[PGT] Vancouver at Edmonton - Round 2 - Game 6

Posted (edited)

A lot of critisism for some games but its a awesome season no matter how the game ends on monday. Iam proud of this team and the whole franchise.

They turnd it around and in a short time how nobody could expect this. They are still young, grown together and earn important experiences for the future.

Go Canucks go

Edited by German Canuck
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

A lot of critisism for some games but its a awesome season no matter how the game ends on monday. Iam proud of this team and the whole franchise.

They turnd it around and in a short time how nobody could expect this. They are still young, grown together and earn important experiences for the future.

Go Canucks go

8qjq69.jpg

• Like 2

I think the atmosphere of the crowd in Vancouver will get to the Oilers. They will make mistakes but it is our guys responsibilities to take advantage of those mistakes. Hit them where it hurts when they mess up. Whether that’s a hit, block, or goal. 

I’m positive we will see a much different effort from the team next game. Today the Oilers were trying to survive. On Monday we will be in the same fight. 

3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Very few guys had a good game. 

No need to scapegoat them. 

Man if Sutherland refs we have an excuse if we lose...but I think canucks want to win it at home..  plus we are playing with house money.  We wen further then expected.  But I really wanna win for bragging rights,

Posted (edited)

A Young team likes us has a limit. I assumed we reached a limit. I have bad feeling about game 7. Silov will allow few soft goals early in 1st period, then that's it. Better team deserves to advance. We aren't Better team. Coilers are.

Edited by vancouveryou
  • Wiener 1

Well the team played terrible. Hughes was bad, made quite a few mistakes. Myers/Soucy wasn't good. None of the forwards brought their game may be except for Hoglander. Every powerplay we waste 40-60 seconds trying to enter the offensive zone lol. 

1 Dman looked like a Norris winner out there and it's not Hughes. Hughes took a few bruising hits vs Nashville, but hard not to point out his performance now that Bouchard is playing so well. 

Hope Coach Tocchet can reset the team and get them to play like game5/1. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, vancouveryou said:

A Young team likes us has a limit. I assumed we reached a limit. I have bad feeling about game 7. Silov will allow few soft goals early in 1st period, then that's it. Better team deserves to advance. We aren't Better team. Coilers are.

And the Oilers have weaknesses that can be exploited. I'm not at all convinced that the Canucks are cooked. Nor do I buy the narrative (that the media has tried to force feed us) that the Oilers are the better team.

Edited by syntheticity
  • Cheers 1

Just love how there was no fake outrage over Derek Ryan slew footing Miller because we all know damn well what the national response would have been if McWhiner or Crysaitl were on the receiving end of that. 

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Imagine if roles are reversed here? Prob a multi game susy if it's Soucy on McD

That's a McSorely type play but you won't ever hear a peep from anyone because of who delivered it. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Once again I’m here to say that I’m sorry - once again I became emotionally invested in the Canucks for game six - it’s my fault they lost…

Before game five I made an announcement to everyone on the unofficial fan forum that when I don’t give a shit about the Canucks they win and when I care too much about them they lose - so for game seven I am going to say that they are dead to me…

So right here and now I declare that I don’t give a shit about the Canucks anymore - I’m going to be focussing on much more important matters for the duration of game seven

The Big Lebowski Whatever GIF

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Well the team played terrible. Hughes was bad, made quite a few mistakes. Myers/Soucy wasn't good. None of the forwards brought their game may be except for Hoglander. Every powerplay we waste 40-60 seconds trying to enter the offensive zone lol. 

1 Dman looked like a Norris winner out there and it's not Hughes. Hughes took a few bruising hits vs Nashville, but hard not to point out his performance now that Bouchard is playing so well. 

Hope Coach Tocchet can reset the team and get them to play like game5/1. 

He will get them as prepared as much as possible.  I thought it was a surprisingly poor game from the Canucks and strong outing from the Oil thus the larger deficit in the score.  In the third alone, saw many missed passes and shots, off-sides, even two Canucks skating into each other and knocking down. Even noticed Garland shaking his head on the bench. One of the those games - tend not to dwell on it too much and focus on game 7.  There is always a danger of a bad bounce so not a fan of game 7 - but would still rather have it home than on the road anytime. They worked hard all year for this extra game.

Hope the fans at Rogers can "push" the team through - cheer for every hit, shot, goal, traffic etc.  Chant players names - lets really get behind them.  If they get behind, cheer them even louder. 

Hope the play their best game of the year - try to win each period and whatever happens - happens.  Go Canucks.   (Plus post up the ESPN NHL bracket on the Canucks bulletin board - as a reminder)

Edited by hockeyfan-observer

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Depressing, and makes me scared for game 7. Especially now with Demko ruled out.

Welp.

Silovs has more playoff experience than Demko and DeSmith combined, also has more wins than both of them, I’d be scared if Demko was in, go Arturs.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Vintage 1

It's a bit crazy to me how this team played like two different teams within 48 hours. I wonder if they knew game 6 wasn't do or die so they just let themselves off the hook. 

Silovs wasn't great this game and if Demko isn't returning I am very worried about game 7.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Silovs has more playoff experience than Demko and DeSmith combined, also has more wins than both of them, I’d be scared if Demko was in, go Arturs.

i would not be scared if we were playing our vezina finalist, number of playoff games played is irrelevant

much more scared playing our AHL starter who has played well for us but has also started showing some cracks

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

i would not be scared if we were playing our vezina finalist, number of playoff games played is irrelevant

much more scared playing our AHL starter who has played well for us but has also started showing some cracks

Demko hasn’t played in months and the playoffs are a whole new animal. Silovs is a major reason we are where we are. I’d rather go to war with someone that has battled beside me than someone who looked good in basic training.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

This was pretty clearly the worst game of the playoffs so far for the Canucks. But it was not nearly as bad as the score suggests. Here are some comments.

