[Rumour] Shane Pinto contract update

Posted (edited)

Senators Notes: Pinto, Goaltending, Zub

May 17th, 2024 at 6:41pm CST • By Brian La Rose

The Senators and Shane Pinto were trying to work out a new contract before the center suited up for the United States at the Worlds, reports Postmedia’s Bruce Garrioch.  However, there seems to be a sizable gap in negotiations.  Garrioch adds that both sides are interested in working out a longer-term agreement (five or six years) but there’s a big gap in the money.  Pinto’s camp is reportedly seeking around $5MM per season on a deal like that while Ottawa is coming in considerably lower.

The 23-year-old missed the first half of the season after being suspended for violating the league’s gambling policy which resulted in him accepting a contract for the pro-rated league minimum of $775K upon his return.  Pinto wound up being productive for the Sens down the stretch, notching nine goals and 18 assists while logging over 18 minutes a night, solid second-line numbers.  Pinto isn’t yet arbitration-eligible so it’s possible that these talks could drag out as they did a year ago before the suspension came down.

More on Ottawa from Garrioch:

The Senators shopped goaltender Joonas Korpisalo at the trade deadline but unsurprisingly, there wasn’t any interest. It was a rough first year in Ottawa for the 30-year-old who posted a 3.27 GAA and a .890 SV% in 55 games, hardly the return they were hoping for after giving him a five-year, $20MM contract back in July.  Considering how the season went, a trade seems unlikely without them either retaining money or adding a sweetener so it might be easier for them to move the final year and $2.75MM of Anton Forsberg’s contract.

Garrioch added that Ottawa kicked the tires on acquiring Linus Ullmark from the Bruins at the trade deadline. It’s widely believed that Boston will ultimately move Ullmark over the summer so it wouldn’t be surprising to see the teams rekindle discussions on that front in the coming weeks.  Ullmark has one year left on his contract which carries a $5MM price tag and had a 2.57 GAA with a .915 SV% in 40 games this season after taking home the Vezina Trophy in 2022-23.

Defenseman Artem Zub is believed to be a possible trade target this summer according to Garrioch. The 28-year-old has been a steady presence in their top four in recent years and is coming off a career-best 25 points in 69 games.  Signed at a $4.6MM price tag through 2026-27, he’d make sense as a trade target for several teams if GM Steve Staios opts to shake up his back end without moving his top pieces.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/05/senators-notes-pinto-goaltending-zub.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC

After we win the cup with Silovs, we trade Demko to OTT for Pinto and Zub.

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Petey

Joshua-Pinto-Garland

PDG-Suter-Podkolzin

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Zub

Soucy-Myers

Silovs

DeSmith

Back to back Cup champions!

<wakes up next to @Alflives empties>

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol this Pinto guy is in for the money. Dubois 2.0, probably even worse. 

Ottawa and Leafs in for big moves in the offseason. 

He puts up numbers and should get paid for it. 
Ottawa is notoriously cheap.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HKSR said:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Petey

Joshua-Pinto-Garland

PDG-Suter-Podkolzin

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Zub

Soucy-Myers

Silovs

DeSmith

Trading Demko would be cold blooded…. And I could see JR doing it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, high flying Vee said:

Trading Demko would be cold blooded…. And I could see JR doing it. 

He almost traded Petey.  So trading Demko wouldn't be a reach IMO.  Actually, I expect Demko to be traded at some point, either in the summer of 2024 or the summer of 2025...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Zub please.  A defensive right side of 

Tanev - Zub - Myers 

Man that would be filthy.

Not that much puck skill there. It would be fun anyway.

Hronek?                                                                                                               Willander in binocular view...

On 5/17/2024 at 7:29 PM, HKSR said:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Petey

Joshua-Pinto-Garland

PDG-Suter-Podkolzin

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Zub

Soucy-Myers

Silovs

DeSmith

..or we trade Silovs with his value at an all time high.  Lots of teams looking to upgrade goaltending and this playoff stretch has suddenly put Silovs into conversations as being a legit starter.

There are moves to be made as we actually have players teams want for once.

Moves similar to this are possible:

Silovs for Zub

Hronek+Mikheyev for Crouse

Sign Lindholm and a Tanev/Roy level guy

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Crouse-Petterson-XX

Podkolzin-Lindholm-Garland

Karlsson-Blueger- PDG

Hughes-Tanev/Roy

Zadorov-Zub

Soucy-Myers

Juulsen

Demko

DeSmith

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Provost said:

..or we trade Silovs with his value at an all time high.  Lots of teams looking to upgrade goaltending and this playoff stretch has suddenly put Silovs into conversations as being a legit starter.

There are moves to be made as we actually have players teams want for once.

Silovs for Zub

Sign Lindholm and a Tanev/Roy level guy

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Crouse-Petterson-XX

Podkolzin-Lindholm-Garland

Karlsson-Blueger- PDG

Hughes-Tanev/Roy

Zadorov-Zub

Soucy-Myers

Juulsen

Demko

DeSmith

I would do both of those trades. Crouse and Zub would make us even harder to play against and Zub might also fit well with Hughes. It looks like you're sacrificing re-signing Joshua to bring in Crouse, but that's a trade-off I would make even though I really like Joshua.

If we're trading Silovs I would be looking to draft a goalie with our 3rd rounder this year though. Even if we get another 5 good years out of Demko, it takes at least that long to develop a goalie and I don't think we have any starter caliber prospects in the system after Silovs.

