As a Member of this Forum, Where Does Your Handle Originate From?

1 minute ago, The Colt 45s said:

The Colt 45s are not just a good pistol but the original name of the Houston Astros.  Houston is where I live, all 10,000 square miles, with 8-million us, and 27 lanes of traffic--thought your commute was bad.

Is Huston an open carry city? Lots of people packing down that way? 

Been my online handle since the mid 90's,  posting and writing fan fiction for the old pc science fiction game, Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri.   Name originates from cricket - I was an opening fast bowler - think baseball starter - and came back on later in rhe match to bowl googlies - similar to baseball's knuckleball

• Cheers 1

Well, simply because when it comes to genius and deep serious thought - there is simply no one else to set higher standards.   Besides my Fav handle I wanted - "Bork-D-Bork-D-Bork" - was taken, so went with the obvious choice.....

Wile E Coyote's business card 

swedish-chef-muppets.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

My favourite Canuck, and arguably one of their most dynamic defensemen in the club’s history. I felt shocked and honoured when the name was still available! What incredible luck!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Slegr said:

My favourite Canuck, and arguably one of their most dynamic defensemen in the club’s history. I felt shocked and honoured when the name was still available! What incredible luck!

Slegr was great.

His shot was wicked,just wish he could have controlled it better.

• Haha 2

I was kind of like that Gaudette guy sucks and I was also thinking of the little green guy on the flintstones image.jpeg.959ef70b88d1b38053f9329f30c6822f.jpeg and then after some googling I came across 

What does gad zukes mean?
[gad-ZOOKS] Part of speech: exclamation. Origin: English, late 17th century. 1. An exclamation of surprise or annoyance.
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)

Pretty easy for me, high school nickname. I’ve used it since I first joined CDC. 

People that ask why my friends gave me the nickname get told it’s because I played receiver as a football player and at the time one of the more popular players was LA Rams receiver Flipper Anderson. My closest friends know the real reason….

Edited by Flipper
  • Cheers 2

Didn't put too much thought into it. First used "syntheticity" as a dating profile username, back when usernames on dating sites was a thing. The name brings back some nostalgia and memories of crazy, fun experiences in different places I lived in & travelled through during that time, I suppose. Nothing really to do with hockey at all. The name just popped into my head when signing up to the site, as a username I used in the past; and it was available, so I used it. 🙃

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

I read a fun book called “The ballad of the whiskey robber” a hilarious story if a semi pro goaltender who robbed banks on the side…true story! Here is the wiki write up. I mistakenly spelled the last name Umbrus, it was supposed to be Ambrus…but left it as such because I liked it lol

IMG_8579.png

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 3

Posted (edited)

Well mine was based on winning a cup within 50 years of the teams existence. Maybe I should change it to NucksIn50andcounting

Still stings losing that game 7 to Edmonton, but love the team and direction we are heading. 

Go Canucks :towel:

Edited by NucksIn50
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

Well, a number of years ago, I was part of a research team in Antarctica. We were stationed there for several months while we conducted experiments at a remote outpost. 

While we were there, a lot of strange things started happening. In the middle of the nights, the outpost would get frequently attacked but we couldn't see what it was that was attacking us. People then began to behave oddly, talking crazy, spewing negativity, whining, crying, rocking back and forth ... some even had to be put in a straightjacket. It was really scary.

During one afternoon, to ease the anxiety, team members cleared snow from around the outpost. Underneath the snow was all ice, so we built our own makeshift hockey rink. It was a great and welcome distraction from the growing fear and tension building within the camp. 

Since I was the only Canucks fan there, I always wore a 94 Black Skate jersey with Bure on the back. I didn't take it off and became known to the researchers simply as Bure. However, there was one Russian researcher on our team who knew the real Pavel Bure from his days on the Red Army team back in their homeland. Every time we'd see each other, he'd always greet me in a loud thick accent, "Ahhh, the Russian Rocket! He will save us!" 

Anyway ... to make a long story short ... I was tasked with making the hockey nets for our homemade rink. Luckily we had old fish nets, metal pipes, and a piles of wood and sticks all over the outpost. It took me a couple days but I made two sturdy, authentic looking hockey nets that you could easily use in any local rink.

When I brought them to the ice rink for everyone to see, for us to use, it lifted the team's spirits. People gasped, mouths agape, jaws dropped in awe of the glorious wonder of the hockey nets. Some team members even shed a tear as it reminded them of home and their childhood for a brief moment in time so far away. One team member was paralyzed in wonder, saying, "Wow! Those crossbars are beautiful. I've never seen such handcrafted beauty in all my life."

Then, as they stared at the nets, the team erupted in cheers and applause. I was overwhelmed and overcome with emotion. 

My Russian colleague stepped from the crowd toward me, smiling, clapping, and said ... "My friend, I no longer call you Russian Rocket. From now on, I call you ... Dr. Crossbar!"

Then, suddenly out of nowhere, we all heard a deafening CRACK from below our feet, deep under the ice ...

And then ...

I woke up. 

-------

Like I mentioned before, I made it up a number of years so I could comment on TSN Talkbacks on their articles. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, a number of years ago, I was part of a research team in Antarctica. We were stationed there for several months while we conducted experiments at a remote outpost. 

While we were there, a lot of strange things started happening. In the middle of the nights, the outpost would get frequently attacked but we couldn't see what it was that was attacking us. People then began to behave oddly, talking crazy, spewing negativity, whining, crying, rocking back and forth ... some even had to be put in a straightjacket. It was really scary.

During one afternoon, to ease the anxiety, team members cleared snow from around the outpost. Underneath the snow was all ice, so we built our own makeshift hockey rink. It was a great and welcome distraction from the growing fear and tension building within the camp. 

Since I was the only Canucks fan there, I always wore a 94 Black Skate jersey with Bure on the back. I didn't take it off and became known to the researchers simply as Bure. However, there was one Russian researcher on our team who knew the real Pavel Bure from his days on the Red Army team back in their homeland. Every time we'd see each other, he'd always greet me in a loud thick accent, "Ahhh, the Russian Rocket! He will save us!" 

Anyway ... to make a long story short ... I was tasked with making the hockey nets for our homemade rink. Luckily we had old fish nets, metal pipes, and a piles of wood and sticks all over the outpost. It took me a couple days but I made two sturdy, authentic looking hockey nets that you could easily use in any local rink.

When I brought them to the ice rink for everyone to see, for us to use, it lifted the team's spirits. People gasped, mouths agape, jaws dropped in awe of the glorious wonder of the hockey nets. Some team members even shed a tear as it reminded them of home and their childhood for a brief moment in time so far away. One team member was paralyzed in wonder, saying, "Wow! Those crossbars are beautiful. I've never seen such handcrafted beauty in all my life."

Then, as they stared at the nets, the team erupted in cheers and applause. I was overwhelmed and overcome with emotion. 

My Russian colleague stepped from the crowd toward me, smiling, clapping, and said ... "My friend, I no longer call you Russian Rocket. From now on, I call you ... Dr. Crossbar!"

Then, suddenly out of nowhere, we all heard a deafening CRACK from below our feet, deep under the ice ...

And then ...

I woke up. 

-------

Like I mentioned before, I made it up a number of years so I could comment on TSN Talkbacks on their articles. 

Is your real name Kurt Russell?

• Haha 1