1. Things got off to a bad start on the Holloway goal. Petey made a pretty weak effort to check Holloway who then skated through both Hughes and Hronek and beat Silovs from in close. All four players played poorly on that play, even Silovs. Not saying it was an easy save, but he opened the 5-hole instead of getting his pad on the ice.

2. Continuing with Silovs, he has been a great story in the playoffs but he had a bad game tonight. The Bouchard goal -- an unscreened, undeflected shot from the blueline is a goal NHL goalies rarely give up. I won't go through all the goals but the expected goals against tonight was 2.73, compared with actual goals against of 5. A goalie having a good night would stop at least a couple of those goals and the game would seem very different. Unfortunately, Tocchet confirmed that Demmer will not be ready for game 7 and I guess Tocchet goes back to Silovs. I would be inclined to go with DeSmith. The Silovs magic could not go on forever and he must be pretty tired by now.

3. It might seem hard to believe, but the Canucks and Oilers were almost exactly even in expected goals, scoring chances, and high danger chances. One problem was that the Canucks missed the net on a lot of their chances and could not covert on their looks on the PP. So they ended up with only 15 shots. They need to focus and actually get the puck to the net. And Skinner played well. 

3. One thing Edmonton changed up for tonight was they tried to avoid the Miller-McDavid matchup. In the end, both Lindy and Blueger played against McDavid more than Miller (although it was fairly even). McDavid had a good game, ended up with 3 assists and was +3. On home ice the Canucks will be able to get back to the Miller-McDavid matchup.

4. Despite playing against McDavid less than usual, the Miller line did not have good night, generating only 2 scoring chances with 4 against (and giving up 2 goals). The best Canuck line tonight was Lindy-Petey-Hoggy. They got the only goal on a very nice play by Petey and Hoggy and outchanced the Oilers 6-3 when they were on the ice at 5-on-5. They won the expected goal battle comfortably and were the only Canuck line to do that. That line looks good.

5. The Blueger line was okay, playing the Oilers close to even despite getting their share of tough minutes. The 4th line could not carry their adrenaline rush from last game forward to this game. That is how it goes. Getting back into the line-up, as PDG and Podz did last game, always generates an adrenaline boost but it can be hard to maintain. They did not hurt the team, but Corsi was 9-3 against when they were on the ice.

6. As for the D, Myers and Soucy were good. Myers has really found himself this season (or maybe Adam Foote found him and told him where he was). And Hughes is always good, even though he is wearing down. But, even tonight scoring chances were 10-6 with him on the ice at 5-on-5. However, the Zadorov-Cole pairing got torched in the underlying stats despite having by far the easiest minutes. Cole particularly struggled. At even strength he played only about 12 minutes and scoring chances were 9 to 1 against with him on the ice.  On the Kane goal he screened the goalie and failed to block the shot. I am sure he would have blocked the shot if he could but the play moved quickly and he didn't. In his post-game comments Tocchet emphasized the value of experience so I guess he will stick with Cole even though Cole is having a terrible series. Cole helped the Canucks this year but at this stage the tank seems to be empty.

7. This game was not as bad as the score suggests, although the Canucks definitely were not sharp enough or energetic enough.  But I expect them to be re-energized for the next game. If Demko were playing (and healthy) I would actually be pretty confident about the next game. As it is, I just hope Silovs and the entire team can have a big bounce-back game. Having the fans behind them and having last change should help a lot. And I wonder about line-up changes. I do not pretend to have a good read on the situation but, if it were up to me, I would make 2 or 3 changes. I would give Mik another shot and see if he can provide some energy. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Demko hasn’t played in months and the playoffs are a whole new animal. Silovs is a major reason we are where we are. I’d rather go to war with someone that has battled beside me than someone who looked good in basic training.

Lol it's been a few weeks not months, and Demko is far more battle tested than Silvos...

Edited by syntheticity
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Lol it's been a few weeks not months, and Demko is far more battle tested than Silvos...

True, he came back for a bit after being out before that, point is Silovs has been battling with the team, Demko has been having spa days, I’m  hanging my hat on Silovs, he’s earned it.

You just have to put this game behind you and focus in game 7.

Vancouver positioned themselves to have a cushion if they didn't bring their A game or couldn't meet Edmonton's level in game 6.

Now the Canucks are positioned to win game 7 at home. Full confidence in our Canucks and believe Monday will be a great game between two hungry teams. Its been stated before, the fans have been insanely awesome and the team has fed off that. Game 7, edge Vancouver.

No need to focus on the white noise of it all. Edmonton has elite top of the lineup talent, we can appreciate that. Vancouver has the better overall team with better depth. So while media can focus on some of the best talent the league has and yes to be frank most media are on the Oilers bandwagon. Means nothing. I thought the Canucks were and are the better team and it will show on Monday.

Silovs has been amazing, 23 year old stepping in like he has there is no doubt regardless of Demko's health that this is his net right now.

Reset, focus, and enjoy Monday!!!

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

True, he came back for a bit after being out before that, point is Silovs has been battling with the team, Demko has been having spa days, I’m  hanging my hat on Silovs, he’s earned it.

Recency bias.

Demko has proven himself (at a vezna calibre level) over a much longer and more statistically significant stretch. Silvos has been good this playoffs, but has been in the AHL with average numbers for most of the year, and he wasn't outstanding tonight. One of his weaknesses is that he doesn't track the puck nearly as well as Demko does.

If we get past the Oilers, and Demko is ready to go for Thurs, he likely goes back in against Dallas.

Edited by syntheticity