Edit: I wonder if we could somehow also grab McBain if we're trading with Utah.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Upvote 1

On 5/20/2024 at 10:32 AM, Diamonds said:

I would do both of those trades. Crouse and Zub would make us even harder to play against and Zub might also fit well with Hughes. It looks like you're sacrificing re-signing Joshua to bring in Crouse, but that's a trade-off I would make even though I really like Joshua.

If we're trading Silovs I would be looking to draft a goalie with our 3rd rounder this year though. Even if we get another 5 good years out of Demko, it takes at least that long to develop a goalie and I don't think we have any starter caliber prospects in the system after Silovs.

Edit: I wonder if we could somehow also grab McBain if we're trading with Utah.

There could likely be enough money with that roster to fit Joshua… but he may also likely get a dumb offer for more than he is worth.  He has made little in his career, so he has to chase the money even if it is for a bottom feeder.  This is his only big payday.  I don’t want it to be us that overpay him.

Zub+Tanev/Roy costs about the same as Hronek+a fringe NHLer for the same two roster spots.  Crouse saves us a little Vs. Mikheyev.  So we have filled holes without spending much of our extra cap space.  That money gets used for Zadorov+Lindholm.

Crouse has to be available for us to trade for him in the first place. Don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble because I’d love to have him here too, but there is no indication from anywhere that he’s a trade candidate. As such, hypothetically should expect to overpay to obtain him because we would be far from the only team coveting a player like him.

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2024 at 11:23 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

He almost traded Petey.  So trading Demko wouldn't be a reach IMO.  Actually, I expect Demko to be traded at some point, either in the summer of 2024 or the summer of 2025...

You don't get the Cup being "Mr Nice Guy".  Sometimes you have to be ruthless.

• Cheers 1

On 5/17/2024 at 7:29 PM, HKSR said:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Petey

Joshua-Pinto-Garland

PDG-Suter-Podkolzin

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Zub

Soucy-Myers

Silovs

DeSmith

Did Zub already decline a trade to Van? 

I can't remember. 

On 5/18/2024 at 11:23 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Almost? The most we heard is Carolina could have possibly reached out

10 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Almost? The most we heard is Carolina could have possibly reached out

I bet the offer was Necas + kotkiniemi, the rumour was a substantial offer that made them think about what they could get for him lol, looking back if we did not sign him before the playoffs he would prob be looking at 2 million less now but I bet they signed him to try to come down a very nervous young man 

15 hours ago, canucks curse said:

The 1:1

To Jersey 

Vezina Runner up Demko 

To VAN 

nico hirschier

The Bundle 

To Jersey 

Demko 

VAN 3rd

To VAN 

Nemec

Mercer

If we trade Demko we will miss the playoffs.

Silovs filled in admirably, but he wasn't close to replacing Demko. With Demko, we prevent a lot of goals that Silovs let in and probably beat the Oilers.

An Elite goaltender like Demko could take us to a Cup (think of Price on a much worse Habs team).

I expect a down year from us since we likely won't have the hot start we did last year (hopefully EP isn't broken).

I think we mainly need more offense (specifically forwards) and we should be good to go.

On 5/19/2024 at 3:22 PM, Provost said:

Silovs for Zub

15 hours ago, canucks curse said:

The 1:1

To Jersey 

Vezina Runner up Demko 

To VAN 

nico hirschier

Both you dudes need to put down the BC Kush.. You've had enough for the day!

49 minutes ago, c00kies said:

If we trade Demko we will miss the playoffs.

Silovs filled in admirably, but he wasn't close to replacing Demko. With Demko, we prevent a lot of goals that Silovs let in and probably beat the Oilers.

An Elite goaltender like Demko could take us to a Cup (think of Price on a much worse Habs team).

I expect a down year from us since we likely won't have the hot start we did last year (hopefully EP isn't broken).

I think we mainly need more offense (specifically forwards) and we should be good to go.

my ho with Demko we win that series, I did not like some go the goals from distance that beat siloves from Ekholm and Bouchard, I think with a healthy top firing Demko we win in 7 or 6  against EDM.

what it does show is in Van, you cannot play your no 1 into the ground, he played over 50 games in 6 weeks less than other final 4 starters played in the season 

especially with all star, he played too much. I do like a silovs to NJ or OTT for a top young player - Silovs + Podz for nemec or Luke Hughes 

Zub is already 28, pass please.

2 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

my ho with Demko we win that series, I did not like some go the goals from distance that beat siloves from Ekholm and Bouchard, I think with a healthy top firing Demko we win in 7 or 6  against EDM.

what it does show is in Van, you cannot play your no 1 into the ground, he played over 50 games in 6 weeks less than other final 4 starters played in the season 

especially with all star, he played too much. I do like a silovs to NJ or OTT for a top young player - Silovs + Podz for nemec or Luke Hughes 

Zub is already 28, pass please.

Almost all of those shots from distance dinged in off the bar.. meaning they were basically perfect shots. People keep saying Demko would have stopped them and I see no reason to believe that. 

To win with Demko .. Demko needs to be available to play and he has shown repeatedly that isn't particularly likely. 

I'm not saying we should trade him... but a smart GM would take a look at what might be available if they did. 

Like what kind of player/package could you get for a Demko-Hronek package.. or a Demko-Hronek-1st package.... or even Demko-Hronek-Petey and a 1st package.