GDT - CANUCKS vs OILERS. GAME 6 - Finish Them! 5pm PST.

21 minutes ago, Johnny said:

The engineering of the superstructure can only handle so much weight. Just adding more lanes isnt always easy

There was rumor that they were considering having three lanes running under the present deck going the opposite way, which would have involved adding more posts for support but the landowners on the North/West Vancouver end nixed the deal. 

also the bridge being designed by the same designer as the Golden Gate probably makes for a harder decision to replace or even alter it too much.

it is about making a decision and sticking with it. The most that’s been done to that bridge was to replace the deck. 

then the road that winds through stanley park would need to be widened to support more traffic and then theres the city streets, this would surely involve cutting down lots of trees.

and? Widening the causeway would make complete sense. Why was it okay to take out thousands of trees beforehand but now taking down much less trees to widen the causeway is an issue?

there would still be a bottleneck somewhere in that stretch. Is it worth spending hundreds of millions to just relocate a pinch point in traffic??

There is a huge bottleneck every day on that route. Every single day. You have to update infrastructure eventually rather than hoping things will improve magically. 

edit - lions gate was only copying golden gate. The original Johnson street bridge in Victoria shared the same designer as the Golden Gate

Cool. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

Trading Demko would be insane. Are there really fans saying we should do that?

Insane fans, that think Demko will break again at a moments notice. Yeah I just shake my head too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Will our bridges be able to carry the weight of the Stanley Cup?

Gotta plan the parade accordingly. 

Can the streets handle a cup Parade from Rogers Arena to Stanley Park?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Can the streets handle a cup Parade from Rogers Arena to Stanley Park?

I've said for years that WHEN we have a parade that it should start at the PNE and end up at Rogers... Canuck history from start to finish

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Speaking of weight on bridges....when they put the bike lanes in downtown...dont all those concrete dividers add soo much wieght? doubt that extra amount was included in the engineering plan originally...

...and more importantly, how will it effect the game tonight?

That’s why we “cycle” the puck so much on the power play 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There was rumor that they were considering having three lanes running under the present deck going the opposite way, which would have involved adding more posts for support but the landowners on the North/West Vancouver end nixed the deal. 

it is about making a decision and sticking with it. The most that’s been done to that bridge was to replace the deck. 

and? Widening the causeway would make complete sense. Why was it okay to take out thousands of trees beforehand but now taking down much less trees to widen the causeway is an issue?

There is a huge bottleneck every day on that route. Every single day. You have to update infrastructure eventually rather than hoping things will improve magically. 

Cool. 

There was a proposal from the Engineers that did the George Massey Tunnel in the late 80's early 90's. And I thought it was brilliant.

Dig a tunnel underneath Stanley Park, 6-8 lanes. All the earth from the tunnel would go building up land in Coal Harbour. The new land would be developed into new housing.

The profit from the new development would basically help offset the cost of the tunnel. They even stated you could put in two lanes in the middle for Skytrain to run from downtown right into the North Shore. The Lions Gate would still be there but 2 lanes, and a 3rd lane for emergency vehicles only.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, grumpyone said:

I've said for years that WHEN we have a parade that it should start at the PNE and end up at Rogers... Canuck history from start to finish

That's a long hike but with 54 years of waiting, yeah that would be worth it.

• Like 1

Demko should be re-signed... he is a great goaltender.  Very hard to find goalies of his quality.

But he should only be used approx. 45 games per year... maybe a few more, but never in back to back and coaches should make sure he is feeling 100%... if he has any issues, he should be rested.  Towards the end of the season he should be rested.

Silovs should be his backup and play approx. 35 games.

When the team hits the playoffs, Demko should start every game until he is either injured or feels less than 100%.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Good analysis of the situation. Silovs has been stellar but can he do it for 50+ regular season games and then 10+ games in the playoffs? I don’t think so - yet. But he will get there one day. 

This would be a blessing in disguise to have Demko for another 2 years while Silovs backs him up. Next year do a 50-32 split, the following year do a 41-41 split. We could have our own Boston situation with Swayman and Ullmark. Both played 40 games this season with winning records. 
Demko at 5 M is great when he’s playing and healthy. 

I don’t agree with this. Boston didn’t win a cup with two starting goalies. It’s hard because you always have to choose which one to play. The teams shooting for the cup this year all have true #1 goalies. Except Edmonton of course. 

Silovs could be our back up next season. But at some point he needs to be the guy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

Moneyline (ML): Canucks +162 (bet $100 to win $162) | Oilers -196 (bet $196 to win $100)

As tempting as the odds have been all this round. I can't. Because if I bet on Vancouver, they will lose for sure.

So I don't bet when the Canucks are involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1