GDT - CANUCKS vs OILERS. GAME 6 - Finish Them! 5pm PST.

37 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Keep in mind that the Lions Gate bridge was built in 1937-38. Vancouver population was approx 245k and Greater Vancouver was 260k. In 2024, Vancouver population is approx 681k and Greater Vancouver is 2.6m ( or 10X times what it was 87 years ago ).

Yep and the Port Mann was rebuilt and is now the widest bridge on earth. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Putting on the mud to keep the summer bugs away. An Edmonton way of life. 

Mosquitoes so big they carry away livestock. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Johnny said:

It WAS built in 1937

And the decks of the bridge were completely replaced within the last decade or so. The transportation infrastructure in this region can’t be stuck in the 30s. 

10 minutes ago, SuchaNuxtalgia said:

The shoulda' had Sasq climb atop,  holding his Mugwamp, Fay Wray.

Woulda' made a heckuva' horror-flick!

I don’t understand what you are trying to say

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Remember when Oiler fans were wondering before this series started, who they would play in Round 3?

Ahhhhhh, memories....

in round 3 they'll be playing the putt putt course at the West Ed mall

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

I'm guessing that the Coach has told McDavid and co. to dive or draw penalties as much as possible, because they're scoring most of their goals that way. McDavid doesn't actually need to do that, and it's embarrassing because he's such a talented player.

reminds me of that lousy Mighty Ducks movie... coach Bombay telling the kids to flop everywhere

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And the decks of the bridge were completely replaced within the last decade or so. The transportation infrastructure in this region can’t be stuck in the 30s. 

The engineering of the superstructure can only handle so much weight. Just adding more lanes isnt always easy

also the bridge being designed by the same designer as the Golden Gate probably makes for a harder decision to replace or even alter it too much.

then the road that winds through stanley park would need to be widened to support more traffic and then theres the city streets, this would surely involve cutting down lots of trees

there would still be a bottleneck somewhere in that stretch. Is it worth spending hundreds of millions to just relocate a pinch point in traffic??

edit - lions gate was only copying golden gate. The original Johnson street bridge in Victoria shared the same designer as the Golden Gate

Edited by Johnny
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny said:

I don’t understand what you are trying to say

It's a 'cultural-blend' of the classic 1980's Kokanee(Sask/Mugwamp) ads, with 1930's King Kong(cos' WTF not?!).  The Empire St Bldg has nuthin' on the gorgeous Lion's Gate Bridge! 

Think I read it was the same bloke who designed San Fran's Golden Gate. Anyways, old & small..but a mighty beautiful sight.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yep and the Port Mann was rebuilt and is now the widest bridge on earth. 

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There's this dang park in the way, and not quite freeway friendly road infrastructure at either end.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Bless his heart. He’s been a warrior and even warriors make mistakes. 

But inexperienced warriors, we dump on every little mistake.

Oh well. Playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Johnny said:

The engineering of the superstructure can only handle so much weight. Just adding more lanes isnt always easy

also the bridge being designed by the same designer as the Golden Gate probably makes for a harder decision to replace or even alter it too much.

Funny you posted this while I was typing the same thing

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I see this picture I think of how stupid it is to have a three lane bridge when a six to eight lane bridge would have been far better. 

2nd Narrows should have been 6-8 lanes.