As a Member of this Forum, Where Does Your Handle Originate From?

It is our inalienable right.  And we don't want to be jacked by some gangbanger, try to call 9-1-1 and wait 10-15 mins for the police get there, yet be a victim in the shopping mall, school or HEB.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Colt 45s said:

It is our inalienable right.  And we don't want to be jacked by some gangbanger, try to call 9-1-1 and wait 10-15 mins for the police get there, yet be a victim in the shopping mall, school or HEB.

So keep something around that is incredibly dangerous to the owner and the family for the very low likelihood that you will need it or especially low likelihood that you be able to use it in a way that isn’t more destructive to bystanders and community. 
I will never understand the argument that the fix to too many bullets flying through the air is to pump more bullets into the air from untrained bystanders. 
But hey inalienable because you are part of a well organized militia I guess. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

So keep something around that is incredibly dangerous to the owner and the family for the very low likelihood that you will need it or especially low likelihood that you be able to use it in a way that isn’t more destructive to bystanders and community. 
I will never understand the argument that the fix to too many bullets flying through the air is to pump more bullets into the air from untrained bystanders. 
But hey inalienable because you are part of a well organized militia I guess. 

We are trained and often go to my buddy's range on his farm to shoot.  But ammo is no longer cheap.  Heck, we even have an adult Sunday School class we attend that goes shooting. We have a member in our class that Is a retired FBI firearms instructor.  I have learned so much from him 

Edited by The Colt 45s

• 2 weeks later...

My own hubris?

I was thinking about all the fans Benning etal were suckering into thinking this was a good team and the bought media selling lies to help the team.

Still some fans think about the shiny new penny today but not the season, standings, lack of future thinking.

Ego? Narcissism?  

On 5/22/2024 at 4:24 PM, The Colt 45s said:

The Colt 45s are not just a good pistol but the original name of the Houston Astros.  Houston is where I live, all 10,000 square miles of it, with 8-million others, and unfortunately27 lanes of traffic on one of the freeways--thought your commute was bad.

This guy was Mr Cool back in the day....

• Like 1

I'm not sure how old I was when I made this account on the old site. I believe I have had two usernames or two accounts both equally lame to me. 

I thought Delta was a cool word. I'm Swedish. Cringe. 

On 6/3/2024 at 8:46 AM, The Colt 45s said:

We are trained and often go to my buddy's range on his farm to shoot.  But ammo is no longer cheap.  Heck, we even have an adult Sunday School class we attend that goes shooting. We have a member in our class that Is a retired FBI firearms instructor.  I have learned so much from him 

okay I don’t want to detail the thread either so I’ll just make this one comment;

Wouldn’t you rather live in a society where no one has concealed guns in public, other than law enforcement, than one where everyone is packing heat? Which includes many mentally ill, angry, disturbed people. That is obviously overly generalized to make my point. 
The latter option just seems insane. Yes bad guys will still be able to find guns, but for the most part it’s gang members shooting other gang members here. The common lowly criminal here, probably a drug addict, would not have the connections or means to find and purchase a hand gun and ammo. 

Unfortunately it seems that America has chosen the latter and it’s so prevalent now that it’s impossible to now reverse that. Hell I’m as pacifist as they get, but even I’d probably buy a gun for protection if I resided in the US, especially the southern most ones, simply because everyone else, including irrational angry and disturbed people, are also carrying . Where a simple traffic dispute can devolve into shooting.

I’m just so thankful I live in a country where I can go out, say grocery shopping, and be assured that 99% of other shoppers are not weaponized with a gun. A much more peaceful, less stressful, way to live

Edited by kilgore

I wanted to use my favorite Canuck , Bure, but it was taken. Seemed easier to use my next favorite player from another sport. Edgar Martinez, a Seattle Mariner Legend. Nothing fancy , but he always got the job done.

• Cheers 1

On 5/26/2024 at 5:44 PM, Alflives said:

Alf’s name comes from so many thinking the old alien must be dead from all the booze, or at least pickled. But … 

Alf fuvking lives!!!! 

yes and he’s drunk. F off. 🤣

Classic, 

IMG_1550.gif

IMG_1160.jpeg

Over a decade ago Walking Dead had a "zombify photo" app and Bieksa was/is my favourite player. Originally I added zombie features to a photo of him and realized "hey, the words zombie and bieksa can be easily combined!"

I had the name Ken Hodge Jr before - named it that cause i didnt know what name to use and picked it not that I really new anything about the hockey player but when i was a kid for some reason i thought his rookie card was worth collecting so i have about 8 of them. I laugh cause they were never worth anything. I picked the name for fun. I always used a picture of Rick Rypien because he was one of my favorite players. Him and Burrows. 

I changed to Rypien Punch because I wanted the picture to be tied into the name better

There was a thread like this on the original CDC.

You mentioned "when the internet was in it's infancy", I am a bit of a Sci-fi nut, with Frank Herbert's Dune series one of my favourites.
My handle came from the 5th book in the original series "Heretic's of Dune".
When the internet first started, we all wanted to be anonymous, specially on Usenet. 
So I chose Heretic.

I too played fps, mainly Quake.  I even ran a clan - we were called The Quakean Peoples Front (a homage to Monty Python's Life Of Brian - Judean Peoples Front)

When Qtest was out, I played a game against Tim Willits - one of the id Software guys, and I loved the grenade launcher - he said I played a lot like Carmack - as he liked the grenades as well lol.

So yes, I have had this handle for a very long time.

I play Overwatch now, and yes, my name is Heretic in it too.  😉