As a Member of this Forum, Where Does Your Handle Originate From?

My longtime nickname has been Sooey (as in calling the pigs home).  When I was thinking of a name for my Hockey pool team I went with "Sooey's Steamers", in homage to Stanley "Steamer" Smyl.  When I signed up for CDC I was feeling lazy and uncreative and just kept the same name...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf’s name comes from so many thinking the old alien must be dead from all the booze, or at least pickled. But … 

Alf fuvking lives!!!! 

yes and he’s drunk. F off. 🤣

Hey, don't feel bad. The gwarrior is drunk right now too......

On 5/23/2024 at 2:49 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

Well, simply because when it comes to genius and deep serious thought - there is simply no one else to set higher standards.   Besides my Fav handle I wanted - "Bork-D-Bork-D-Bork" - was taken, so went with the obvious choice.....

Wile E Coyote's business card 

swedish-chef-muppets.gif

Damn it.  I like that too much. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 7:15 PM, Slegr said:

My favourite Canuck, and arguably one of their most dynamic defensemen in the club’s history. I felt shocked and honoured when the name was still available! What incredible luck!

I also liked Ryan Walter. 

Slegr's shot was something.   And we ducked in the stands too.  And that's ok. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf’s name comes from so many thinking the old alien must be dead from all the booze, or at least pickled. But … 

Alf fuvking lives!!!! 

yes and he’s drunk. F off. 🤣

I hope one day I’ll have an honour to buy you a drink.

• Cheers 1

Sargon of akkad,first recorded king of an empire in history.Mesopotamia.im a huge prehistory and antiquity buff.love seeing the patterns of religion,politics and environmental impact as it relates to our human development to our present times.love the mind blowing impact of Ancient Greek medicine ,philosophy,its impact on Buddhism,its later Aristotle influence on Christianity and Islam. Crash of Bronze Age civilizations while enduring attacks from the mysterious “sea people “! Great stuff.

• Cheers 3

Same name as the OG forum. 

When me and my buddy used to fantasy draft teams from each conference (to play eachother in the finals) in chel 04 WITH BIG HEAD MODE, I used to draft HV in the mid rounds because he brought speed. But..... he was light as a goddam feather, and any time a Stevens/Aucoin type would hit him at centre ice, he would get absolutely sent FLYING. And he always looked so gangly and pathetic every time it happened, and he just has the perfect name to fit that profile. His name always reminded me of that wimpy prince from the Holy Grail. It just became an obscure meme that look flight, and became my handle just cause... the memes. Oh, and I love the Canucks and Latvian hockey. That was back in the 10th grade, and haven't looked back since! 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

Well, it's a long story ...

During high school, I had recently moved to a small town in BC from Chicago. It was so hard. I was struggling to fit in and find friends. I was the outsider. I was also the rebel.

You could easily tell I stood out in my VW Bug and the sound of Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" as I pulled into the school parking lot each morning. 

Not long after moving there and settling into the school year, I was shocked to learn that my new home, the town council, had recently made dancing and rock music illegal. I was blown away! Couldn't believe it. It was almost as if I moved to "no fun Vancouver".

Young people in the town were so emotional about the loss of dancing and rock. It was non-stop crying, whining, rocking back and forth, protesting, were vocally negative, some even had to be put in a straightjacket. The town became so toxic.

My uncle was a doctor and one time while visiting he left a white doctors coat at my parents house. So, in an effort to be different, stand out, I decided to wear the doctors coat around town.

To pass the time, with hockey as my go to stress relief, also wearing my doctors coat, I used to practice slapshots in my driveway with a street hockey net in front the garage.

One day, taking slapshots, I met local country bumpkin Willard and his rebel friend Ariel who were walking by my driveway. They stopped and watched me as I kept shooting and hitting the crossbar with every shot. I could pretty much hit the crossbar at will. 

Willard suddenly piped up and said, "Boy, you sure are good at hitting that thing. I'm just not sure yer good." He looked to Ariel and started laughing out loud.

Just then, Ariel asked me a question that would change everything, "Hey, Dr. Crossbar," she cleverly called me, "can you help us get this town back to dancing and rocking?"

I stopped shooting. Thought to myself for a second, and then replied, "Sure. Let's dance!"

That's how it happened.

----

But, like I said, I made it up to post on TSN Talkbacks.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/22/2024 at 6:26 PM, Alflives said:

Is Huston an open carry city? Lots of people packing down that way? 

Texas is open carry. And yes lots of people pack down here, me and my wife included.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1