As a Member of this Forum, Where Does Your Handle Originate From?

High school nickname. I was pretty intense during my football career and tackled people like Bill Goldberg. My name is Cory and after a big hit and big celebration one of my friends said calm down Coryberg and my friends ran with it. 

• Cheers 2

On 5/20/2024 at 12:14 PM, kilgore said:

Interesting forum topic.  Keep our  brains from going into overload thinking about the game tonight

Mine started when I joined CDC.  It was a homage to the lead character in a Kurt Vonnegut novel, Breakfast of Champions.  A book that was one of a few that changed my thinking when I was younger.  Don't want to get too deep but it put the final nail in the coffin for me escaping the effects of growing up in an fundamentalist religious house.  The premise, that the main character finds out he is just a character in a novel, and the author, like god, is a big jokester putting him into different situations.

Don't take life too seriously.  If good things happen, if tragedy happens, its out of your hands.  If there is a God, he's an amoral jokester.  Kind of a cynical way to view the universe, I admit.  But the best I've found. That philosophy had helped me live with the Canucks 54 years of suffering and teasing us.

I have to admit, for a long time now every time I see one of your posts I say in my head the Trout part of your name not just the Kilgore part. Was a great novel. 
It has been decades, but was it BoC where Kilgore walks through a ditch and the petro chemicals in the run off water harden into plastic on his pants? Or was that another Vonnegut novel i read in my youth? It stuck with me though over the years. What a descriptive writer. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/19/2024 at 9:47 AM, Rocket-68 said:

Apologies if this was posted / started elsewhere but I couldn't find it in my searches. It always interests me reading someone's online handle / persona / etc and wondered the origins of same. For example, I used to play First Person Shooter games way back in the day when the internet was still in its infancy. The game I played a lot was Unreal Tournament. My gaming name was "LUCIFERS HAMMER" well because I would hammer pretty much everyone I played against globally, for the most part. There was always some snot nosed 12 year old that handed me my lunch laughing all the way because he played UT 19 hours a day and was well versed in the game's intricacies while I had a real life . For those players I would pull out the Aimbots now and then if they were really obnoxious on how "good they were and I sucked" (oh dear me, am I ever dating myself) and obliterate them - on the servers I could hack my way past. If any of you were the player named "The Hand of God" or "Black Knight", I was the one that blew you up every once in a while using aimbots - no judgement, they were used against me all the time. What a delicious experience those gaming days were, but I digress.

Rocket-68 ... born in 1968 and my favorite Canucks player was Pavel "the Rocket" Bure. I have had many Canucks players that I really liked over the years and if I had a gun put to my head to list my top 5, here they would be:

1) Pavel Bure

2) Todd Bertuzzi

3) Sedins (can't separate them)

4) Ryan Kesler

5) Stan Smyl

with Honourable Mentions going to Tony Tanti and Thomas Gradin.

What is your story?

EDIT: Mod can move this to the appropriate forum if not placed correctly.

I always assumed a slight nod to Brocket-99. Kind of glad to find out 'not at all'.

• Cheers 1

On 5/20/2024 at 12:53 PM, Chon derry said:

Don cherrys pronounciation of Bieksa - bieska. Louongo- lolongo

His best one is OEL's - Oliver Lawsom Tossum

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2024 at 12:14 PM, kilgore said:

Interesting forum topic.  Keep our  brains from going into overload thinking about the game tonight

Mine started when I joined CDC.  It was a homage to the lead character in a Kurt Vonnegut novel, Breakfast of Champions.  A book that was one of a few that changed my thinking when I was younger.  Don't want to get too deep but it put the final nail in the coffin for me escaping the effects of growing up in an fundamentalist religious house.  The premise, that the main character finds out he is just a character in a novel, and the author, like god, is a big jokester putting him into different situations.

Don't take life too seriously.  If good things happen, if tragedy happens, its out of your hands.  If there is a God, he's an amoral jokester.  Kind of a cynical way to view the universe, I admit.  But the best I've found. That philosophy had helped me live with the Canucks 54 years of suffering and teasing us.

I thought it was because you loved the smell of napalm in the morning. Who knew.

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

On 5/20/2024 at 4:04 PM, King Heffy said:

image.png.05e0ab94ad468b57093d5a17c36fcea0.png

On 5/20/2024 at 4:34 PM, canuck73_3 said:

Need to try that one 

I hear it's a bit salty....:classic_tongue:

Of course, that cuts down on the need for pretzels....:classic_cool:

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

The Colt 45s are not just a good pistol but the original name of the Houston Astros.  Houston is where I live, all 10,000 square miles of it, with 8-million others, and unfortunately27 lanes of traffic on one of the freeways--thought your commute was bad.

Edited by The Colt 45s
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2