe that's the window he can be there with him.

Just now, JayDangles said:

True, maybe theres a clause that says "being charged with a crime while under contract is grounds for termination", this way it doesnt matter when the incident happened, but rather when the charges were laid.

Well, presumably they aren't being brought in as part of the investigation.......the investigation is over and they are being arrested.  It's likely the end of their hockey careers

Just now, Bob Long said:

Really hard to say. Cal probably feels pretty bad about what his dad will be dealing with publicly, and may ask him not to come? Dunno. I guess with the asg break coming up maybe that's the window he can be there with him.

I know I'd want my parents there and he and his dad are very close