GDT - CANUCKS vs OILERS. GAME 6 - Finish Them! 5pm PST.

Oilers are desperate and will come out flying tonight.  Canucks played their best playoff game

on Thursday and will need to ramp it up to beat these guys tonight.  If they can win game 6,

they will not only be elevated to contender status, but they will also be rewarded with more

much needed downtime.  GCG

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, whcanuck said:

I live just outside of Pittsburgh, so obviously no fellow Canucks fans for hundreds (thousands?) of miles. You guys are my Canucks community, I’ll most likely never meet any of you face to face but I appreciate being apart of this community with all of you :).

Also, know that a lot of the Pens fanbase, due to various connections like JR, Tocchet and Gonchar, is pulling for us too!

I lived and worked in Pittsburgh for three years. Only about 300k in the city (excluding metro) as of 2022 but so many of those are university students and UPMC staff from elsewhere, and I did (eventually) meet some fellow Canadians while there to bond over hockey with, but it took some time for sure.

Not surprised that their fan base is pulling for us. In addition to past coaching / player connections, that city has a deep blue collar mentality & work ethic, stemming from their steel factory history. RT has helped instill an even keeled, workmanlike ethic into this team that I can really see resonating with Pittsburghers. (In contrast to the sense of entitlement that many see emenating from the Oilers side). 

It's nice to see that other fanbases (Pittsburgh, Calgary, even apparently Edmonton should they lose) are willing to come to our side. In some ways, it's a complete reversal from 2011 where we were widely villainized. This time around, we've been cast as the likeable underdogs looking to topple the presumed heirs to the throne...

Edited by syntheticity
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I will have my towel locked and loaded for this game 6 ... woohoo ... keep it up JT, win the head-to-head matchup with McJesus and Lindy, do the same with Dry-my-Saddle. That is the series right there, we are just ... better. 

So we had.  "The Great One"

Then:           "The Next One"

Now:             "The Incontinent One"  ??

• Haha 4

Just now, -dlc- said:

And looks better in heels.

I'll leave that to your expertise.

They gotta be careful though, heels can shorten the calf muscle. Not good for hockey players. 

• Haha 3

A smattering of posts from one Oilers Fan Forum ... appears everyone is firmly behind decisions being made today ... all is well in Oil Country! The last one is particularly interesting ... gone from WHO ARE WE FACING IN ROUND 3 (before game 1 was even played) to GEEZ, I HOPE WE MAKE IT TO ROUND 3.

image.png.f02d3e2cc2d7081e5157c1ccd7a67781.png

image.png.fa059efa6b85609ebe0f094c1fbbb41e.png

image.png.9db244d408bec1b214d26590ea0e9772.png

• Haha 1

I think they were totally waiting for overtime. They were totally playing possum. 

Kane? He kept falling down everytime someone touched him. Looking for the calls. What a cheater. 

Coiler's gonna be falling down everywhere tonight.  A friggin' handicapped convention out there tonight. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

650 yesterday afternoon.

"The Canucks played their best game of the playoffs and only won by one goal..."

Pssst. Every game this series has been decided by one goal. So the 2 Edmonton Victories, if that was their best games they too have only won by one goal...

I get it, you want to stir things up to get listeners. But geez.

Last time I checked you only have to have one more goal than the other team to win a game. No one is going to care if we "only" won by one goal if it gets us to the 3rd round.

Keep doubting the Canucks - no different all season. Now the team has to show us their killer instinct and press HARD on Oilers for Game 6 to shut up the sceptics. 

The BIGGEST thing that the Canucks have to do is focus on this game and don't think ahead. I'm guessing they know that 3 of 4 teams are now in the Conference finals, so it would be easy to start thinking to Dallas - which is a surefire way to lose game 6. Focus on beating on Edmonton - that's the key!

Edited by AnotherCanucksFan
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

LOL at me trying to tell Trevor Hanson's dad what the rules are and that it was a lousy call on Petey.

He's a friend of my brother's (not sure why) but my brother and I both had a "f off you don't know what you're talking about" moment (separately). Then about 10 other people jumped in to tell him what's up. 

He ran away.

Was reading Tim Peel's history and how the league does intervene and manage the games/series. It's not just us being delusional and whiny...it's a real thing as caught on mic by an actual NHL ref who admitted it.

I love that the team doesn't even react anymore...they don't care and have adjusted. So awesome.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Last time I checked you only have to have one more goal than the other team to win a game. No one is going to care "only" won by one goal if it gets us to the 3rd round.

Keep doubting the Canucks - no different all season. Now the team has to show us their killer instinct and press HARD on Oilers for Game 6 to shut up the sceptics. 

Yeah Canucks need to show killer instinct which lacks this series. Like when we score go for more

• Like 1

Just now, PeteyBoeser said:

Yeah Canucks need to show killer instinct which lacks this series. Like when we score go for more

That was what I liked about the last game. They mostly played assertively and in the Ozone. Now they have to press even harder and bang in front of the net.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, whcanuck said:

I used to have this VHS video, it was the story of the 1992-93 Penguins season. They were going for 3 straight Cups, Mario Lemieux was threatening a 200 pt season until he contracted Hodgkin’s, and numerous Penguins players, including Tocchet, had career years en route to the franchise’s first and only President’s Trophy.

My local video store had it and they let me keep it for free! I actually partly learned how to make spaghetti because of Rick Tocchet 🙂

I loved that season, WHC. There were so many awesome storylines, was one of the great campaigns in NHL history.

Just always wished Van coulda' ousted the Kings/Grungy One. Van vs Laffs to see who meets Habs woulda' been magic!

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, SuchaNuxtalgia said:

Pics like this make me miss Van so bad, sometimes the heart aches!

But I miss the place that I grew up in..the size/scale, beauty & charm up to(approx circa) Expo86.

I see this picture I think of how stupid it is to have a three lane bridge when a six to eight lane bridge would have been far better. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Thing is, you're looking for dramatics and their deal is quite different. They play the same if they're behind or ahead 2 goals. They don't panic or change things in desperation...they have confidence in HOW they play and killer instinct often puts you in a vulnerable position if it doesn't work in your favour.

I'm buying into what they're selling. We say they "sit back" when they have a lead but they don't really change what they're doing out there a whole lot. The other teams may just press more and that can be opportunities for us.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, PeteyBoeser said:

What are you talking about?   We're up 3-2 in the series with a 3rd sting goalie and until last game our most skilled forward was a no show. 

Hard to have killer instinct when you're missing core contributors,  but yet,  they're getting just enough...  And finding ways to win.   When looking on paper, we had no hope in hell against these guys. 

Now that Petey seems to be finding his game,  and our bottom 6 are fresh hungry and better than theirs,  we might have a chance to win by more than one goal...  But who really cares?   A wins a win.   LFG!! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I see this picture I think of how stupid it is to have a three lane bridge when a six to eight lane bridge would have been far better. 

Acceptance is the last stage of 'Urban-grief', PB! I just recall the beautiful morns the wife & I would drive over, en route to my fav Yukon Breaky at The Tomahawk! & my word, it's been 20 yrs...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1